SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Esso vs Caltex vs Shell vs SPC

Wowww! Can see tat a lot of ppl here use 98. I use ESSO95 - best so far as it gives me 11% discount off a fuel card. :D

How time flies...

Big is certainly a warning but small can be downright scary! Never underestimate the effectiveness of small.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive only tried caltex Platinum and Shell V-power so far...

In my case, the Caltex gave me a lot of power straight out of the pump..I mean the feel..As for V-power, not as much feel as the Platinum but still ok...as for mileage, compare between the two, got slightly better mileage with the V-power...

I only pump Platinum once a month to clear up my engine of sludge and carbon deposits..

As for the rest of the time, i juz use Shell95...

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m420/Biomodified/biomodified.jpg

In Loving Memory: Muhammad Borhan Bin Jamal

A Cousin, A Friend, My Biking Mentor

Since the petrol price went haywire 1-2 years back, I switched from VPower straight to 95.

I dun see any difference in power nor mileage.

I am just a average joe who rides normally. I guess when we got a bike with enough pull, it does not really matter what you pump. Cos most of the time, we are using only like 20-40% of the throttle anyway. Maybe the notion of having a tank full of premium petrol makes us feel faster? haha...I guess the slight advantage offered is greatly offset by the price difference, at least to me.

This 'seat of the pants feeling', I dun know how accurate it is. But I've seen newspaper reports saying that the vast majority of cars runs well enough on the lowest grade of petrol. So i dun see the point of paying extra for what I dont need, esp in these times.

Hardcore

Planet Motorcycle Supporter:thumb:

Fair enough. But for bikes which tank is mostly around 10l, I'd say a premium of around $2 is worth it to last the entire week. If I don't spend this extra $2 on petrol, I'd spend it on somewhere else anyway (ie $5 chicken chop when I can eat $3 shredded chicken hor fun)

Since the petrol price went haywire 1-2 years back, I switched from VPower straight to 95.

I dun see any difference in power nor mileage.

I am just a average joe who rides normally. I guess when we got a bike with enough pull, it does not really matter what you pump. Cos most of the time, we are using only like 20-40% of the throttle anyway. Maybe the notion of having a tank full of premium petrol makes us feel faster? haha...I guess the slight advantage offered is greatly offset by the price difference, at least to me.

This 'seat of the pants feeling', I dun know how accurate it is. But I've seen newspaper reports saying that the vast majority of cars runs well enough on the lowest grade of petrol. So i dun see the point of paying extra for what I dont need, esp in these times.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2vj99ua.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff288/jinpwnsyou/Whack_a_kitty.gif

Hmm..im a fan of Caltex but once in a while i pump shell95 coz not many caltex station around esp my area.With caltex i can definitely feel my engine is smoother and slightly quieter than using 95..but mileage wise,shell95 last longer than caltex95..

havent tried using spc or esso though..

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HWBVwbg1umQ/SNOTq02HabI/AAAAAAAABnw/OvjSv-ropDg/s400/DSC_0011.jpg

BMW G450X *drooling*

ive tried esso 8000,caltex with tech, shell vpower and spc 98. esso seems to have better mileage. caltex kept my bike quiet when idleing compared to other fuels. spc 98 nothing special. vpower - which i always use maybe has lesser mileage than the other fuels . i use it cuz i usually change gear at 7k-9k rpm, its burns better at higher revS! :| during my full tank with caltex with tech, the pickup was quite weak though..i had to rev more when moving off cuz the rpm's seem to drop drastically. almost stalled a few times -__- wasnt used to it. vpower all the way!!

esso 5000 suits my honda sp best... =) its average....

MY MEAN MACHINES

01.2008 - 12.2009 - NSR150SP FT7**Z

12.2009 - 4.2011 - L.C. 135 FBE 11**C

4.2011 - 11.2013 - Super K.I.P.S FY 45** H

11.2013 - ?.??.???? - YZF - R6 FBD 33** C

12.2013 - ?.??.???? - Wave 125 FY 12** K

#RTNW

i usually pump caltex gold in jb...quite good i might say m valve used to be stucked b4 i pump caltex...so maybe it has cleaning effect...vpower quite powerful...less mileage...i tried esso2000,very smooth but no power...must try esso8000...

http://photos-p.friendster.com/photos/19/02/28602091/2_721059124l.jpg

2 Feb 09 --- Pass 2B (1st attempt)

14 Feb 09 -- NSR150 SP FT****L

• 3 weeks later...

