SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

STREET SMART

Spectrum

Route to fewer bike deaths

THE Traffic Police task force has swung into action to lower the number of motorcycle deaths on the roads. On its own or in programmes with partners, it has:

Identified six danger zones: These are roads where 53 motorcycle accidents occurred between August 2006 and July last year. Patrols have been stepped up at three expressway stretches and three street junctions.

Put up warning signs: Signs have gone up in the danger zones, particularly along the Pan-Island Expressway (PIE) near the Stevens Road exits.

The signs bear this stark message: 'Seven riders died last year on this expressway. Don?t add to the number.'

The PIE was where the Traffic Police task force counted four out of 10 expressway bike deaths in the first half of last year.

Mounted a safety drive among bikers: This campaign promotes defensive riding and educates bikers on the dangers of speeding and drink-riding. The police have also worked with motorcycle clubs linked to the Singapore Bikers Forum to give road-safety talks to students at the Institute of Technical Education, polytechnics and military camps.

Launched a media blitz: Banners, signs and mailers have been distributed to encourage safe-riding, and commercials have been screened.

Offered free bike checks last year: In a tie-up between the Traffic Police and Singapore Motor Cycle Trade Association, these free checks were for bikers who visited the umbrella body?s workshops and distributors within a three-month period.

TEH JOO LIN

He who hesitates is lost!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stargate was very kind to send me a PM to bring attention to a recent incident where a Singapore motorcyclist passed away while joining a group of Singapore riders to have supper in Johor after filling up petrol over at 2nd link, because the rider was new to riding to Malaysia road.

I would like to invite suggestions and contributors.

1. What would you advise to newbies riding in Malaysia road?

2. What would you advise to newbies doing convoy rides the first time in Malaysia road?

Edited to say: I found the topic and I understand why it wasn't brought up. RIP to the deceased

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/414133.png

1. What would you advise to newbies riding in Malaysia road?

Go with an experience rider if it's your first.

2. What would you advise to newbies doing convoy rides the first time in Malaysia road?

Ride with a responsible leader.

As regard to the death of a rider going for supper at gp.

There was one that was too fast for a corner & crash.

He was not a newbie...

Just going too fast.

Rule No. 1 in taking corners

In all corners

... u must be able to stop within visual range.

eg. u round a corner & u see suddenly see a big truck

broken down and blocking the road.

Always ask yourself the question...

Can u stop in time?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/2100spectrum/logo/Signature23.jpg

Home of the Hornets

Street Smart

Route to fewer bike deaths

THE Traffic Police task force has swung into action to lower the number of motorcycle deaths on the roads. On its own or in programmes with partners, it has:

Identified six danger zones: These are roads where 53 motorcycle accidents occurred between August 2006 and July last year. Patrols have been stepped up at three expressway stretches and three street junctions.

Put up warning signs: Signs have gone up in the danger zones, particularly along the Pan-Island Expressway (PIE) near the Stevens Road exits.

The signs bear this stark message: 'Seven riders died last year on this expressway. Don?t add to the number.'

About one biker/pillon dies every 3 days on our roads.

The key to not losing control of your bike on Highways...

Find or created distance!

In front & behind u.

But don't road hog.

Move to the lane that suit your speed.

Bikers lose control & crash cos they can't out stop cars.

So they hit the brakes, skid & go down the road.

Without the space behind... cars can't avoid them..

They will just be run over.

Remember!

If u fall... and if u don't hit anything.

Or anything hit u...

U have a chance to survive..

Space! will save your life!

Home of the Hornets

Street Smart

About space behind u... I had a lot friends complain to me about tailgators.

If you change lanes before the tailgators start their nonsense, technically speaking there is low chance of losing rear space. It is possible to anticipate possible tailgating before it occurs, by judging the potential aggressor's lane change etiquette. By lane changing wherever possible to a slower lane before this occurs, u can watch the aggressor accelerate to tailgate the vehicle in front of u in lane 1 or even lane 2.

This reduces your compromised rear space to a minimum, unless u are in the slowest lane, and then it is probably a case of the stressed driver wanting to filter off the highway to meet a late appointment.

Taking the initiative early prevents an escalation of tension. U are less likely to get upset. Graciousness makes happy drivers, and happy drivers get to their destinations safely :deal:

just my recent thoughts otr.

P-plate should be an attitude to safety and riding. There's always more to learn.

10417710_10152885054228332_2597706433133321618_n.jpg?oh=a3e4c65165b15e5d659161c304211563&oe=54FB0965

They meet up at GP Esso or Petronas at night.

They then move off in a group to their destination for dinner...

One starts to speed.. the rest follow. Ego keeps their throttle opened and ego keeps the throttles of those who are new or unsure opened also.

Speeding in darkness is suicidal, especially for those who are first timers on a new road.

