SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] Technical - Coolant & Radiators

eddie23

Coolant Comparisan  

353 members have voted

1. 1. Coolant Comparisan

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All, I'm riding Spec II the mileage is 145k km and counting.This is my everyday ride about 180km and I just maintain 160kmh along the NS PLUS hiway.My problem is when i stop at the traffic lite, my temp lite will ON ( i'm not sure wether the fan is ON or Not).I turn off the engine for about 10 secs.Then I ON the engine, the fan is ON and after couple of secs the temp lite turned OFF.I brought to shop and did the flushing, no leaking detected.Then I replace the sensor at the radiator also. Riding back the same thing happen again.Then I check the spare tank, I would say it's empty. What would be the cause?Oh ..all the hose never been replaced.

I've been thinking several causes:

1- waterpump : maybe need to replace since the presssure is not that strong.The last time it was replace with ori parts was when it clocked 60k km.

2- thermostat : maybe the valve not fully open

3- invisible leaking on the aluminium fin area

Need opnion here..by the way I'm from Seremban and its hard to get the parts (waterpump etc ) here.Thanks all

Edited by piratejawa

Hello All, I'm riding Spec II the mileage is 145k km and counting.This is my everyday ride about 180km and I just maintain 160kmh along the NS PLUS hiway.My problem is when i stop at the traffic lite, my temp lite will ON ( i'm not sure wether the fan is ON or Not).I turn off the engine for about 10 secs.Then I ON the engine, the fan is ON and after couple of secs the temp lite turned OFF.I brought to shop and did the flushing, no leaking detected.Then I replace the sensor at the radiator also. Riding back the same thing happen again.Then I check the spare tank, I would say it's empty. What would be the cause?Oh ..all the hose never been replaced.

I've been thinking several causes:

1- waterpump : maybe need to replace since the presssure is not that strong.The last time it was replace with ori parts was when it clocked 60k km.

2- thermostat : maybe the valve not fully open

3- invisible leaking on the aluminium fin area

Need opnion here..by the way I'm from Seremban and its hard to get the parts (waterpump etc ) here.Thanks all

park the bike and rev your engine at around 4-5k rpm to let it heat up and let your pump run. See if there is any drip from your pump. Previously my pump was leaking and the mechanic did this to check mine.

2012 - 2015: Honda CB400 Spec3

park the bike and rev your engine at around 4-5k rpm to let it heat up and let your pump run. See if there is any drip from your pump. Previously my pump was leaking and the mechanic did this to check mine.

Thanks bro for your reply.I just did that this afternoon.But i can't see any drip coming out from the water pump area..so sad..

Is there any other way?advises?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks bro Ariesclaire...

I took off the thermostat n waiting for the new parts from spore.the thing now is I notice that when I maintain at 160km/h through the hiway and when reach the exit, then traffic will be a bit slow, the temp light is ON and I've checked on that moment, the fan IS NOT working until several seconds the fan is ON.

What would be the problem eh?thermostat?waterpump?

Thanks bro Ariesclaire...

I took off the thermostat n waiting for the new parts from spore.the thing now is I notice that when I maintain at 160km/h through the hiway and when reach the exit, then traffic will be a bit slow, the temp light is ON and I've checked on that moment, the fan IS NOT working until several seconds the fan is ON.

What would be the problem eh?thermostat?waterpump?

Maybe your fan itself is the main problem

HyperDash with my ReVo CLAIRE

• 3 weeks later...
Just changed 7 stock hoses, thermostat, pump, 4 metal connecting pipes, flushed radiator and topup with engine ice.

but mech said they ran out of stock for one long rubber hose.. is it really necessary to change that as i need to do the whole works again to take aapart bike, flush radiator and stuff.

reason for such a painful and major replacement was because i did a flush one month ago and the coolant inside turned brown within a month. the old thermostat and pump was so rusted mech had problem taking it apart to show me..

Hi bro, can i check how much you spent total to change all the stuff? and at where?

Hello, anyone installed thermometer to observe their temp? I've installed and my temp is always at the high side 99-105degree. Riding Revo issit normal??

Very normal. Fan will only kick in around that High temp

JOSHUA

class2B -26/2/09

class 2A -27/7/10

class 3 - 6/1/11

class 2 - 30/8/12

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/jtzx/Image0020_JROT42b4_edited.gif?t=1246004022

Maybe your fan itself is the main problem

My Fan? I tested it.and It works normal. Or is it anything that I can check with the fan?

Updates on this:

I have change my thermostat, the fan switch, the waterpump but still the problem occur. This time even when I'm riding the temp lite will ON (previously it's ON when idle). My friend advise me to do top overhaul. maybe the head is problematic alreay. By my argument is the EO is still black - no brownish color detected as if it were mixed with the water. so why must I check the head.

