SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

BMW Motorcycles

Drawmer

Well, at the end of the day no matter wat bike u r riding as long as one is comfortable with it in terms of physical or $$$. Most of the time it is the rider who is the one who cannot make it. Like SDR - he is one damm solid rider plus a gd beemer salesman. :cheeky: Dun say how gd ur bike n wat ur bike can do. Know 1 malaysia uncle who rode his rxk from SGP to Penang and back. So the rest is up to u all to gauge............................

Hey PingLong,

Congrates on the new ride!! Like what the rest of the guys say, you'll get use to the weight. Just try not to be overly concious about it and after a while, you'll be squeezing around traffic like a cub-chai in a traffic jam.... Hek Hek. I'm about the same height as you but 5kg lighter and my first crossing to Malaysia on my old FJR was on a holiday eve and it was pure terror!!!! But after a while, my Mrs realized that bike with boxes can't really slow me down.I have since sold the FJR for a GS. Whatever bike we get, it's a "feel good" thingie. So why bother comparing too much, just enjoy the ride.

Got a couple of pixs here of their new release....... honestly, first opinion: what on earth are they thinking of?!!! Hope they look better in the metal.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/113004top.jpg

2005 R1200ST

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/113004side1.jpg

2005 R1200RT

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/113004bot.jpg

2005 R1200ST

o_O

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b193/KohTL/1098/signature.jpg

The years thunder by.

The drams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience.

Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer?

In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

- Sterling Haden, Voyage, 1976

A little strange to see the RT without the wrap lower fairing, a little like a half naked bike. And as for the ST, I just can't help it......... it keeps reminding me of the Multistrada........ :giddy:

The years thunder by.

The drams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience.

Hiyee fellas! Been quiet for a few days. Where did I go???!

Riding my RT Bertha of course!!! Hahahahaa

Woke up on Saturday at home, just got this temptation to ride Bertha.

One side of the brain says "Don't lah, u haven't got ur riding gear yet, dangerous"

The other side counter "Ride carefully lah. Just don't to anything stupid, and Bertha will take good care of you"

So, after lunch at home, I set off at around 2pm with the toughest-looking pants I have, my leather shoes, and a windbreaker.

Filled up petrol somewhere near my house, then start.

Destination.......Mersing. Went by the Ulu Tiram - Jemaluang way. Lots of cornering. A couple of near-misses as well coz I misjudged the sharpness of the bend. Bertha was cool and willing, its rider wasn't cool and nervous throughout. Other than that, there wasn't any problem. Took around 2 hours, reached there around 4.30pm. Went to this coffeeshop I know to drink a glass of iced milo and ate some curry puffs......and to calm down..HAHAHAHAHA. My dad used to bring me here when I was younger.

While at Mersing, was thinking to myself "Since you already reach Mersing, why not go a bit further so u can practice more, get to know Bertha better?"

"Where to?"

".....Endau...."

"Let's do it".

Finished my drink and set off towards Endau. Decided to take the coastal road passing by Pengarang. It's not the main road, lined with lots of malay villages. Avoid speeding here as there're a lot of cows and goats and kids on holiday running here and there playing beside the road. Road was quite straight, enjoyed the leisurely ride and the view. Reached Endau (a town near Pahang-Johor border) 1 hour later. Then head back towards Mersing.

"Let's go back thru another road, don't go back from where you came from"

"Where then?"

"Kluang......."

Lots of cornering again. It's worse than JB-Mersing. But this time, I felt more confident. Even though my speed never exceed 100 km/h, but I don't remember being overtaken by anybody. At times, I was half-expecting the engine cylinder to scrap the road but that didn't happen. That means.....I can go down more....but I took it slow. Remember, don't do anything stupid and Bertha will take care of you. Reached Kluang in about 1 and half hours. Went to this place my dad used to bring us to eat beef ball noodles. Dinner was good. Before I left, tapau-ed for my parents.

Next.....the North-South highway back to JB.

Wait....what's the distance I've covered so far?

Check.....320km.

Fuel.......3 more bars on the indicator.

Kluang to my house in JB is another roughly 100km away.

Bertha can last till 400km before refuelling?

Let's find out.

