SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Technical] Queries for TA200

sidek

hi funky, just want to add on that other than those mentioned by reaper, im guessing the carb could be the major issue.

also, is your idle setting too low?

recently the weather had been quite extreme from day to night (from very hot to very cold) and its starting to play tricks on my bike performance/carb as well so it mignt be a coincidence with your starter carbon replacement.

from what i understand, the starter carbon is a brush in the starter motor provides conductivity and runs the motor to crank the engine during bike starting.. its an electrical component so it should not be related to the air or fuel circuit e.g. your carb.. did u service anything else after changing the carbon?

Thanks for the explanation, sawfly. I didn't service anything after changing carbon. But problem is still there....looks like need to go visit Dr Chong liao. Keep you posted on the outcome. Thanks alot, bro sawfly and reaper_y!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the explanation, sawfly. I didn't service anything after changing carbon. But problem is still there....looks like need to go visit Dr Chong liao. Keep you posted on the outcome. Thanks alot, bro sawfly and reaper_y!

no prob! hope your problem gets solved soon! =D

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

hi ,

anyone knows what to check for when i have the problem of intermittently not able to start up my ta200 and also i have changed the battery with the same problem

anyone knows which bike shop in amk that is good in doing phantom and the persons name ??

thanks !

jeremy aka lanman

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/lanmansg/fsc/bost-10-1123936846.gif

Game StarT

how to be a "small man to a "BIG MAN"???

Hi Bros, Do you guys have any idea what causes this sound ?

It's the tensioner wear off liao. Go and change around $70+ only.

Hi Bros, Do you guys have any idea what causes this sound ?

Hi, bro oldcat5000. Looking at your descriptions, both your chain and sprockets are wearing out to their limits. While shortening the chain will buy you some time, perhaps a few weeks more, it comes at a very high and real risk of your chain either snapping or slipping off your sprockets or your sprockets teeth completely wearing out.

The following tips might help to achieve longer chain and sprocket lifespan. Change to OEM steel sprockets or something equivalent. Use a good chain, at least an O-ring chain. Regularly lubricate your chain. Keep your chain correctly tensioned.

Just my 2 cents.

I second Reaper's recommendations to get a new set.

But a question.

Did you oil your chains regularly? :confused:

Chains will wear off very quickly if they are not maintained.

But they will last a long time if properly maintained.

I am still using the same chains after 4 years.

Can get an ezzy oiler if you are lazy to oil manually. :)

Motorcyclist are the nicest people on the road, try not to kill us.

hi ,

anyone knows what to check for when i have the problem of intermittently not able to start up my ta200 and also i have changed the battery with the same problem

anyone knows which bike shop in amk that is good in doing phantom and the persons name ??

thanks !

maybe u can run through this..

- is the battery charged even though u change battery? open throttle with voltmeter to battery terminal.. if not maybe rectifier or charging system got problem

- if batt/charging is fine, can crank using the starter motor?

- got consistant spark? crank engine with spark plug out and connected to spark plug cable

- pull choke and crank? maybe engine too cold

- for me sometimes cok weather issue - open slight throttle and crank.. works for me.. but dunno if its idle too low

- if clutch switch or neutral switch issue as mentioned by naim, clutch in and crank.. confirm plus chop will start

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

Hi All PK peeps!

I just got my Phantom TA200 today!

Am a noobie so I got from bike shop hoping that I won't get chopped big time..

Anyway, my ride is a 2nd Gen Phantom and I ask the mechanic why does it not have the reserve tank or even the engine stop switch, he mentioned that 2nd Gen doesn't have those 2 that I mentioned.. And the seller told me that the bike does not come with an owner's manual cause the ex-owner took it.. so I searched online and managed to find 2 PDF copies of Shadow TA200 but it was the older generation type with the ignition switch on the port side. The soft copy manual showed the reserve tank fuel cock and also the engine stop switch however since it is the manual for the older TA200, I can't seem to find the later generation's owner manual. Thus, I would like to check with you all friendly peeps whether it is true that the later generation Phantoms' does not have the 2 items mentioned above.

Thanks guys :D

Emmanuel

Hi All PK peeps!

I just got my Phantom TA200 today!

Am a noobie so I got from bike shop hoping that I won't get chopped big time..

