SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] Which type of petrol do you pump for Phantom?

Sikkandersha

Type of petrol you pump for phantom  

462 members have voted

1. 1. Type of petrol you pump for phantom

• Shell 92
    • Shell 95
    • Shell 98
    • Shell V Power
    • ESSO
    • SPC
    • Gold with Techron 98
    • Silver with Techron 95
    • Dont pump in Singapore at all or sometimes only, prefer to pump in malaysia

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heard from a liitle bird...

all octane no. petrol has the same energy/unit...

high octane number is for controlling the burn rate of the petrol..ie slower burn rate the higher the octane on.

so sporty bike 2 stroke low octane no. for fast burn rate.... hahaha jet plane uses kerosene..

also high compression engines ..compreesion ratio more than 10 uses 95 and above...ie low cpmression engines can use low octane no...

anyone care to comment or correct the above so welcome..

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time:dot:

heard from a liitle bird...

all octane no. petrol has the same energy/unit...

high octane number is for controlling the burn rate of the petrol..ie slower burn rate the higher the octane on.

so sporty bike 2 stroke low octane no. for fast burn rate.... hahaha jet plane uses kerosene..

also high compression engines ..compreesion ratio more than 10 uses 95 and above...ie low cpmression engines can use low octane no...

anyone care to comment or correct the above so welcome..

wah talking about compression ratio.... what is the compression ratio for phantom?

There is no secret recipe..... To...... Inner Peace.......

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2008-06/39664259.jpg

change over to spc92 from 95....

wah now engine so fierce...loud man..good or bad??

but acceleration seems to be better..is this my imagination????

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time:dot:

wah talking about compression ratio.... what is the compression ratio for phantom?

from wikipedia..the compression ratio for phantom is 9:1.

so thumb of rule can use spc 92..,if ratio is above 10:1 use octane no. 95 or higher..

more infor from wikipedia on the subject..

Due to pinging (detonation), the CR in a gasoline/petrol powered engine will usually not be much higher than 10:1, although some production automotive engines built for high-performance from 1955-1972 had compression ratios as high as 12.5:1, which could run safely on the high-octane leaded gasoline then available. A technique used by Audi to prevent the onset of knock is the high "swirl" engine that forces the intake charge to adopt a very fast circular rotation in the cylinder during compression that provides quicker and more complete combustion. Recently, with the addition of variable valve timing and knock sensors to delay ignition timing, one worldwide manufacturer is building 10.8 CR gasoline engines that use 87 MON (octane rating) fuel.

Motocycle racing engines can use compression ratios as high as 14:1, and it is not uncommon to find motorcycles with compression ratios above 12.0:1 designed for 86 or 87 octane fuel.

In engines running exclusively on LPG or CNG, the CR may be higher, due to the higher octane rating of these fuels.

Racing engines burning methanol and ethanol often exceed a CR of 15:1.

In engines with a 'ping' or 'knock' sensor and an electronic control unit, the CR can be as high as 13:1 (2005 BMW K1200S)

In a turbocharged or supercharged gasoline engine, the CR is customarily built at 9:1 or lower.

In an auto-ignition diesel engine, the CR will customarily exceed 14:1. Ratios over 22:1 are common

In 1981, Jaguar released a cylinder head that allowed up to 14:1 compression; but settled for 12.5:1 in production cars. The cylinder head design was known as the "may fireball" head.

• 2 weeks later...

92 burns more rite?.. so not much big difference from 95 or 98. so in other words, meaning to say that it's the same them..

