SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Technical] Queries for TA200

sidek

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Bros, Do you guys have any idea what causes this sound ?

sounds like the cam chain.. my changes according to the weather.. hotter it is the fiercer it sounds.. also when im running real hot/lean.

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

hi guys

another question, i just changed both sprocket and chain on my ta200 early this year jan. now i find my chain becoming longer and im already at my limit of pushing back my rear tire. is it possible to shorten the length of my chain at the bike shop? when i changed during jan @ planet ah chong said its not possible to shorten but just to be sure this time, i tot i would post the Q here for you senior to check it out.

Hi, bro oldcat5000. Looking at your descriptions, both your chain and sprockets are wearing out to their limits. While shortening the chain will buy you some time, perhaps a few weeks more, it comes at a very high and real risk of your chain either snapping or slipping off your sprockets or your sprockets teeth completely wearing out.

The following tips might help to achieve longer chain and sprocket lifespan. Change to OEM steel sprockets or something equivalent. Use a good chain, at least an O-ring chain. Regularly lubricate your chain. Keep your chain correctly tensioned.

Just my 2 cents.

Ride fast but safe... Skills matters most... the slow ONE... I WAS TOO SLOW at 1min 50.9sec :D

Past rides: Quite a few and different types

erm, has anyone faced an issue where your bike is in neutral but the starter motor wont crank unless you clutch in?

it's a random on off issue for me.

also, does anyone know where the clutch switch diode is located on the ta200? =X

Edited by sawfly

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

Hi Bros, Do you guys have any idea what causes this sound ?

confirm cam chain tensioner.

erm, has anyone faced an issue where your bike is in neutral but the starter motor wont crank unless you clutch in?

it's a random on off issue for me.

also, does anyone know where the clutch switch diode is located on the ta200? =X

i dont tink its the clutch switch. could be ur neutral sensor. is ur green neutral light always on? if its the issue, thats why u have to clutch in. cux mine went bonkers one day and had to clutch in to start. opened up the sprocket cover and saw the wire to the sensor was dangling. connected it back and all was well.

A ride a day, keeps the doctor away!

:thumb:

2010-2012 : Honda Phantom TA200

2012-current : SYM Maxsym 400i

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/adiknaim

SG Maxsym FB Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/sgmaxsym/

after 2 years of maintaining well the chain. Tighten only twice. as im using ezzyoiler since then..

Guess what.. the rear Rim is damaged and needs to be replace. alakmak. Due to the poor design of our Bike with both and front and rear bearings exposed.

so guys. do remember to replace your Bearings once in 2 years at least. Save your Rim at least. lol...

Hi, bro oldcat5000. Looking at your descriptions, both your chain and sprockets are wearing out to their limits. While shortening the chain will buy you some time, perhaps a few weeks more, it comes at a very high and real risk of your chain either snapping or slipping off your sprockets or your sprockets teeth completely wearing out.

The following tips might help to achieve longer chain and sprocket lifespan. Change to OEM steel sprockets or something equivalent. Use a good chain, at least an O-ring chain. Regularly lubricate your chain. Keep your chain correctly tensioned.

Just my 2 cents.

JOSHUA

class2B -26/2/09

class 2A -27/7/10

class 3 - 6/1/11

class 2 - 30/8/12

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad44/jtzx/Image0020_JROT42b4_edited.gif?t=1246004022

Thnx Bro, I read your DIY thread. It seems not too difficult to change the cam chain tensioner.

Do you have any idea where I can get the part at Jurong Area ?

Not advisable to get it frm bike shop. They would hv hiked the price. Usually w/ labour. If diy, get frm supplier like fjt or eversuccess.

confirm cam chain tensioner.

i dont tink its the clutch switch. could be ur neutral sensor. is ur green neutral light always on? if its the issue, thats why u have to clutch in. cux mine went bonkers one day and had to clutch in to start. opened up the sprocket cover and saw the wire to the sensor was dangling. connected it back and all was well.

nope, my neutral light operates normally and i always check that i stop in neutral. despite so i still hv to clutch in randomly sometimes.

i opened up my sprocket cover and found 2 wired areas.

is this the one you are referring to? it was connected though the wire looked a lil pinched.

20130531_221800.jpg

anyway i found two diodes.. they were hidden behind the left chrome cover opposite the rectifer! i didnt test cos there were 2 .. probably only when i have more time -_-

Yeah thats the one. Then could be ur clutch switch or maybe some connection somewhere. I also found the wire harness thr but nv knw wat they were for. LOL. But wen i got the bike, my IU was tapped from there.

Yeah thats the one. Then could be ur clutch switch or maybe some connection somewhere. I also found the wire harness thr but nv knw wat they were for. LOL. But wen i got the bike, my IU was tapped from there.

lol i think ill just see how and check the diodes later once i buy a new multimeter to test continuity loh.

i also wiped up that wired metal ring that was hooking on to the neutral switch... maybe too much bitumen from the chain affecting the conductivity..

so far its all good for the moment so hopefully its all fine after that!

Yah last tym i also just spray contact cleaner on that sensor once in awhile. No issues after that. That area gets rly dirty frm chain lube all.

Yah last tym i also just spray contact cleaner on that sensor once in awhile. No issues after that. That area gets rly dirty frm chain lube all.

contact cleaner is a good idea! think ill spam IPA on that area!

Hi, any idea how much changing of a new oil pump cost ?

Dont mind me asking but what oil pump you are referring to? The one in the crankcase is the only one I can think of. .

