SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Product : Engine Oil Discussion

ypvs

so 10w50 or 15w50 better in singapore for GTS200? omg... headache!

i assume the GTS200 is liquid-cooled. thus you'll be looking at 10w40 for a new bike or 15w50 for an older bike, due to the piston ring gap being bigger, thus a thicker oil would seal the combustion process better ie better compression.

10w60 is waaaaaaaay too thick. your bike will be way smoother and quieter, but the decrease in power is very noticeable and quite big.

try not to use oils that begin with 5w in singapore cos they are too thin when cold. you'll cause more cold wear on your engine when you first fire it up.

so to conclude, 10w40 would give you more power with a slightly rougher and noisier engine and 10w50 or 15w50 would give you slightly less power but with increased smoothness and less noise. so pick your poison!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For haya riders, they like 5w50. Thinner

For me as a phantom ta200 rider, i like 20w50. Have tried 5w50, 15w50. Maxima fan.

The "W" Stands for winter. So in singapore, unless you store your bike in a fridge, its rather how thin you like your oil to be.

Thinner oil, engine will sound smoother, thicker oil, gear shifting more slick.

XiAoAlan, dun be too concerned about what grade u are using as long as it end with a *w50 if yours is a air cooled bike. Just check your eo levels regularly and oil change. For a more steady response, check out with your experienced fellow riders of the same ride on the grade of oil that they use and brand. they can advise u better. no two bikes are the same.

Dragstar 400 classic & Zx6r

Thanks for your advise. But my GTS200 is liquid cooled. So as advised by dinie i should go for w40 or w50.. Hmm.. Maxima and Motul are the top brands that are esther base... group V?

For me as a phantom ta200 rider, i like 20w50. Have tried 5w50, 15w50. Maxima fan.

The "W" Stands for winter. So in singapore, unless you store your bike in a fridge, its rather how thin you like your oil to be.

XiAoAlan, dun be too concerned about what grade u are using as long as it end with a *w50 if yours is a air cooled bike. Just check your eo levels regularly and oil change. For a more steady response, check out with your experienced fellow riders of the same ride on the grade of oil that they use and brand. they can advise u better. no two bikes are the same.

I have used on my ta200

1. Silkolene 15w50 $10 one. After 1000km, cannot make it. Always stuck at neutral and stuff,

2. Switched to 20w50 maxima semi syn(once 5w50 fully syn.. not much difference). Was a loyal fan for awhile but always after 1800km or so, i feel that gear shifting not smooth already and will change at 2000km. Gear shifting felt rubbery.. quite shiok but always have problem going from 2nd gear to first when riding. $15 per litre

3. Currently using belray thumper 20w50. When running, engine felt like maxima but when shifting gears, it was less rubbery and easier. $18 though.will see how it goes with the mileage abuse

Edited by Hydher

Dragstar 400 classic & Zx6r

Thanks for your advise. But my GTS200 is liquid cooled. So as advised by dinie i should go for w40 or w50.. Hmm.. Maxima and Motul are the top brands that are esther base... group V?
yes.. based purely on viscosity alone, and not brand, w40 gives more power and noisier engine. w50 gives less power but a quieter, smoother engine.

i used 15w50 for my atlantic the last time. i liked the feeling as compared to thinner oils. since you're riding a scooter, gear shifting wouldnt be an issue anyway. so why not try both of the SAME BRAND? try w50 for now. and then the next change try w40 lar. see what you like. gts 200 uses one bottle only anyway. cheers!

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7100/vfrsiggy.jpg

Haha yeah i think i try both of maxima for 1000km see how.. cheap for 2b :angel:

what are the best engine oils around? maxima and motul?

yes.. based purely on viscosity alone, and not brand, w40 gives more power and noisier engine. w50 gives less power but a quieter, smoother engine.

i used 15w50 for my atlantic the last time. i liked the feeling as compared to thinner oils. since you're riding a scooter, gear shifting wouldnt be an issue anyway. so why not try both of the SAME BRAND? try w50 for now. and then the next change try w40 lar. see what you like. gts 200 uses one bottle only anyway. cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
Well pricing wise it up to u to find the best bargain....

motul 300v cheapest is $28 i can find i nv say $18....

maxima gt $18 semi or fully nt sure

mobil range fr $18 to $21 max....

oso ....

nt onli one person say the oil ...

i have a few kakis all kana...

they lucky i suay coz i say so gd so gd but turn out ....

so when i overhual my bike c the oil quality ....

i understand liao y gt so many complains...:faint:

i nt saying bcoz of RP my engine seize....

any way my engine nv seize juz decided it time to do overhual since gt the $$$$

Well liquid moly i still trying out....

of course ester based like motul 300v i of course support....

i been a royal supporter of motul....

any way for liquid moly will c if it gd a nt....

for the soild ester base stuff etc ...

do read up on wikipedia....

tink they offer a very good explaination....

