SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Honda ST1100

Simon Soh

hi fellow riders,

is it alright/safe for other bikes to overtake on your extreme right ,when your are already on the most right side of a expressway?pls contribute ,thanks & cheers.

Bro,

Eventhough you are on the right, check your mirrors time and again for any cars or riders coming towards you. Try to let them them pass.

Thomas28

STOC#5870

FBB5423X

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi fellow riders,

is it alright/safe for other bikes to overtake on your extreme right ,when your are already on the most right side of a expressway?pls contribute ,thanks & cheers.

Agree with Thomas28.:thumb: We do our part to be safe on the road then be sorry.:cry:

As a rule of thumb, never overtake a bike or car on their right on the extreme right lane.

Cheers!

S-Line

STOC#7567

BUFFERING: Give yourself space. People driving cars often just don’t see motorcycles. Even when drivers do see you, chances are they’ve never been on a motorcycle and can’t properly judge your speed.

how much the cost for front brake pads n rear pads..?

heheh sorry a silly question...as i am new also with my baby ST...anyone seeing me on red ST, alert me okay...

azary1111

Should set you back about plus minus $60 for alll. Best is have your callipers serviced and replaced the brake fluid at the same time as part of your maintainence schedule.

they have red ones for fire brigade, white for traffic police and black (actually dark gray) for VIP bodyguards. I personally chatted with a few of them before while in KL last year.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/4692/dscf0575.jpg[/url]

Wow!! how come the dashboard is different from other STX's?

http://i3.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/draft_lens5271672module39663012photo_12448116942008-BMW-R1200GS-Adventureb-small.jpg

What's an ADVENTURE??

EVERYTHING!!

Hi bro's,

One of my colleague bike stx stalls while waiting for green light at bb traffic light.chk with bike shop.claims that alternator faulty and cost $920 to get chg.

Base and u guys expertise,how long does the alternator will last?his stx just 2 years old.what the exact cost to rpl alternator?

Appreciate ur advice.

Hi all

lately when i turn my throatter there is a sudden lost of power, but i only went to my mech two days later. He told me one of the spark plug got 'eaten up' and burn. The bike was actually working on 3 plugs.

He changes all the spark plug for me and the bike runs well now. My mech then recommended me to wash & tune my carb and change the needles to prevent 'eating of spark plug' again and the total cost will be about $250. Will wish to check all all the ST riders here, is it necessary to wash carb and change the needle?

was also thinking of changing my timing belt, and my mech quote me $600 and told me he will change alots of thing like water pump will also be change.

My ride is FS XXXX and PE version.

Lastly I got a original ST wind shield and back rest (the zip spoilt but can be repair) for sales. Do PM me to offer. Thanks for all the help in advance.

Hi bro's,

One of my colleague bike stx stalls while waiting for green light at bb traffic light.chk with bike shop.claims that alternator faulty and cost $920 to get chg.

Base and u guys expertise,how long does the alternator will last?his stx just 2 years old.what the exact cost to rpl alternator?

Appreciate ur advice.

hi bro,

alternator can be recoil,will last maybe a few more years.meng tong @ mah motor got lobang.cheers, hope this helps.

Hi bro's,

Appreciate ur advice.

Its quite rare to hear alternator breaking down on a 2 year old Stx. Even an st11 alternator/recitifier can last for a couple of years or even more. Better get the bike check for other related problems that may caused the alternator to fail. A faulty battery can deplete the life of the alternator set faster and its always best to invest in voltmeter for tracking the voltage of the battery. Price differs in replacing our tourers as it involves more on the part and labour in removing involved the alternator.

Hi all

lately when i turn my throatter there is a sudden lost of power, but i only went to my mech two days later. He told me one of the spark plug got 'eaten up' and burn. The bike was actually working on 3 plugs.

He changes all the spark plug for me and the bike runs well now. My mech then recommended me to wash & tune my carb and change the needles to prevent 'eating of spark plug' again and the total cost will be about $250. Will wish to check all all the ST riders here, is it necessary to wash carb and change the needle?

was also thinking of changing my timing belt, and my mech quote me $600 and told me he will change alots of thing like water pump will also be change.

My ride is FS XXXX and PE version.

Lastly I got a original ST wind shield and back rest (the zip spoilt but can be repair) for sales. Do PM me to offer. Thanks for all the help in advance.

With all riders who have got a 2nd hand St11 and have no track records of their rides maintenance, its best to have somethings check and serviced to save future troubles....

Replacing of belting and water pump will be somewhere within the range. Its not an easy task to change the belting as lot of labour involved hence maybe the price. Water pump and belting can be replaced together as it involved similar area.

Perhaps the next round you may want to have your coolant check and replaced the coolant hoses underneath your carb. Its a nightmare if it starts to leak. As a guide your temp should not go beyong the half mark. Loss of coolant and overheat engine can cause serious damage to the pistons.Advise to change all hoses at one go cause if one hose starts to crack that means the rest may give way soon.

Servicng of carburettor is advisable as part of the service. You may refer below list for reference:

Spark plugs , EO, filters

Brake callipers/ brake pads and fluid

Coolant system, hoses (about 6+/-) , flushing and water pump

Service carburettor, tune and check any cracks in float bowl / fuel pump & fuel filter

Battery lifespan(check any bloatedness). Replaced if any uneven surfaces found or poor condition.

