SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

STREET SMART

Spectrum

The Art on the Science of Stopping Motorcycles Faster

Ever wish that there was an easier way to brake a motorcycle quickly?

Ever wonder how Combined Brake System (CBS) or Linked Brake System (LBS) works?

Ever why some bike manufacturers like Honda put in CBS or LBS?

Ever wonder how ABS works with this CBS or LBS?

Well, my biking kaki Floppy, found this wonderful website:

http://www.world.honda.com/motorcycle-technology/brake/p1.html

It talks about the various braking technologies used by Honda.

It is a bit technical and cheem.

Alternatively, I have summarised and simplified the article in my blog:

http://bp1.blogger.com/_iKgbOoKOj7w/R_1uKY695ZI/AAAAAAAAA_s/vj2LjH9_ryg/s400/PtCarvsBikeBraking.JPG

Ever brake so hard and you go "Woooh!!!" and feel like you and the bike are going to flip foward?

This picture basically says that braking for motorcycles is different from that of cars. Motorcycles experience greater degrees of nosedive than cars because of higher center of gravity and shorter wheelbase.

http://bp0.blogger.com/_iKgbOoKOj7w/R_1uLI695cI/AAAAAAAABAE/_rMfIDgNip0/s400/PtDualCBS.JPG

This picture shows how Honda's dual CBS works. In short, press your foot brake, the rear brake works harder, but the front brake still works. Press your front brake lever, the front brake wors harder, but the rear brake still works. Press both front lever and foot brake, you get all the front and rear brakes work to their max.

http://bp0.blogger.com/_iKgbOoKOj7w/R_1uLI695bI/AAAAAAAAA_8/bSon95ZOzQc/s400/PtCombinedABS.JPG

Not satisfied with just putting dual CBS into their VFR, ST1300 and Blackbird, Honda added in ABS. This diagram shows how ABS sits in-between your brake controls and the brake pistons so that the ABS can jump in and smooth things out.

If you find it interesting, more on:

http://loudexhaust.blogspot.com/2008/04/art-on-science-of-stopping-motorcycles.html

29 Mar:

2009 Yamaha FZ1 Fazer Owner's Review

loudexhaust.blogspot.com

www.RiderAsia.com Safety site for motorcycle riders

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all... i am rather much a noob on this forum... although am past 30 just taking 2b now coz previously took until prac8 my company send me on overseas assignment... but anyhow. am now waiting for my 2B TP on 12 Jun '08 (any one else? ;) )

originally Yahoo'ed for 2nd hand bikes to buy whilst taking my 2b, and "stumbled" on the Street Smarts Thread. and i must say that this is the very first thread in any forum i'd ever been on that i have ever read from beginning to most recent.

I would like to give a VERY BIG THANK YOU to Bro Spectrum for starting this thread and Bro Endlessloop (realising that these 2 seem to be like the most "prominent"). The things they teach at SSDC is good for general riding, but they do not really teach you things like HOV which is like the Holy Grail of riding. Sometimes it's not you, but some one else... so in kicks the radar and constant scanning... i realised that i'd been actually practising it without realising it was even HOV :p...

e.g. during our road trips out for the road lessons and when we ride through the AMK estate, I am very very very cautious when riding past all the carpark exit/entrances. Cannot put my fingers on the brake as the instructors would let us know not to. so i always have a quick scan if there are any exiting cars, and mentally prepare myself to quick quick close throttle and relax my right hand fingers to shoot out for the brake...

once again a big fat THANK YOU to everyone for all this wonderful lesson sharing... hope to ride with you all once i pass TP :)

Grounded... :/

i know this is not really the place to place the adverts and all... so mods if think is inappropriate i apologise and pls remove accordingly.

but Bro Spectrum was talking about his wonderful S$25 "219" gloves and i actually found this on Y! SG Auctions http://sg.auctions.yahoo.com/sg/i:219%20biking%20gloves:215129782

they do have them there still in some other types. and still at a cool low price of S$25!! =)

am going to get a pair and use for my circuit / road revisions so by the time my TP test comes will be nicely broken in!

I must have missed that post by Spectrum. If these are your first pair of gloves they are certainly decent. (armoured) Good luck for the TP.

Jeezz.. I didn't know armoured gloves could come at this price. :slapforehead:

P-plate should be an attitude to safety and riding. There's always more to learn.