Went on the highway after leaving Kluang about half an hour later. Passed the toll plaza and sped all the way up to 110km/h quickly. Took less than 8 seconds. I didn't push it hard. Bertha was stable. No swaying to the side. Not much vibration at handlebar. Engine pumping consistently. Bring up the windscreen to the highest, damn...I can still listen to 933FM! Hahahahaha. Felt funny with the radio blaring at high speed. But bring the windscreen down, and I can't hear it already.With the windscreen up, I can listen to the engine as well. Sounds very confident and efficient. It's like Bertha is telling me "Come on...this is boring...u can do better than this". Set the windscreen down, cut the radio, and increased speed to 120km/h. Still feeling ok. With all the wind blowing towards me, I can hardly hear Bertha. Increased speed further to 130km/h. My god, I'm no longer a bike virgin. Here I am, breaking the speed limit by 20 km/h. I'm consistently on the right side of the road now. I was smiling inside my helmet. Now I'm the one doing all the overtaking. Just zoom past other bikes, cars.....and then I see a big truck in front. The moment I zoom past, I was hit by some kind of cross wind. Caught unexpected, Bertha was swayed a little bit to the right, but I held it back in time. Ok, got to be more alert when overtaking big vehicles in future. From then on, it wasn't a problem anymore when overtaking those big trucks. Just hold the handle steadily and we're fine. Consistently was at the speed of 120-130km/h. Didn't dare to go any faster even though I know the throttle can be twisted much much more. I've been riding the whole afternoon, I'm tired. So just went at that speed for most part of the journey. Bertha was performing well. No sign of it faltering at all.

Reached my parents's house around 9.30pm. Mileage, 417km. Fuel indicator, left one bar. But the fuel warning light is not on yet. I went to bed that night with a smile on my face and slept so well I didn't even dream.

Bertha is definitely much much more capable than its owner.

Next day, cleaned up Bertha, wiped away all the insects that martyr-ed themselves and cleaned up all the dirt and dust all over.

My head starts to formulate a plan.

To get my full set of riding gear within this week; touring jacket and pants (made from the tough fabric called cordura), and riding boots.

Next destination............Kuala Lumpur.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a140/pinglong/R1200RT_R1200GSA_top_back_on_back.jpg

A bigger pix of the RT. Check out the writeup at:

http://www.mcnews.com.au/

:thumb:

The years thunder by.

Originally posted by nE0@Dec 5 2004, 09:41 AM

I like the ST too, so unique look!

But the RT, looks so cheesy! The front end looks like,,,, a chubby Varadero! (I like the varadero though....)

U r right, same thoughts too... its looks like my "pig ugly" varadero hahahah

But I personally think pigs are charming .. hahahaha

guess beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder kekekek :sweat:

VAR-A

Varadero Adventure Riders-Asia

V1KINGS

Originally posted by elws@Dec 6 2004, 09:13 PM

Pinglong - so u have taken my advice n ride with the radio on fun right. Enjoy there is more to go. :bouncefire: :bouncefire: :bouncefire:

Heh Heh :thumb:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a140/pinglong/R1200RT_R1200GSA_top_back_on_back.jpg

All these can only be experience on a Big Money Wasted machine and you love it, trust me.

P.S. : Do you think I can be a good salesman for BMW?

Good BMW salesman? MAN! u prob will top the sales chart annually :thumb:

but i cant agreen fully with wat u said. 'cause it all depends on y u ride. u sound like u enjoy attention,or should i say an attention seeker, then riding the bike :confused:

as i have mention i've tried few, GS1150/ RT1100/ GT1100/ R1100, n i even had the R1100 for a week but at the end of the day i still stick to the jap bikes. my reason is 'cos the "attention" element is not top in my list when i hunt for bikes.

we all have our reasons for buying or liking a bike so ur selling points for BMW bikes should also include others like its boxer sounds diff, its german eng. ect.

btw not every man will envy u riding a BMW 'cos

1) they never know bikes can cost as much as a car

2) many ppl (esp daddys n mummys) still think only bad boys ride bike

3) most gals r attracted by looks rather then brand. allow me to tell u a true story : bro A drives a 318i n bro B drives a huydai tuscani. when asked 2 chicks outside MS which car they 1 2 sent them back? the ans was bro B :faint:

me for example, don't envy ppl riding BMW bikes 'cos its not that i can't afford buy i choose not to 'cos it don't have what's on my list for bikes thus i spend my $ on another car. so it's all very individual.

