SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

STREET SMART

Spectrum

About the Video Clip:

Endless is sure Very Patient Staying in his Lane while the rest of the bikes

are filtering thru the traffic.

:thumb:

Nothing Wrong with Both Styles of Riding.

What's important is u must be comfortable to handle any emergencies.

Between Lanes(Filtering): U must be a turk said... about 10% or 20% faster

than the traffic u are overtaking.

U must be in the "Filtering Mode" Cos' the time to react are shorter with

the traffic all up close. Eg. Hands all ready for the brakes or horn.

And Be alert to Vehicle changing lanes - come a space in the faster moving lane.

As for Lane Positioning:

Lane 1 - Keeping to center and away from the center divider will give u precious space if u drop...

Eg. just that little bit more to avoid hitting the barriers.

:cool:

The video Clip on the Second Bike:

Letting cars over take u while riding on the lines is a No-no!

There is a big difference overtaking & being overtaken...

Especially when cars zoom pass in close proximity.

When u are overtaking... u have control of the situation.

Lane Positioning:

What Endless did by being in the center of the lane is good.

That prevents this guy Ivan pushing him off the lane.

Belief me... there are quite a few instances where cars does that.

That is something I do not take kindly to...

Touch your bike & u're on the floor.

o_O

It is always courteous to highbeam or beep to let the guy move aside.

(or signal right on malaysian highways)

Be it car or bike... at whatever speed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/2100spectrum/logo/Signature23.jpg

Home of the Hornets

Street Smart

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case you don't already know, the Hornet's Nest/Motor-V Pagoh Challenge 2007 was featured in the current issue (issue #6) of Singapore's local bike magazine, Motor Culture.

Magazine Cover

http://www.picturesky.com/albums/userpics/11669/normal_MagCover.jpg

Page 1

http://www.picturesky.com/albums/userpics/11669/normal_P1_BlackedOut.JPG

The article was written by me. :angel:

Page 2

http://www.picturesky.com/albums/userpics/11669/normal_P2_BlackedOut.JPG

Page 3

http://www.picturesky.com/albums/userpics/11669/normal_P3_BlackedOut.JPG

Well, if that alone is not enough to attract you to buy the magazine, how about these biking babes that you can find in this issue... :thumb:

http://www.picturesky.com/albums/userpics/11669/CherryB~0.JPG

:lovestruck:

http://www.picturesky.com/albums/userpics/11669/CherryA~0.JPG

:lovestruck:

http://www.picturesky.com/albums/userpics/11669/SunGlass~0.JPG

Well, what are you waiting for?

Go get this issue now before it runs out of stock. Available at petrol kiosks (except Shell) and most magazine shops/retailers. $2 only.

29 Mar:

2009 Yamaha FZ1 Fazer Owner's Review

loudexhaust.blogspot.com

www.RiderAsia.com Safety site for motorcycle riders

http://www.picturesky.com/albums/userpics/11669/CherryA~0.JPG

hahaha.. she looks realli gd in dis picture.. dun u think so.. nice hair n damn tat killer smile.. lolz :D anyway guys.. no use rememberin the no plate cos she oredi sold her cbr.. for another.. eh 07 cbr.. lolz :lol:

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/wayangxjr/contrast_siggy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All. I am new in writting here, but not so in benefitting from here. It's a great job that you all contribute and it helps to dispel fears, uncertainties about ridding bikes on Sg roads. I wil be (hopefully) getting my TP test soon and legally ride a bike (not that I hade been ridding illegalyo_O ). Its very comforting to get this large library of contribution and above all its FREE:cheeky: . You guys really are a great community which I would be honored and lucky to be part off. Keep up the great work:thumb:

I just love the looks, feel and sound of an old good Guzzi, though it has been around since the time of my Grandfather. I guess "they" don't do things like that anymore! Well it's not true.

"They" still do URALS

Hi folks,

I'm passing a message from TP Safety CO Simon.

There has been an unusally high number of accidents involving motorcycles in the last few days.

There are accidents that involved the motorcycles colliding with cars, as well as motorcycles who self-skidded.

Those motorcycle accidents over the last few days are mostly class2B and new riders.

Keeping ourselves safe is our own responsibility. New and seasoned motorcyclists alike, please be more alert, be more aware, anticipate the traffic when you ride on the roads:thumb:

29 Mar:

loudexhaust.blogspot.com

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/2100spectrum/Street%20Smart/StreetSmart165.jpg

Street Smart Tip of the Day #165

Wet days means a little more distance would give us so much

more stopping distance.

There had been too many reports on the paper concering

Bikers losing control of their bikes and crashing on our highways.

Following the traffic with the same space as the cars may not

Give us enough stopping distance if the car in front decides to hit his brakes hard.

For whatever reason.

More so if the roads are wet.

Put in that little bit more space will mean plenty when someone

E Brake in front of u.

