SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Product : Engine Oil Discussion

ypvs

actually the more i read about engine oil and UOA(Used Oil Analysis), choosing an oil is not that hard. if you want to change at a longer OCI, get a better EO. If you want to change at a shorter OCI, just get cheaper ones. Most likely the protection level will more or less equal with a daily communting riding style/stock engine.

As for expensive EO with short OCI, most likely it will be a waste of money unless your ride is pretty old school in design / age. However, if the rider enjoy pushing the bike at it max most of the time, better protection is more worthy. any repute brand like Amsoil, Redline, Motul, Mobil etc etc will do just fine.

I not a big fan of using “feeling” to judge how the EO performance. Even yesterday can feel different from today according to our “mind eye”. It is useful but just not accurate. Even with UOA, the result is all over the map.

with a proper servicing schdule your bike most likely can outlast the COE so no point sweating over the details. with the COE going north, it might not be worth renewing it. in the good old days the cost is just 1 or 2 figure sum. now it already hanging near 2k. haiz... more good years ahead???

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with the COE going north, it might not be worth renewing it. in the good old days the cost is just 1 or 2 figure sum. now it already hanging near 2k. haiz... more good years ahead???

2k is still not bad bro,It is just 10-25% of the bike price. Compare that to a car where it can be more than 25-50% of the car price. Best thing to do is always buy a used bike that is about 4-5 yrs old and then scrap it after 4-5 yrs minimal loss of money.

May '10 - Jun '11 : Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTSi UG2

Jul '11 - Jan '12 : Honda Phantom TA200

Feb '12 - Jul '12 : Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTSi UG3

Aug '12 - Current : Bajaj Pulsar 200 DTSi

2k is still not bad bro,It is just 10-25% of the bike price. Compare that to a car where it can be more than 25-50% of the car price. Best thing to do is always buy a used bike that is about 4-5 yrs old and then scrap it after 4-5 yrs minimal loss of money.

haiz... in the year to come i think we can only afford electric bicycle.

with a proper servicing schdule your bike most likely can outlast the COE so no point sweating over the details. with the COE going north, it might not be worth renewing it. in the good old days the cost is just 1 or 2 figure sum. now it already hanging near 2k. haiz... more good years ahead??? with a proper servicing schdule your bike most likely can outlast the COE so no point sweating over the details. with the COE going north, it might not be worth renewing it. in the good old days the cost is just 1 or 2 figure sum. now it already hanging near 2k. haiz... more good years ahead???

If you're curious about the durability of older 2B bikes, some Phantom riders in Thailand have been running straight 40-grade oil for over a 100,000kms with no issues.

While the modern "w" ratings as "winter" are not applicable to our climate, the W still certifies the product as a modern detergent motor oil. Straight 40 is the type of thing you might use in a .... lawn mower?

judge how the EO performance

Lol, depends on individual I guess. The 3-4 brands I tried do give a definitely big audible and performance difference on the scrapyard bike. Possibly because it's a scrapyard bike and it is so noisy, you can literally hear when certain brands of oil start losing it. The smoothness of gear changes is another indicator of oil quality, again, this is a model specific quirk where Castrol is clunky and synthetic is silken tofu.

Then the other day I test rode an Fz150i and.... couldn't feel anything to judge the engine's running onditions, it has a much more refined ride quality and a computer under the seat. Much more new school :D

Motul 5100 in my bike, bajaj pulsar 180, has done about 3000 kms still feels so smooth that I cannot decide to change the oil now or wait till 5k. My bike doesn't have oil filter so i guess its better to change the oil now.

but motul tends to cost more bro.

if i am not wrong, it is the most expensive engine oil out there. Motul 300V average about $33 per bottle. i doubt i will use something this expensive.

i have a friend that swear by motul 300V. he change his engine oil only every 10,000km for his Yamaha Spark for the past 4years. he mentioned he need to top up the EO every now and then. run his spark average 120-130km/h on the high way. his bike is pretty high mileage. no arguement on the quality of Motul here.

personally i not a big fan of pushing the engine oil so far. even if the engine oil does not shear out of viscocity or break down, there might be too much dirt and soot in the oil that clog up the filter. even with a very good oil, at most i will push a thousand or 2 from the recommended oil change interval.

i just brought a bottle of carlube from carrfour for $9.95. planning to change my oil after another 1,000plus kilometer to test it quality. but with my gentle riding style, i quite sure it will hold up. if the oil is fine, i will just use carlube. if it does not, at least my engine will smell nice. stawberry smell engine oil anyone? hahaha... will get at least 3 bottles if i decide to keep using it so i can use my POSB everyday card for a further 5% discount. yeah i know... cheapo here :p

Is Agip a gd oil?

I am using AGIP TEC 15W50 now. Pretty satisfied with the oil. So far i am very satisfied with the quality iTalian made products.

