SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Hazard Oriented Vision (HOV) : Safety Ride 30 Aug

endlessloop

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Rider.sg site is up.

This site is dedicated towards evangelising motorcycling safety in Singapore.

We will progressively add more things there in the future.

http://www.rider.sg

great! kudos to you and the team for promoting safe riding as well as having fun at the same time.

Rat bike - A motorcycle not necessarily kept in pristine condition, often painted matt black. Minimal maintenance and mismatched parts often used.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi folks

I've created some videos that would emphasise some of the points taught by Endlessloop during the HOV. Hope you'll enjoy them.

http://www.vimeo.com/tag:hazardorientedvision

These clips were captured over 2 days. Shows how often we're placed in potentially dangerous situations.

Video playback may be icky as Vimeo is not a very stable site. Also please pardon the grammar as Vimeo isn't saving my changes!!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/176/382836949_9f10369d74.jpg

Hi folks

I've created some videos that would emphasise some of the points taught by Endlessloop during the HOV. Hope you'll enjoy them.

http://www.vimeo.com/tag:hazardorientedvision

These clips were captured over 2 days. Shows how often we're placed in potentially dangerous situations.

Video playback may be icky as Vimeo is not a very stable site. Also please pardon the grammar as Vimeo isn't saving my changes!!

power la lutein!! Make this thread revive again.... hahhahha!

anyway, sis, i cant help but feel dez a lack of horns in ur riding. Sometimes a friendly tap could help save lives! :smile:

well Jack, mebbe she is trying to be friendly...

on my morning rides down the KJE to you know where my office is... i cannot do it without my thumb on the horn! LOL

Grounded... :/

Horns in my opinion do nothing much. By the time the other person hears the horn, looks around and realises what's happening, it may be too late.

Horns also make one angry. I used the horn a lot when I drove, and I was a very exasperated and stressed driver. All the calm, collected and good drivers/riders I know do not use the horn except in extreme emergencies. They prefer to anticipate situations and take evasive action.

I will, however, use high beam at times because the other driver/rider can interprete it immediately. Usually I use it when approaching junctions and the jokers look like they're going to turn into my path. (Bikes tend to look further than they are due to the size.)

Nice vids Lutein :thumb: I like them :) Good written summary of HOV application too :thumb:

Horns.. Good for alerting others. Short friendly beep to say "I'm coming through" or "I'm here". Agree with you its best to avoid sticky situations altogether. Sometimes horns may not work on some road users :faint:

P-plate should be an attitude to safety and riding. There's always more to learn.

10417710_10152885054228332_2597706433133321618_n.jpg?oh=a3e4c65165b15e5d659161c304211563&oe=54FB0965

well Jack, mebbe she is trying to be friendly...

on my morning rides down the KJE to you know where my office is... i cannot do it without my thumb on the horn! LOL

Fwahahaz! every morning lots of practice for u bro! :cheeky:

Horns in my opinion do nothing much. By the time the other person hears the horn, looks around and realises what's happening, it may be too late.

Horns also make one angry. I used the horn a lot when I drove, and I was a very exasperated and stressed driver. All the calm, collected and good drivers/riders I know do not use the horn except in extreme emergencies. They prefer to anticipate situations and take evasive action.

I will, however, use high beam at times because the other driver/rider can interprete it immediately. Usually I use it when approaching junctions and the jokers look like they're going to turn into my path. (Bikes tend to look further than they are due to the size.)

Yup yup, best is avoid. I normally use it only to alert others, like impending x-junction turn where the drivers look very undecided or when there are BBOs blocking the view and really cant see at all at x-junction.

Nice vids Lutein :thumb: I like them :) Good written summary of HOV application too :thumb:

Horns.. Good for alerting others. Short friendly beep to say "I'm coming through" or "I'm here". Agree with you its best to avoid sticky situations altogether. Sometimes horns may not work on some road users :faint:

Yes! sometimes u horn, they still "gheh gheh lai!" :faint:

Be Safe & Wreckless

Sin Ming Editor 1 day jail, $2k fine for pillion death!

