SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

SBF Classic Vespa's Cafe 2009 / 2010

Vesphan

• Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wildswans

• -ResiDue-

• Sharpey

• machine k

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

betul betul....

How about in 2 weeks time on a Friday evening? Somewhere convenient for the scootless... like say.... hmmmm

Suggestions?

Vespa PX200Disc ------The Pinaccle of Classic Scootering------

www vesporeanfaq:) wikispaces:) com

hey guys, i just changed my piston and rebore the block ard 3 weeks ago as my piston was ceasing. before that, whenever i hit the speed of 90 plus, it gives this crackling noise. soon, reaching speed of 90kmph is a problem for me, engine sound so stressed. soon, travelling at 70kmph will give that crackling sound already.

mechanic told me that piston is ceasing, so i got it changed and block rebore. he also adviced me to use 4T instead of 2T as lubricant. which i did.

all was well during running in period. i don't travel too fast (60-70kmph) 3 weeks into running in already, i tried to travel at 80kmph. And there is the crackling sound again. does anybody know what's wrong? should i give it more time to run in. my milage meter is spoilt so i dunno how far i've travelled. i travel on my scooter almost every day, and sometimes go rounding etc.

other than the piston, could there be any other problem? thanks..

307293_10150857547520648_672525279_n.jpg

Katie... I am flying with you...

The crackling is pinging... predeotonation... caused by a variety of things... either poorly setup carb... exhaust leak... poor timing... to high compression...

I suggest you get a new mechanic.... FAST.

Anyone who suggests putting 4T in a scoot in place of 2T has no place touching your scooter...

Your piston WAS seizing before.... but due to the SAME reason... changing the piston and doing the rebore WILL NOT magically solve the problem... only make money fly from your pocket... :(

I would check that your carb is set properly and that there are no leaks... peeps on here will know what the stock settings for a 150 are...

Get some decent quality 2T (semi synth given you're running in) and don't stress the engine... run-in on an iron cylinder should be about 800km give or take...

hey guys, i just changed my piston and rebore the block ard 3 weeks ago as my piston was ceasing. before that, whenever i hit the speed of 90 plus, it gives this crackling noise. soon, reaching speed of 90kmph is a problem for me, engine sound so stressed. soon, travelling at 70kmph will give that crackling sound already.

mechanic told me that piston is ceasing, so i got it changed and block rebore. he also adviced me to use 4T instead of 2T as lubricant. which i did.

all was well during running in period. i don't travel too fast (60-70kmph) 3 weeks into running in already, i tried to travel at 80kmph. And there is the crackling sound again. does anybody know what's wrong? should i give it more time to run in. my milage meter is spoilt so i dunno how far i've travelled. i travel on my scooter almost every day, and sometimes go rounding etc.

other than the piston, could there be any other problem? thanks..

U got PM :D

:gun: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ :bouncefire:

Anyone who suggests putting 4T in a scoot in place of 2T has no place touching your scooter...

Yes. To all those who think 4T is suitable lubricant for a 2stroke engine... Please... there's a good reason why it's a 2T(2stroke) oil.

It's not electronics term where MORE = Good. Think we mentioned in the forum before, just need to read to know why 2T is the oil to run with 2strokers...

threres a good reason but 4t is much better than 2t. you will say its crap but you try it ur self than you'll noe. 4t will never give you piston jam. i can bet you on that!

to juvena i tink u jus change ur block la i really pity you every time come abang jas shop and yet the same thing still occurs. my advise is to stick to abang and dont hope mechanic. he's really good. but its up to you than.

Guys... do your research please... 4T = 4 stroke oil... for use in 4 stroke engines (and our gearboxes)... 2T=2stroke oil... designed to be mixed with petrol in 2 stroke bikes... They are not interchangeable... They sell 2T for a reason yeah...

Your bike is not pinging because you are using the wrong oil (this is a side issue)... you bike is pinging (predetonating... or crackling sound like you described) because you have another problem that clearly hasn't been addressed... Suggest you get a second opinion....

If I were you I would have your carb inspected for proper jetting, and your timing looked at...

You could also have a leak somewhere that is allowing air into the cylinder and causing overheating...