1991-Katana125 1992-GN125 1993-Terminator250 1995-Intruder400 1996-ZX-7RRP1 & Charade1L 1996-Vulcan800 1998-Accent1.5L 2001-CorollaXLI 2002-TDM900 2005-Phamton150 2006-FJR1300 2007-KLE500 & WRX JDM 2010-Spark135 & Legacy GT 2012-Focus SW & Sylphy 2015-V Strom 650XT & D Tracker, 2016-Cross Country & RS4 125, 2017-Moto Guzzi V7ii Stone

I think there's no way anybody can win an argument on whose bike is better than whose. We all were born into this world, through our upbringing, through exposure to things around us, to people whom we meet, grow to like certain things in a certain way. It is unexplainable. You just like it.

Someone can ask me....why do u like BMW RT so much?

Oh, because of the design, because of the legendary reliability.

What is it about the design that you like?

I won't know how to explain it. I just like the way it looks.

Why do you emphasize so much on legendary reliability?

Because I want to go on long-distance tour.

Why do you want to go on a long-distance tour on a bike? Why not do it in a car?

Why not backpack? Why not hitch-hike?

I just like the feeling of riding a bike. I would also like to do it in a car, but I prefer bike, for now. As to why I prefer bike to a car, I do not know how to explain. It's just a feeling that I like.

Why you like to eat Crystal Jade's Durian pudding?

Because it's sweet, creamy, ...it just taste good. I don't know why I like durian. I don't understand it when an ang moh say he don't like the smell. What is it abt the smell that he don't like so much??? I love it!

So you see, these things can't be explained. Hence the saying

"To each his own...."

"Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder..."

etc..

So, let's not say who is right or who is wrong to like or enjoy certain things lah.

Just exchange experience lah. Then won't turn into your words against mine mah.

We can keep our discussion cordial and pleasant. Exchange info, share tips, help each other. I joined this forum for that reason, I'm sure most of us are the same too. :thumb:

Originally posted by pinglong@Dec 7 2004, 10:03 AM

So, let's not say who is right or who is wrong to like or enjoy certain things lah.

Just exchange experience lah. Then won't turn into your words against mine mah.

We can keep our discussion cordial and pleasant. Exchange info, share tips, help each other. I joined this forum for that reason, I'm sure most of us are the same too. :thumb:

Well said!!

Let me quote from Mitch who wrote in the the latest issue of TWO magazine:

" So what makes us do it? The desire to have something unusual or unique? Or the desire to experience something different? I suppose biking just appeals to those of us with an eccentric streak, and long may it continue! "

:thumb:

The years thunder by.

Originally posted by pinglong@Dec 7 2004, 10:03 AM

Why do you want to go on a long-distance tour on a bike? Why not do it in a car?

Why not backpack? Why not hitch-hike?

I just like the feeling of riding a bike. I would also like to do it in a car, but I prefer bike, for now. As to why I prefer bike to a car, I do not know how to explain. It's just a feeling that I like.

The feeling of freedom and the feeling of you're in control.

But oso v important to me is the companionship when you stop to take a break.

TCSS is a must for any trip.

:cheeky:

Why are people who ride motorcycles called bikers and people who ride bikes called cyclists?

Originally posted by chung@Dec 7 2004, 12:53 PM

The feeling of freedom and the feeling of you're in control.

But oso v important to me is the companionship when you stop to take a break.

TCSS is a must for any trip.

Why do you need to feel the 'freedom'? What is 'freedom' to you?

Why do you have the need to feel in control?

Why do you think companionship is important?

Why is TCSS is important for any trip?

p/s : What is TCSS? :confused:

Originally posted by pinglong@Dec 7 2004, 02:00 PM

I live in a flat. I work in a cubicle. If I drive, I'll be sitting in a box, bounded.

I enjoy the solitude of riding. I'm a guy, from Mars.

My mind can wander or be in a state of emptiness when I'm on the road.

Its not a need. Because I can be quite accommodating. But it sure feels good knowing that you can stop whenever you want to or take a detour as you wish. Dun have to worry about bus schedule or catching a train.

As much as I enjoy the solitude of riding, I oso need companions. They are my support when I need any help. In return, I'll offer my help to them when they need it. And without them how to TCSS?

TCSS is like a brainstorming session. Everyone builds on the jokes or comments of others. Mix it all together and you'll get quite a story and definitely a good laugh. It sort of re-energise you and set you going again.

:offtopic:

:sorry:, we're turning this into a chatting thread.

Why are people who ride motorcycles called bikers and people who ride bikes called cyclists?