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5326937&posted=1#post5326937

Lutein,

Great application of HOV! I'm glad you hold your discipline and is diligent in practising the craft of motorcycling safety. You will be greatly rewarded for your hardwork and diligence. :thumb:

Thanks for filming and sharing the video of your HOV application.

I think you have illustrated much more better how HOV is applied in real life riding. :thumb:

I would like to work with you to post more of your video on the Rider.Sg site.

Please continue to film more of your rides and add those wonderful commentary. It really adds a new dimension on sharing and improving motorcycling safety. I/PPlater will get in touch with you on this.

Side-note: Lutetin, great great idea on mounting videocam to film your rides.:thumb:

I have thought for a long time what is a really practical solution to safe guarding motorcyclist rights on the road. Many think of amending the law. I think the law cannot be biased only to motorcyclists because the road is for all to use. Even today, the law is already here today to protect us motorcyclists. But the real challenge is it is hard for us to use the law. To use the law, you need fool-proof evidence and/or witnesses. And these are especially hard for us motorcycles.

One of the best solutions I can think of, is to mount a video cam (foreward-looking and rearward-looking). The idea is like the blackboxes on an airplane. These recordings help serve as evidence to proof the rights and wrongs.

Imagine when sufficient motorcycles have such mountings, other road users would think twice of abusing motorcycles, wouldn't it?

Edited by endlessloop

29 Mar:

2009 Yamaha FZ1 Fazer Owner's Review

loudexhaust.blogspot.com

www.RiderAsia.com Safety site for motorcycle riders

Lutein,

Great application of HOV! I'm glad you hold your discipline and is diligent in practising the craft of motorcycling safety. You will be greatly rewarded for your hardwork and diligence. :thumb:

Thanks for filming and sharing the video of your HOV application.

I think you have illustrated much more better how HOV is applied in real life riding. :thumb:

I would like to work with you to post more of your video on the Rider.Sg site.

Please continue to film more of your rides and add those wonderful commentary. It really adds a new dimension on sharing and improving motorcycling safety. I/PPlater will get in touch with you on this.

Side-note: Lutetin, great great idea on mounting videocam to film your rides.:thumb:

I have thought for a long time what is a really practical solution to safe guarding motorcyclist rights on the road. Many think of amending the law. I think the law cannot be biased only to motorcyclists because the road is for all to use. Even today, the law is already here today to protect us motorcyclists. But the real challenge is it is hard for us to use the law. To use the law, you need fool-proof evidence and/or witnesses. And these are especially hard for us motorcycles.

One of the best solutions I can think of, is to mount a video cam (foreward-looking and rearward-looking). The idea is like the blackboxes on an airplane. These recordings help serve as evidence to proof the rights and wrongs.

Imagine when sufficient motorcycles have such mountings, other road users would think twice of abusing motorcycles, wouldn't it?

Definitely!

Blackbox just like this lady!

On top of mounting videocams as blackboxes, I was thinking of mounting videocam dud on my box, dud as in a fake videocam, for security/ safety reasons. Coupled with a "CAMERA mounted" sticker on box.

This idea is also being used in security solutions coz when ppl noe they under surveillance, most will "guai-guai" and not "guai-l@n".

There are actually many riders who are enthusiatic abt mounting videocams while riding, but even with a powerful portable HD videocam lutein is using, sometimes also cant see the no plates - if really for an intention like blackbox. So i think mainly is to compile potantial traps/ near misses for learning purposes rather than evidence? :smile:

Be Safe & Wreckless

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5326937&posted=1#post5326937

Thanks. I did think about rear cam but really no idea how to mount it. I prefer to mount the cam on my jacket because if there's an accident, the camera will come with me to the hospital. Leave it on the bike and people may steal it. Maybe can get TWO VHoldR helmet bullet cams-one point front, one point back. Hmm maybe I can try when my wallet gets fatter...