Changing a cylinder and piston is NOT the way to solve predetonation....

threres a good reason but 4t is much better than 2t. you will say its crap but you try it ur self than you'll noe. 4t will never give you piston jam. i can bet you on that!

to juvena i tink u jus change ur block la i really pity you every time come abang jas shop and yet the same thing still occurs. my advise is to stick to abang and dont hope mechanic. he's really good. but its up to you than.

punkie seh nama..

anw its up to individual to which shop they shld choose. for me, side effects of using 4t is the building up of carbon. then u haf to de-carb ur block and pipe. so be like me. use 2t. and ride slow. straight road 50km/h. corner 120km/h. tt way u wont get seizure. wahahahaha JOKEE!!!

-=fire gives life but to also take them away=-

:: for my case, i've been using 4T since day one, no problems ever encountered, and yes, no piston seizure even when i'm over 100kmph, all based on the accurate volume being added, not too much, not too little... yuh as mentioned by itsonfire, only side effects would be the building up of carbon (especially to the tip of the spark plug), other than that, all's well and my engine's running good. it's up to individuals lah on how the engine's being built and adviced by the individual mechanics etc etc, but definitely for best performance, use synthetic 2T (which is of course, a lil pricy). i use 4T for everyday use, but switch to synthetic 2T for long roadtrips to malaysia. well, vespa mechanics know better. just my two-cents. ::

In my experience mechanics tend not to know better... but hey, that's just me...

Do your own research into this and make your own mind up...

2t never gave me piston jam either. But my case is really about using the right lubricant for your 2-stroker. What the 2-stroke engine really need is fuel (aka gas) and a lubricant (aka oil) to run in the cylinder, and the lubricant can really be in any form.

I've heard stories in other countries where they ran out of 2t oil and had to resort to cooking oil as a substitute. No doubt it runs and gets you to places, but is that the right lubricant? What are the possible damages?

Why shun 2T that are designed for use in 2-strokes? They are made for the purpose of lubricating, cooling, mix well in petrol, given the right addictives, reduce harmful emissions, etc. That's what i know of 2T oil.

Maybe someone can clarify why a 4T will perform better when it was never the intention for 4T to be mixed or combusted with petrol, let alone the properties i mentioned above.

I'm posting for the sake of letting everyone know more about the use of oil in 2-stroke engines. I don't wish this discussion to lead to a war of words =) lets contribute ideas positively for everyone :cheer:

2t never gave me piston jam either. But my case is really about using the right lubricant for your 2-stroker. What the 2-stroke engine really need is fuel (aka gas) and a lubricant (aka oil) to run in the cylinder, and the lubricant can really be in any form.

I've heard stories in other countries where they ran out of 2t oil and had to resort to cooking oil as a substitute. No doubt it runs and gets you to places, but is that the right lubricant? What are the possible damages?

Why shun 2T that are designed for use in 2-strokes? They are made for the purpose of lubricating, cooling, mix well in petrol, given the right addictives, reduce harmful emissions, etc. That's what i know of 2T oil.

Maybe someone can clarify why a 4T will perform better when it was never the intention for 4T to be mixed or combusted with petrol, let alone the properties i mentioned above.

I'm posting for the sake of letting everyone know more about the use of oil in 2-stroke engines. I don't wish this discussion to lead to a war of words =) lets contribute ideas positively for everyone :cheer:

:: can't deny it... well said, bro~ :bouncefire: ::

ok guys, i can't wait to start my first posting here after reading page 13

out of 234 pages. well, that's becos i've juz got my first AZ sprint

yesterday. :cheer:

you know what? i've been out of the motor scene not juz for years, but

decade. i survive from the motor revolution time during the late 80's. haha

do i sound old. o_O indeed, i'm an old man. an old man looking for a

moment of my youth. hahaha :cheeky: well, in case you missed my post n

are interested to find out the motor revolution during the 80's, you may

check this out... http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97806

yesterday was my first ride after decade of hanging my helmet away.

riding from LTA to tampines seems so far n so hot to me.

ok, now comes back to my questions.

1. how much would it costs for a mth of season ticket for bike in HDB opened carpark?

2. look, i'm an old man, so safety is first priority to me n i know signalling

my intention is very important. my bike comes with signal lights but the

problem is, it doesn't work. explaination from the previous owner was, the

bike dont need a batt to start, therefore he didnt bother to replace a dead

batt. that's goes without a horn too. ok, if i replace a new batt, how long it

would takes to die again if i dont ride everyday?

3. i read about the CDi, does changing to a CDi enable the signal lights to work?

