SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Group] Suzuki SV 400/650/1000

Metalfyre

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Originally posted by KooTeowMan@Feb 7 2006, 10:30 AM

Hi Lim and Neo,

after some thinking, I decide it.

And after 4 long hours in the void deck twisting and cutting the wires, it finally it worked!

Thanks for the advice guys, now, I just hope I do not get an electric shock while riding in the rain...

twist???

You should use proper insulated splices...

Agree! I always hate it when mesh anyhow cut wire to tab power and use insulation tape to tape them in place!

use proper connector or solder them in place... You got a Butane Torch, for goodness buy a solder attachment and do a proper job :mad:

91-92: 84 Yam LC125

95-97: 88 Suz GSX400R & 88 GSX400FW

97-01: 95 Suz Bandit400

01-04: 96 Suz DR650SE

04-11: 99 Suz SV650S

05-05: 94 Suz DR200SE

06-16: 06 Kia Rio 1.4(M) Sedan

11-12: 02 BMW F650GS

12-16 01 BMW R1150GS

When- Burgman Tmax ??

Originally posted by Limsteel@Feb 8 2006, 01:49 AM

Agree! I always hate it when mesh anyhow cut wire to tab power and use insulation tape to tape them in place!

use proper connector or solder them in place... You got a Butane Torch, for goodness buy a solder attachment and do a proper job :mad:

I use a butane powered soldering iron, but most of the time I use the standard crimp type connectors, terminal lugs and splices. Looks alot neater, cleaner and much more reliable than twist + tape up method...

Originally posted by nE0@Feb 8 2006, 01:51 AM

I use a butane powered soldering iron, but most of the time I use the standard crimp type connectors, terminal lugs and splices. Looks alot neater, cleaner and much more reliable than twist + tape up method...

Oh dear where to get these splices? Don't even know how they looked like.

Originally posted by weiz85@Feb 8 2006, 02:12 PM

send for inspection n see how haha

they check liao also blur lah, but they will act like they know.. haha

no sample bike to show stock condition of the lights..

http://www.picturesky.com/albums/userpics/11337/tri_daytona675.jpg

counting down again to the final class of license..

riding.. freedom.. it comes together..

Wanna share some info with fello SV riders....

Normal riding, I'll get to first reserve(blinking light) upon reaching about 245km, then full reserve at about 285km. Hitting 320 km on a tank of petrol.

Recently, I decided to do a little experiment on the fuel consumption of the 650. The bike has got a 16 litre tank capacity.

Three days ago, after refueling, I decided to ride the bike very gently.

Changing gear at 3000rpm, opening as little throttle as possible, riding at max 90kmh........

Results, first reserve(blinking light) starts at 305km, full reserve at 350km.

Still riding on the same tank without refueling, more than half the distance was covered with a pillion, now at 364km, no problem hitting 385km before the next refueling.... :cheer:

Amazing how much petrol consumption differs with the riding style.... has anyone tried this?

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-594683847743189197

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/brendanchin/Yee.jpg

Dudes, got a bad case of 1 piston running only...

Recently my bike hesitate alot like suddenly 1 piston not working.. this mostly happened during pickup (at traffic light or while over taking). As long as I throttle more than cruise, it hesitates... But once bike goes into cruise, engine will operate properly.

Just change plug, clean air filter... same effect... Plug 1 nice, 1 bit oily...

Check with Mech:

Fuel line need a bypass (slight blockage).

Mech: not likely, bike should continuously experience intermitten operation.

Mech says:

Carb need servicing and tuning.

What you guys think if I put in fuel treatment like STP carb/injector cleaner... Will it work for the time being until I get my bike to mech on Saturday? KNN riding with 1 piston is not fun when Lorry behind you. :giddy:

12-16 01 BMW R1150GS

When- Burgman Tmax ??

Originally posted by Limsteel@Feb 9 2006, 09:32 AM

Recently my bike hesitate alot like suddenly 1 piston not working.. this mostly happened during pickup (at traffic light or while over taking). As long as I throttle more than cruise, it hesitates... But once bike goes into cruise, engine will operate properly.