10417710_10152885054228332_2597706433133321618_n.jpg?oh=a3e4c65165b15e5d659161c304211563&oe=54FB0965

I must have missed that post by Spectrum. If these are your first pair of gloves they are certainly decent. (armoured) Good luck for the TP.

Jeezz.. I didn't know armoured gloves could come at this price. :slapforehead:

yeah bro... i just went down today after work. bought 2 pairs coz was onli quoted S$15/pr!!! it's not reali armoured but more like stiff plastic/rubbery type mat'l...

if you interested can lemme know dun mind letting one go to you... i bought size M. fits my hands just about nice.

*sigh* would so love to join the HOV course, but not cleared my TP yet...

hope to catch the next one after i clear TP =)

Well, my biking kaki Floppy, found this wonderful website:

http://www.world.honda.com/motorcycle-technology/brake/p1.html

It talks about the various braking technologies used by Honda.

It is a bit technical and cheem.

Alternatively, I have summarised and simplified the article in my blog:

http://bp1.blogger.com/_iKgbOoKOj7w/R_1uKY695ZI/AAAAAAAAA_s/vj2LjH9_ryg/s400/PtCarvsBikeBraking.JPG

Ever brake so hard and you go "Woooh!!!" and feel like you and the bike are going to flip foward?

This picture basically says that braking for motorcycles is different from that of cars. Motorcycles experience greater degrees of nosedive than cars because of higher center of gravity and shorter wheelbase.

http://bp0.blogger.com/_iKgbOoKOj7w/R_1uLI695cI/AAAAAAAABAE/_rMfIDgNip0/s400/PtDualCBS.JPG

This picture shows how Honda's dual CBS works. In short, press your foot brake, the rear brake works harder, but the front brake still works. Press your front brake lever, the front brake wors harder, but the rear brake still works. Press both front lever and foot brake, you get all the front and rear brakes work to their max.

http://bp0.blogger.com/_iKgbOoKOj7w/R_1uLI695bI/AAAAAAAAA_8/bSon95ZOzQc/s400/PtCombinedABS.JPG

Not satisfied with just putting dual CBS into their VFR, ST1300 and Blackbird, Honda added in ABS. This diagram shows how ABS sits in-between your brake controls and the brake pistons so that the ABS can jump in and smooth things out.

If you find it interesting, more on:

http://loudexhaust.blogspot.com/2008/04/art-on-science-of-stopping-motorcycles.html

whatever we do, dun brake suddenly when a truck is just behind u. see below what happens.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/tt6389/Temp%20stuff/th_bikeaccident.jpg :sian:

John 15:7 (New International Version)

7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

-- it's true & it really works for me. :)

whatever we do, dun brake suddenly when a truck is just behind u. see below what happens.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/tt6389/Temp%20stuff/th_bikeaccident.jpg :sian:

It is important to have Space Infront & Behind U.

U will never know when u need to brake hard.

:giddy:

The Space Infront is for U to avoid the Vehicle In front!

The Space Behind Is for the Vehicle behind to avoid U!

How often u read on Strait Times

that bikers lost control of thier bikes on the highways

And get run down by the cars behind.

- On of the main reason of losing control is a SKID

The cause of the SKID is hitting the brake hard

to avoid a vehicle slowing down fast in front!

:p

Cars stop better on 4 wheels..

We need a little more space than the usual space between traffic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/2100spectrum/StreetSmart28.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/2100spectrum/logo/Signature23.jpg

Home of the Hornets

Street Smart

Wow, i've finally read till the last page and finally am able to post up to date.

I've been reading since the beginning of this week. Really appreciate the contributions of all those in this thread especially Spectrum and endless, and some others like DenDen, pplater. Although i've yet to pass my TP, which is on 14th may, i've learnt a great deal from reading all the tips and experiences of everyone here. Kudos to all and may all of us ride safe.

Wow, i've finally read till the last page and finally am able to post up to date.

I've been reading since the beginning of this week. Really appreciate the contributions of all those in this thread especially Spectrum and endless, and some others like DenDen, pplater. Although i've yet to pass my TP, which is on 14th may, i've learnt a great deal from reading all the tips and experiences of everyone here. Kudos to all and may all of us ride safe.

you're welcome. Enjoy the ride :smile:

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/414133.png

Just want to tap the brains of the bright minds here. Why don't driving centres and TP teach lane positioning in Singapore? Lane positioning is quite a big part of safety riding emphasis in North America.

