SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Product : Engine Oil Discussion

ypvs

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear -everything- can be recommended!

Use whatever works (inspect the oil can for the API rating, JASO specs, etc!)

Judge by cost vs rating or go by net / word of mouth recommendations don't matter, you'll have an arsenal of engine running knowledge (and recommendations to give) as you ride lol.

Lol... Sounds like frustration with everyone sayings this oil that oil is the best....

I agree with Kalyan....

Best is to try all the oil in the market.:angel:

My Wee.... My Journey.... My Adventure....

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab262/mafitra/shukor_fhdrMedium.jpg

VSTROM SINGAPORE

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=125329690831574&v=photos#!/group.php?gid=125329690831574&ref=ts

• 3 weeks later...
im using amsoil... nice to me... very nice...

RP vs AMSoil

which is better?

Of course Amsoil is better. It is PAO 100%. RP i dun know if it is PAO.

My preference Amsoil than RP.

History n Present ride

Nov '00 till Dec '00 - Aprilia RS 125cc 1 Mth

Dec '00 till Oct '05- Yamaha RXZ Delux 135cc 4 Years 11Mths

Feb '04 till Dec '09 - Honda Wave-S 125cc 5 Years 10Mths

Dec '09 till Sept '12 - Yamaha FZ150i 2 Years 9Mths

Sept 12 till Aug '19 - Yamaha Spark 135 RX 6 Years 11Mths

Aug '19 till Present - Honda CB125F

• 2 weeks later...

A Tale of Cheap Synthetic Oil vs Expensive Mineral Oil

Once upon a time, a rural time attack sent a stone crashing into my oil drain screw thing which started leaking slowly. So slowly, I didn't fix it until I could take time off work (the office one, not the show-the-ladies-to-Neo-Tiew one).

I topped off the oil with Castrol 10W40 a couple times a week (wasn't a bad leak) and being the typical kitten who lazes on pillows all day, sort of lived with the leak. I pretend not to see the huge oil stains on the parking lots.

Eventually, the engine started sounding rough, produced less power, and I had to really whack the throttle to get the proper roaring tiger DIY tuned exhaust note to come out. And yes I check EO levels daily. Castrol is that crappy.

My red-string-across-windscreen vibration indicator reported significant vibrations when idling and valve tappet sounds could be heard during acceleration.

Needless to say, Castrol 10W40 deserves the label of epic fail, and at $10-12 a bottle at some mototiams, not cheap. Properly crap oil costs $3/litre at LAB!

So one day I actually rushed down to Planet after work and Dr Chong was in the mood for some late night shady business so I got the leak fixed (just change the cover and viola, no leak), along with other things like destroyed wheel bearings, utterly devastated brake pads etc etc... (destroying parts from heavy use is fun)

Oil was changed to 10W50 Chex ($16) and immediately....

1. Idling is almost silent. No vibrations at all. Almost feels like a 2 stroke, not a 8 yr old single banger with lots of DIY crap stuck on it.

2. Big fun sound, with immediate pickup

3. Cruise at 90kph with minimal throttle

4. Better FC, due to reduced lubrication drag

5. Far superior cold start protection

6. No valve noises

Therefore, price does not dictate oil quality.

For instance, Motul synthetics cost much much more than Chex 9000, but they're not as smooth, and tends to evaporate after a session of full-throttle high temperature work.

i using e cheapest package,by unique

$15 wif spark plug

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/lotand/IMG_1124.jpg

Ride Defensively; always.

Class BB2BDC - 11AUG2010

Kawasaki KIPS -> 2010 ~ 2014

Aprilia RS125(09) -> 2014 ~ 2017

Class BB2ADC - NOV2016

Suzuki DRZ -> 2017 ~ 2018

Honda Revo -> 2018 ~

• 3 weeks later...

Bro Kalyan the Castrol 10w40 with the Thai writings at the bottle cannot make it la. The worst engine oil i used so far. Last time I got use Castrol 15W40 Power1 semi before. This one not bad. Nice.

History n Present ride

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

My Bike is Bajaj Pulsar 180. I have noticed that the EO level starts reducing in my bike after 1.3k-1.5k kms. Initially when I fill oil it is between the min/max marks. But after 1.5k it goes below the min mark and around 2k it goes almost below the bottom of the dipstick.

I used Putoline semi synthetic 1st time and next time I used Bardahl Mineral. I know these are unknown brands and may be the quality of EO is bad. I dont see any leaks from the bike.