Home of the Hornets

Street Smart

Hi All. I am new in writting here, but not so in benefitting from here. It's a great job that you all contribute and it helps to dispel fears, uncertainties about ridding bikes on Sg roads. I wil be (hopefully) getting my TP test soon and legally ride a bike (not that I hade been ridding illegalyo_O ). Its very comforting to get this large library of contribution and above all its FREE:cheeky: . You guys really are a great community which I would be honored and lucky to be part off. Keep up the great work:thumb:

Mamdud,

Thks for your Kind Comments.

All the Best for your riding test.

And remember...

When u ride the roads after u pass...

Ride with an attitude that will protect u & your pillon from Injuries..

Home of the Hornets

Street Smart

Following are some very good advice extracted from Motorcycle Roadcraft: The Police Rider's Handbook:

Traffic Accidents

Most riders thank they are both safer and more skilful than the average rider---but we cannot be all right!

In more than 90% of traffic accidents, human error is the cause; accidents do not just happen by chance, they are the consequence of unsafe riding practices.

Resistance to learning from experience

Facts show that we are not very good at learning from experience.

Most riders involved in an accident do not accept that they contributed to it.

If you think that you did not help to cause an accident, you will also think that yo have nothing to learn from it and your riding technqiue, together with any faults that contributed to the accident, will remain unchanged.

To become a better rider, we have to recognise the resistance in ourselves to accepting responsibility, and take steps to overcome it.

The first step is to recognise that we all have a resistance to learning.

Once we have learnt to do something routinely, we are very reluctant to alter that routine, whatever the evidence that it does not work.

It's not my fault. Do you think like that too?

29 Mar:

loudexhaust.blogspot.com

Some riders are consistently more at risk than others:

Riders who have had an accident in the previous three years are three times more likely than average to have an accident in the following year.

If you have an accident or near miss, you should think very carefully about what you could have done to avoid the situation. If you do not learn from you r experience, you are likely to repeat the same mistakes.

Are you one of them?

29 Mar:

loudexhaust.blogspot.com

Riding too close

Riding too close to the vehicle in front is an often repeated unsafe riding habit.

But because errors go unpunished--that is, they are not always followed by an accident--they develop into bad habits which increase the risk that one day, the rider will be involved in an accident!

Do you have such a habit?

How about any other bad riding habits?

29 Mar:

loudexhaust.blogspot.com

What makes a good rider?

Good riders have a quiet efficiency in their action and this derives from:

- A good level of concentration

- Accurate observation

- Matching the bike's speed and direction to the situation

- Awareness of the risks inherent in a particular road and traffic situation

- Acting to keep identified risks to a minimum

- Awareness of their own limitations of the bike and the road

- Skilful control of bike

- Attitudes that contribute to road safety

Do you have these qualities?

It is not simply the speed of your reactions that deterimines whether you are a safe rider, but your ability to identify and respond to hazards.

29 Mar:

loudexhaust.blogspot.com

On 1 Sep 2007 Sat, Bukit Batok Driving Centre and Traffic Police will be having a full day event.

Briefly, the program is such:

Morning till noon: Convoy ride from different locations of Singapore to BBDC at Bukit Batok

BBDC instructors will give feedback on how you can further improve your safe riding technqiues.

Noon till 5 pm: Skills Challenge

You can take part in the contests such as slalom, plank and figure 8 and win prizes.

Details such as where to meet, what is the convoy route wil be provided later.

This event is free to take part. But there are limited spaces. In total, they plan for only 150 bikes and many of those are already taken up. So if you want to take part, please PM PPlater with your bike plate no and contact no. We will go through TP to get a place for you.

29 Mar:

loudexhaust.blogspot.com

Over the course of just over a week, I seen and heard too much. Last weekend, in Port Dickson, a friend of mine a few bikes ahead of me got involved in an accident and had two hairline fractures on his ribs. Back home in Singapore after the trip on Monday, another friend passed away in a fatal accident. On Tuesday, riding to his wake, I saw the aftermath of an accident involving a Kup along PIE. On Wednesday, another accident. On Thursday, before a trip to Cameroon, Endlessloop smsed me to tell me he helped a FZ1 accident near Gelang Petah. On coming back from Cameroon, Endless smsed to tell me his friend, ANR passes away in Malaysia trunk roads. That was yesterday. Today, I saw the news of the tour bus which crashed in NSH killing and injuring more than 30. Sometimes I cherish each ride that gets me unscathed to my destination. I'm afraid to be next. Sometimes its easy to forget how vulnerable we are. Lets remind ourselves by attending this course at Bukit Batok Driving Centre. We get together and we share, and learn.

Ride safe.

P-plate should be an attitude to safety and riding. There's always more to learn.