5 Oct 2005 - Jun 2007(SP) FS6059X

18 Jun 2007 - 26 Nov 2007 -> CBR400, L model problematic FJ532*S

26 Nov 2007 - 12 Nov 2011 -> TA200, FV2X2G

12 Nov 2011 - 12 Nov 2012 -> SYM GTS200, FZ99*0D

29 Nov 2012 - 13 July 2015 -> KIA Rio HB 1.4M, SFY*

13 Jul 2015 - 28 Apr 2018 -> Kia Cerato V2 SKT*

28 Apr 2018 till current -> Hyundai Elentra S_trim SLZ*

actually all petrol has same energy per unit ie 89 to super premium...

the only diff is the amount of anti detonation additives...the more they put it the higher the octane no....this is to prevent detonation (un wanted/un controlled burning of fuel...before the spark plug ignites)...so if the lowest octane no. can run without this pinging sound (detonation)..you save $$$$$.

as some one put it this is the greatest misconception in automotives..ie high octane no.= more energy ..runs faster longer.....

yup...used 95 initially, but after pop-pop sound at exhaust, changed to 92 after advice from one bro in here & due to higher petrol price...now no more pop-pop sound and more petrol in tank .....

sure bo?.....

hmmm,,advisable to try can i say?

for myself, i would make a point to go in Jb once a week at late night.

if in sg, would be shell 95... but i had never pump full tank in sg before on ta200... could imagine that it easily shot up to close $20?

92....... a bit scary lei... i used on my ex sp before... like kns... no power , on the other hand finish up faster

5 Oct 2005 - Jun 2007(SP) FS6059X

18 Jun 2007 - 26 Nov 2007 -> CBR400, L model problematic FJ532*S

26 Nov 2007 - 12 Nov 2011 -> TA200, FV2X2G

12 Nov 2011 - 12 Nov 2012 -> SYM GTS200, FZ99*0D

29 Nov 2012 - 13 July 2015 -> KIA Rio HB 1.4M, SFY*

13 Jul 2015 - 28 Apr 2018 -> Kia Cerato V2 SKT*

28 Apr 2018 till current -> Hyundai Elentra S_trim SLZ*

In Singapore, SPC is the best la... Support Singapore's company, and the petrol is actually the cleanest, based on the origin of the crude they use. (Am working with an oil trader who shared this with me)

However, haha.. both the trader and myself use Shell.. (Said to be the dirtiest based on the origin also). Sadly, cause Shell has the best location for us, and I always just use the Shell's card to pay at the pump. Cannot be bothered to go in and queue up to pay for a little bit of petrol.

Though for my car, i take care of it more, and pump at SPC.

When in malaysia, i would prefer to pump petronas. The quality of malaysia's crude oil's one of the best around!

Regarding pumping 92/95/98/vPower, I would say that apart from pumping one that fulfills your engine's requirements, and your engine's conditions, the rest is mainly mental effect.. Have been driving and riding for a good number of years and keeping a record of every petrol top-up. Have never been able to see any noticable change in FC.. Cause you'll never be able to drive/ride exactly the way everyday, even if you drive on the same route everday... Sometimes the traffic might be heavier, sometimes you rev abit more, sometimes your tyre pressure is different (based on weather), sometimes because you think this petrol is better, and a million other factors..

From Honda's manual:

The motorcycle presents you a challenge to master the machine, a challenge to adventure. You ride through the wind, linked to the road by a vehicle that responds to your commands as no other does...

all different company all use different methods and machine for refinery for ur info:cheeky:

yes sir...i used to manage an oil refinery...hahah

an edible oil refinery......all crude looks terrible..as described dirty..low quality is the correct description..

the lower the quality the higher the refining cost...just that..:cheeky:

• 1 month later...

i didnt know spc have the cleanest petrol.. the impression of spc is among pple i know is quite lousy.. thanks for sharing.. probably try to pump spc the next few days..

Rat bike - A motorcycle not necessarily kept in pristine condition, often painted matt black. Minimal maintenance and mismatched parts often used.

M'sia v-power gives me around 35km/L.. will be using cheaper petrol from now on as I think its all about the same :p unless I feel like it

• 4 weeks later...
if in sg, would be shell 95... but i had never pump full tank in sg before on ta200... could imagine that it easily shot up to close $20?

it's ard $23 up for full tank phantom.

btw, V-power doesn't seem to give me more power. It feels choky. i pump platinum techron and it's fine... looks like my carb tuning is abit haywire.