Jump to content
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

    Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

    Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

    Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

    Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Recommended Posts

Originally posted by eaz@Aug 16 2006, 05:30 PM

I have a suggestion - get your hands on the motorcycle, strip it down then checked its gearing ratios. If I'm lucky I might just be lucky here. (I believe they won't call it sportster if it's gonna be carrying standard specifications)

 

By the way, please don't let the owner know I suggested this to you.:cheeky:

haha... dont let the cat out of the bag now....

 

:smile:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by gohjohan@Aug 15 2006, 12:24 PM

So the computer mapping is for both models? ok, I get it. Thanks nights

To add-on to what William had explained, I would like to clarify that computerized ignition mapping on throttle sensor for both models, is actually relating about ignition control module and the throttle position sensor that determines the throttle position and interfaces with the bike's ignition to optimize the ignition mapping.

 

The term “computerized” might have been too extravagant praise. Many would have mistaken the specific bike model to be fuel injector which, a matter of the facts no. I would rather have it described, as an advanced digital ignition.

 

The advanced digital ignition feature three-dimensional ignition mapping that is capable of varying the timing based on engine rpm, throttle position, and gear selection, which is, capable to give the engine excellent throttle response.

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by nights@Aug 17 2006, 11:38 AM

To add-on to what William had explained, I would like to clarify that computerized ignition mapping on throttle sensor for both models, is actually relating about ignition control module and the throttle position sensor that determines the throttle position and interfaces with the bike's ignition to optimize the ignition mapping.

 

The term “computerized” might have been too extravagant praise. Many would have mistaken the specific bike model to be fuel injector which, a matter of the facts no. I would rather have it described, as an advanced digital ignition.

 

The advanced digital ignition feature three-dimensional ignition mapping that is capable of varying the timing based on engine rpm, throttle position, and gear selection, which is, capable to give the engine excellent throttle response.

.....which indirectly controls the amount of petrol to be used. So this computerized ignition mapping contributes to the bike's fuel economy?

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/414133.png
Link to post
Share on other sites

.....which indirectly controls the amount of petrol to be used. So this computerized ignition mapping contributes to the bike's fuel economy?

 

William Tan what have you done.................... Now Abang Rosli gonna have a hard time explaining what you've done.......................:confused:

"I EAT,

BREATHE,

SLEEP,

RIDE, TALK, DREAM,

LIVE AND LOVE

MOTORCYCLES"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by eaz@Aug 17 2006, 12:47 PM

William Tan what have you done.................... Now Abang Rosli gonna have a hard time explaining what you've done.......................:confused:

Dunno... I talk about carburators only... that they contribute directly to the quantity of fuel being used. The more you open, the more fuel go in. The bigger the jetting or shorter the needle, the more fuel gets drawn in.

 

About all the ignition firing details and mapping etc etc etc... my interoretation of it is that they contribute to the engine fuel burning efficiency (which contributes to the bike's fuel economy), NOT quantity. But others may interpret differently.

 

Actually, alot of things also contribute to bike's fuel burning efficiency and economy. I know for sure, the heavier you are, more fuel will be burnt to carry you the same distance as compared to a light person. :cheeky:

 

Aiyah... all this, Abang Rosli don't need to do anything one. His best advice for me to get better fuel economy is to LOSE WEIGHT! :cheer:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Johan,

 

I must have confused you. The responsibility of the ignition system is to deliver a spark at the precise moment during the combustion process and the ignition control module is just one part of that component.

 

The throttle sensor determines the amount of throttle being used for input to the ignition module. Correct orientation of this sensor is essential for proper operation of the engine

 

When we talk about fuel consumption, it is the fuel system, as well as the engine capacity etc and other human cause’s mandatory factors. A fuel injection system deliver carefully controlled amounts of fuel and air to the engine cylinders to keep them running at optimum efficiency. While a carbureted system produce less horsepower, need more maintenance, and produce more emissions than a fuel injection system.

 

Overall, the ignition timing mapping on the throttle sensor on carburetor never really contribute to fuel economy instead, they affect the net power yield from the fuel. Thus, for optimal fuel economy, timing must be optimized.