Check with Mech:

Mech says:

What you guys think if I put in fuel treatment like STP carb/injector cleaner... Will it work for the time being until I get my bike to mech on Saturday? KNN riding with 1 piston is not fun when Lorry behind you. :giddy:

I have no experience of these cleaners, do not if they're worth the $.

Yours sounds like fuel problem. Or 1 of the jet in your carn got jammed.

So the white plug should belong to the block with fuel problem, I hope. Oily plug sounds odd. Oily outside or oily inside?

The front plug is dry brownish (should be fine)

The rear plug is black (electrode) a thin layer of oil covered the thread.

Petrol I use ESSO/Mobil 92... last few days, tried E/M 98 also same problem.

So will try the cleaning STP additive OR VPower rumoured had cleaning properties, maybe today wack 1 tankful and see how. If this Cheap fix can help, I do not wanna touch the internal of carb.

Any more bright ideas?

Come to think of it, before this happened... my bike had a light fall in the carpark few weeks back... (nothing major, front wheel lost traction on mud when I pushing bike) carb affected?

Also my bike now parked in open air carpark. Constantly subject to Heavy rain during the Freaking rainy season where everyday rain! Can it be Rain Water leaking into the fuel tank? When the rain water reach a certain volume, it started sipping in together with the Petrol So causing constant hesitation?

12-16 01 BMW R1150GS

When- Burgman Tmax ??

Originally posted by Limsteel@Feb 9 2006, 11:05 AM

Also my bike now parked in open air carpark. Constantly subject to Heavy rain during the Freaking rainy season where everyday rain! Can it be Rain Water leaking into the fuel tank? When the rain water reach a certain volume, it started sipping in together with the Petrol So causing constant hesitation?

Yes, the water in the fuel tank is a common problem.

Got this extract from SV650.org for a DIY solution

"Yep, it happened to me as well. Thankfully I saw it when I was filling the tank, I haven't noticed any change in the performance of the bike.

As suggested, I tried to pull the drain hose from the bottom of the tank, to shorten it a little, but I couldn't get my hand in to get a good enough grip.

If you follow the pipe from the bottom of the tank, after about six inches it goes into the back of a T piece. The front of the T piece goes down to the drain on the right of the engine, directly in front of the frame. The tube from the side of the T piece goes to the left hand side of the bike, continues up around the left hand side of the tank, around the front and into a breather/overflow of the black plastic coolant tank by the right hand side of the airbox. Pull this tube from the coolant tank and unthread it all the way back to the T piece.

Just in front of the tank hinge is a small, black cylinder, about two inches long and 3/4 inches in diameter mounted across the frame. It's got two spade connectors on the left hand end, but I don't know what it is. Undo the right hand mounting bolt and the cable tidy should now come free. You should now have enough space to manouver the T piece so that side entry and the long tube to the coolant tank cross the frame in front of the strange electrical cylinder instead of behind it. This effectively shortens the tube from the bottom of the petrol tank and stops it kinking.

Replace the bolt that holds the cable tidy and the odd electrical thing, thread the long hose back round the side and front of the petrol tank and reconnect it to the top of the coolant tank."

Originally posted by Denden@Feb 9 2006, 05:35 AM

Wanna share some info with fello SV riders....

Normal riding, I'll get to first reserve(blinking light) upon reaching about 245km, then full reserve at about 285km. Hitting 320 km on a tank of petrol.

Recently, I decided to do a little experiment on the fuel consumption of the 650. The bike has got a 16 litre tank capacity.

Three days ago, after refueling, I decided to ride the bike very gently.

Changing gear at 3000rpm, opening as little throttle as possible, riding at max 90kmh........

Results, first reserve(blinking light) starts at 305km, full reserve at 350km.

Still riding on the same tank without refueling, more than half the distance was covered with a pillion, now at 364km, no problem hitting 385km before the next refueling.... :cheer:

Amazing how much petrol consumption differs with the riding style.... has anyone tried this?

i dun get u, full reserve at 350 and yet u still can go until 385?

for my 400, i hit reserve at 290 to 300 and 360 to 370 for full tank. this is under my way of riding which change gear at 5 to 6 k rpm n occasionally full thrust in pick up n expressway riding.