So need your opinion here friends.

My Fan? I tested it.and It works normal. Or is it anything that I can check with the fan?

Updates on this:

I have change my thermostat, the fan switch, the waterpump but still the problem occur. This time even when I'm riding the temp lite will ON (previously it's ON when idle). My friend advise me to do top overhaul. maybe the head is problematic alreay. By my argument is the EO is still black - no brownish color detected as if it were mixed with the water. so why must I check the head.

So need your opinion here friends.

Is your meter set an original?

Stupid Hurts!.:giddy:Speed doesn't kill, mistakes does :faint:

BEER!...it's cheaper than fuel now! DRINK!..DON'T RIDE!

Yes bro Ah Pek.Original set.

What about the radiator itself?..has it ever been replaced before or still original from time you own the bike..has it any sign of rusting before you service it?

What about the radiator itself?..has it ever been replaced before or still original from time you own the bike..has it any sign of rusting before you service it?

The radiator is never been replaced..the bike has been running for 150k km now..i didn't notice any sign of rusting before...when the mechanic took out and do the flushing also i didn't see any sign of rusting...how to check that thoroughly bro?

The radiator is never been replaced..the bike has been running for 150k km now..i didn't notice any sign of rusting before...when the mechanic took out and do the flushing also i didn't see any sign of rusting...how to check that thoroughly bro?

Normally at the radiator filler of the radiator..there be browny stain or sign or the coolant drained is brownish in colour. The best tell tale sign is the coolant hose itself as when you squeeze it, it has biscuit like cracking noise. You may not see any of these sign now but if it did ever happened before..what I meant is that the radiator did rusted before and changes made and those partial new parts you had done did not quite solve the overheating issue. So to say, the water hose and radiator channel tubing may be constricted due to past rusting and restricting coolant flow throughout the system to suit ur riding style (riding too slow or being caught in jams) and gets hotter then it can be cooled. Plse note that these are just my guess..BUT DEFINITELY an overhaul of the engine is not needed. Have to consider type of eo quality and level oso as they do paly a part in the overall heat generated to the engine block.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Been riding my S4 Spec 3 happily for the last 2 months....low mileage bike (70000km since 2005) and I'm the 4th owner, I guess. I use the bike for errands and leisure rides around Sg....

On a long ride (East to West) and in heavy traffic along the PIE, the red temp light came on spariodically. Mainly when I'm stationary. When revved, the light would go off.

Today, on another long ride in traffic, the light came on and stayed on till I got moving to about 60+kmh in 6th gear.

When home, I checked the coolant level and it's more than upper level of the plastic coolant reservoir. And the coolant is lukewarm!

What could be the issue? Can't tell if the fan is running or not....I'm guessing my water pump isn't working too well.....

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi all.

Been riding my S4 Spec 3 happily for the last 2 months....low mileage bike (70000km since 2005) and I'm the 4th owner, I guess. I use the bike for errands and leisure rides around Sg....

On a long ride (East to West) and in heavy traffic along the PIE, the red temp light came on spariodically. Mainly when I'm stationary. When revved, the light would go off.

Today, on another long ride in traffic, the light came on and stayed on till I got moving to about 60+kmh in 6th gear.

When home, I checked the coolant level and it's more than upper level of the plastic coolant reservoir. And the coolant is lukewarm!

What could be the issue? Can't tell if the fan is running or not....I'm guessing my water pump isn't working too well.....

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Is your meter original? Chiong ones tend to give force alarm.

It is original and very new-maybe 4 months old....

If you are certain that it's an original..in this case, the possibilities are many. It could be a stuck thermostat, the radiator thermal fan switch is not working, fan itself is not working due to fan motor gone bad or pump not working. To check pump..take off ur tank and access to the radiator filler port and rev the engine to see if the coolant inside has movement. To test the fan motor, you have to ground it and on the bike and for thermostat and thermal switch..it's not possible on the fly to check. Your problem indicate to the direction that the coolant is circulating only in and around the engine and does not recycle and has no exchange flow to the reserve tank..so the tube from the radiator filler to the reserve tank can be clogged with heavy rust residues too.

Thanks for the reply....lots to check.

How do I remove the thermostat?

It's located under the tank below on the lower left side. Have to take off the tank..you see a housing hub where two or three coolant tubes hoses meets. Size 8 box spanner to remove 2-3 bolted nuts and open the housing..the thermostat is inside there. Can do without replacing a new one. B4 u do..make sure to get the rubber )-ring gasket seal first to replace the old one. If the thermostat do not have rust or looks ok..to test it..boil hot water till it's boiling point at 100 degree Celsius and put the thermostat in it..after a few minutes..you should hear a sudden "pok" sound as it open up. Anyway..u ca do without a thermostat if you want.