As for RP....

own preferance mate....

I tried & disappointed ...

hw disappointed dun noe hw 2 say

it was like year 2007 end

u using max cycle range rite....

u get it at sanfu or fr the eletric shop at tanjong pagar there...?

any way all bikers has their pref brands of oils....

it up to individual to determine which oil suit their budget & of course their bikes....

no 2 bikes behave the same ....

same bike model but diff reaction to diff eO...

tat y i always say she has a life of it own..

end of the day is up to the end user (the biker) to decide

Cheers mates.....

Hi there,

i am curious as your kakis kana?You see the quality?Did you use the right viscosity engine oil for your bike?May i know the mileage you change for your engine oil?I have used royal purple too.Now currently on my pulsar it works great.Used on my busa too.To state my intentions clearly i am interested to find out more,i am a neutral party here.Have you emailed Royal purple to find out why and etc?You can read the feedbacks and see the video on youtube.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg228/mercenary_017/BusaKenji.jpg

Not totally true,i for the haya riders part.For long distance 1 prefer thicker engine oil,less vibration and last longer.For track thinner oil response faster.Older engines or those with high mileage use thicker oil better

royal purple max-cycle 20w-50 (S$18 per bottle, DIY).

best engine oil for my bike.

silky smooth n slickness gearshifting.

rp is extended time engine oil just like amsoil.

note:

place to buy royal purple is at tanjong pagar plaza, block 2, #02-20 (S082002).

additional note:

for first time rp user, u might need to adjust your ilding speed,

your engine will run lower rpm coz rp run cooler compare to other oil.

Yup using that too on my pulsar its great better than maxima fully syn

read my signature, it is stated in there.

it's a big 125cc air-cool 4-valve single piston engine bike.

even sportbikes in our hot climate, it is best to use royal purple max-cycle 20w-50 engine oil.

i believe 10w-40 grade r too thin for our climate coz i tried n find gearshifting is rough.

Yes but its recommended for endurance in their website

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there,

i am curious as your kakis kana?You see the quality?Did you use the right viscosity engine oil for your bike?May i know the mileage you change for your engine oil?I have used royal purple too.Now currently on my pulsar it works great.Used on my busa too.To state my intentions clearly i am interested to find out more,i am a neutral party here.Have you emailed Royal purple to find out why and etc?You can read the feedbacks and see the video on youtube.

u service yr bike at sanfu rite...?

coz busa + royal purple mah...

lol....

any way ...

still toking abt royal purple again ...

haha...

the debate goes on....

it happen abt aayear + ago liao...

to rem all details is equal to lying...

but the best ting i rem is my whole clutch assembly all brunt & wrecked...

hmm....

or refer to pg 17 ....

msot of the details are there i believe ....lol

my oil change will be at 4k + for full sys eo...

was rec by their sales guy to try their "racing Grade" eo ...

can't rem but it should b 10w40 ...

say tis & tat very gd....

went up to thailand or sumting then cum dw to spore again etc etc...

very long mileage over 5k confirm ...

engine gear box nice nice etc...

hmm..

any way ....

read my prev thread ....

all have their own pref of eo....

use wat u deem value for $$ & good....

nt here to kick a fuss or anyting....

juz sharing sum postive & neg experiences tat all....

tat wat all biker should do rite....

for mi i will try no gd change loh...

for mi nw i using motul 300v & sticking to it ...

haha...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs773.ash1/166356_131601833567489_100001530181591_182770_5027349_n.jpg

More for less . . . Always!!!

M.B Products : Lifestyle, Performance, Electronics, Security, Accessories . . .

Click here ---> Visit Motore Bici Section for more details

any bros using http://www.liquimolyasia.com/images/madeingermany1.jpg Liqui Moly 10w50 or 10w60 ... any reviews?

~

Current Ride: FJS400 Silver Wing

Trips:

23~27 Dec 2014: 5D5N KL & Ipoh

Scooby's blog http://scoobydooby-doo.blogspot.sg/

Tech Corner http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php/325894-lt-Info-gt-Silverwing-400cc-600cc-Tech-Corner