Phantom TA200, 6yrs old.

I don't ride more than 110km/h, usually.

usual trip 10km

Tyre pressure

front 225

back 240

All data is based on my months of riding, often pump esso n caltex, depends on mood.

Esso 98 - good cos very quiet.

1. Minimal Vibration even @ 95km/h - 4.5/5

2. Poor Mileage 3/5 (30km/l)

3. poor Power/Pickup 3/5

4. High Rev @ Gear Change

Optimal gear without under power or over rev.

- G1: 0 - 20

- G2: 20 - 35

- G3: 40 - 50

- G4: 50 - 60

- G5: 60 - 70

- G6: 70 - 90

5. Jerk from half clutch @ Gear 1

Caltex 98

1. Vibration after 85km/h - 4/5

2. Avg Mileage 4/5 (35km/l)

3. good pickup so far the best 4/5

4. smooth gear change

Optimal speed at gear without under power or over rev.

- G1: 0 - 20

- G2: 15 - 40

- G3: 38 - 52

- G4: 50 - 65

- G5: 60 - 80

- G6: 70 - 85

conclusion, i feel caltex is nicer to my gear box while esso is nicer to the engine. i don't really care about mileage as long as i get a smooth ride... =)

gonna try out additives with esso 98. any recommendations?

Do what's right, not what you think is right. =)

alot of my frens review to me tat shell 95 performs better than 98.. and i tested.. i feel that way too lol.. anyone feels the same?

btw i caltex fan.. dont really like other stations... i feel more comfortable with caltex dono y.. haha

Lousy Noob Rider

hmmmz... i tot i was the only1 feeling that way... i tried caltex twice in my life... i cant remember which grade.. either the 5000 or 8000.... but i realised engine seem quieter...

currrently using esso depending on mood... gonna stack enuff points.. redeem my voucher den go for caltex.. =). .. milege dont noe.. just as bad...

Life is not the amount of breath u take, but the moments that take ur breath away.

It is not how hard you fall, its how fast you get up.

nsr150 : december 2004 - 16th March 07

S4 Vtec1 : March 2007 - March 2008

cbr1000rr '04 : March 2008 - June 2011

wave125 '03 : July 2009 - ????

• 4 weeks later...

esso 5000 not bad .. i can go like 145km/hr for my 7year phamton. but for 8000 its abt the same.. but slightly better for pick up.

As for V-power everything is the same as Esso 8000, the pick up, top speed and milege all abt the same. *35km / per litre

nvr try caltex and spc before, cos my area only shell and Esso . haha

Determination is the wake up call to the human will..

2006 - SP150

2007 - Phantom TA200

2013 - Yamaha R15

[/img]

i usually pump caltex gold in jb...quite good i might say m valve used to be stucked b4 i pump caltex...so maybe it has cleaning effect...vpower quite powerful...less mileage...i tried esso2000,very smooth but no power...must try esso8000...

yah.. 2000 no power at all. i feel the same way.. =/

Determination is the wake up call to the human will..

2006 - SP150

2007 - Phantom TA200

2013 - Yamaha R15

[/img]

• 3 weeks later...

smoothness- In singapore, caltex none other than techron..THE BEST

Best milege- Ess0 and spc gt fight

more power/pickup = SHELL LA V-POWER! = more money u$ed

Less brag More drag

2007- mid 2009 > Yamaha X1

2009-2011 > Yamaha 125z

2011- Present > CB400 SPEC3

shell for the power.

shell 98 and spc 98 can feel diff on my x1r.

mileage wise no significant difference.

haben try esso and caltex yet.

Be Safe & Wreckless

Sin Ming Editor 1 day jail, $2k fine for pillion death!

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5326937&posted=1#post5326937

So far been pumping mostly shell 98 since its near my house. Tried shell 95 b4 and the vibration damn strong bit irritating. V power really power la

Tried esso 98 b4 and for some reason wasnt tht smooth at all

Spc tried 95, pick up slow but ard gear 4 alrights

Havent tried caltex yet bcoz never seem to go by it

SP riders wat u feel is the best for us?? Dunno if it helps but i use Castrol gold R2 EO

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/7706/32618315064695358757195.jpg

FOund and Happy. A special thanks to Derek and *Edwin(xxes123) who found my baby.