Group riding discipline requires the group to ride at the speed of the SLOWEST rider of the group. Not meet up and then its every man for himself.

That is why I don't join groups for outings into the 2nd link.

I am comfortable with ridiing at speeds above 170 kmh even up to 270 kmh on the track but I am not comfortable with those speeds on a public road, let alone talk about doing that at night.

I go to the track often to satisfy my need for speed urges and to 'clear carbon or clear meter or do whatever excuses people have for speeding".

I got better things to do than to do it on the public roads, especially at the

2nd link.

I want to stay alive and enjoy my riding.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o104/angelo_neo/IMG_1208-1.jpg

FAA licenced motorcycle mechanic :angel:

Add me: http://www.facebook.com/raptormotorsports

Some lessons from "Twist of the wrist".

Every rider has $10 of attention.

At learning centre we spend $5 just on operating the machine.

After enough practice this starts to cost us less, we can afford to spend more money on checking around us.

Trying to detect and prioritise dangers and predict other's action cost us attention too.

Sometimes after night shift we are tired, less $$ left for awareness.

When we dun pay enough $$ to someone demanding it we crash. Running out of $$ because we are too tired also not a good idea.

Drinking and riding is like dropping your money along a ride. Getting upset on the road also deducts our $10. We only have so much. Safe riders always keep a lot of $$ in their helmet, in case someone demands all of what we have left in an instant.

More speed more $$. More lean angle more $$. Not enough left we skid. Not a good idea on the streets. Raptor says it well :thumb:

I sometimes listen to radio while riding. It gives me advance notice of possible traffic congestion so i can consider changing route.

If i lane split, more $$ spent on the road, radio becomes background noise, cannot listen. So i try not to lane split unless necessary :cheeky:

How much $$ do you have on the next ride? Weather, rd and traffic volume all affects how much u need to pay.

Spend your $10 wisely. Don't let the beautiful pedestrian or lady rider zipping by take all your $10 or more :cheeky: Not good to be broke.

CNY coming, some people will drink over gatherings. Maybe a bottle too much. We try to watch out and stay alive.

P-plate should be an attitude to safety and riding. There's always more to learn.

10417710_10152885054228332_2597706433133321618_n.jpg?oh=a3e4c65165b15e5d659161c304211563&oe=54FB0965

Some lessons from "Twist of the wrist".

Every rider has $10 of attention.

At learning centre we spend $5 just on operating the machine.

After enough practice this starts to cost us less, we can afford to spend more money on checking around us.

:cheeky: I though the analogy was most interesting :thumb:

When I just passed my Class2B and before I learnt and applied HOV, I have $3 in my pocket. On good trips, it just ask for $1 from me. On bad trips, it ask for $2-$3. I have not much left.

With more riding experience, I had a raise to $5. With Hazard Oriented Vision (HOV), I could see double-tripe the distance ahead, know what threats to identify, I grew to a comfortable $10 or perhaps more.

So now commuting in Singapore, I used $1-$3.As such, I still have plenty left , and definitely have a lot more to spare compared to my pre-HOV pre-StreetSmart days.

If I want to have a bit more fun and push a little harder when hustling trunk roads up North, I always set a spending limit of $5-$7, still leaving me with spare change. The public roads are not for you to give all you have got with no reserve. If you want to give more, yes, go to the track as Raptor suggest.

Many riders do increase their pocket change from $3 to $5 through more experience. With this increased experience, their confidence increased too and they do more risky moves such as greater lean angles. Their consumption increased from $3 to $5. With not much or none left to spare, isn't it a bit risky?

Another case, is experienced riders have $5. But they bought a more powerful bike which led them to spend more. In some cases, the new bike caused them to overspent.

Ask yourself, what have you done lately to increase your pocket change in terms of your rider skill? Or is it a matter you bike have grown more powerful (this is consumption)?

29 Mar:

2009 Yamaha FZ1 Fazer Owner's Review

loudexhaust.blogspot.com

www.RiderAsia.com Safety site for motorcycle riders

today at lim chu kang muslim cemetary was exiting,followed behind a van then before i realized there a big pothole 2 metres so i just thought ill just go over it instead if e brake..next thing i know i fly with the bike luckily i was fully geared with raincoat jacket,gloves and ff helmet so no scar all but bike fairing all scar,stomach pipe break..sian..lesson learn dont follow too closely! and look on the gorund not the vehicle infront you..

did anyone mention that when negotiating a sharp bend (entering or exiting expressway), do not change lane. ride slowly and don overtake as well. you will not know what is in front of you.

i had this experience. i was entering PIE towards tuas at toa pahyoh. i was at the left lane, negotiating a bend. a taxi suddenly slowed down. i didnt think twice what happened in front. so i signal right and change to right lane. the moment i changed lane, BANG! i skidded. why? there's a accident right in front and there were oil leakage. the moment i changed lane, my tyre went over the oil and couldn't gain control of my bike.

