SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Inverted Gear Shifts..

RAKz

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, how of many you all change ur gear shift to inverted ( 1up 5down )??

Any comments on it, just wanna try something new. :cheeky:

personally i do like the feeling of it but need some time to got familiar with it but it doesnt seems to do any diff

Aprilia RS 125

Honda NSR 150SP

Honda CBR 400RRR

Suzuki GSXR 1000K4

KIA Cerato Forte 1.6SX

Mitsubishi Lancer EX 2.0GT

Yamaha YZF-R6 12

Hi guys, how of many you all change ur gear shift to inverted ( 1up 5down )??

Any comments on it, just wanna try something new. :cheeky:

What bike are you riding?

personally i do like the feeling of it but need some time to got familiar with it but it doesnt seems to do any diff

Shifting up on a straight-line drag acceleration is much quicker and easier as well as shifting up when powering out of a corner is much easier.

Of course, this is based on personal opinion and experience. It may differ from rider to rider...

There are 3 main reasons why riders switch to "reverse" aka "race pattern" shift:

1 - It is almost impossible to shift up when at/going to full lean in a left hand corner when you use a regular shift. With reverse shift, you just press down, instead of having to hook you're whole boot under the lever, which at full left hand lean, will result in your left foot scraping the ground and unsettling the bike.

2 - In straight line acceleration, it takes much less effort to press down to shift up rather than to hook up to shift up.

3 - Under hard braking at the track, you lose your body anchor points when you lift your left foot to cover the lever to shift down. With reverse shift, you hook up and use the peg as a pivot, which acts as an anchor preventing your body from surging forward.

Hartholomew Mamola

hAnG lOoSe,

Hartholomew Mamola

The REV Club

For riders, by riders, NOT SOME GREEDY F*CK OUT TO MAKE A BUCK

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/image.php?u=23316&dateline=1271137474&type=profile

i read tru the article on reverse shiftin too a while back.. and i agree while it provides advantages while ridin in a track.. it provides next to no use while ridin on the street.. and if one accidentally shifts wrongly while goin into a corner.. all i can say is.. :pray:

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/wayangxjr/contrast_siggy.jpg

Its more of rider's preferences.

Some may like it, some may not.

Caution do need to be exercised of course.

As I've said some time back before, downshifting accidentally at over 9K RPM is not fun at all.

But otherwise, I've only accidentally mis-shifted once and that was during the initial few days.

After that, it was quite ok. Have used reverse-shift on my TLR for over 2 years and now on my GSR for about 3 years.

easy to learn reverse(GP) shift...but harder to learn back standard shifts.

most racers around the world use reverse shift. alot easier to use when upshifting without clutch.

i think chris vermulen still uses standard shift.

Don't just break your laptimes, SHATTER them!!

Insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results - Albert Einstein, a German born theoretical physicist widely known as one of the greatest of all time

most racers around the world use reverse shift. alot easier to use when upshifting without clutch.

Not really that hard to learn back.

After several months on a reverse-shift pattern, my TLR had to be sent for servicing requiring 2 weeks stay at the shop. Had to use my dad's spare Phantom which has NO option for reverse shift (obviously).

Worked out ok.

As long as you know what ride you are on, I guess the subconcious mind knows what to do....

I did thought of using reverse shift when i get my new bike.

But there's one thing that scares me to not use reverse shift.

Imagine u're going into Turn 1 or Turn 6 at P.G, using reverse shift, u accidentally kick down instead of hooking up to lower 2 gears, and not having enough time to correct the problem, u have to start banking in, and u'll end up going wide.

Happen to anyone?

http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/625498_10151506336500777_489049580_n.jpg

Bikes Ridden & Riding Currently.

Yamaha YZF125 - 2001

Super 4 Spec II - 2002

Ducati S4 / Harley Softail - 2003

Ducati 999 / Ducati S4 / Harley Softail - 2006

Yamaha R1'09 / Ducati S4 / Harley Softail - 2009

+ Vespa LX150 - 2012

FJR1300A '13 / Vespa Lx150 / Ducati S4 / Harley Softail - 2013

bro wd do u mean by upshifting without clutch??wanna know more.tnx

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll189/omarmukthar/2.jpg

bro wd do u mean by upshifting without clutch??wanna know more.tnx

i think wat he meant was tat u can upshift the gears without clutching in the lever but do not try this when downshifting

Aprilia RS 125

Honda NSR 150SP

Honda CBR 400RRR

Suzuki GSXR 1000K4

KIA Cerato Forte 1.6SX

Mitsubishi Lancer EX 2.0GT

Yamaha YZF-R6 12

dun think u can down shift w/o clutching in. safety feature...

sometimes, in race, when we loose speed in corners, we do that....but also play with throttle..

eg...u in turn 3, ur normal rpm is 11k in corner...but somebody comes in messes up ur line, and maybe now rpm drop to 8k(loose corner speed). rather than blipping and dropping gear, which takes time....

just open throttle...and shut...and downshift without clutch..... open throttle..

at 8k rpm...the bike will feel slow...

Don't just break your laptimes, SHATTER them!!

Insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results - Albert Einstein, a German born theoretical physicist widely known as one of the greatest of all time