Spare fuses /starter relay

Alternator set

Edited by cbkooky

Its quite rare to hear alternator breaking down on a 2 year old Stx. Even an st11 alternator/recitifier can last for a couple of years or even more. Better get the bike check for other related problems that may caused the alternator to fail. A faulty battery can deplete the life of the alternator set faster and its always best to invest in voltmeter for tracking the voltage of the battery. Price differs in replacing our tourers as it involves more on the part and labour in removing involved the alternator.

As for temporary measurement bike shop install a switch to bypass headlight

as stx when ignition key on headlight will light up too which will drain some voltage and affecting voltage to motor for starting,but don't know how true does this help on starting and extend batt/alternator lifetime.

As for temporary measurement bike shop install a switch to bypass headlight

as stx when ignition key on headlight will light up too which will drain some voltage and affecting voltage to motor for starting,but don't know how true does this help on starting and extend batt/alternator lifetime.

Yes. It helps since the bike will need more power to crank with the headlight on. But if the alternator is really faulty, it will not help much except to have it change. I am not surprised if the alternator set may set u back about $600 before labour charges.

Hi bro's,

Appreciate ur advice.

Is there any fault code? (FI blinking)

The other way to know whether the alternator is faulty is check is there any power output from the alternator.

If your friend gonna change a new alternator instead giving the old alternator to the bike shop can give it to me. Thanks in advance.

As for headlight switch is good to have. But I notice 1 thing is that whenever we push the start button the headlight will off and once I let go the start button it light up again. is it there a relay that temp. off the headlight when we push the start button and "ON" back once we release the button.

Is there any fault code? (FI blinking)

The other way to know whether the alternator is faulty is check is there any power output from the alternator.

If your friend gonna change a new alternator instead giving the old alternator to the bike shop can give it to me. Thanks in advance.

As for headlight switch is good to have. But I notice 1 thing is that whenever we push the start button the headlight will off and once I let go the start button it light up again. is it there a relay that temp. off the headlight when we push the start button and "ON" back once we release the button.

Do you mean the headlight totally OFF then ON again when u released the start button? Something not right with your sentences.. I do not experience headlight off when start but the light may be slightly dimmer when cranking the bike.

Do you mean the headlight totally OFF then ON again when u released the start button? Something not right with your sentences.. I do not experience headlight off when start but the light may be slightly dimmer when cranking the bike.

Bro,

There is a wiring, or setting on the bike when you press the start button on the bike and crank the engine, the headlight will be off for a while when you crank so as to conserve the battery power and the headlight will be on again after the bike start. You will not notice it if you are not alert. .

Anyway, as for the bike stop when waiting at the traffic light, are you sure it is the alternator faulty? Anyway, like what AMEN23 said, is there a fault code on the FI which we can reference to?

Cause in Singapore, there was a few cases of the bike able to start and then die off while travelling halfway. So, if no fault code on the FI, very difficult to determine the cause of the fault.

For your info, I have also experienced the bike die half way on the road, but it was a different bike. But the principle is the same. Mechanic found out that the rectifier was faulty. Therefore, conclusion is the mechanic/shop might be out to kill you, when they claimed that the alternator was faulty. As, it is more convenient to change the whole alternator then to take out the alternator, take out the rectifier and then fix the alternator back again.

My 2 cents

Thomas28

STOC#5870

FBB5423X

Bro,

There is a wiring, or setting on the bike when you press the start button on the bike and crank the engine, the headlight will be off for a while when you crank so as to conserve the battery power and the headlight will be on again after the bike start. You will not notice it if you are not alert. .

Anyway, as for the bike stop when waiting at the traffic light, are you sure it is the alternator faulty? Anyway, like what AMEN23 said, is there a fault code on the FI which we can reference to?

Cause in Singapore, there was a few cases of the bike able to start and then die off while travelling halfway. So, if no fault code on the FI, very difficult to determine the cause of the fault.

For your info, I have also experienced the bike die half way on the road, but it was a different bike. But the principle is the same. Mechanic found out that the rectifier was faulty. Therefore, conclusion is the mechanic/shop might be out to kill you, when they claimed that the alternator was faulty. As, it is more convenient to change the whole alternator then to take out the alternator, take out the rectifier and then fix the alternator back again.

My 2 cents

Err..its not my bike that is having problem but ramen71 friend. I agree with Amen23 there should be an FI code too if the bike show some signs of trouble. My previous st had similar trouble and I had to have a brand new alternator replaced and the bike response and electrical system was very much better after that.. For PE version you have to replaced the whole set . I agree with you that its more convenient to replace the whole alternator than to take out the rectifier and reinstall it again as its labour intensive.

Interested to get a STX,but saw article about the Pan-weave at hight speed.

Any owner can advise at what speed you guys feel the bike wobble?

1995-1997 SUZUKI TS125R

1997-1998 SUZUKI DR350

2004-2005 HONDA XRV750

2006-2008 BMW R1150GS

2009-2009 VESPA GTV125

2009-2010 HONDA SILVERWING 400

2014- BMW R1200GS LC

my st13 also die off after moving off for 5 mins or so.got to restart,ref up throttle to 2000 rpm,hold for 1 min or so for auto choke to cut in.once fully warm up,its good to go.

Bro,

owner's manual says let the bike warm up and reach 1 bar temp first before moving off. are you doing that or jsut start and move off in the morning?

Thomas28

STOC#5870

FBB5423X

Interested to get a STX,but saw article about the Pan-weave at hight speed.

Any owner can advise at what speed you guys feel the bike wobble?

Bro,

which commercially available bike does not weave when going at high speed? there is bound to be some on the bike. but if you set up the suspension properly, there should be very little of this.

Thomas28

STOC#5870

FBB5423X