 

I hope this clarify your doubts. :sweat:

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by nights@Aug 17 2006, 05:43 PM

Hi Johan,

 

I must have confused you. The responsibility of the ignition system is to deliver a spark at the precise moment during the combustion process and the ignition control module is just one part of that component.

 

The throttle sensor determines the amount of throttle being used for input to the ignition module. Correct orientation of this sensor is essential for proper operation of the engine

 

When we talk about fuel consumption, it is the fuel system, as well as the engine capacity etc and other human cause’s mandatory factors. A fuel injection system deliver carefully controlled amounts of fuel and air to the engine cylinders to keep them running at optimum efficiency. While a carbureted system produce less horsepower, need more maintenance, and produce more emissions than a fuel injection system.

 

Overall, the ignition timing mapping on the throttle sensor on carburetor never really contribute to fuel economy instead, they affect the net power yield from the fuel. Thus, for optimal fuel economy, timing must be optimized.

 

I hope this clarify your doubts. :sweat:

ok, let's see if I understand


     
  • Computer ignition - controls the spark to be fired from the spark plug
     
     


     
  • Throttle sensor - inputs the amount of power into the ignition module
     
     


     
  • Carburetted system has to be manually adjusted to send fuel and air into the ignition system (I chose this system 'cos Shadow 400 is carburetted)
     
     

something like that? :confused:

 

I still like this sentence

 

When we talk about fuel consumption, it is the fuel system, as well as the engine capacity etc and other human cause’s mandatory factors.
- nights

 

Looks like I have to lose weight too http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h57/devoted_01/kao5p.gif

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/414133.png
Link to post
Share on other sites

:offtopic:

 

Haha, cannot help going off topic here, looks like William can chair the Kruzer Weight Loss Club liao. I see a lot of potential in it and gaurantee you it will become a hit. Go William Go.

 

Actually the central processing unit of motorcycles nowadays control a lot of things. Such as turning off your engine when your side stand and gear are engaged at the same time. Some motorcycles won't even let you restart when engaged in 1st gear.

 

Ignition control system - picture this, your motorcycle has 2 cylinders, utilising 4 spark plugs. What do you think will happen if all 4 plugs fire at the same time? It will shorten your plugs life span but more importantly, it will decrease the efficiency of your combustion cycle because your cylinders are not design to work at the same time to create a 'cycle' (the 2 cylinders needs to alternate combustion to keep the engine running). In the scenario of your motorcycle, it basically has 2 plugs to a chamber(cylinder). The 2 plugs alternate firing to run your engine, so when you turn full throttle, the processing unit accepts this fact that more fuel has been requested by you, in turn it has to speed up the firing sequence of your plugs otherwise the rider behind you will be splattered with a lot of unused fuel(hope he has a face shield):sorry:

 

What I have encountered before is a faulty processing unit, it won't start my bike and even when started, it cannot keep running. So this processing unit actually houses the brain of motorcycles today, without it all hell breaks loose. The con side of it is the fact that you won't know when it's time to change and there's no maintence method for it.

 

So you see, to me the processor serves its role to ensure that the heart of my motorcycle works correctly by keeping it beating when its alive (with me on it la). And when it does its job correctly, it keeps me smiling all the way to the bank.

"I EAT,

BREATHE,

SLEEP,

RIDE, TALK, DREAM,

LIVE AND LOVE

MOTORCYCLES"

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by zero_degrees@Sep 14 2006, 06:48 PM

So any outing for shadow riders and ex-shadow riders or contributors of this thread? hehee :smile:

You are always welcome to join the kruzers at Prata cafe down at Evans Road. Probably you would find a lot of ex and current shadow riders there. :smile:

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

 

I am currently looking at a Shadow FP 5XXX plate.

 

What sort of price do you guys think will be considered reasonable.

 

Condition of price looks ok. Comes with a big GIVI windshield. Some minor rust spots on the front suspension area. Didn't really have a chanve to look at the rest of the areas.

 

Any advice will be appreciated. Many thanks in advance

Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by zero_degrees@Sep 14 2006, 06:48 PM

So any outing for shadow riders and ex-shadow riders or contributors of this thread? hehee :smile:

I am riding a shadow. do come and meet us at Mr. Prata at Evans Road this Friday.