Anyway, my ride is a 2nd Gen Phantom and I ask the mechanic why does it not have the reserve tank or even the engine stop switch, he mentioned that 2nd Gen doesn't have those 2 that I mentioned.. And the seller told me that the bike does not come with an owner's manual cause the ex-owner took it.. so I searched online and managed to find 2 PDF copies of Shadow TA200 but it was the older generation type with the ignition switch on the port side. The soft copy manual showed the reserve tank fuel cock and also the engine stop switch however since it is the manual for the older TA200, I can't seem to find the later generation's owner manual. Thus, I would like to check with you all friendly peeps whether it is true that the later generation Phantoms' does not have the 2 items mentioned above.

Thanks guys :D

Emmanuel

hi emmnauel! welcome! i think @Spark_135 can answer your question on this.. think he rides the newer version one with the low fuel indicator light..

if u worried maybe post image of yr handle bar controls to be sure?

i not too sure abt the reserve part since there is a low fuel light.. but engine kill switch seems to be a common safety switch not to dont have..

Hi sawfly.

Thanks for the reply. o.O nice. Today while riding on the express way, my speedometer and odometer just suddenly stopped functioning. Gave me a scare. I thought my bike was failing me on the highway hahaha. Thankfully I rode to the place I bought it from and they fixed it for me :D

Now still trying to get used to the handle bars. I feel it's quite bad ergonomics for my wrist for long term riding.

And I wanted the 2nd Gen cause of the low fuel light indicator hahaha. I don't think I will consciously remember when then I should re-fill my fuel tank so best if I can have some form of indication hehe.

Hmmm, I asked the mechanic what sort of checks should I do. He mentioned just to check engine oil, or rather every 1000km change oil then every 3 times change spark plug together with it.

I asked about the brake fluid and others but was told not to worry. I guess Phantom TA200 being a 4 stroke bike is easy to maintain eh :)

Hi sawfly.

Thanks for the reply. o.O nice. Today while riding on the express way, my speedometer and odometer just suddenly stopped functioning. Gave me a scare. I thought my bike was failing me on the highway hahaha. Thankfully I rode to the place I bought it from and they fixed it for me :D

Now still trying to get used to the handle bars. I feel it's quite bad ergonomics for my wrist for long term riding.

And I wanted the 2nd Gen cause of the low fuel light indicator hahaha. I don't think I will consciously remember when then I should re-fill my fuel tank so best if I can have some form of indication hehe.

Hmmm, I asked the mechanic what sort of checks should I do. He mentioned just to check engine oil, or rather every 1000km change oil then every 3 times change spark plug together with it.

I asked about the brake fluid and others but was told not to worry. I guess Phantom TA200 being a 4 stroke bike is easy to maintain eh :)

imo i think 1000 is too soon.. alot of ppl actually recommend 2000-3000km then change eo.. i myself change every 1500 for the peace of mind.. i hope u nvr get carrot.. =X

i think the other checks u should make regularly is the lights, tyre pressure, drive chain freeplay and the brake pads especially..

the engine oil i recommend that check weekly as ta200 known to consume quite a bit of EO.. my father's mechanic friend calls it "a troublesome bike to service" actually despite me finding it easy to maintain except for the reguilar eo dipstik checks =X

for the brake fluid unless u feel that the breaking is too spongy or the fluid color change until quite bad then u should change and bleed the lines.. the brake fluid will absorb water over time.. if you do not take care of the that then the brake pump or master cylinder will clog up or rust loh..

Hi sawfly.

Hi, EmmanuelLin.

Yes, as bro Sawfly mentions, 1000km is too soon to change engine oil, unless you use the lowest grade mineral engine oil and rides all the way with maximum throttle. How often you change engine oil will partly depends on what type and grade of engine oil you use or how you ride your motorcycle.

In my case, I change engine oil at every 5000km. I ride mostly at 90% to 95% of the motorcycle's throttle. I check my engine oil weekly and top up if necessary. I'm using Silkolene Comp 4T 15w50. Over the years, of trying and testing, of various brands and grades of engine oil, on various motorcycles, personally, I will prefer engine oils with ester compounds. Why? We can discuss on that if we meet up.

As for your spark plug. Actually, if it is not burnt out or spoilt, you will only need to check the spark plug tip clearance. It can be 'adjusted'. I have actually used standard spark plugs in excess of 2 years and they are still working fine.

