SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Product : Engine Oil Discussion

ypvs

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damn. you guys are good at convincing people.

recently i am very much into homebrew chainlube with synthetic engine oil. testing some formula now. just love homebrew. haha...

Well, I am just sharing my experience with the engine oil that i have used with u. No need to convince u even then. Hehe.

If u don wan to use also no problem. I not promoting the product anyway.

Happy riding bro. :cheeky:

History n Present ride

Nov '00 till Dec '00 - Aprilia RS 125cc 1 Mth

Dec '00 till Oct '05- Yamaha RXZ Delux 135cc 4 Years 11Mths

Feb '04 till Dec '09 - Honda Wave-S 125cc 5 Years 10Mths

Dec '09 till Sept '12 - Yamaha FZ150i 2 Years 9Mths

Sept 12 till Aug '19 - Yamaha Spark 135 RX 6 Years 11Mths

Aug '19 till Present - Honda CB125F

Added the "$1 spray on chain lube" project to my kopitiam engineering task list :D

Btw what's the shelf life of the mixture once I add in the solvent? Shake before use?

Those spray on lubes in the market have a similar composition - a lighter 'carrier' liquid that evaporates leaving a sticky lubricant.

i don't think there is a shelf life. from what i read, people use the mixture from a few months to more then a year after mixing it without any issue. as whether does it separate i am still testing it. i washed a transparent bottle and waiting for it to dry. will pour some mixture into it and let it sit for a day to see whether will it separate.

it should not be a problem if you are using spray bottle. just shake it up a bit if it does. but i going to find out anyway.

Alright! Thanks for the tips :D This will be quite fun.

I am considering getting some of those gimmicky "friction reducer" additives. While they won't work in a small bike engine (ruin the clutch), if the product works to "reduce friction" on a moving chain we have a sure winner, especially with your solvent delivery system.

some moly additive? hehehe... keep us updated.

anyway, my mixture had been sitting there for the past 3 hours. don't look like it going to separate. wait till tonight and check again.

almost 1 full day. it look prefectly fine with no separation :)

try schaeffer MolyEP? $14.50 for 1L. last you forever. hehehe...

http://www.lubeszone.com/

hell. this morning miss an exist and pass by ERP without cashcard in it. saw a man standing under the ERP gantry with a file in his hand so don't dare to stop. in the end have to turn one big round to go back. how much will the fine be? :(

Edited by Isopropyl

Okay on - I will manufacture a $1 spray on chain lube to test on my next technical seminar.

Dun pray pray ah, $1 + friction reducing some more. Kopitiam engineering sia.

oh, got to ask people bring their own spray bottles. I don't run such a big household. Hahahaha!

hell. this morning miss an exist and pass by ERP without cashcard in it. saw a man standing under the ERP gantry with a file in his hand so don't dare to stop. in the end have to turn one big round to go back. how much will the fine be? http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php/images/smilies/frown.png

My boss just kena lol. $9. Bike or car, no discount.

My boss just kena lol. $9. Bike or car' date=' no discount.[/quote']

damn. i just buy raymond lim one plate of chicken rice plus 1 bottle of tiger:(

bro. you got experience in adjusting bike chain? i tried but could not unlock the nuts.

new biker here. so far below are my DIY for my spark. hope to learn more.

1) Change coolant

2) Adjust brake free play

3) Adjust brake light

4) clean air filter

tampines. where can i get them?

Planet Motor Cycles at Ubi :) Search for them on streetdirectory.com or SBF :) Catch them before they close for Xmas!

bro. you got experience in adjusting bike chain? i tried but could not unlock the nuts.

new biker here. so far below are my DIY for my spark. hope to learn more.

1) Change coolant

2) Adjust brake free play

3) Adjust brake light

4) clean air filter

Chain - best is to use BIG wrench as you need a lot of torque to unlock the bolts. Likewise for assembly, for security reasons. If the bolt seems stuck try the other direction.

Will advise you to let the shop mechanic demo for you the first time, so you got the working procedure correct :) For purposes of liability etc I always let the shop do this kind of thing, since we don't own things like torque wrenches to ensure proper fitment. Come to think of it, I've never seen a m/c mech use a torque wrench - but they know how much torque to use when tightening various types of bolts, and we don't!

I was quiet intrigued after reading so many good reviews about Chessa Chex 9000. I tried to find more information on Chessa. They seem to have just a single website based in Singapore http://www.Chessa.com.sg and no German or any other website. Also couldnt find any details on the constitution of the Engine oil like is it Hydrocracked, PAO or Ester based. Anybody has these details?

Also no info on the internet to suggest that this German oil is sold in Germany or any other country. So is this oil sold only in Singapore? Also wanted to get feedback from people who have tried this oil over and over again and havent given up after a single use. Anybody?