10417710_10152885054228332_2597706433133321618_n.jpg?oh=a3e4c65165b15e5d659161c304211563&oe=54FB0965

On 1 Sep 2007 Sat, Bukit Batok Driving Centre and Traffic Police will be having a full day event.

Details such as where to meet, what is the convoy route wil be provided later.

This event is free to take part. But there are limited spaces. In total, they plan for only 150 bikes and many of those are already taken up. So if you want to take part, please PM PPlater with your bike plate no and contact no. We will go through TP to get a place for you.

Hi endless...

I had already post up the thread here :

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148205

I have only about 15 registration so far.

I have meet up with the person in charge, all space are taken up. They will be around 200+ participants in the event. !!!

The person in charge should be contacting you soon, maybe we should meet up for the final arrangement.

** Be smart, ride safely, stay legal **

Please read the << Street Smart >> thread.

Morning guys..1st of all,i wanna say a thousand thanks for bringing up this very3 useful thread!!Alot of riding knowledge had been gained here,and i am touched that there is still a handful of fellow riders that cares for other strangers(fellow riders)..Thumbs up to all of you man!!anyway,can i just check with you all something..hope anyone can be of any help..i just bought a kr last 3 days..But it seems that while riding,my bike tends to swerve,and at times when i make a lane change or breaking,i can feel that i am actually skidding slightly..I can really feel the difference on this bike compared to my previous bike.I did a check on my rear tyre,and it seems that the tyre is pumped up to the extend that it's very hard.Meaning i can't even use my thumb to apply pressure on it..I juz wanna know,is too many air being pumped inside my tyre..??or is it just because of my impression that i just got the bike,and i'm not used to it??anyone care to share info?really3 appreciate it..

http://robeastblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/jabbawockeez_red.jpg

Wa... while riding the bike tends to swerve sounds dangerous to me. Your question is better asked in Sportsbike thread, so that KR riders who experienced your problem can answer better. You need to know your reccomended tyre pressure, and its best to check using a digital air pressure gauge, if not using those petrol station ones also can do. It will be better if you will to a mech asap, since all we can do here is speculate. Better if you bring a friend along who's familiar with KR, so that he will be better to tell if the mech is trying to chop you. Reputable bike shops will be reccomended of course... or your friend's regular mech. I hope is helps.. If you've just took up biking, and like me, started out with almost no bike friends :) , you can try joining a local biking group, where plenty of people can share their knowledge about bikes, and someone must surely have rode KR before. Pm me if you're interested.

P-plate should be an attitude to safety and riding. There's always more to learn.

10417710_10152885054228332_2597706433133321618_n.jpg?oh=a3e4c65165b15e5d659161c304211563&oe=54FB0965

i just bought a kr last 3 days..But it seems that while riding,my bike tends to swerve,and at times when i make a lane change or breaking,i can feel that i am actually skidding slightly..I can really feel the difference on this bike compared to my previous bike.I did a check on my rear tyre,and it seems that the tyre is pumped up to the extend that it's very hard.Meaning i can't even use my thumb to apply pressure on it..I juz wanna know,is too many air being pumped inside my tyre..??or is it just because of my impression that i just got the bike,and i'm not used to it??anyone care to share info?really3 appreciate it..

It's kind of hard to help you to assess the physical condition of your bike over the internet. There could be many factors involved: tyre pressure as you mentioned, suspension, your braking technique, wear and tear, etc etc. My advice would be for you to bring your bike to your bike mechanice and ask the person to diagnose for you rather than try to do this over the internet. It doesn't cost you anything to ask a couple of mechanics on their opinion.

29 Mar:

loudexhaust.blogspot.com

On Corners and Bends (Public Road Riding)

Don't attempt to find your cornering limit riding on public roads

I highlighted the words Public Road. Many of us riders still like to use the public road as a convenient race track to push our bike into the higher performance envelope. Going around a corner on a public road is very different from that on a track.

On the track, the main limitation factor of how fast you can go around a corner is the amount of grip your tyre has with the tarmac.

But on the public road, the main limitation factor of how fast you can go round a corner or bend, is not grip, but sight.

Sight refers to how far you can see and how clearly you can spot hazards.

On public road, especially in Singapore and Malaysia, at the start of the bend, you rarely can have a clear view of the whole bend/corner (eg: expressway exits and entrances, roundabouts, junction split lanes). When you are unable to see the whole path through the corner, it is called a blind corner.

Lots of hazards can pop up mid-corner and catch the unweary rider with his pants down.

Eg: A broken-down car, a broken-down bike taking up your lane. An accident site.

Large tree branches that have fallen off and lie in front of your path.

Sudden traffic congestion at the end of the bend.

Road works.

On non-expressway bends, a taxi stopped by the side or U-turning.

A large cargo box that has fallen off the rear of a fast cornering lorry.

An ever-tightening corner. In another words, decreasing radius corner that forces you the need to lean lower and lower mid-corner.