Its better to have lived and lost than to never live at all. Live it, the way you want it.

Originally posted by Limsteel@Feb 9 2006, 09:32 AM

Check with Mech:

Mech says:

i experience this on a 400 b4, riding in heavy rain on nshw for long hrs, the water wet the front plug and left the rear cylinder working only, full throttle only can go 80 and engine dies off when left idling.

latter, i check it out with planet, they told me that its the rubber seal for the plugs breaks and theres a drainage hole for the water that trap inside , so its not a main issue.

Its better to have lived and lost than to never live at all. Live it, the way you want it.

Originally posted by KooTeowMan@Feb 9 2006, 12:46 PM

Yes, the water in the fuel tank is a common problem.

Got this extract from SV650.org for a DIY solution

"Yep, it happened to me as well. Thankfully I saw it when I was filling the tank, I haven't noticed any change in the performance of the bike.

As suggested, I tried to pull the drain hose from the bottom of the tank, to shorten it a little, but I couldn't get my hand in to get a good enough grip.

If you follow the pipe from the bottom of the tank, after about six inches it goes into the back of a T piece. The front of the T piece goes down to the drain on the right of the engine, directly in front of the frame. The tube from the side of the T piece goes to the left hand side of the bike, continues up around the left hand side of the tank, around the front and into a breather/overflow of the black plastic coolant tank by the right hand side of the airbox. Pull this tube from the coolant tank and unthread it all the way back to the T piece.

Just in front of the tank hinge is a small, black cylinder, about two inches long and 3/4 inches in diameter mounted across the frame. It's got two spade connectors on the left hand end, but I don't know what it is. Undo the right hand mounting bolt and the cable tidy should now come free. You should now have enough space to manouver the T piece so that side entry and the long tube to the coolant tank cross the frame in front of the strange electrical cylinder instead of behind it. This effectively shortens the tube from the bottom of the petrol tank and stops it kinking.

Replace the bolt that holds the cable tidy and the odd electrical thing, thread the long hose back round the side and front of the petrol tank and reconnect it to the top of the coolant tank."

chim... but the drain hose got no openings for the fuel to flow out right? i remember i top up the fuel and it overflow from the top and soem seep in to the rim of the tank .

SV has a known problem with the front plug failing when it gets blasted by all the water from the front wheel.

I think the contacts should be cleaned regularly. :thumb:

Originally posted by nE0@Feb 9 2006, 07:12 PM

SV has a known problem with the front plug failing when it gets blasted by all the water from the front wheel.

I think the contacts should be cleaned regularly. :thumb:

Yes, but in such cases, the bike will not even idle properly. In fact, with 1 piston, it'll never idle.

Originally posted by weiz85@Feb 9 2006, 02:50 PM

i dun get u, full reserve at 350 and yet u still can go until 385?

Yes, full reserve(reserve light on, not blinking) at 350km, still can tahan till at least 385km then need to refuel.

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-594683847743189197

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/brendanchin/Yee.jpg

Originally posted by Limsteel@Feb 9 2006, 11:05 AM

Come to think of it, before this happened... my bike had a light fall in the carpark few weeks back... (nothing major, front wheel lost traction on mud when I pushing bike) carb affected?

try this:

1. open up your fuel cap

2. take a really small cap of water (maybe the cover of a mineral water bottle)

3. pour into the rim of the fuel tank (careful not to pour into fuel tank :p)

4. put your bike upright

5. see if water comes out from the drain hose (its slightly in front of the rear brake lever, in case you dont know)

Maybe you need to pour a few capfuls of water to see if the water drains out, or collects at the rim of the fuel tank. I realised mine was collecting some time back, went to workshop and used an air compressor to blow the dirt out.

any updates on your problem? Sounds to me like one of your jets in the carb is clogged. Need to take out and clean, but you can try those carb cleaners, think its worth a try.