The basic idea is a "blocking" position, where you keep to the right of the slow lane so that cars on the middle lane can see you clearly, and you keep to the left of the fast lane, so that cars on the middle lane can see you clearly.

If you're in the middle lane, or slow lane with merging acceleration lanes, you have hazards approaching from both right and left. Some people advocate keeping to the centre of lane, some people advocate staying on the right of the lane, because car drivers are on the ride side of their cars here.

Lane positioning is not lane splitting. It is adopting a position in line with either the driver or front passenger position of a virtual car occupying the lane. It allows you to lane split in case of an emergency, and allows you to peek to the side of tall vehicles to see the traffic condition ahead.

I understand that this is a contentious issue with differing opinions to whether it is better to adopt a blocking position or to keep as far away from hazards to give yourself time to react.

Example of a website with what I am talking about: Please note that it is for North America, so flip all the diagrams and descriptions around.

http://www.motorcyclebasics.com/lanes.htm

This all sounds logical to me. I ride a bicycle on the road and believe in taking an assertive position, where possible, so that cars will not share my lane. Is it because of the natural tendency to lane-split that the TP want to avoid all that by simply asking everyone to ride in the middle of the lane? I can't think of why else the TP/driving centres do not promote some kind of lane position/blocking position habit in riders.

Arsie, thanks for sharing on the lane blocking position idea. :thumb:

Motorcycling safety is really a collection of practices and guidelines. There is no absolutely one best way most of the time. So I think what you have shared definitely adds value here. :thumb:

I have also followed up and read the website you put. I think within the concept, there are several principles that I like, personally. That is, to position your bike on the road to clearly communicate to drivers around you that, this is my box of space. The concept is based on a rider who is very active in keeping a look out in front and wants to stretch every advantage possible to see further. And to apply this concept, you need a rider who is actively thinking when he/she is riding, and reading surrounding traffic as well as terrain--eg: the road surface for debris.

Personally, I do pay attention to my position within the lane and I do not always ride in the middle of the lane. I may go-off center to get better view, terrain, sharp bends, an extremely lane-biased driver on the lane beside me, etc.

While I think the lane blocking position is sound, I just want to share somethings to beware when riding off-center in Singapore. In the US expressway/highway, one lane just accomodates the width of a sedan car. Here in singapore, surprisingly, most of the expressway lanes are easily about 1.5 times or more the breadth of a car. So, when you ride biased to one side of the lane, be careful not to ride too far off-center. Or else, you might invite the car driver behind you to overtake you by slipping past you within the same lane. It is especially tempting to the driver behind to do so if you are not riding on-par with the traffic up ahead. And recognise that in urban singapore, people are rushing for time and are impatient. So, just be careful not to ride too far off-center.

Lane-blocking position concept is interesting, useful and to be considered as part of one's safety riding arsenal.

Why TP and riding center don't teach lane-blocking position? I can only speculate.:p

I worked with TP and I understand that thinking. They are ultimately, the enforcement arm of the singapore law on the road. As such, the singapore tp is very mindful of preaching opinions or ideas that are not clearly defined in the law or within the books, or else, they might kena criticised by the singapore public which is very good at complaining. You can imagine the flood of ideas, complains and queries into the straits time forum once TP say you should ride and drive, to one side of the lane. So as for now, I can understand if the TP would not want to open a can of worms.

For riding school, they are really targeted at beginners who just started out learning to operate motorcycles. Imagine when you are back to your riding school day, when you are still trying to cope with remembering to clutch in, change to which gear, check blind spot, the instructor then tells you to ride to one side of the lane...Either the students cannot remember, the students will misunderstand the idea or the instructors have too little time to explain the idea because the students just want to skip all the theories, get on with the practical, pass and get their license.

In cooperate into class2A and class2 lessons is a possible idea. Good work Arsie:thumb:

29 Mar:

loudexhaust.blogspot.com

The Canadian road culture for motorcycle lane positioning is simple. The rider ride directly behind the driver seat of the car in front. So the rider's left elbow is just to the right side of the centre mark of the lane in Singapore context.

