SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Chain Cleaning - Various ways & methods

Tai

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

What's the usual life-span of the chain and sprocket? Longest I've heard so far is 35,000km... but mine only 17,000km already tightened to max...

And must we change the chain and sprocket together (i.e. as a set)? Or can we just change the chain only? I was told that we should because if we don't, then the wear and tear will be uneven (i.e. sprocket older than chain), and this will cause the chain to wear out faster. What's the general feel on this?

:smile:

Originally posted by friedfishz@Oct 19 2006, 01:29 AM

Hi,

What's the usual life-span of the chain and sprocket? Longest I've heard so far is 35,000km... but mine only 17,000km already tightened to max...

And must we change the chain and sprocket together (i.e. as a set)? Or can we just change the chain only? I was told that we should because if we don't, then the wear and tear will be uneven (i.e. sprocket older than chain), and this will cause the chain to wear out faster. What's the general feel on this?

:smile:

bro, mine is still strict oiling of chain at 300km or every refuel......have been using my chain for a year le ......coming to 20,000km, never tighten once.

but i guess it also depends on the chain that u put .....

i'm using did x ring 525 with orig honda sprockets.........

i read online before that we dun nidto change both sprocket and chain at one go but most of us do it cos imagine urself using seasoned chain on the new sprocket, i think it will lead to a different or rather uneven kinda wearing as the newer sprocket are much grippier and yet the seasoned chain's tensile strength has been very much reduced over time .......

so better change both at one go ...anyway, many shops can get ard $190 for good chain and sprocket sets

color=red]For our sins.........................HooAH[/color]

Originally posted by mudman@Oct 19 2006, 06:07 PM

bro, mine is still strict oiling of chain at 300km or every refuel......have been using my chain for a year le ......coming to 20,000km, never tighten once.

but i guess it also depends on the chain that u put .....

i'm using did x ring 525 with orig honda sprockets.........

i read online before that we dun nidto change both sprocket and chain at one go but most of us do it cos imagine urself using seasoned chain on the new sprocket, i think it will lead to a different or rather uneven kinda wearing as the newer sprocket are much grippier and yet the seasoned chain's tensile strength has been very much reduced over time .......

so better change both at one go ...anyway, many shops can get ard $190 for good chain and sprocket sets

wah 300km!!!! i guess i need to buck up liao -___-

anyway bros... any1 knows why it gets so hot on the engines?? didnt had that problem before... but recently its temperature like getting higher lei... check with 2 of my trusted bike shops and they both says ok or normal...

any advice?

Originally posted by m3ngl4ng@Oct 19 2006, 08:20 PM

wah 300km!!!! i guess i need to buck up liao -___-

anyway bros... any1 knows why it gets so hot on the engines?? didnt had that problem before... but recently its temperature like getting higher lei... check with 2 of my trusted bike shops and they both says ok or normal...

any advice?

:offtopic:

Anyway, hot engine is normal.

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Sh|nHwA-@Dec 21 2006, 02:52 PM

i also got this prob lehz..frm my front spocket..when i clutch in & roll the bike got the sound..but i let go clutch only dun haf liao..checked my chain..dunnoe is too tight or wat lehz :sian:

hi guys, me wld like to share wif u guys how i look after the chain since 1991 when i got my 1st bike. usualy i adjust myself, b 4 start da lube i clean da chain wif diesel to remove sand or wat ever stick on da chain then start da lube. after tt i had to ride da bike so my wheel will got dirty n tt's da tyme i start wash it. trust me guys yr bike will be nice to ride after all de abv.i got tis tips frm some1 very sinor then me. u need to b vy patience to apply tis

:giddy: once a rider is always a rider..

Originally posted by spider175@Dec 21 2006, 04:13 PM

hi guys, me wld like to share wif u guys how i look after the chain since 1991 when i got my 1st bike. usualy i adjust myself, b 4 start da lube i clean da chain wif diesel to remove sand or wat ever stick on da chain then start da lube. after tt i had to ride da bike so my wheel will got dirty n tt's da tyme i start wash it. trust me guys yr bike will be nice to ride after all de abv.i got tis tips frm some1 very sinor then me. u need to b vy patience to apply tis

Yups...thats roughly wat i do when i have the time...the sound is so much pleasant..

but just to share with all of you my experience..

I have spacers fixed under my back suspension...this contributes to weird or loud noises from the chain if its too loose or too tight...becos of the tensopn i guess. So everytime i get this sound, my mech will adjust my chain with me sitting on my bike.