My opinion is Italy make the best racing bike like Aprilia but not the best transport bike for commuting.

Try the Agip for yourself and experience it.

Own experience is a better experience than just hear say hear say.

History n Present ride

Nov '00 till Dec '00 - Aprilia RS 125cc 1 Mth

Dec '00 till Oct '05- Yamaha RXZ Delux 135cc 4 Years 11Mths

Feb '04 till Dec '09 - Honda Wave-S 125cc 5 Years 10Mths

Dec '09 till Sept '12 - Yamaha FZ150i 2 Years 9Mths

Sept 12 till Aug '19 - Yamaha Spark 135 RX 6 Years 11Mths

Aug '19 till Present - Honda CB125F

if i am not wrong, it is the most expensive engine oil out there. Motul 300V average about $33 per bottle. i doubt i will use something this expensive.

i have a friend that swear by motul 300V. he change his engine oil only every 10,000km for his Yamaha Spark for the past 4years. he mentioned he need to top up the EO every now and then. run his spark average 120-130km/h on the high way. his bike is pretty high mileage. no arguement on the quality of Motul here.

personally i not a big fan of pushing the engine oil so far. even if the engine oil does not shear out of viscocity or break down, there might be too much dirt and soot in the oil that clog up the filter. even with a very good oil, at most i will push a thousand or 2 from the recommended oil change interval.

i just brought a bottle of carlube from carrfour for $9.95. planning to change my oil after another 1,000plus kilometer to test it quality. but with my gentle riding style, i quite sure it will hold up. if the oil is fine, i will just use carlube. if it does not, at least my engine will smell nice. stawberry smell engine oil anyone? hahaha... will get at least 3 bottles if i decide to keep using it so i can use my POSB everyday card for a further 5% discount. yeah i know... cheapo here :p

Wah the motul 300V now cost $33 per bottle? Wow. That is expensive bro. I won't be using that.

History n Present ride

Nov '00 till Dec '00 - Aprilia RS 125cc 1 Mth

Dec '00 till Oct '05- Yamaha RXZ Delux 135cc 4 Years 11Mths

Feb '04 till Dec '09 - Honda Wave-S 125cc 5 Years 10Mths

Dec '09 till Sept '12 - Yamaha FZ150i 2 Years 9Mths

Sept 12 till Aug '19 - Yamaha Spark 135 RX 6 Years 11Mths

Aug '19 till Present - Honda CB125F

Wah. the price of the 300v gone up a lot man. used to be around 28+ per bottle.

im not too sure about carlube for bikes. but i do know that theres quite a lot of people, including myself are using it for cars. no problems to report yet. heard that its quite a popular oil in the UK. so i think its reliability should be alright.

should you decide to use. maybe you can shorten you OCI a bit. i mean since its quite cheap i think you probably can afford to do so. nothing beats fresh oil in the engine.

the 300v is an ester based oil which are group V oils. known to withstand high operating temperatures in the marine industry

When touring, its usually the rider that give way first before the bike itself.

got box got tour.

Car's engines dont demand too much from the Engine Oil. As cars run at much lower RPM(3-5k RPM?) They have excellent oil filters and also a huge oil sump. Whereas bikes are more demanding. Especially the 2B bikes without oil filters and running at 7-8k rpm and also need to lubricate the clutch.

So cheapo oil in cars may not make much difference. How often do we hear that car engines got overhauled? Almost never.But bikes sometimes even 30K kms need overhauling.

Car's engines dont demand too much from the Engine Oil. As cars run at much lower RPM(3-5k RPM?) They have excellent oil filters and also a huge oil sump. Whereas bikes are more demanding. Especially the 2B bikes without oil filters and running at 7-8k rpm and also need to lubricate the clutch.

So cheapo oil in cars may not make much difference. How often do we hear that car engines got overhauled? Almost never.But bikes sometimes even 30K kms need overhauling.

you are right man. i haven't considered this

When touring, its usually the rider that give way first before the bike itself.

got box got tour.

reading all the recent good reviews and feedback from the chex 9000, i have decided to ditch motul 300V for it. who is selling them cheaper? unique or planet?

Kawasaki 150ZX ::Rusty:: 2005-2010

Honda CB400 Revo ::BlackBeauty:: 2010-20XX

-------------

|Biologic iPhone Mount|Stebel Nautilus Horn|K&N Air Filter|

|Ah Pek's Grounding Wire|DIY 5V USB Port|Scorpio SR-i900|

|DIY Secondary Strobe Brake Leds|

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg697/scaled.php?tn=0&server=697&filename=pf6.png&xsize=640&ysize=640

reading all the recent good reviews and feedback from the chex 900 0, i have decided to ditch motul 300V for it. who is selling them cheaper? unique or planet?

I think both selling for same price. 16$