The very simple reason is this, that is the only position in a lane that is equal in distance to the drivers position of cars in the lanes both left and right to the lane that the rider is in. So the motorcycle is equally visible to drivers in the lanes to both is sides.

But yeah, I believe road culture also makes a difference. Taking an unorthodox position might be deemed by crazy motorists as a provocative challenge. The whole road user community need to be educated or they will be surprised.

IMO, lane blocking works over there 'cos the drivers more gracious. Here, I use lane blocking and some car will try and squeeze in and force me out of my lane :mad:

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/414133.png

I believe the wider Singapore lanes mentioned by endlessloop probably plays a part in that. There are pros and cons to a narrow lane. Wider lanes allow for more space for emergency evades. You get a some incredible 50+++ car pile-ups in America because there is no room for cars to duck out.

I am not sure if anyone else notices, but I feel that general motorist impatience changes with the time of the day and the day of the week. I feel that motorists are less impatient in morning rush-hour compared to evening rush-hour, and that culminates in Friday evening rush-hour being the most impatient. Just a feeling I get on the road.

If you compare Singaporean motorists to other country ones in the small towns, of course they would seem to always be rushing and impatient, but if you compare them to other country big city motorists, I think they are all the same, in fact, maybe Singaporean motorists are a little more kiasi in fact.

I guess we've experienced traffic in places like Chennai and other big Asian cities, 80km/h mirror to mirror traffic, where balls of steel are required for every junction, and traffic signals are treated as a mere reference and not a law.

But ultimately, we need only care about the motorists in our own city because thats where we live.

• 2 weeks later...
IMO, lane blocking works over there 'cos the drivers more gracious. Here, I use lane blocking and some car will try and squeeze in and force me out of my lane :mad:

I disagree. Lane blocking works really well for me here since I've been at it from 2005.

He who hesitates is lost!

http://www.motorcyclebasics.com/images/lanepos13sm.jpg

The whole idea is not to let cars overtake us too closely.

For that reason,

I would always ride in the middle of the lane.

And this would encourage cars to overtake me one my right lane.

In Lane One (Lane nearest to ctr divider)

A slightly left of ctr of lane will

give a greater buffer if I drop.

Less chance of hitting the barrier.

Never, Never... Ride between lanes

Unless u are over taking during jams.

Home of the Hornets

Street Smart

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/tt6389/Temp%20stuff/th_bikeaccident.jpg

This video by TT6389..

Will be a grim reminder that even

Keeping your own lane may not be the answer...

A good awareness of traffic around u is Important.

Some vehicles just can slow down fast enough.

Home of the Hornets

Street Smart

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very very good thread indeed...

While still reading through the whole thread, I salute all

Here is an example of staying alert...

the important part is close to 1:21' of the clip... and it's filmed in Taiwan, my hometown, which.... has terrible traffic and all

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/2100spectrum/Street%20Smart/DownHill02.jpg

Hi Mtb,

Interesting Video of your ride thru the Mountain.

Plenty of corners...

And speed is critical in going thru safetly.

:thumb:

Valley on the left & mountain on the right..

Droping to low gears gives better control.

Able to stop within visual distance is important.

And Overtakin only when u could see far enough..

There was also a vehicle parked on your lane.

U were slow enough to stop & over take..

That's gd.

Keep it up!

We do most of our Mountain rides in Malaysia & Thailand

But... inexperience of our bikers does causes

them to lose control & crash.

Many crashes occurs on a down hill run...

There is no natural braking as of going up hill.

And abrupt use of the brakes causes the bike to skid,

Go our of control!

So flying down the road would also

mean flying down the cliff...

Home of the Hornets

Street Smart

Hope the HOV Motorcycling Safety Clinic was useful to those who attended. Too bad the rain has postponed the practical HOV ride part. You can join in the next session.

Wish you a long, safe and fun riding career.:thumb:

I would like to thank:

- PPlater for organising and arranging all the logistics to make this possible.

- Kushinagar for helping to annoucing this clinic through SBF so people are aware there are ways to minimise danger

- Ausa and PPlater for coming down to share their safety experience

- Saint DuDu, AC Devil64 for lending their radio sets

- Spectrum for helping to communicate and I also used some of his powerpoint slides

:thumb:

29 Mar:

loudexhaust.blogspot.com

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/2100spectrum/Rides/Bekok%202008/50copy.jpg

BEKOK WATERFALL RIDE 2008

Date: 14th June 2008

Meet: Petronas 2nd link

Time: 8am

Ride with the Street Smart Team into the country

Enjoy the quite country roads

And back to nature's.