As to how I ride, maybe, my bro Silent Hunter can attest to that. Hehehe.

As to how often you change your brake fluid, bro Sawfly is correct. Mostly, it should be changed after 1 to 2 years. But that will also partly depends on the grade and type of brake fluid used.

For your handlebar position, your standard handlebar can be adjusted, to a slight degree, to your desired comfort level. Minor economical modifications can also be done to help you in this area. If you wish, can also meet up with some members here, so that we may better help you.

All the above is just my 2 cents worth of opinions. Please comment. Thank you.

Ride fast but safe... Skills matters most... the slow ONE... I WAS TOO SLOW at 1min 50.9sec :D

Past rides: Quite a few and different types

Hmmm.. my brake fluid blacked out leh the box. cant see anything lol. And oops i think the mechanic mentioned 2000km not 1000km :p my bad.

I'm lost at the grades of engine oil ester compounds etc. hahahaha.

My handlebar kept slipping off then the mechanic put glue and put back but now still slipping off. irritating when ride then have to push back hahaha.

Today, I heard a few loud explosions from the exhaust (i dragged the gears unintentionally) and my friend said it could be due to backfire. I hope it isnt anything serious.

Anyway thanks for the replies guys! :)

Hmmm.. my brake fluid blacked out leh the box. cant see anything lol. And oops i think the mechanic mentioned 2000km not 1000km :p my bad.

I'm lost at the grades of engine oil ester compounds etc. hahahaha.

My handlebar kept slipping off then the mechanic put glue and put back but now still slipping off. irritating when ride then have to push back hahaha.

Today, I heard a few loud explosions from the exhaust (i dragged the gears unintentionally) and my friend said it could be due to backfire. I hope it isnt anything serious.

Anyway thanks for the replies guys! :)

Bro EmmanuelLin, from your descriptions, i think you meant, handle grip, using glue to secure it in place.

Backfire from sudden deceleration is common but it wouldn't hurt to service and tune your carb.

Ride fast but safe... Skills matters most... the slow ONE... I WAS TOO SLOW at 1min 50.9sec :D

Past rides: Quite a few and different types

Bro EmmanuelLin, from your descriptions, i think you meant, handle grip, using glue to secure it in place.

Backfire from sudden deceleration is common but it wouldn't hurt to service and tune your carb.

oh ya. Handle grips not handle bar hahaha,

o.O icic. ok! will info the mechanic when i have to bring for servicing!

Just to update bro sawfly and reaper_y, I got the carb washed and the engine is definitely more responsive, idling is noticeably faster and the engine dying is gone. :cheers:

Suspect a dirty carb can slow down the idling speed of the engine and kill engine upon throttle hard.....this is just my suspicion....i am no mechanic but at least problem solved. Thanks to all for the helpful advice! :clap:

Hahahaha!!!! :lol:

The moment you bought a bike from a bike shop you already kena chopped, just a matter of chop deep or chop shallow.

I don't mind getting chop shallow if the bike is in good condition, but some bikes just can't make it!

I remember seeing a TA200 priced at $6,000 chain rusty, tire bald and have rust spots all over, meter at 80,000km + at a motor tiam!

Engine oil

Change engine oil every 2,000km.

Engine oil kena eaten depends on bike condition.

Screwed up condition eat more. Bike like mine, don't eat engine oil or too little to be notice, no need to top up.

Spark plug

My spark plug colour on the tip is light brown. ie: Perfectly tuned.

Change only once every other year.

Riding position

Hand grip position not happy can adjust or change handbars.

If throttle rubber loosen until "Bei Ta Han" change lah. $10-$20 only.

Motorcyclist are the nicest people on the road, try not to kill us.

Hahahaha!!!! :lol:

The moment you bought a bike from a bike shop you already kena chopped, just a matter of chop deep or chop shallow.

I don't mind getting chop shallow if the bike is in good condition, but some bikes just can't make it!

I remember seeing a TA200 priced at $6,000 chain rusty, tire bald and have rust spots all over, meter at 80,000km + at a motor tiam!

Engine oil

Change engine oil every 2,000km.

Engine oil kena eaten depends on bike condition.

Screwed up condition eat more. Bike like mine, don't eat engine oil or too little to be notice, no need to top up.