Originally posted by chung@Dec 7 2004, 03:07 PM

Posted on Dec 7 2004, 03:07 PM

QUOTE (pinglong @ Dec 7 2004, 02:00 PM)

As much as I enjoy the solitude of riding, I oso need companions.  They are my support when I need any help.  In return, I'll offer my help to them when they need it.  And without them how to TCSS?

TCSS is like a brainstorming session.  Everyone builds on the jokes or comments of others.  Mix it all together and you'll get quite a story and definitely a good laugh.  It sort of re-energise you and set you going again.

:offtopic:

:sorry:, we're turning this into a chatting thread.

Yo pinglong,

easy there...... After your first group ride with the RIGHT company, you'll understand what chung is saying...... and you'll be hooked!!

:thumb: :thumb:

The years thunder by.

Originally posted by cyclop@Dec 7 2004, 05:33 PM

Yo pinglong,

easy there...... After your first group ride with the RIGHT company, you'll understand what chung is saying...... and you'll be hooked!!

:thumb: :thumb:

hahaha...i know lah...

was just teasing him lah.

I'm sooooooo looking forward to my next ride already. Just got my gear yest.

Wore them, and sat on my bike, stretch here stretch there a bit before deciding to buy. So, hope won't regret my purchase. hahah.

Originally posted by pinglong@Dec 7 2004, 05:45 PM

I'm sooooooo looking forward to my next ride already. Just got my gear yest.

Wore them, and sat on my bike, stretch here stretch there a bit before deciding to buy. So, hope won't regret my purchase. hahah.

Not easy to get good gear for our weather. Gotta choose between protection or being cooked alive (for most part of the year at least). Those that offers a little of both armour and cooling do cost a bomb!! But its good to see more and more riders wearing proper gears for their ride, a sign of maturity among the community. Excellent!!! :cheer:

The years thunder by.

Originally posted by cyclop@Dec 8 2004, 12:12 AM

Not easy to get good gear for our weather. Gotta choose between protection or being cooked alive (for most part of the year at least). Those that offers a little of both armour and cooling do cost a bomb!! But its good to see more and more riders wearing proper gears for their ride, a sign of maturity among the community. Excellent!!! :cheer:

agree man!!! For one's own Safety :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Fellow riders, it will be my first trip to Kuala Lumpur with Bertha after work today. Wish me luck. May all RT ancestors watch over me and protect me....

amen...

amitabha...

alhamdullilah...

the weather conditions aint dat optimistic... take care while traveling!~ :thumb:

http://martymcfry.com/images/limpdick2.jpg

'01 - Honda Repsol

'03 - Honda Super Four VTec Spec II

'04 - Honda ST1100 Pan European

'05 - Yamaha FJR1300A (FAVORITE!! Best Ride ever!!)

'09 - Vespa GTS300 Super

'12 - Yamaha FZ1-N

Future - Kymco Downtown 350i, Xciting 400 or T-Max 530?

I managed to make it to KL on Fri, and back to SG on Mon (took one day off) alive. While in KL, dropped Bertha twice. Once on the left side, once on the right. Both time while reversing down a slope to main road, lost balance. Thankfully, the engine guards work beautifully. So just some minor scratches on the side panniers.

A bit depressing thinking abt it after that. But I guess it comes with riding. Bound to happen sooner or later.

This time, I rode Bertha all the way to 160km/h along the KLIA-Cyberjaya stretch. It was late at night, not many cars, on a 3-lane highway, feeeeeels gooooood. :lovestruck:

The engine sounds much much better at high speed. At low speed, Bertha sounds like "Brom Brom Brom Brom Brom". At high speed, it sounds like "VVVVVVVVVVVrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooooo". Sweeet........

To the guy on Varadero (I think) who dunno came from nowhere, overtook me from behind and then slowed down to 'accompany' for a while, Yo man! Nice bike! Sorry if you were expecting me to keep up with you, but I was a bit tired already, and just want to cruise gently back to SG (It was close to midnite). Haha, after a while, he sped off on his own.

Hi Pinglong,

Congrats on your new ride.Im sure you'll enjoy it.

Just a caution that the battery was a concern for BMW bikes if left for too long and not riding it.

I had mine(R1150RT) goofed up on me for not riding it but somehow it seems they can't hold their charge as long compared to Jap bikes.

But I guess it should not be an issue for you cos you are probably riding it daily anyhow..