SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Track & Cornering Techniques

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest deganduss

There r also fast riders who don't slide their knees.

Randy mamola rode with his outer foot not on the footrest & still world champion runner up three times.

Mike Hailwood rode with both knees gripping the fuel tank while cornering & still won the world championship

Hi all!! I'm a new rider with a passion for cornering! The thing is, I am riding a Cub and I really do NOT dare go low with those thin tyres. I'm on 80/90 80/90. Any help? I've tried leaning over to one side with my knee sticking out but ait close to the tarmac.

Is it better to sit a little bit backwards on the seat, to put some pressure on the rear tyre while cornering? The logic behind this is to add weight, therefore putting more traction on the rear tyre. I noticed this on some pics at kallang race, most of the cubs riders were sitting way back when taking corners.

I was told that in certain situations, it helps to put a little weight to the rear to improve traction.

Another source even said this has to be done correctly only at specific cornering places and level changes as this compensates for the irregular front-rear weight distribution -- irregular in a sense that it causes traction loss and instability.

Hmm...

Well, these are just thoughts that I came up for today....

Damn, I need to get out of my darn spoon-fed mindset and onto the tracks to prove that my bike will be happier if my derriere was shifted back :p

Co-Moderator for IT -inerary forum

Biker nerd • Windows • Apple Mac • Android user

"Kick up your sidestand bro, let's ride..."

• 2 weeks later...

Had anyone experience rear slight shaking effect when exiting a corner?

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5048/10304130.jpg

"But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth."

rear slight shaking effect, yea i do.

could it be our OEM rear shock not tat good?

"But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth."

Good info from all the track regulars. :thumb:

In addition, I also scream like a little girl under the helmet when entering corners.

It helps..... :p

Heehhee....it's helps too.....i did that even in normal road but wide corner....yeah

Just a newbie here!!

cheers

There is no Copy Right when spreading a Word on safety. :thumb: :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...
could it be our OEM rear shock not tat good?

i just got that experience my rear slide today when i am exiting turn 5.

could it be tyre pressure? i am on psi 30 for rear is it still too much? or have to adjust the stock setting for the both front and rear shock?

i just got that experience my rear slide today when i am exiting turn 5.

could it be tyre pressure? i am on psi 30 for rear is it still too much? or have to adjust the stock setting for the both front and rear shock?

Just to share and it could be applicable to you if you have not stiffen up the rear shock spring and damping for the track.

Due to the lack of loading on the rear wheel, my DRZ used to have rear wheel slides when accelerating hard out of corners. A soft shock spring will absorb alot of the initial rear wheel loading that is required for traction when accelerating, resulting in wheel spin if the torque is too much.

A simple example, it is harder to push (cause it to slip) a heavy object than a lighter one of the same size. More load = more friction.

When I stiffened up the rear spring and increased the damping and rebound of the rear shock, those rear wheel slides decreased. It works for me... mebbe it can work for you too.

Just sharing my thoughts and experience only... if anyone thinks I am talking crap, please ignore my post.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o104/angelo_neo/IMG_1208-1.jpg

FAA licenced motorcycle mechanic :angel:

Add me: http://www.facebook.com/raptormotorsports

Just to share and it could be applicable to you if you have not stiffen up the rear shock spring and damping for the track.

Due to the lack of loading on the rear wheel, my DRZ used to have rear wheel slides when accelerating hard out of corners. A soft shock spring will absorb alot of the initial rear wheel loading that is required for traction when accelerating, resulting in wheel spin if the torque is too much.

A simple example, it is harder to push (cause it to slip) a heavy object than a lighter one of the same size. More load = more friction.

When I stiffened up the rear spring and increased the damping and rebound of the rear shock, those rear wheel slides decreased. It works for me... mebbe it can work for you too.

Just sharing my thoughts and experience only... if anyone thinks I am talking crap, please ignore my post.

i thought is the other way round. for more traction i got to soften my rear shock. but what u said does make sense stiffen it so that more weight goes to the rear wheel

i thought is the other way round. for more traction i got to soften my rear shock. but what u said does make sense stiffen it so that more weight goes to the rear wheel.. thanks for sharing

i thought is the other way round. for more traction i got to soften my rear shock. but what u said does make sense stiffen it so that more weight goes to the rear wheel

Could it be our body posture? While putting our weights towards the fuel tank, meaning the rear wheel has less traction on the surface.o_O