As you may have noticed, my riding is a bit auntie-style, because I've come too close to injury/death accidents when I was driving. I couldn't forget one incident, I was speeding down Lentor Avenue when suddenly an uncle riding on a BICYCLE appeared on the EXTREME RIGHT LANE (and right side of the lane). I swerved and barely missed him (and almost hit another car in the process).

Also, my partner's accident served to highlight several HOV points. He t-boned a car at a junction (car turning). Thanks to his protective gear he only suffered a broken wrist and some abrasions. So now he always nags "slow down at junctions, slow down at junctions"...

More importantly, I wanna stay alive because I still want to support my family...

Ride safe.

There are actually many riders who are enthusiatic abt mounting videocams while riding, but even with a powerful portable HD videocam lutein is using, sometimes also cant see the no plates - if really for an intention like blackbox. So i think mainly is to compile potantial traps/ near misses for learning purposes rather than evidence? :smile:

The number plates will come in when it's a hit and run. Even without capturing number plates, the camera would have captured important details like how the accident happened, time, colour of vehicle etc.

In Dawn Champion's example, her accident happened in broad daylight so capturing the number plate was not crucial, capturing what happened was.

BTW there's already another camera thread so let's not clog up this thread here: http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237725

Thanks. I did think about rear cam but really no idea how to mount it. I prefer to mount the cam on my jacket because if there's an accident, the camera will come with me to the hospital. Leave it on the bike and people may steal it. Maybe can get TWO VHoldR helmet bullet cams-one point front, one point back. Hmm maybe I can try when my wallet gets fatter...

As you may have noticed, my riding is a bit auntie-style, because I've come too close to injury/death accidents when I was driving. I couldn't forget one incident, I was speeding down Lentor Avenue when suddenly an uncle riding on a BICYCLE appeared on the EXTREME RIGHT LANE (and right side of the lane). I swerved and barely missed him (and almost hit another car in the process).

Also, my partner's accident served to highlight several HOV points. He t-boned a car at a junction (car turning). Thanks to his protective gear he only suffered a broken wrist and some abrasions. So now he always nags "slow down at junctions, slow down at junctions"...

More importantly, I wanna stay alive because I still want to support my family...

Ride safe.

That uncle waiting for ppl to bang him so can claim insurance and "pension". :faint:

The number plates will come in when it's a hit and run. Even without capturing number plates, the camera would have captured important details like how the accident happened, time, colour of vehicle etc.

In Dawn Champion's example, her accident happened in broad daylight so capturing the number plate was not crucial, capturing what happened was.

BTW there's already another camera thread so let's not clog up this thread here: http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237725

Yup, but not sure how sg courts work dou. think videos/ photos may not serve as evidence? not really certain on it.

i think if more of us capture more "interesting" moments, can compile ald! :cheeky:

Be Safe & Wreckless

• 3 weeks later...

It's good to see riders like Lutein video her daily rides just like what Dawn Champion did! I think I might just do the same in the future too! :smile:

Biking is something that everyone can learn and enjoy! :goodluck:

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp344/s4dreamer/Laos%20n%20Cambodia%20Trip%2011%20to%2028%20May%202009/Poipet-Cambodia1.jpg

• 1 month later...

The next HOV session is on August 30th, Sunday 9am.

Objectives:

1. To discuss any questions you have about HOV concept.

2. To demonstrate how HOV is used and other safety aspects of riding

For Who?

Any rider who wishes to improve safety skills. Must come with own bike (for practical riding portion)

Venue: To be Confirmed.

Interested riders please list your nick below and pm your contact number and bike engine capacity to S4^dreamer.

P-plate should be an attitude to safety and riding. There's always more to learn.

10417710_10152885054228332_2597706433133321618_n.jpg?oh=a3e4c65165b15e5d659161c304211563&oe=54FB0965