SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Safety officer

ET

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest enHANZed

i work in the safety department of a shipyard but not as a safety officer but from the best of my knowledge u will need to be a registered safety officer with MOM .

to be a safety officer, u need to attend a course call safety officer training course or equilvent.. this course is available in ngee ann and singapore poly.. some other place may have but i not sure.. after the course, if u have clocked enough safety programs say 3yrs or 5yrs of safety experience, u may entitled to register with MOM to be a registered safety officer.. only this u can get a better salary..

an enemy of an enemy is your fren

Originally posted by ET@January 09, 2007 08:47 pm

Hi there, i notice that safety officer requires some certificate to work in a particular area, anyone can enlighten me on how and whats the requirement?

Yes, you need to register with MOM.

There are currently two polytechnics offering this course, Ngee Ann and Singapore Polytechnicss, Work-place Safety & Health Officer Course. I think it's S$2961. I am sponsored by my company to attend this course, cos we need a registered WSHO in my company. I attended the night classes started last July, had my exams in Nov last year. Just got my results.

I will need to complete 6 assignments and a report this semester, which is from Jan 2007 - Jul 2007. For Diploma holders, we have to work in related safety area in your company for THREE years and apply to be a register WSHO with MOM with your 3 years of "safety" experiences. For Degree holders, you all will need only TWO years of experiences.

But you have to be MENTALLY PREPARED. There is a lot of theories to study and memorise...

I cleared two weeks of leave before my first exams and had to lock myself in my room for the full two weeks to study. I studied till 2 am almost everyday and woke up at 9am the next day to continue studying.

If you intend to go for the course, better hurry up. I heard from the SP lecturers(I am taking it at SP) that they increase the criteria to only allowing Degree holders to register for the course and there may be an entrance test too...

If you really going for the course, and need my summarised notes (which I shared with my classmates too), we can arrange to meet for me to LEND you(must return me WITHOUT any writings on them, ok?? :smile: )

Honda Phantom TA200, FV5349A (19/04/2005 - 28/06/2006)

Honda Super 4 Vtec 1, FS6537H (28/06/2006 - 13/02/2007)

Yamaha FJR1300 ABS, FBB661H (13/02/2007 - 31/05/2008)

Honda VFR800 ABS, FBB 404 J (31/05/2008 - 15/08/2009)

ADIVA AD 200, FBD 36 C (15/08/2009 - 13/05/2010, 1430hrs)

Yamaha FZ6N, FBA 7274 B (13/05/2010, 1430hrs - 03/05/2016, 1840hrs)

Yamaha FZ8, FBF 61*9 T (07/05/2016, 1130hrs - )

Originally posted by joeflizzow17@January 10, 2007 10:32 pm

Thanks seahmh for the info!

No problem... :smile:

If any one needs any help, just post here or PM me. We will try to help each other out... :smile:

Originally posted by badzman@January 11, 2007 03:07 pm

wah... watch too much 9pm's the keppel shipyard show liao hahaha

i'm oso interested, but still a student elsewhere + no $$ haha..

Good luck to you guys~ :smile:

Sorry lor, when I kenna "arrowed" by my company to attend the course last year, this Keppel show is not out yet lor.. :smile:

Originally posted by ET@January 12, 2007 06:01 am

showing already lar...~~~9pm on ch 8...~~okok, thanks for the info..~

What I meant was that when I started my course in Jul 2006, the show is still NOT showing yet... :smile:

• 8 months later...

With Workplace Safety and health Act setting up, it will covers more workplaces like shopping centres, hospitals, offices, etc unlike the Factory Act. For those with cert will be sought after. My company just hired one Consultant to help us cope with this new ACt. Come only once fortnightly. I guess u work on your own and be a consultant for a few companies. Easy money but of course heavy responsibilities. But as long u know how to cover yourself, will be good enuff.

Time to visit my HR and ask to sponsor...

i just finished my final SOTC exam, now left 5 projects to hand in. Definitely safety officer career is booming now, many people signing up for the course. Chances of getting accepted is getting slimmer & slimmer due to overwhelming demand.

