SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Questions on Car Insurance

C.S

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you change ownership, you will incur transfer fee. That money can be put to better use.

:)

Leave the car ownership and insurance at it is. Trust me, I'm tried to do the same thing but I rather not now. Different in cost is like 1k+.

Haha, true true true :p

But then gotta start somewhere right, otherwise can't accumulate the NCD

I am who I am... :cool:

I was looking at new cars recently but sort of gave up because of insurance. I'm 25, been riding since 19 (locally) and driving since 21 (in the US). I thought I was mentally prepared when I wanted to buy my own car in Singapore, but man, it was a nasty wake-up call.

Side story:

Since I am currently riding a literbike, I naturally looked at more powerful cars, namely Impreza 2.0 RS, Lancer EX 2.0 GT and Civic SI 2.0. (Can't afford WRX, Evolution or Type R) Big mistake. Anything less than a V8-equipped supercar is not going to give the same kind of acceleration or response of a modern sports bike. Found that out when I test drove the Impreza and pushed it to tyre-screeching limits. (But the salesgirl was very sporting and asked me to drive as hard as I wanted. Thumbs up!) The heavy Lancer EX was even more tame. Left the Civic which I'll try this weekend.

Back to insurance. I was quoted $3.6K for AIG insurance for the Lancer EX and the Impreza. I am expecting the Civic to be about that range. If I ask my dad to be the non-driving owner, the insurance drops to $2.6K - better but still quite bad.

A 40-year-old colleague of mine is driving the previous model Altis and is paying $900+ even though he has 55% NCD and no claim record!

RXZ NSR150SP SV650 CBR400RR GSXR1000 FZ6S VFR800 CBR1000RR R1200GS

Galant ES 2.4A Civic Si 2.0A

Side story:

Since I am currently riding a literbike, I naturally looked at more powerful cars, namely Impreza 2.0 RS, Lancer EX 2.0 GT and Civic SI 2.0. (Can't afford WRX, Evolution or Type R) Big mistake. Anything less than a V8-equipped supercar is not going to give the same kind of acceleration or response of a modern sports bike. Found that out when I test drove the Impreza and pushed it to tyre-screeching limits. (But the salesgirl was very sporting and asked me to drive as hard as I wanted. Thumbs up!) The heavy Lancer EX was even more tame. Left the Civic which I'll try this weekend.

That's not a fair comparison. Even a Porsche GT3 wouldn't match the acceleration of a 600cc sports bike.

But why would you want a car that goes like a bomb on the street ?

Back to insurance. I was quoted $3.6K for AIG insurance for the Lancer EX and the Impreza. I am expecting the Civic to be about that range. If I ask my dad to be the non-driving owner, the insurance drops to $2.6K - better but still quite bad.

A 40-year-old colleague of mine is driving the previous model Altis and is paying $900+ even though he has 55% NCD and no claim record!

Unfortunately that's the market rate, and you are further penalised with loading on the premium since you are young.......and dangerous :angel:.

I was looking at new cars recently but sort of gave up because of insurance. I'm 25, been riding since 19 (locally) and driving since 21 (in the US). I thought I was mentally prepared when I wanted to buy my own car in Singapore, but man, it was a nasty wake-up call.

Side story:

coz the hatchback not really that gd in sales, so whack until u happy and hope u might consider. Your insurance high maybe you just convert your license? age and lately preimum high.

:cool:

That's not a fair comparison. Even a Porsche GT3 wouldn't match the acceleration of a 600cc sports bike.

But why would you want a car that goes like a bomb on the street ?

Unfortunately that's the market rate, and you are further penalised with loading on the premium since you are young.......and dangerous :angel:.

Ah, I realised that later (luckily not too late) so I am instead looking at bang-for-the-buck and reliability now. Maybe I'll end up with a used Lancer GLX (cheapest made-in-Japan car in town) or Civic 1.8 (very close power-to-weight ratio as the 2.0, with almost all the accessories).

coz the hatchback not really that gd in sales, so whack until u happy and hope u might consider. Your insurance high maybe you just convert your license? age and lately preimum high.

Yeah, the Impreza hatchback has quite low OMV. I think it's because of my age. I converted in 2006 and the salesgirl told me it is not affecting the premium much.

Update

Called NTUC Income today. Quoted for the "Classic" comprehensive plan for a 2006 Lancer GLX 1.6M. Darn, it is $4315.60! Salesgirl said it's because NTUC Income increased motor insurance by 20%-30% across the board. WTF. My K4 is also insured by NTUC. Maybe I should change when I renew...

Ah, I realised that later (luckily not too late) so I am instead looking at bang-for-the-buck and reliability now. Maybe I'll end up with a used Lancer GLX (cheapest made-in-Japan car in town) or Civic 1.8 (very close power-to-weight ratio as the 2.0, with almost all the accessories).

Yeah, the Impreza hatchback has quite low OMV. I think it's because of my age. I converted in 2006 and the salesgirl told me it is not affecting the premium much.

Update

Called NTUC Income today. Quoted for the "Classic" comprehensive plan for a 2006 Lancer GLX 1.6M. Darn, it is $4315.60! Salesgirl said it's because NTUC Income increased motor insurance by 20%-30% across the board. WTF. My K4 is also insured by NTUC. Maybe I should change when I renew...

Erm...FYI, NTUC always give the wrong quote. There was once where my friend was quoted wrongly 4 times..

Also, its cheaper if you go to a broker. A broker can give discounts!