Please List your Name if u like to come:

1. Spectrum (Hornet)

2. Endlessloop (STX)

3. Bornfree (ST)

Note: All Bikes Are Welcome.

But u need to be able to make 100kmh on the highway.

Please state your bike after your nick. Thks.

(the big bikes are there to guide u)

Program:

8am Meet at 2nd Link

10am Breakfast @ Ayer Hitam

Noon Bekok Water fall

4pm Leave Bekok for Gelang Patah Bike Wash & Dinner

Things to Bring:

1. Swim Short/Costume (changing room avail)

2. Your raincoat

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/2100spectrum/Bekok02.jpg

(Optional attendance)

There will be a Briefing at 3 Buddeez Cafe

214 Tg Katong Road

9pm on Friday 13th Jun

Home of the Hornets

Street Smart

• 1 month later...

Just to share my experience with you guys

Had my first accident few wks back after close to 3 years of riding…record broken?:sian:

It was the first time I went flat to the ground while riding. Luckily it was just a minor skid…minimum damage to my bike and some bruise on my right hip and arm. I had always thought I was a careful rider, but s h i t does happen at times.

Maybe i was a little impatient when the traffic starts to jam up followed by the sudden heavy downpour just 5 mins from home. Concentration level drop. Stats show that accidents occur in the first 6 mins of riding as mentioned in earlier post, guess i do not fall into this category, last 5 mins is just as important!!

All the what-if came rushing to my mind…I shouldn’t have book-out, should have stay in camp, should have carried my lucky charm, should done this and that…Maybe God is trying make me to focus and reflect and be more humble…and not get carried away.

Here is how the accident happened, heavy downpour 5 mins before I was reaching near PIE exit at tampines…car in front suddenly brake at the zebra crossing. I jammed my brakes and my rear wheel got locked and down I fall, I could have lost my life if the van behind didn’t stop in time. What a close shave!

This makes me reflect hard on my riding habits…

Lesson Learnt:

- I have let down my guard and should be have drop gear instead of braking hard, I lose my concentration level at that point of time.

- I should have been more extra careful when it starts to rain.

- I did not clutch in and grip the fuel tank in an upright position to counter the wheel lock.

- I did not observe the safety distance for wet weather.

- Basic riding skills and yet so difficult to put it into practice.

Consolation

- The side box and crash bar took the greatest impact and save my precious bike.

- I only sustained minor injuries; I could have been dead if the oncoming vehicle ran over me.

- I still managed to lift up my bike and go

- thanks god for coming home in one piece

Signed Off

Re-reading this thread again to remind myself of the basic riding habits

LIVE to RIDE, RIDE to LIVE

Hi savio27, thanks for sharing your experience for all of us to learn from.

Sometimes, shyt just happens. And the best thing to savage from the situation, is really to make full of the experience and learn from it.

I applaud your courage. It is normal to go through the stage of fear, uncertainty, apprehension of riding after falling down. Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is advancing in the presence of fear.

I read an article on Rossi. He falls down too. The difference is that instead of letting the episode haunt him, he analyses, studies and learn from the experience and this makes him an even better rider after that. Just like what you are doing now.

I wish to help you add value to preventing this episode from happening again. You may like to think along these lines:

- The driver in front would not suddenly brake without reason. What was his reason for braking? What if you could have spot the pre-condition that made the driver to do a hard brake? Would this help make a difference?

- What if you were not in such a rush? How to prevent yourself from getting into a rush again in the future?

29 Mar:

loudexhaust.blogspot.com

It would definitely made a hell out of a difference if I had anticipate the hard brake by applying the 70/30 rule of front and rear brake, clutching in and gripping hard to the fuel tank. But in that few split-secs, I just wasn’t my usual self, I just applied more force on my rear brake...

Perhaps, that I was too complacent, cos it was those everyday route where u took from home to work, the thought u could negotiate so well cos u had probably gone thru a thousand times. Lesson Learnt: Never let your guards down.

LIVE to RIDE, RIDE to LIVE