SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Martial Arts

oogah

Martial Arts...Which do you prefer?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Martial Arts...Which do you prefer?

• TKD
    • KARATE
    • JUDO
    • Aikido
    • Ju Jitsu
    • Silat (Gayung /Minangkabau/etc)
    • Thai Boxing
    • Tai Chi
    • Kung Fu
    • Sprinting (faster better - get away from trouble :-) )
    • Why Take up Martial Arts - Waste time!

i heard of krav maga before and i'm actually kinda interested in that... because it's defensive so i dim it as more useful. there's actually a place that's teaching KM. KM is said to have originated from Israel and is an elite martial art for their special forces. however, the fees are not cheap and so i haven't got the chance to start and commit into it.

at the same time i'm also quite interested in ju jitsu but never get the chance to find a good place to start. this thread is great as now i have so many choices to choose from!

What doesn't kills me can only makes me stronger.

5th October 2007 - 29th September 2008 Honda Phantom TA200

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For self-defence, I prefer a mix:

1. MuayThai for its superior striking combos

2. MMA for takedowns and submission skill

3. Krav Maga to put all together cos it emphasizes on application.

My personal take on:

1. TKD - takes too long to learn and too much focus as a sport. U sure can do a 360 jumping back hook in jeans? Hands are basically useless.

2. Jujitsu - no proper training syllabus and mostly needs uniform to grab and throw.

3. Silat - Only the National Team is good. sorry guys.

4. BJJ - sometimes focus too much on ground fighting. 1 on 1 is very good but against 2 or 3... where got time to go to the ground and lock?

5. Aikido - deadly skills that takesyears to master. And also... enemy don't move I can't do anything, right?

6. San Ta - kaoz, very effective fighting skills but super high training injury rate cos of too realistic sparring training.

7. Karate - standard drop so much such that karatekas are going extinct. But nevertheless, still a good fighting skill if you learn from the correct ppl.

Don't flame me... just my opinion nia and some may disagree.

11 - 25 Nov - 15D, Taiwan - Fly and Scoot

7 - 15 Apr - 9D, Phuket and Hatyai Songkran

17 Nov to 2 Dec - 16D, North East Thailand (Issan)

30 Mar to 7 Apr - 9D Korea/Jeju Fly and Ride

8 - 24 Nov - 16D, Mae Hong Son

http://thehouseofdaviz.blogspot.sg/

• 4 weeks later...

I KNOW KUNGFU!

i learn art of karma sutra...@@

2007-=Honda NSR 150sp=-FR

2008-=Honda CBR 400=-FP

2008-=Suzuki GSXR 400=-FK

2009-=Yzf-R1 2004=-FX

2010-=Yzf-R1 2010=-FBE

2011-=Suzuki Gsxr 600 K7=- FBB

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z110/ahcongie/merge2.jpghttp://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z110/ahcongie/merge3.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

I'm a local Indie Film-maker currently in the making of a 2 min Trailer Teaser Pitch, hopefully to be an upcoming Super Hero Feature Film here in Singapore. I'm looking for those who would like to volunteer themselves for the shoot. Shooting will probably be in the month of July 2008. Those with an ALL BLACK Sports bike are welcome. Below is a sample of what we are going to shoot.

-

-

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDtLoYgttlw

For those interested, please email me a picture with you and your bike. Other optional requirements: Able to have an all black suit attire, Tall, slim, fit, medium built aged 20s - 30s and knowledge in MARTIAL ARTS is an advantage - Street fights, Silat, Taekwondo, etc..

I'm also looking for potential investors for this Feature Film. Do let me know if you know any? Hope to be a hit in Singapore...

Thank you,

Isnor Dzulkarnain Jaafar

[email protected]

hi

just a suggestion to you.. you might want to find machine and person seperately.. that might be easier..

my 2 cents worth.

Rat bike - A motorcycle not necessarily kept in pristine condition, often painted matt black. Minimal maintenance and mismatched parts often used.

My personal take on:

2. Jujitsu - no proper training syllabus and mostly needs uniform to grab and throw.

5. Aikido - deadly skills that takesyears to master. And also... enemy don't move I can't do anything, right?

Don't flame me... just my opinion nia and some may disagree.

Even in the modern era, jujitsu is been taught by the the grabbing/pulling/pushing of the judo/jujitsu gi (uniform), BUT, It is also taught on how to counter attacks without the uniform itself, which is applicable to self defence in street fights. The opponent's head, hands or legs are more then sufficient to be precise.

For aikido, that is the entire idea, self defence, if the aggressor choose not to attack, neither will the victim. In this case, it is considered as a "win, win situation"

http://www.suzuki-hayabusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/2010-suzuki-hayabusa-black1.jpg

2010 GSX1340R - HAYABUSA

• 6 months later...

I seriously feel that sylabus are important. Some of the modern or the "newer" ones to our shores like MMA and BJJ is interesting and can be effective. However, I feel that the learning curve for newbies is too great. The basics and fundementals in punching, kicking, etc not really emphasised but good thing is you're thrown into the situation and you pick up the skills on the spot. Unlike traditional martial arts where you've got to wait for green belt or equivalent before sparring and competing. Got plus and minus points.

In my honest opinion, best way to start on martial arts is to do those linear arts like tkd and karate to get your foundation. Once you've got the hang of kicking, punching, switching stances and understanding distances, you can move on to circular and more technical arts like judo, bjj, aikido, etc.

Every art has their strength and limitation. I myself started with tkd, competed and moved on from one art to another. Right now, I'm into an art I told myself that I'd never join because of the many "unnecessary" movements you got to do while sparring. Funny, but I've added new skills into my repertoire and added new insight to the esoteric side of a martial artist's journey.

We all can argue that this martial art is good, while other suck. The arguments and politics, haha, make you think it's almost like religion in real life. To me, there's no such thing as a superior martial art, only a superior martial artist. ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
i heard of krav maga before and i'm actually kinda interested in that... because it's defensive so i dim it as more useful. there's actually a place that's teaching KM. KM is said to have originated from Israel and is an elite martial art for their special forces. however, the fees are not cheap and so i haven't got the chance to start and commit into it.

krav maga is not martial art. it is a fighting technique

boring rider. with a boring bike.

too old to want to appear interesting anymore.

• 2 months later...
For self-defence, I prefer a mix:

1. MuayThai for its superior striking combos

2. MMA for takedowns and submission skill

3. Krav Maga to put all together cos it emphasizes on application.

My personal take on:

5. Aikido - deadly skills that takes years to master. And also... enemy don't move I can't do anything, right?

Aikido doesn't take years to master depending upon the student. And it's not true that you can't do anything if the enemy doesn't move. It's just that they don't teach that to juniors. Aikidokas can initiate an attack and still perform their techniques. At the same time, there are some schools out there who teach Aikido that is closer to Aikijutsu.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici - By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.. - Faust

Beneath this mask, there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask, there is an idea, and ideas, are bulletproof - V

Safe? Definately. Not necessarily slow, but safe.. - Seraph Tan

• 12 years later...
  • Administrators

If you choose to pursue mixed martial arts, then you will need to pick up shin guards, MMA shorts, and other accessories for yourself and get ready.