SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Daelim S3 fuel injection DOHC 125cc scooter

sym7

Dear all;

Just want to check. There seems to be some diff b/w 2011 and 2012 model S3 125. I notice the brake assembly at the rear is different. ALso, most importantly, is the earlier 2011 125 version SOHC or DOHC?

Secondly, I notice the clutch bell comprises of metal parts welded together on the standard model. I like to gather feedback of upgrading to machined after market clutch bell which are lighter yet more sturdy. Would it help to improve the performance of this bike (i.e. lower weight yet strongly, lower inertia and faster speed)?

GY6_Performance_Clutch_Drum[1].jpg

Regd

Edited by dluberk

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agreed with Adzz's point of view on Adiva's AD3 - Rain can still hit the rider from the sides. And yes it needs a wiper as well. Best is stop riding while its raining.

dluberk, your question too technical for me liao so I'd leave you to the other S3 riders to answer. :D

One question for you guys: Why are some "seasoned" riders who obviously have at least hold their licenses for a year still continue to put the probation plates on their bikes? Or even class 2a/2 riders also purposely put probation plates on their sparkling new first-hand bikes? What gives?

The 125 or 250 should serve well, 250 of course if you have a 2A. the extra HP is always good when you need to overtake. Im enjoying my 125 each day I ride. Now, I really appreciate the beauty of maxi scooters. Huge space, yet able to weave through traffic when needed. Feels safer too. Haha. Key word is feel..

I saw the AD200 at my area just couple of days back. I like the protection against rain it provides, but rain coming from the side will still hit the rider.

So far, 125 has not failed me, but I got a bit panicky today when I placed my key sensor in the underseat, but when I tried to activate the button, there was no response. Pretty scary indeed.

Sorry for the late reply. I was busy researching bikes after passing my 2A on 22 Nov. No luck yet. S3 Advance is still on my mind.

Thanks for the advice! Very true lah, damn ironical to be riding a bike which protects me from the rain upfront but still get my sides wet no matter what. Exactly like how an umbrella seems pointless during storms.

The most important factor which i almost forget is the wind-in-my-face shiokness of being a biker. So i rather wear my raincoat, continue riding or seek shelter if the rain is that heavy.

If not, just take public lor... Just that i find taking bus got too many stops, too turtle slow. Mrt too sardine can packed, find seat must fight, anyhow sit scared kena stomped, sometimes aircon spoilt got sweaty smell. Taxi too expensive, one trip can pump at least one full tank, my head still turning around checking for blind spots...

Edited by Veil

Dear fellow s3riders.

I just joined the ranks, got a per owned s3 125. Had this issue of engine coughing and quitting during wet weather riding. Brought back to KB for a quick check. Disabling the side stand kill switched eliminated the problem. A quick clean of the fuel ejector caused the engine to become more responsive too.

Dear fellow s3riders.

I just joined the ranks, got a per owned s3 125. Had this issue of engine coughing and quitting during wet weather riding. Brought back to KB for a quick check. Disabling the side stand kill switched eliminated the problem. A quick clean of the fuel ejector caused the engine to become more responsive too.

Then u shud probably replace d switch. Disabling it on a scooter is not safe. Friend itchy hand twist throttle, goodbye to ur bike lei. Unless u very sure u always rmb to use ur handbrake

A ride a day, keeps the doctor away!

:thumb:

2010-2012 : Honda Phantom TA200

2012-current : SYM Maxsym 400i

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/adiknaim

SG Maxsym FB Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/sgmaxsym/

Then u shud probably replace d switch. Disabling it on a scooter is not safe. Friend itchy hand twist throttle, goodbye to ur bike lei. Unless u very sure u always rmb to use ur handbrake

Bro. Thanks for the kind concerns for safety. I used to be a phantom rider for 9 yrs, same like u. Recently just changed to scooter. Spent sometime to get used to it. I suppose I will change the switch.

Regds.

Hi byon, what are the stuffs that are available? Official or after market? Accessories or mechanic parts? As an example - Some bros here (including myself) would be interested to know the price for the central console box. Any commissions to speak of?

hi all,

does anybody want daelim stuffs from korea? :p

• 2 weeks later...