My bike has done 35k kms. Is it normal for the bike to consume oil? Should I try a trusted brand fully synthetic like Motul/Chex/Maxima? Will the solve the issue or am I in for an Engine overhaul ? :confused:

May '10 - Jun '11 : Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTSi UG2

Jul '11 - Jan '12 : Honda Phantom TA200

Feb '12 - Jul '12 : Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTSi UG3

Aug '12 - Current : Bajaj Pulsar 200 DTSi

Hi All,

My Bike is Bajaj Pulsar 180. I have noticed that the EO level starts reducing in my bike after 1.3k-1.5k kms. Initially when I fill oil it is between the min/max marks. But after 1.5k it goes below the min mark and around 2k it goes almost below the bottom of the dipstick.

I used Putoline semi synthetic 1st time and next time I used Bardahl Mineral. I know these are unknown brands and may be the quality of EO is bad. I dont see any leaks from the bike.

My bike has done 35k kms. Is it normal for the bike to consume oil? Should I try a trusted brand fully synthetic like Motul/Chex/Maxima? Will the solve the issue or am I in for an Engine overhaul ? :confused:

Why not u try to change engine oil first and see how it goes? If everything is smooth as per normal back then i think it is just your engine oil worn out already and need a change. That's all.

I tried Bardahl before. Very smooth but i don't like it. Cannot last long. Very fast turns rough.

History n Present ride

Thanks RXZ, I go regularly to JB to top up fuel. I was wondering whether Engine oil is cheaper in JB? Does anybody know what the price difference is b/w SG and JB? Especially for quality oils like Motul 300V. Motul 300V is about $28 here. If I can get it in JB for say 40RM I dont mind going there to get it.:cheeky:

JB engine oil is much ex than in s'pore. U can try other brand like Motorex,belray, Maxima which is about $22 for a bottle. Motul too ex now. Motul 5100 semi-synthetic can use and also not bad if u change engine oil more often like 3km-4km. Some not so good quality engine oil tend to break down faster and evaporate off due to our super hot weather and bike will heat up more easily (stop and go traffic in s'pore) . If your engine still smooth after change new engine oil, then it should be ok. Listen to any unusual noises from your engine( engine no power,no top speed, very rough and noisy then time to overhaul)

Thanks superspeed. I am planning to get chex 9000. 10w50. It has got good reviews here and also cheaper. Both planet and unique selling for 16$.Somebody mentioned that they got it for 14$. Does anybody know any other place to get it for 14$ preferably in the east side?

Thanks RXZ, I go regularly to JB to top up fuel. I was wondering whether Engine oil is cheaper in JB? Does anybody know what the price difference is b/w SG and JB? Especially for quality oils like Motul 300V. Motul 300V is about $28 here. If I can get it in JB for say 40RM I dont mind going there to get it.:cheeky:

Hi bro revhappy. If u're going for FULLY synthetic u can forget abt JOHOR. In JOHOR fully synthetics are EXPENSIVe. If u go for SEMI Syn i think is still ok.

I have change before in JOHOR NASA CL 20W50 Semi syn cost me RM$28 only. Not too bad la ard $12.20 like that.

History n Present ride

I just came back from JB. I filled Motul 5100 15W50. Cost me 42RM about 18S$. The bike is now very smooth. I will see how long this lasts on my bike. May be will try Chex 9000 next time.

RXZ, I saw Nasa there but it was not JASO MA, looked little different from other branded oils so didnt want to take a risk.

I just came back from JB. I filled Motul 5100 15W50. Cost me 42RM about 18S$. The bike is now very smooth. I will see how long this lasts on my bike. May be will try Chex 9000 next time.

RXZ, I saw Nasa there but it was not JASO MA, looked little different from other branded oils so didnt want to take a risk.

Motul5100 15W50 for SGD$18? That is expensive. In SGP it is only SGD$16 bro? Never mind la u bought it already also. It's ok then.

History n Present ride

My favourite motor oil for extreme Phantom performance tuning :D Does not vaporise under high temperature conditions = zero consumption. That means I can run super lean fuel mixtures in proper Japanese fashion :p

Also My FAVOURITE One la bro Chessa 9000 10W50 for my FZ150i. Top of the list. I simply love it.

History n Present ride

Motul5100 15W50 for SGD$18? That is expensive. In SGP it is only SGD$16 bro? Never mind la u bought it already also. It's ok then.

Yeah, I had already planned to go to JB to fuel up and on the way the ride was very harsh as the EO quality had really deteriorated. So even though it was not cheap, I felt better to change when I was there instead of delaying and damaging the bike. Next time I will change only is SG. Motul 5100 is a very popular EO after Motul 300V so if it 16$ in SG then its a really good VFM. Of Course Chex 9000 is there and I will try it next time.:thumb:

For those of you who are interested in EO price I found this link HKL website:

http://www.teamhklracing.com/hklProducts.aspx?productType=%27motoroil%27