These are some examples of common hazards that occur on public roads.

And are these really highly unlikely hazards or they are reasonably common events you see on the road during your every day riding?

How should you react if you suddenly see any of the above hazards appearing mid-way through the corner?

Usually, the only way out of this tricky situation is for you to be able to slow down and, possibly come to a stop before hitting the hazard.

Trying to avoid by side-stepping mid-corner is usually not an option as you might be side-stepping into another car, or into the walls or railings. In fact, we would not have enough time to adjust our body posture to lean our bike further to side-step.

You may argue that if even if you are able to stop in time mid-corner, you may be slammed from behind by other vehicles. This is over-worrying. Other vehicles may not traverse a corner as fast as you do and they can stop in time, especially when they receive the early warning of your tail brake lights. Also, there might not be even a tail-gating high-speed car trailing you to begin with. Think about you being able to stop in time first. If you can't stop in time, you would never need to worry over cars behind you.

In Singapore, the speed limit of expressway exits is 50kmh. But if you may say that, "Hey, I can go around this corner at up to 80-100kmh".

Sure, you can. That is, assuming if the corner is clear and clean.

But if you go around the corner at such speeds, and what if any of the above hazard were to appear mid-corner, would you be able to stop in time?

And mind you, E-braking while half-leaned over is really tricky. Yes, you are able to go in fast. But you can't stop in time.

You may go around your favourite corner or the same corner that you take everyday to work/school/home and nothing has ever happened for the past 10 years. But ask yourself, how many times does it take, for any of the above hazard to appear one fine day, to end your riding career or possibly your life?

This is the invisible enemy waiting to spring the surprise on you.

And on public roads, there is no run-off (like empty spaces and sand/gravel to slow down a falling bike and rider) as on a track. Ask yourself, what is on the side of expressway exits? Guard rails, lamposts and trees, often less than 1 metre from the edge of the road. You can travel as far as over 10m falling from a 50kmh bike. Hitting any of these at a mere 50kmh traversing speed has a high chance of fataility or crippling you.

Therefore, just because you find that your bike can allow you to go faster and faster around a particular corner on a public road, be discipline, control yourself. Don't do it. Regulate your speed as you enter and traverse the corner. Be prepared to be able to stop in time for mid-corner and late-corner hazards.

So don't be tempted and suckered into trying to find grip limit or max cornering speed on your bike on public roads. It is the line-of-sight that is the constraint. The grip limit may be above 100kmh but the limitation of clear sight may limit you to ride only at 50-60kmh.

So on public road/truck road corners and bends, enter and traverse them with plenty of reserve and safety margin.

29 Mar:

loudexhaust.blogspot.com

How to Keep Your Mind Focused on Riding

There are days when you find it easy to keep your mind focused on riding and there are days when your mind likes to wander to other things when you are riding. Things such as work, family, issues with spouse/girlfriend/colleague/boss/customer, you name it.

Riding and staying safe are really quite easy when we keep pur mind focused on the act of riding. Being aware, being alert, anticipating, keeping an active watch-out all comes naturally if your mind is focused on riding.

So how do you keep your mind focused on riding on those days when your mind likes to wander off?

Well, one way is to break-up a long ride into a junction-by-junction ride.

That is, at one traffic junction, you tell yourself to stay focused on getting to the next traffic junction ahead, which is a much shorter distance and more focused than say, telling yourself to stay focused from your ride from Ang Mok Kio to Shenton way.

And when you reach the traffic junction, you earlier targeted, you than focus on getting to the next traffic junction or next intermediate checkpoint.

Try it and you would it much easier to keep your mind clear off other distractions. It is a also a great way to distress and highly therapeutic. :)

29 Mar:

loudexhaust.blogspot.com

Safety Message:

It is important not to let Cool Girls on Slick Bikes distract u

From your Concentration on the Road... :)

I second to that Spectrum. I have almost became a victom to your above mentioned Safety Message.

I almost slammed my 21 year old ancient lao pok car (could be my motorcycle & me) into the wall on PIE after dunearn exit, up the flyover beside beautyworld.....after i saw this girl......

skirt flap flap flap.... so dangerous with the WHOLE leg exposed. (sorry i have to blur the image so no. plate is not visible...also if not, it will become RA)

I would like to add (IMHO) that, wearing a skirt (rider or pillion) is really not advisable when on a motorcycle.

Now I adopt the "quick glimpse" OR "bochap" method :cheeky:

DSC00574.jpg

Thank You.

Regards,

AR2 Performance

http://www.raceshield.com/images/raceshieldmotorbikekits.jpg

RACEshield URL - > http://www.raceshield.com

RACEshield FACEbook - > http://www.facebook.com/pages/RACEshield/119281238033

http://www.facebook.com/badge.php?id=119281238033&bid=5427&key=171556654&format=png&z=1394638