Spark plug

My spark plug colour on the tip is light brown. ie: Perfectly tuned.

Change only once every other year.

Riding position

Hand grip position not happy can adjust or change handbars.

If throttle rubber loosen until "Bei Ta Han" change lah. $10-$20 only.

Hi, yeah my friends who ride also told me that actually motorshops know how to hide the defective parts well so sure tio chop 1. Oh well.

Ok think I will follow ya'all advice at changing EO every 2000km. Hmmm. Spark plug change

Lol ohh $10-$20 only ah hahaha.. see how. Thankfully its only the left hand grip that keeps slipping out.

Hi, yeah my friends who ride also told me that actually motorshops know how to hide the defective parts well so sure tio chop 1. Oh well.

Ok think I will follow ya'all advice at changing EO every 2000km. Hmmm. Spark plug change

Lol ohh $10-$20 only ah hahaha.. see how. Thankfully its only the left hand grip that keeps slipping out.

lol spark plug not very expensive la.. i cant remb how much but if u are going to change every 3 EO change its going to be few months once it shouldnt create a big lobang in your pocket.. (based on my 270 km per week )

regarding your brake fluid, i noticed quite a few phantoms the brake fluid window not clear anymore for you to inspect.

you can just open the cover with a philips screwdriver.. just make sure you seal back properly after checking!

the backfires shouldnt be too often, if too often recommend that you go for a check up - indicates a carb issue. i not too sure if a regular backfire in the exhaust will cause bigger issues. an over-lean situation can cause overheating though.

Just to update bro sawfly and reaper_y, I got the carb washed and the engine is definitely more responsive, idling is noticeably faster and the engine dying is gone. :cheers:

Suspect a dirty carb can slow down the idling speed of the engine and kill engine upon throttle hard.....this is just my suspicion....i am no mechanic but at least problem solved. Thanks to all for the helpful advice! :clap:

good to hear yr problem solved! where you serviced your carb ar? i've been trying to drag my ass out to get it serviced but im always too lazy or occupied by work on weekends =X

lol spark plug not very expensive la.. i cant remb how much but if u are going to change every 3 EO change its going to be few months once it shouldnt create a big lobang in your pocket.. (based on my 270 km per week )

regarding your brake fluid, i noticed quite a few phantoms the brake fluid window not clear anymore for you to inspect.

you can just open the cover with a philips screwdriver.. just make sure you seal back properly after checking!

the backfires shouldnt be too often, if too often recommend that you go for a check up - indicates a carb issue. i not too sure if a regular backfire in the exhaust will cause bigger issues. an over-lean situation can cause overheating though.

good to hear yr problem solved! where you serviced your carb ar? i've been trying to drag my ass out to get it serviced but im always too lazy or occupied by work on weekends =X

I also too lazy to go to Ah Chong, just went to this shop near Alexandra Village/Bukit Merah.....think it is called Seng Motor. Cheers.

does any one have experience / tips or suggestion on how to splice in an additional brake light?

bought from ebay some f1 style brake light but hvnt got to attach it on in months!

Hi I'm a new phantom knight here and I'm seeing oil patches whenever I return to my bike, mostly just a very small patch.

Is this the engine oil leaking? I checked the engine oil level it's still at the correct level.

And recently or just today my engine sound tend to be sharper than usual, what could be the cause?

Honda Phantom TA200 2013-2016

Yamaha RXZ 2016~Current

Ducati Monster 821 Dark Stealth 2016~current

Hi I'm a new phantom knight here and I'm seeing oil patches whenever I return to my bike, mostly just a very small patch.

Is this the engine oil leaking? I checked the engine oil level it's still at the correct level.

And recently or just today my engine sound tend to be sharper than usual, what could be the cause?

hi bobokw! im not too sure if the engine sound is variable due to EO loss or not in your case, but to verify if EO is indeed leaking from your crankcase:

1. park on newspaper (and hope it doesnt rain the next day; im hoping it will rain cos the haze is madness)

2. wipe the base of your bike - crank case and all the covers dry and make sure no oil stains.

if its indeed leaking that way you will be able to see the source of the oil, EO or not.

anyway its possible that your EO drain plug is not tightened sufficiently. (if so dont go over torque/tighten the drain plug!!)