*~/dReAm aS |f yOu'|| |iVe fOreVEr, |ivE As |f yoU'|| d|E toDAy\~*

Broker can outsource for you to your requirements eg. cheapest or best coverage or more or less excess.

rhema83: I dun think there is anymore new Lancer GLX ard liao. Last saw for new car (old model) was like last month. If happened to find left over stock, please drop us a post. The old >$40k GLX was last seen in early Feb and I think all sold out.

Btw, over the increment of premium, generally every insurance co had increased. I was expecting mine to increase a couple of hundreds at least - prepared myself mentally. Even thou mine was 55% NCD + merit and last year premium at $700+ for my 1.6L car.

Car:

Leisure driving and family outing

Kia Cerato/Auto/Sedan:

Present FC: 11.03km/L

Update

pardon me, whats classic plan?

anyway lately preimum all very high, maybe insurance company losing money so must suck from us :lol:

:cool:

pardon me, whats classic plan?

anyway lately preimum all very high, maybe insurance company losing money so must suck from us :lol:

if i remember correctly, classic plan is the one where repairs will have to be done by NTUC assigned workshop only.

NTUC got alot of plans. Premium plan, premium plus plan, classic plan...blah blah blah....

make sure you know what the plan includes hor. if yours is a brand new car with 3 yr warranty, please opt for the plan which allows you to go back to your manufacturer. if you choose otherwise, you will not be allowed to bring your car back to your manufacturer even if there is a warranty.

You guys can try getting some quotes from Mayban Assurance. Remember I said NTUC quoted me more than $4k for a Civic 1.8A? Mayban quoted $2.7k for the same car. That's a huge difference. Granted, this plan does not have courtesy car, free named driver, etc. But it allows servicing at the agent.

Finally I see some "light at the end of the tunnel".

Wow, didnt know abt the across-the-board increase in insurance premium. :giddy:

I believe it has got something to do with that silly rule about reporting to idac or duno-wat centres within 24hours :argue:

Iin the past if you settle privately, no insurance company will know that you kanna accident so they wont load your premium.

Now that even if you privately settle they will know that you've got accident and will increase your premiums. lol..

wa

machiam bikes lar

extra plastics cost extra

ok...........

so, i assume a harmless non powerful 1.3 car.. prolly around 1.8K for my age?

looking at something like hyundai matrix 1.3

hahahah

or maybe KIA

or maybe CHERY

Bro matrix is not 1.3 its 1.6 or 1.8.

Mine is 1.6, my last insurance i paid 1.3k+ for age 25 for an OPC by ntuc. Premiums have gone up.

Recently i got quotation for honda JAzz 1.3. normal plate for a 26yr old. was shocked to hear 3.4k.

Avante, 1.6 alsmot 2k.

Yamaha LC 125 03/02 - 04/03

Yamaha RXZ 03/03 - 04/05

Suzuki Bandit VV 04/05 - 02/06

Yamaha Fazer 1000 03/06 - 10/07

Honda Blackbird 10/07 - 08/08

Yamaha Fazer 600 10/08 - 02/10

Honda Blackbird 02/10 - 03/12

Its not the brand entirely cosing the raise in premium, merely bcos jazz is a hatchback whilst subaru mostly "sport" car. Avante is consider a family saloon. Different companies have different category, be sure ask for many quotes and look throughly (Read the fine print of term and conditions) before committing into any insurance. Plus you have the option of choosing different plans/premiums or up your excess to lower your premium. Be sure to ask throughly to insurance companies also.

Car:

Leisure driving and family outing

Kia Cerato/Auto/Sedan:

Present FC: 11.03km/L

I can summarise quotes for your reference...

Subaru Impreza 2.0A RS hatch - $3400+ AIA

Mitsubishi Lancer EX GT 2.0A - $3600+ AIA

Hyundai Avante S 1.6A - $2700+ AIA

Honda Civic 2.0A SI (registered 2006) - $2880+ Mayban

Honda Civic 1.8A VTi-S (registered 2006) - $2700+ Mayban

Lancer 1.6A GLX (registered 2006) - $2400+ Mayban

Subaru WRX 2.0M (registered 2006) - $7000+ !!!

Kaoz... sooner or later insurance will cost the same as the car.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/Arcfire/PGforumbike.jpg

Jun 2002 - May 2003 ~ NSR150SP

May2003 - Dec 2006 ~ GSXR400RR

Oct 2006 - Present ~ Burgman AN400K3

• 1 month later...
I can summarise quotes for your reference...

Subaru Impreza 2.0A RS hatch - $3400+ AIA

Mitsubishi Lancer EX GT 2.0A - $3600+ AIA

Hyundai Avante S 1.6A - $2700+ AIA

Honda Civic 2.0A SI (registered 2006) - $2880+ Mayban

Honda Civic 1.8A VTi-S (registered 2006) - $2700+ Mayban

Lancer 1.6A GLX (registered 2006) - $2400+ Mayban

Subaru WRX 2.0M (registered 2006) - $7000+ !!!

Hi this is based on 0%NCD and below 26 yrs old?

STOP ANIMAL ABUSE

• 1 year later...

Mitsubishi lancer cs3 OPC (2007)

Insur: 1154.44 (aviva)

Type: Comprehensive/25yo and above driver

NCD: 40%

Exp: 7+

2000-Yamaha lc125/2001yamaha tzr125/2002Suzuki gsxr400r/2003-Honda TA 200/2005-Honda wave S 125/2005-Honda S4 spec 2/2007-yamaha yp400/2008-yamaha R6/2009-Honda CG 125/2010-Suzuki Dr200se/2010-Honda steed 400/2011-honda cb400sf pb1/2011-sym joyride 200/2012-honda wave

307820_10150323232886544_694486543_7936127_1053552251_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...