4. i dont ride everyday, maybe once a week or twice a month. even if i do,

it would not be far. may i know what should i take note if i want my bike to

start everytime i kick him? see? i'm an old man lah, the last thing i want is

to kick myself if she juz never start for me. kekeke

5. what is the different between a sprint n super? i mean in performance,

spec n value term.

last but not least, i thanks all in advance for any advice before i missed your

reply n am certainly glad to meet a bunch of young guys for the next meet

up if any if you dont mind an old man. wahaha...:D

will be back! :cheers:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k130/yeobt/Picnikcollage-1.jpg

Hey... do check out the wiki... its in my sig...

Otherwise.. in a nutshell... Sprint is better...

Or PX... performance wise lagi better...

:)

ok... i've got my problem fixed. opened up my carb, there is this chamber that was shakey, the screw is loose because the thread is gone. got it fixed, clear the filter the jet thing.

went for a test run on ECP. going at 70, 80, 90, 95..... yay! no rattling sound. pick up is also much faster now, so i can overtake vehicles with more ease. however, on my way back, travelling at 90kmph for quite some time, my engine suddenly stall. the sound of the engine sounded very muffled. switch on my hazard light and moved on to the road shoulder. while it was still moving, i shift my gear a bit and engine starts again (i think i just did a push start?). it was moving again with no problem. i really don't know what went on.

today, i start my scooter again, initially, the engine sounded weird, very muffled again. there was lots of smoke when i rev and then the engine sounded ok again. (i added quite a lot of lubricant, because still running in.) riding it was no issues.

could it be due to me using too much 4T, resulting in carbon built up somewhere? was the smoke due to that?

307293_10150857547520648_672525279_n.jpg

Katie... I am flying with you...

yeobt>>

cover your bike in the carpark can save you on parking =) heh forgot the price for open carpark season parking, think $15?

Your signal lights might have blown too, if your current isn't kept in check/regulated with battery. Might. But a quick change of battery might do just do the job, though a running engine should be enough to keep your lights lit even if your battery is empty. Need to check your fuse/rectifier if all is working well.

CDI-wise. Your's is a AZ vespa, which brings to mind that it might (or should) be a registered PX, but LTA decided to screw us all by naming A-plates PX-es as SPRI in logcard. i might be wrong if the previous owner did a plate switch. Either way, what i want to say is, if it's a PX-series, it should come with CDI already... unless prev owner decided to go back in time n convert to contact pt (i've seen examples of that).

CDI is more reliable in delivering current to your scoot, and it's 12v.

2-strokes engine are quite able being left alone without starting for long periods of time, mainly because of the mechanics of it. kick once a fortnight is more than enough, and while you are at it. Take the bike for a short easy ride so that the gear oil can work it stuff and lubricate the gears/clutch/etc.

And finally... Welcome back Motorsiao.. haha read the thread you posted, have to say it's interesting, the 80's motor scene =D

juvena>>

use 2t.

I will take the chance to briefly mention what are the properties of a 4T oil, since the topic was left hanging since i last posted about it a day ago. Most of the 4T that are available to motorists have these general properties.

- Lubricate & protect engine at high rpm and temperature

- Protect/lubricate wet clutch system/transmission

- Cleaning agents and addictives are added to clean the engine/moving parts

- Right/good sheer viscosity to prevent oil breakdown

If you know the workings of the 4-stroke engine, you will realise that Oil runs separate from the combustion chamber. So 4T shouldn't be combusted, if they do, i believe they burn with blackish smoke.

and finally, you mentioned that you put 'quite a lot of lubricant'. We should try to achieve the right ratio of lubricant (2t) to fuel. It should stand at 2%. in other words, 20ml for every ltr of petrol. Not much of a worry if you run on autolube. If you do premix, try to get it right.

slightly more than 2%, like 2.5%, good for kiasu singaporeans and longer/fast journeys where the temperature/pressure/piston movement are much greater, it will require slightly more lubrication.

>3%, generally it's not good. A higher amount of 2T to Fuel ratio will mean that less fuel is actually fed into the engine. In other words, for the same air/fuel setting for your carb, the ratio of air to fuel is greater, hence the mixture is more lean. Which equates to hotter engine, which equates to possibility of seizing.

well said KK..

juvena,

u add how much of it to ur tank? i think wht ur experiencing is the built up of carbon. making u haf tt muffled sound. noeing the roda 2 peeps, backfiring is a common thing for them since they all use 4t. and btw didnt u say u were still running in? 95km/h? u want ur bike to sieze issit? hahahaha

-=fire gives life but to also take them away=-