 

Will be going in for refuel tonight. please call me (9276 2686) if you would like to join us tonight.

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forum/uploads/photo-588.jpg

 

Home of Kruzers

 

The ugliness we see in others Is a reflection of our own nature.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by air_super4@Oct 21 2006, 02:35 AM

hi, i just got my shadow ace.

 

need some help on the "fuel" switch" :sweat:

 

the wording on the switch is totally gone. and currently my switch is pointing downwards. which is on? thx :smile:

down is on .. up is reserve ... midway is off ...

 

hope this helps. Say .. what colour is your shadow? and what year?

have bike will travel . . . . .

 

www.kruzer.sg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Slasher's end can, END can ONLY cost $490+(excl GST) per piece. Slasher got 2 pieces onboard. YOu can try EverSuccess opp Mustafa ctr for Honda parts.

Practice make perfect....But since Nothing is perfect, Why practice so hard? by Cowboy Wong....

http://w2.bikepics.com/pics/2006/11/22/bikepics-729398-150.jpg

I didn't know I already in love with my Slow Little Greenie until recently almost selling her away...how can like that? :faint:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by dreamwalk@Nov 22 2006, 10:28 PM

If im not wrong a new stock shadow exhaust will cost abt 1.2 - 1.4 K.

 

Whats wrong with yours?

Oh its not mine. I'm helping a friend to ask. He just got into an accident. Part of the exhaust is dented and cant be repaired. Thanks for the info. :thumb:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e54/quincy77/MONSTERENERGY.jpg

It is when power is wedded to chronic fear that it becomes formidable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Intruder@Nov 22 2006, 10:38 PM

Slasher's end can, END can ONLY cost $490+(excl GST) per piece. Slasher got 2 pieces onboard. YOu can try EverSuccess opp Mustafa ctr for Honda parts.

Thanks, I'll ask him to take a look at EverSucess.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e54/quincy77/MONSTERENERGY.jpg

It is when power is wedded to chronic fear that it becomes formidable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Cybernation@Nov 22 2006, 09:32 PM

Not sure if this thread is still alive. Need some help about the Shadow 400. Need to know how much does the first hand stock exhaust cost?

Last I inquired, a Shadow ACE 400's exhaust will cost about S$600. You can also get it over eBay for Shadow ACE 750 as they are the same. If you can get it under US$100 including shipping to vPost US, you can bring it in under S$500 including vPost shipping. You can also try Chong Aik and FJT

have bike will travel . . . . .

 

www.kruzer.sg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Cybernation@Nov 22 2006, 10:57 PM

Thanks, I'll ask him to take a look at EverSucess.

Call em at 62925909 to chk the availability 1st b4 go over. Dun make the trip wasted. The sales there is very professional, they will check their catelog n the part number, rather than anyhow ham-tam.

Practice make perfect....But since Nothing is perfect, Why practice so hard? by Cowboy Wong....

http://w2.bikepics.com/pics/2006/11/22/bikepics-729398-150.jpg

I didn't know I already in love with my Slow Little Greenie until recently almost selling her away...how can like that? :faint:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by dreamwalk@Nov 22 2006, 11:22 PM

Dented huh,

 

Bring back to honda work shop and ask them wrap a new 'skin' over the dented parts.

 

If the connection to the muffler/endcan is broken can be welded back.

 

I dun think need to buy a new one..

 

Not worth lah

Sad to say the dented portion is near the connection point to the engine. The curviture area where wrapping is not possible..

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e54/quincy77/MONSTERENERGY.jpg

It is when power is wedded to chronic fear that it becomes formidable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Intruder@Nov 22 2006, 11:57 PM

Call em at 62925909 to chk the availability 1st b4 go over. Dun make the trip wasted. The sales there is very professional, they will check their catelog n the part number, rather than anyhow ham-tam.

Hey Intruder thx alot, this is of good help. Will take note the number to call. :thumb:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e54/quincy77/MONSTERENERGY.jpg

It is when power is wedded to chronic fear that it becomes formidable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • DAIS_1MONTHFREE_SingaporeBikes banner_Motorcycle_300X250.jpg

×
×
  • Create New...