:smile:

John 15:7 (New International Version)

7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

-- it's true & it really works for me. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there, i notice that safety officer requires some certificate to work in a particular area, anyone can enlighten me on how and whats the requirement?

safety officer course used to be incorporated into the marine offshore engineering course conducted in singapore polytechnic. you may wish to find out more from the sp if you are going for a diploma. alternatively, you may take up the safety coruse from sp or np.

if you are already working, the new regulations on wsho (workplace safety and health officer, the new name under the new act) is that you may need NOT to go thru the local wsho training course. that is only if you can prove that you have credential and credible backgroud and experience as a safety personnel.

that means an us or uk or india safety person can be registered with mom (ministry of manpower) as a registered wsho if he proves to be competent and qualified in term of his training and background.

safety officer in construction site will normally double up as eco (environmental control officer).

safety officer in manufacturing plant will normally double up as fsm (fire safety manager).

safety officer in shipyard will normally double up as safety assessor.

this is a job that requires a lot patience and passion.

good luck.

regards,

cstay66

hp 9459 5300

read my love-hate relationship with my wee.

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2305336&postcount=35

1987-kawasaki gto 110, 1990-honda rebel 250, 2004-suzuki vstrom dl650, 2009-yamaha fjr 1300, 2011-kawasaki er6f

safety officer course used to be incorporated into the marine offshore engineering course conducted in singapore polytechnic. you may wish to find out more from the sp if you are going for a diploma. alternatively, you may take up the safety coruse from sp or np.

if you are already working, the new regulations on wsho (workplace safety and health officer, the new name under the new act) is that you may need NOT to go thru the local wsho training course. that is only if you can prove that you have credential and credible backgroud and experience as a safety personnel.

that means an us or uk or india safety person can be registered with mom (ministry of manpower) as a registered wsho if he proves to be competent and qualified in term of his training and background.

safety officer in construction site will normally double up as eco (environmental control officer).

safety officer in manufacturing plant will normally double up as fsm (fire safety manager).

safety officer in shipyard will normally double up as safety assessor.

this is a job that requires a lot patience and passion.

good luck.

nice meeting u at the pulai waterfall yesterday. its a small world to see a fellow safety officer at a outing :smile:

7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

The market for WSHO will be great for the next couple of years due to increase in industry demand and push by MOM to cut down fatalities. To be in the game for long, constant upgrading is the key. I have been in the safety line for couple of years now. It is an interesting career for we get to learn new things everyday.

Great to see fellow safety officers and supervisors in this forum! May be we can meet up one of these days for a ride or chat too.

The market for WSHO will be great for the next couple of years due to increase in industry demand and push by MOM to cut down fatalities. To be in the game for long, constant upgrading is the key. I have been in the safety line for couple of years now. It is an interesting career for we get to learn new things everyday.

Great to see fellow safety officers and supervisors in this forum! May be we can meet up one of these days for a ride or chat too.

Now the safety officer job market is booming...the only way to get big pay jump is to play musical chair and hopping around. In fact my fren ask me want to work in Jurong island contract job - $7K to $9K depend on experience.

My SOTC lecturer always say safety officer is a small community, we should always network amongst ourselves & pass lobang to each other & exchange safety tips also. Because a single safety officer may not know everything.

:smile:

If u wanna work as safety officer, at least know whats safe whats not.

In my plant i'v seen contractor safety supervisors don't even know what to do during emergencies, don't even know which type of extinguishers to use during diff fire harzards, don't know many other things. haiz.

Sometimes it's common sense.

• 2 weeks later...
If u wanna work as safety officer, at least know whats safe whats not.

In my plant i'v seen contractor safety supervisors don't even know what to do during emergencies, don't even know which type of extinguishers to use during diff fire harzards, don't know many other things. haiz.

Sometimes it's common sense.

safety supervisors are different class from safety officer.

• 2 months later...

hi, can ask sometin to the SO in this forum.

1)Does the NTUC safety cert for supervisors recognised by companies in spore?

2)Do we need to be a safety supervisor for few years b4 we could be a safety Officer? I got a diploma in engineering , was thinkin of taking the NTUC course.

thanx a lot.