SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

I hate U-TURNS

amberlight

Ok doing a U-turn on a CB125 was kind of easy with its big wide handle bars and upright riding position.

Now I have a CBR 150, with tiny bars, crouched over riding position and hardly any steering lock. Coupled with a longer first gear I'm finding it really difficult. :faint: I feel that with the small bars I don't have the same leverage to be able to balance the bike at low speed when doing a U-Turn. I always start right at the edge of the road and pretty much have a turning radius which sees me complete the U-turn right on the edge of the other side of the road, sometimes I go onto the gravel shoulder. :angry:

I try shifting my weight to the outside and it helps. What about using the rear brake? Its positioned in a difficult position on the right side when you are turning sharply right. :sweat:

How do people find doing U-turns on sports bikes like R1's or ZX-10s/ZX-6's with longer first gears? Do experienced riders on sports bikes find it really easy to do U-turns? :confused:

Life is short, live nacked!

:cheers:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fellow CBR150 rider here.

unless you have come to a complete stop at the u-turn kerb, i suggest that u do the U-turn using gear 2 instead of gear 1.

another point will be for u not to position yr bike too near the pointed end of the kerb on yr right hand side. for the reason that the nearer u go to the kerb, the more u need to turn yr handlebar to perform the u-turn, and the more u will end up doing a wide turn.

to sum it up, the most ideal situation will be for u to position yr bike in the middle of the u-turn lane, then pick up enough speed and do yr u-turn in gear 2.

=[ Honda CBR150R ]=

....=[ R E P S O L ]=....

when doing u turns on my sp. i try to stay away frm the kerb first. i find it uncomfortable to turn my handle bar all the way so its usually half turned or lesser. and lean a bit. i usually end up on the 2nd lane after u turning.

http://pics.livejournal.com/itsnotmytime/pic/0000d38qhttp://pics.livejournal.com/itsnotmytime/pic/00009csy/s320x240

honda nsr150sp - FS1*1*G

yamaha 125z - FY5*7*E

fellow CBR150 rider here.

unless you have come to a complete stop at the u-turn kerb, i suggest that u do the U-turn using gear 2 instead of gear 1.

no, no...1 gear

another point will be for u not to position yr bike too near the pointed end of the kerb on yr right hand side. for the reason that the nearer u go to the kerb, the more u need to turn yr handlebar to perform the u-turn, and the more u will end up doing a wide turn.

yeah...it's my mistake

to sum it up, the most ideal situation will be for u to position yr bike in the middle of the u-turn lane, then pick up enough speed and do yr u-turn in gear 2. :cheers:

thanks...but i'm not sure if it's enough time to shift gear doing u-turn...i quess i'll practice more today when the rain is over

Drop your right leg down to paddle while you turn at real slow speed. Safe and easy =]

i agree too. no point feeling ashamed. it is your bike after all.

Always ride safely and defensively.

Repair bike cheap and fast,

Repair body expensive and slow.

There is only one best mechanic for your bike...YOU

for me la,no matter what condition be it in the carpark or normal rd,be sure to check for other vehicles behind u and infront of u...then must estimate how far you need to the left in order to make the turn....

lets say in the carpark is too narrow...so you got no choice to turn and reverse and turn again....but becareful!!! most indoor carpark have slippery floorings...so try to keep your bike upright when makin the turn...

2005-2006 - NSR150SP

2006-2010 - CB400 Ver. S

2010-Current - Suzuki GSR600

what would my instructor said if he would see that... :clap:

BBDC drop bike, is ok, not your bike.

outside drop bike, you pay for your bike.

no need to feel ashamed. :p

Always ride safely and defensively.

Repair bike cheap and fast,

Repair body expensive and slow.

There is only one best mechanic for your bike...YOU

when doing u turns on my sp. i try to stay away frm the kerb first. i find it uncomfortable to turn my handle bar all the way so its usually half turned or lesser. and lean a bit. i usually end up on the 2nd lane after u turning.

practise practise and practise.. makes perfect...

best place to practise your U-turn skills are those multi storey carpark with a up and down ramp side by side.

While going upslope, practise making the U-turn from one ramp to the other.

i agree too. no point feeling ashamed. it is your bike after all.

Ok then.

So u think it's a problem not with a bike but luck of experience and balance, right?

Thanks for advises, i'll try my best! :thumb:

sumtimes..wad u learnt at sch,doesnt always the proper thing for you as an individual...so just do as u think best...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/nebulaz/KTM-Pink-1.jpg

HUA Hua hua....WADEVER..AR you STOOPID OR WAD? HUA hua hua version 2.....

take your time lah. last time i also first few u turns end up wide turns. now even with pillion u turn also no problem :)

http://pics.livejournal.com/itsnotmytime/pic/0000d38qhttp://pics.livejournal.com/itsnotmytime/pic/00009csy/s320x240

honda nsr150sp - FS1*1*G

yamaha 125z - FY5*7*E

We go where we see.

So see where you want to go, see the U-turn path you want to turn, look further ahead a little than you are used to, and naturally, you find yourself being able to make tighter U-turns :)

29 Mar:

2009 Yamaha FZ1 Fazer Owner's Review

loudexhaust.blogspot.com

www.RiderAsia.com Safety site for motorcycle riders

looks like u need abit of practise with your clutch/rear brake/throttle control..

find an open area and practise doing figure 8's.. beginning maybe need wider turns.. and do it slow.. but once u can u-turn within 2 lane width.. U turns no prob.. :).. i find it easier if use rear brake to control in slow speed..

***Ride Safe***

i have no problems with U-turns. personally, i feel that eyepoint plays a huge factor. look close and you will turn wide. look far and you can pull it off pretty nicely.

Eyepoint...yeah, used to be a pillion and look at other bikers :smile:

Head up, look where you want to be at the end of the turn... seems easy

I think I'm not looking to where I want to be. Looking where I want to go and training my eyes is my biggest downfall.

sumtimes..wad u learnt at sch,doesnt always the proper thing for you as an individual...so just do as u think best...

okok...thanks

take your time lah. last time i also first few u turns end up wide turns. now even with pillion u turn also no problem :)

I will have to work on it! Thanks for your help everyone! I was hoping it's a problem with bike, not me :smile:

looks like u need abit of practise with your clutch/rear brake/throttle control..

find an open area and practise doing figure 8's.. beginning maybe need wider turns.. and do it slow.. but once u can u-turn within 2 lane width.. U turns no prob.. :).. i find it easier if use rear brake to control in slow speed..

heh... why they wouldnt make wider every single road... sigh...

We go where we see.

So see where you want to go, see the U-turn path you want to turn, look further ahead a little than you are used to, and naturally, you find yourself being able to make tighter U-turns :)

thanks, i'll try to...when weather will be better...

otherwise must ride only on the roads with wide 2nd line :cry: