SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Suzuki Impulse GSX 400

Zon

Thank you for your kind words! Am very pleased with how it turned out. It looks exactly like the Japanese Impulse bikes ive seen now :) no reason for any cockster to say it's a super 4 now :)

But I think this bike still is CSV's 868 :) I would never have restored it to this level if he hadn't settled it's internals. Things like de rusting the tank and doing the valve clearance are all uber important stuff that he got done that then allowed me to push the restoration to this level.

Plus when I first met him and the Impulse, he said to me that he wanted to sell the Impulse to the 'right guy' who could appreciate it and I knew I did, which is why I immediately asked him why he chose to paint it a boring single tone blue when the Impulse can look stunning! Plus I wanted to at least have 1 out of the 5 remaining on our roads in it's true glory. I mean, people restore old CB range Hondas, and old Z range Kawasakis but why not a Suzuki Impulse?

Sorry if I talked too much, just thinking out loud :) btw, I just picked up the Impulse from Ah Chong, it was a snagged fuel line that was causing the issues. Looks like Yeow Motors didn't put my fuel tank back on properly. But I really loved their attitude and service and how perfect the paint job turned out that I'm going to let the incident slide :)

Btwn, I never got your name! I'm John, and I'm still in contact with CSV on Facebook. Do add me up if you want :)

https://m.facebook.com/jeevan.j.menon?__user=567319723

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

planning to sell my impulse soon if I am taking up a permanent overseas assignment. Bike is in great shape... 100% uptime in the last 4 years I have been using it. Replaced front, back tyres (Last 2-5 months), New Chain (last month), replaced leaking Tank a year back (original tank had pin holes). Wonderful bike..... real charm to ride it at all speeds. COE valid till June 2023...... Bike has no centre stand, and chain guard. Looking for a decent price from one of the GSK 400 Impulse lovers.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Kelvin. Sorry, I've no Facebook.

So what is CSV's ride now?

And how's your fully restored Impulse, giving you alot of attention nowadays?

Yamaha Power Valve, Suzuki scrambler, Honda Scrambler (1992 - 1998)

Suzuki Swift : 2001 - 2003

Honda City : 2003 - 2011

Honda Civic VTI : 2011 - 2015

Suzuki Impulse GSX400V 2014 - 2017, extend till Oct 2022 (Scrap in Nov 2020) 😢

Honda Vezel : 2015 - Nov 2025

Nice to meet you Kelvin! :) that's good! Facebook is counter productive.

Chris told me he's riding a scrambler in Malaysia if I'm not wrong?

Haha it's getting enough attention to make me worried when I'm not around. One old man even said he wanted to buy it but I said no straight away. Other than that, people still arnt sure what bike it is cos I've yet to put the 'IMPULSE' badge up. I don't know what's the best way to secure the badge. I know 3M mounting tape is good but I cannot afford to have te badge fly away. So I'm still thinking about that for now :)

Do you mean that Chris is Malaysian or he bought a scrambler and is using it for off-road biking in Malaysia & on-road in Sin.

I had also been thinking about your restored Impulse. I would also be worried about leaving it alone. Especially for HDB dwellers, it would be OK if ppl look at it but we don't know which idiot might look & decide to do funny thing to it.

I guess the 3M tape shld be OK but would advise you get those for outdoor use. They are more resistant to rain & shine. Don't use those for indoor (to hang pictures on walls at home), those will peel and bye-bye to the badge.

Happy New Year Guys. Attached herewith picture of my bike as someone was interested to see how it looks .... lol the bike has not been washed for many year....Grrr..o_O . I have included photos of the old leaking original tank replaced with 2nd hand I purchased at Sugei Kadut spare part shop.

Sad many people have been stealing screws from all corners and I need to be extra careful after I chain cover just came off recently at high speed after some sucker had removed the screws to steal it. Thank goodness I miraculously managed to stopping it corner from lane 1 to road shoulder in matter of seconds after alerting all motorists with a hands up signal. I had to discard the chain cover after it was damaged. Centre stand broke off after bike skidded on a wet carpark ramp ( still with me need to weld back, checked with many bike shop not able to fix. Metal works quoted 100 plus to fix but wants me to leave the bike at his workshop for 2 weeks). Ha ha can't survive without this bike as I need it for my daily rides.

Impulse 4.jpgImpulse 5.jpgImpulse 6.jpgImpulse 1.jpgImpulse 2.jpgImpulse 3.jpg

Haha nope! He is back in Malaysia and is riding a scrambler in Malaysia.

Nah I trust nothing will happen. I do cover it every night so no issues there.

So when can the remaining few Impulse riders meet? At least before Batliwala sells his off?

lol... better cover it always as it is neighbors envy owners pride. I am thinking of doing the same after recently finding many of the screws coming off mysteriously at odd places including main bolt off the shock absorber (my wife got the shock of her life after the seat suddenlu dislodged over a hump). I have caught the guy on my cctv camera pointing at the bike from home. I was surprised to know the guy (middle aged chap doing this mischief is a person known to me). I decided not to confront or take him to the police with the evidence I have gathered as I do not want to get him into problem. With recently my chain cover coming off and putting my life to risk... I am thinking hey man why pity with this guy or his family just call the shots when I catch him doing the mischief again. Anyways my cam is on recording mode 24X7 .. hope to catch this guy soon as he is screwing up with my life and my bike. As the saying goes "Different Strokes for Different Folks" -- don't let the culprit escape before he endanger more innocent bikers-:thumb:.

Happy New Year...

To Batliwala, since you already have footage of the guy, you should go ahead and make a police report? Like you said, it endanger you, your pillion and other road users too.

On a side note, did you by any chance offend him. But even if you did, there is also no need for him to 'sabo' your ride to get back at you. I think in SGP law, intention to cause harm/injury to another person is an offence.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Batliwala! Good to hear from you :) I'm amazed at how patient you are with this thief! I wouldn't let him go at all. Just be careful, it's scary to think about what might go missing next.

How did the mainstand break off from a skid in the carpark? I mean, wouldn't it take a considerable amount of force to break it off?

Anyways, I'm glad there are others roaming this thread, I just wish they wouldn't be so silent ;)

Anyway, do ride safe guys!

Hey Batliwala! Good to hear from you :) I'm amazed at how patient you are with this thief! I wouldn't let him go at all. Just be careful, it's scary to think about what might go missing next.

How did the mainstand break off from a skid in the carpark? I mean, wouldn't it take a considerable amount of force to break it off?

Anyways, I'm glad there are others roaming this thread, I just wish they wouldn't be so silent ;)

Yes Patient enough with the thief because belongs to my own community ha ha...

My bike broke down at a traffic signal luckily near my home yesterday. could not change gears lot of slippage of the chain and not responding to gear shifts. Was puzzled what went wrong? Was thinking if the sprocket conked of but chain was properly aligned. Suspected either gear box problem or something wrong with the transmission. Towed vehicle to a bike shop in Yishun. Chekced and found the front sprocket was slipping on the shaft. The shaft splines holding the front sprocket in place has worn off.

Check with you guys any other options available to repair other than overhauling the engine to change the shaft. Bike shop asking me to Scrap this bike and buy their CB400 after topping up the balance. I want to know if any options like welding the sprocket to the shaft will solve this problem. Was thinking of over hauling but I am not sure if the bike will run back to its old glory again? Any ideas or suggestions welcome. Will update again.... untill next time. Cheers.

The main stand sheared off the chassis at one of it ends and was unstable dangling after I skidded at my carpark ramp, luckily did not fall off the bike I balanced myself to put back the bike to normal. This happened more than a year ago. I went to a nearby bike shop and they removed it. Now if I think about it I should have asked them to weld it back in place. Cheers.

Edited by batliwala

Yes please keep us updated. Please dont scrap it! I've been told by lots that the Impulse's engine is bullet proof with basic care. The super 4 is not the best replacement anyways. I'm sure a well done overhaul will restore the Impulse back to it's old glory, I don't see why it wouldn't.

Do keep us updated :)

yes the engine is bullet proof and rocksolid, love the way it pulls through all the speed ranges. It worked and served me like a work horse and would get it rebuilt to its old glory. Yeah.. Impulse Rulez.. anyday better than the CB 400 I had owned in the past.

Yes please keep us updated. Please dont scrap it! I've been told by lots that the Impulse's engine is bullet proof with basic care. The super 4 is not the best replacement anyways. I'm sure a well done overhaul will restore the Impulse back to it's old glory, I don't see why it wouldn't.

Do keep us updated :)

That's good! :D where do you plan to do it? how much does something like a full overhaul cost?

Anyways, I have a friend who said he spotted a gold Impulse recently. Anyone know about a gold Impulse existing?

Getting it done at a bike shop (Tune IN Motors) in Yishun. Opened up the entire engine and found all internal components are in good shape. Bike Shop quoted me SGD1300 for the Valve seals, spline shaft, overhaul gaskets, oil pipe, coolant hose, Throttle cable, Workmanship, front sprocket, transportation charges, Engine Oil and Coolant replacement. Will be collecting my bike tomorrow.

Huat Ah!Happy Chinese NEw Year to all my Chinese friends!

I ride at 70km/hr only...please please dont blow2 at me or overtake me dangerously....wait i change into Incredible Hulk n dont know why my little baby bike will always be ahead of u if u do that