(Gotta bump this thread up with some glibberish)

Well yesterday hor, I rode my 125 on AYE and I realised a pattern: 7k is 80km and 8k is 90km (Beyond that no comments on public forum). Anyways I'm pleased to report that the bike does not feel unstable and in anyways no feeling like it is going to tear itself apart in high speed. Is that the build quality of Korean bikes? I guess so.

Hishouken;

The other day, a friend who just got a SYM 200 tried my S3 and vice versa. He commented that the pickup was lagging. I tried his SYM and it accelerated much better and the engine seem quieter. A big difference an additional 45cc makes over S3 frankly. Nonetheless, choosing a bike is like choosing a partner to me. Either U like it or U hate it. I still like my S3:P

Edited by dluberk

Dear All;

I am trying to find more info on our S3 125's engine make and model. So far I can't find anything online. Anyone has any tips or insights to share is welcomed.

Just a sideline info. I have ordered a set of J.costa variator for the S3 from Italy. It would be coming in pretty soon. I will try to start a thread or something after I test out the performance of this upgraded variator. Stay tuned!

Definitely agreed on the pickup lag comment for the 125 - 6k already still a bit "struggling". However, the 250 would perform much better. Anyways, since we are on 2B scooters I'm thinking the Gilera Runner ST 200 would pick-up faster than SYM 200 due to its smaller frame. Just like yourself, I did not regret getting the 125. Runner is too common lah.

Mind sharing what does the J.costa variator would do for the S3? I'm a technical noob on bikes. :p

The other day, a friend who just got a SYM 200 tried my S3 and vice versa. He commented that the pickup was lagging. I tried his SYM and it accelerated much better and the engine seem quieter. A big difference an additional 45cc makes over S3 frankly. Nonetheless, choosing a bike is like choosing a partner to me. Either U like it or U hate it. I still like my S3:P

Definitely agreed on the pickup lag comment for the 125 - 6k already still a bit "struggling". However, the 250 would perform much better. Anyways, since we are on 2B scooters I'm thinking the Gilera Runner ST 200 would pick-up faster than SYM 200 due to its smaller frame. Just like yourself, I did not regret getting the 125. Runner is too common lah.

Mind sharing what does the J.costa variator would do for the S3? I'm a technical noob on bikes. :p

The variator is a device at the engine's output shaft that will engage to drive the belt which in turn drives the clutch which is affixed to the wheel. I am a novice too. I have just received the J.costa variator today. I need help to remove theAny advise? variator on my scoot. Any advise?

Wow! Sounds like an upgrade that I might be keen on! How much did you got it for?

This is a summary of what I researched:

1) Improved throttle response

2) Reduced RPM

3) Better acceleration

4) Less vibrations

5) Reduced noise levels

Perhaps you wanna try DIY yourself? http://www.clubpcx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=198

Otherwise give CKA a call to see if they can help for a fee.

The variator is a device at the engine's output shaft that will engage to drive the belt which in turn drives the clutch which is affixed to the wheel. I am a novice too. I have just received the J.costa variator today. I need help to remove theAny advise? variator on my scoot. Any advise?

Wow! Sounds like an upgrade that I might be keen on! How much did you got it for?

This is a summary of what I researched:

1) Improved throttle response

2) Reduced RPM

3) Better acceleration

4) Less vibrations

5) Reduced noise levels

Perhaps you wanna try DIY yourself? http://www.clubpcx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=198

Otherwise give CKA a call to see if they can help for a fee.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Tried calling CKA but Roy is not around. The process is not too difficult. The only challenge is I don't have the right tools. I don't have the variator tool and my torque wrench is too small. I like to DIY and figure out and make my hands dirty. Let's see how things go.

The variator cost about 120 Euro. Shipping is about 23 Euro. Total 143 Euro. The contact I got was from Internet. It retails for about 180 Euro on the J.Costa website and some other agents online, excluding shipping. I must say the source was well worth the effort.

Dear Fellow S3 riders;

Anyone of you or any of your friend's has an electric Impact Wrench to loan. I can just ride over whenever the location is. Once I cross the hurdle, I will be able to feedback on the J.costa. Kindly let me know.