May '10 - Jun '11 : Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTSi UG2

Jul '11 - Jan '12 : Honda Phantom TA200

Feb '12 - Jul '12 : Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTSi UG3

Aug '12 - Current : Bajaj Pulsar 200 DTSi

I made some inquiries in a certain international automotive website on Chex 9000 and can confirm it's not sold in Germany. It appears to be an imported German product that is rebranded for local consumption. There is a hint somewhere - OWS, another "German" motorcycle oil, uses the exact same bottle according to some pictures I've seen.

There might not be anything bad about this as apparently petrol too is shipped "generic" - it's only branded once the additive packages are added by Shell, Mobil, SPC etc, and that's done in the respective companies' tankers when they fill up at the pumping station.

Ever since I started my kopitiam engineering projects on my bike it is not able to accept common EOs such as Castrol, Motul, etc * but Chex appears to provide not only far superior high temperature protection but gives me the option of very long oil change intervals. That is one good oil!

I don't care how expensive or feature-rich some other oils are - the $16 one is perfect :)

* - I can destroy Motul engine oil in under 700kms. Beat that :D

I was quiet intrigued after reading so many good reviews about Chessa Chex 9000. I tried to find more information on Chessa. They seem to have just a single website based in Singapore http://www.Chessa.com.sg and no German or any other website. Also couldnt find any details on the constitution of the Engine oil like is it Hydrocracked, PAO or Ester based. Anybody has these details?

Also no info on the internet to suggest that this German oil is sold in Germany or any other country. So is this oil sold only in Singapore? Also wanted to get feedback from people who have tried this oil over and over again and havent given up after a single use. Anybody?

Bro here is another website abt Chessa.

http://www.redz-oil.com/index.htm

Not much onfo though. Got address and their contact. Maybe you could try email them?

History n Present ride

Nov '00 till Dec '00 - Aprilia RS 125cc 1 Mth

Dec '00 till Oct '05- Yamaha RXZ Delux 135cc 4 Years 11Mths

Feb '04 till Dec '09 - Honda Wave-S 125cc 5 Years 10Mths

Dec '09 till Sept '12 - Yamaha FZ150i 2 Years 9Mths

Sept 12 till Aug '19 - Yamaha Spark 135 RX 6 Years 11Mths

Aug '19 till Present - Honda CB125F

Also wanted to get feedback from people who have tried this oil over and over again and havent given up after a single use.

Heres my oil usage log for my rebuilt little thai chopper:

Break in - first 3,000kms, 500km OCI

Castrol 10W40 -> Light duty only - will not protect the engine well at high revs and >90kph speed

My Phantom Knights convoy days

Motul (various series) -> Nice engine sound and smoothness but crap oil life (sorry Motul fans!)

Kopitiam Engineering days (present day included)

Chex 9000 - > I didn't know a Phantom can become a 10,000rpm backroad attack machine but with a good synthetic oil like Chex I can run on very high power settings all day, maintain or exceed 40km/l fuel economy and the oil does not degrade under stress or when running extended OCIs. I can't test the absolute long-running potential for this oil as I don't have an oil filter this bike.

I must have been using Chex for over 15,000 of my 20,000kms of mileage this year and I was able to toss out all Phantom maintenence recommendations out of the window. It's apparently supposed to be serviced every 5,000kms. I can't be bothered cos everything is still tight as day one.

I don't get -

- Exploding cam chains (myth: busted)

- Excessive oil consumption (busted again)

- Siezed pistons under extreme engine loads or lean burning setups (that's where the magical fuel economy comes from)

just wish chex have a 10w40 isn't it? hehe...

went to adjust my chain today. the mech make it look sooooo easy. he did it in a min. at least i learn something today.

also got a weak looking disc lock @ $16. i know a much cheaper pad lock would have done better. i got it because it small/light to carry around and looked cool. obviously such device can't deter professional thief. or i should have say no locking device can deter professional thief. it just something extra there hopefully they will get the guy next door :p

Thanks a lot Kalyan, that really helps. So chex will be my next oil. Also I had a look at the pic of OWS engine oil bottle, it is identical to the Chex bottle. You have excellent detective skills, hehehe

just wish chex have a 10w40 isn't it? hehe...

went to adjust my chain today. the mech make it look sooooo easy. he did it in a min. at least i learn something today.

also got a weak looking disc lock @ $16. i know a much cheaper pad lock would have done better. i got it because it small/light to carry around and looked cool. obviously such device can't deter professional thief. or i should have say no locking device can deter professional thief. it just something extra there hopefully they will get the guy next door :p

If you are looking for XXW40 oil, you can try Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic oil. It is widely used and recommended by Bajaj Pulsar riders. I believe its available at LAB for 18$. I personally prefer thicker 50 grade oil for my pulsar.

Cheers!