Sent from my GT-I9300

Yes I suppose so... Yesterday i finally went to find a mechanic and he told me my oil pump is most probably damaged and the piston is jammed... ?He also told me they dont carry oil pump for phantom and that's I asked before traveling down to Ubi to get it overhauled and all..

Dont mind me asking but what oil pump you are referring to? The one in the crankcase is the only one I can think of. .

Sent from my GT-I9300

Yes I suppose so... Yesterday i finally went to find a mechanic and he told me my oil pump is most probably damaged and the piston is jammed... ?He also told me they dont carry oil pump for phantom and that's I asked before traveling down to Ubi to get it overhauled and all..

not too sure man.. sorry cant help =C but its a trochoid pump and on ebay it doesnt look that expensive compared to a top end overhaul..

good luck for your overhaul though.. maybe u can call the different shops and ask?

not too sure man.. sorry cant help =C but its a trochoid pump and on ebay it doesnt look that expensive compared to a top end overhaul..

good luck for your overhaul though.. maybe u can call the different shops and ask?

even at higher gears on the road but low gears (1 to 2) also will die. Gear change, close then open throttle, for no reason, it just died.

But my phantom is quite old >10 years. This is quite embarassing, riding half-way on road suddenly engine just dies. :cry:

Thanks for any advice.

even at higher gears on the road but low gears (1 to 2) also will die. Gear change, close then open throttle, for no reason, it just died.

But my phantom is quite old >10 years. This is quite embarassing, riding half-way on road suddenly engine just dies. :cry:

Thanks for any advice.

Hi, bro Funky.

Might i ask you to give us more background information on your situation?

How long has it been since you last serviced your motorcycle? Air filter, spark plug, carburettor, etc... ? Any modifications done? Any recent maintenance done?

Your engine dies, on what ocassion? Any other details? How many times have you encountered it? Any other problems beside this?

Ride fast but safe... Skills matters most... the slow ONE... I WAS TOO SLOW at 1min 50.9sec :D

Hi, bro Funky.

Might i ask you to give us more background information on your situation?

How long has it been since you last serviced your motorcycle? Air filter, spark plug, carburettor, etc... ? Any modifications done? Any recent maintenance done?

Your engine dies, on what ocassion? Any other details? How many times have you encountered it? Any other problems beside this?

I service my motorcycle regularly for oil change. Spark plug and air filter usually change myself. No modifications. Problem started immediately after I changed my starter carbon. I wonder could it be because the carbon brush is bland new so the contact point is not as tight. Maybe give it a while, things will improve, yeah? :confused:

I service my motorcycle regularly for oil change. Spark plug and air filter usually change myself. No modifications. Problem started immediately after I changed my starter carbon. I wonder could it be because the carbon brush is bland new so the contact point is not as tight. Maybe give it a while, things will improve, yeah? :confused:

Hi, bro Funky.

The starter carbon, is a contact point, in your starter motor, which is only in use when you crank your engine. It doesn't interrupt your normal engine running.

There are many factors that might contribute to your situation.

1. Carb needs servicing

2. The small black tubes connected to the carb is leaking

3. Your spark plug cap might be defective or bad connection

4. Your plug coil might be defective or bad connection

5. Your engine kill switch might be defective or bad connection

Any of the above might be a factor, or maybe many other more faults. Bros, please comment.

Hi, bro Funky.

The starter carbon, is a contact point, in your starter motor, which is only in use when you crank your engine. It doesn't interrupt your normal engine running.

There are many factors that might contribute to your situation.

1. Carb needs servicing

2. The small black tubes connected to the carb is leaking

3. Your spark plug cap might be defective or bad connection

4. Your plug coil might be defective or bad connection

5. Your engine kill switch might be defective or bad connection

Any of the above might be a factor, or maybe many other more faults. Bros, please comment.

Thanks bro reaper_y, I sure can learn a lot from you. :clap:

I am still monitoring the situation....the major connection here seems to be it happens whenever I am opening my throttle so it could be the carburetor (I thought the other causes would imply random death of the engine?). After a few days, the occurrences of engine dying is reducing (or maybe I am beginning to get used to it). I suspect it is the air/fuel mixture and if it continues for a week or 2 (changed starter carbon on 4/6) I am getting the carb inspected by Ah Chong liao. Sigh.

Just one last question, do you know the relationship between the starter and the carb? As it seems all this started after changing my starter carbon. Thanks a lot bro! :cheeky:

Thanks bro reaper_y, I sure can learn a lot from you. :clap:

I am still monitoring the situation....the major connection here seems to be it happens whenever I am opening my throttle so it could be the carburetor (I thought the other causes would imply random death of the engine?). After a few days, the occurrences of engine dying is reducing (or maybe I am beginning to get used to it). I suspect it is the air/fuel mixture and if it continues for a week or 2 (changed starter carbon on 4/6) I am getting the carb inspected by Ah Chong liao. Sigh.

Just one last question, do you know the relationship between the starter and the carb? As it seems all this started after changing my starter carbon. Thanks a lot bro! :cheeky:

hi funky, just want to add on that other than those mentioned by reaper, im guessing the carb could be the major issue.

also, is your idle setting too low?

recently the weather had been quite extreme from day to night (from very hot to very cold) and its starting to play tricks on my bike performance/carb as well so it mignt be a coincidence with your starter carbon replacement.

from what i understand, the starter carbon is a brush in the starter motor provides conductivity and runs the motor to crank the engine during bike starting.. its an electrical component so it should not be related to the air or fuel circuit e.g. your carb.. did u service anything else after changing the carbon?