Regds

I've been wondering, if any of you have similar probelm as mine.

I noticed recently that my S3 is having issues of laggish, slow response acceleration when moving off from stop or low speed up slope.

This usually happen only from cold starts, even after warming up. Not only overnights, maybe cooldown for like 1hr or so will also kanar.

The acceleration feels abit like erm.. how to describe.. like the belt is sandpaper.. vibrations.. very much like moving off from 2nd/3rd gear of a manual bike.. (but without the feeling of engine want to cut off like that..)

Low throttle not moving, half throttle the engine roar like mad with like 15-20km/hr speed.

Have to half throttle, roarrrr.. move abit, fully close throttle then slowly open throttle while in motion then can get a slow laggish acceleration.

When reach 40ish~50km/hr, the problem start to go away with very smooth acceleration. 50-90km/hr is a breeze.. beyond that never try before lah..

After running for like 8km or so, the problem is almost not there. Up slope, moving off from stop all back to normal.

Which may be why I tell Roy and the boys, they even took for trial rides, no problems..

On a side note, putting fuel injector cleaner (some petrol additive Roy introduced during my 3k servicing) seems to lessen the problem, but not totally eliminating it.

Googled abit but nothing conclusive yet. Some say rollers too heavy, some say air filters, some say injector..

Wanted to try changing air filters, because I work in construction industry, where there's a hell lot of dust.. but worry that it may not do anything.

Anybody have similar problems or solutions to this?

SafeSG.com - Bringing WSH Professionals Together

I've been wondering, if any of you have similar probelm as mine.

I noticed recently that my S3 is having issues of laggish, slow response acceleration when moving off from stop or low speed up slope.

This usually happen only from cold starts, even after warming up. Not only overnights, maybe cooldown for like 1hr or so will also kanar.

The acceleration feels abit like erm.. how to describe.. like the belt is sandpaper.. vibrations.. very much like moving off from 2nd/3rd gear of a manual bike.. (but without the feeling of engine want to cut off like that..)

Low throttle not moving, half throttle the engine roar like mad with like 15-20km/hr speed.

Have to half throttle, roarrrr.. move abit, fully close throttle then slowly open throttle while in motion then can get a slow laggish acceleration.

When reach 40ish~50km/hr, the problem start to go away with very smooth acceleration. 50-90km/hr is a breeze.. beyond that never try before lah..

After running for like 8km or so, the problem is almost not there. Up slope, moving off from stop all back to normal.

Which may be why I tell Roy and the boys, they even took for trial rides, no problems..

On a side note, putting fuel injector cleaner (some petrol additive Roy introduced during my 3k servicing) seems to lessen the problem, but not totally eliminating it.

Googled abit but nothing conclusive yet. Some say rollers too heavy, some say air filters, some say injector..

Wanted to try changing air filters, because I work in construction industry, where there's a hell lot of dust.. but worry that it may not do anything.

Anybody have similar problems or solutions to this?

Bro;

Have you tried servicing the throttle body? It is an easy DIY job. Just remove the throttle body and clean out all the soot and carbon within. Also clean the sensor on the throttle body. Did it on mine and it eliminated the sluggishness/ "almost going to cut engine at idle" problem.

Edited by dluberk

Dear Fellow S3 riders;

Anyone of you or any of your friend's has an electric Impact Wrench to loan. I can just ride over whenever the location is. Once I cross the hurdle, I will be able to feedback on the J.costa. Kindly let me know.

Regds

Dear All;

Managed to swap out the stock variator with the J.costa variator. It was actually not that difficult. A 5 min job involving removing the cover and the dreadful nut and putting the new variator in. I must say I have new found power/ acceleration. Though I have to throttle a bit more than usual from stationary to get the scoot moving, the scoot gets up to speed pretty fast, faster than stock. Acceleration was crisp. I tried to go for top speed and I could manage 125 km/h on PIE. I then throttled back to the legal speed limit (+/- 100 km/h and was surprised to find that the RPM hovers between 8.5 to 9K! I could obtain better top speed at a lower rpm than stock (stock would require at least up to 10K )!

Fellow S3 riders just drop me a message if you are interested in the J.costa mod.