After adjusting, I'd clean my chain with kerosene, after that wash with water and wipe till dry and clean...then spray with maxima chain lube...feels good riding after that.

BTW, during this rainy season....please wipe and lube ur chain more frequently...

tAnGoA~~!!

Originally posted by Fazli@Dec 25 2006, 04:24 PM

Engine oil + toothbrush would be better. Penetrants are harmful to the rings. Best is you get the proper chain cleaner spray.

GT85 doesn't harm O ring or chain, been using the product for 10yrs. One of the more gentle cleaners out that that remove the gunk but doesn't strip your chain bare of lubricant.

Use Motul Chain Cleaner.Brush off with toothbrush.Then spray Maxima Chain Wax.:thumb:

Bikes Previously Owned: Aprilia RS125, Kawasaki KRR150, Honda RVF400, Yamaha Spark135, Yamaha FZ6N, Suzuki Hayabusa ,Yamaha RXS115, Yamaha Spark135, Yamaha Nuovo Elegance, Yamaha Spark135, Yamaha FZ16,Honda Vtec1, Yamaha FZ1N, Honda Wave-S, Honda CB400X, Honda NC750X,Yamaha TMax 530, Vespa GTS 300, Yamaha XMAX 300 

Current Ride: Honda X-ADV 750

how about the Green can of grease similar to WD40 de?

http://w1.bikepics.com/pics/2006/04/17/bikepics-566090-150.jpg

ThEse aRe mOi haMmiEs tHey aRe cUte duN theY..

-----------------------------------------------------------------

2005 -> NSR150SP - FU3335H

2005 -> GSXR400P - FORGOT LO

2006 -> CBR400RRR - FP5868A

2006 -> VXR RUNNER - FBA9929H

2006 -> SUPER 4 SPEC III - FW56Y

------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------

DicKy diCky dOnkEy, moTheR hAd a bAybIe.. BayBie Die MoTheR CrY.. DicKy dIcKy dOnkEy

Honda Super 4 Ver S: Mar 02 - Sept 05

PGO Gmax 150: Sept 05 - Dec 05

Honda Super 4 Vtec 1: Nov 05 - Apr 07

Suzuki GSR 400: Apr 07 - Dec 09

Yamaha FZ1S: Nov 09 - May 13

Kawasaki GTR 1400: Jan 13 - ??? ??

Yamaha FZ16ST: May 14 - ??? ??

i'll advise using a softer compound brush actually.. just a personal opinion. besides, the manual does state that u shouldn't use brushes on the chain.. so it's better to use as soft a brush as possible to clean the chain.

for me i use GT85 or diesel.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:TU8QDjA-Of9VgM:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e2/That_%2770s_Show_logo.png

use paint brush (cut away the top abit so that the brush is shorter) and use kerosene...but make sure u put a newspaper below so that the floor will not be stain and no smoking cos kerosene catches fire easily.....

:goodluck: and try at ur own risk

Originally posted by jameskuwe@Dec 28 2006, 02:37 PM

hi, can i use this car jack for my vtec? pls advice

can bro ....

later go to ur bike and look at the Exhaust area near the rear tyre right below the swingarm pivot ... on the exhaust, there is this additional square piece sticking out with a hole in the centre... u can use this as the jacking point ...jus make sure bike is on flat ground and handlebar locked to either direction ...............then align the jack directly underneath it ........this should do the trick ,

am using this as well as this is a standard car jack

Maxima Contact Cleaner and a piece of cloth... Dats all.... :smile:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/kea182/PIC_0120-1.jpg http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/kea182/P1040229.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/kea182/PIC_0128.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/kea182/Signature01.jpg

Originally posted by mudman@Dec 28 2006, 04:06 PM

can bro ....

later go to ur bike and look at the Exhaust area near the rear tyre right below the swingarm pivot ... on the exhaust, there is this additional square piece sticking out with a hole in the centre... u can use this as the jacking point ...jus make sure bike is on flat ground and handlebar locked to either direction ...............then align the jack directly underneath it ........this should do the trick ,

is it safe to jack from that thing? after u say then i find out got that square metal. but it seems to be a thick layer leh. the propose for the things is to jack our bike one?

women are always the best goalkeeper

Originally posted by mudman@Dec 28 2006, 04:06 PM

can bro ....

is it safe to jack from that thing? after u say then i find out got that square metal. but it seems to be a thick layer leh. the propose for the things is to jack our bike one?

women are always the best goalkeeper