PATIENCE IS THE KEY! safe riding guys! (:

• 2 weeks later...

Straits Times Feb 26, 2008

Young pillion riders at greater risk of dying than young m-cyclists

By Teh Joo Lin

RIDING pillion is proving more dangerous than handling the motorcycle itself - at least for youngsters, according to a study by doctors at Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH).

Over a three-year period, 96 motorcyclists and pillion riders aged 21 and younger were admitted to the hospital. Fifteen per cent, or 14 of them, died of their injuries later.

Although pillion riders formed the smaller group of 24 people, seven of them died compared to seven bikers.

That makes the death rate for young pillion riders three times that of young bikers.

Said main author and registrar Dr Leong Quor Meng: 'If you are a pillion rider and you are young, the odds are against you.

'And if you are a young biker and reckless, you are putting your pillion at risk.'

There were 103 deaths due to motorcycle accidents last year, one more than in 2006. Among them were nine who rode pillion, five of whom were aged 29 and younger.

The TTSH study indicated that the young suffered more severe injuries on the road, Dr Leong said.

'And when you are young, you are supposed to be fitter. But somehow, the young ones are still dropping dead,' he added.

As this was a statistical study, the authors - who included Dr Chiu Ming Terk and Dr Vijayan A. - did not look into the causes.

They looked at the records of 682 motorcycle accident victims admitted to the hospital between 2004 and 2006 to come up with their findings.

The victims were divided into two age groups: 21 and younger, and above 21, and statistical analyses were run.

Asked about the findings, Mr Tony Yeo, general secretary of the Singapore Motor Cycle Trade Association, puts down the cause to speeding among the younger set.

Serious injuries arise when motorcyclists speed as there is 'less time and room for correction'.

But the danger to the pillion rider is greater because he is 'blindsided'.

'The rider knows what is happening...he can anticipate the bend he is going to make. But the pillion rider can't.

'His reaction time will always be at least half a second slower,' said Mr Yeo, who has been riding for more than 30 years.

Some young pillion riders also take a cavalier attitude to riding. Instead of holding on to bikers' waists, they lean back against the storage boxes or grip the back of the motorcycles.

'This creates a V-shape between the biker and the pillion rider and the stability of the bike is affected,' said Mr Yeo.

Mr Syed Ismail, spokesman for the Bukit Batok Driving Centre, said it was compulsory for bikers to learn how to ferry pillion riders.

'Bike characteristics are completely different when you ride solo and when someone sits behind you,' he said.

To help learners appreciate the difference and advise future passengers, trainees are paired up to practise 'riding as pillion, and with pillion'.

Full-time national serviceman Sebastian Loh, 20, said he wouldn't mind having men riding pillion with him - but not women.

'If I meet with an accident, I wouldn't know how to explain to their family,' he said.

ST26022008 pillion riders.jpg

He who hesitates is lost!

This is so sad. Young lives lost like that, before they even get to taste what life is.

http://img24.exs.cx/img24/4926/1961_7_168x113.jpghttp://img24.exs.cx/img24/6209/158_3_168x112.jpghttp://img99.exs.cx/img99/6289/index_04.gifhttp://img31.exs.cx/img31/5149/122006304_T.jpg

"Thy fate is the common fate of all;

into each life some rain must fall" - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

My take on long distance riding... Recently i rode 3400km in 4 consecutive days (spontaneously each day) Averaging 850km per day in varying weather and road conditions. My learning experience on this is that it affects your normal riding habits and changes the way you normally behave otr. Fatigue can do things to your "normal" riding habits.. For this reason i strongly advocate against doing that iron butt thing. Lives have been lost in such attempts. There aren't glory in failing to return from a ride, and there aren't glory in being another statistic. Also, few people really appreciates how far u rode in how much time. There's little sense to most people compromising or losing a life over a cert. If u need to ride long and hard.. be sure it isn't over proving a point. Let not your ego or pride stand in the way of better judgement, for this has taken away the lives of many experienced riders. Fatigue kills... Judgemental errors may well be a leading cause for accidents for experienced riders. Keeping fresh for rides is the more pleasant and safe way in my opinion.

My take on long distance riding... Recently i rode 3400km in 4 consecutive days (spontaneously each day) Averaging 850km per day in varying weather and road conditions. My learning experience on this is that it affects your normal riding habits and changes the way you normally behave otr. Fatigue can do things to your "normal" riding habits.. For this reason i strongly advocate against doing that iron butt thing. Lives have been lost in such attempts. There aren't glory in failing to return from a ride, and there aren't glory in being another statistic. Also, few people really appreciates how far u rode in how much time. There's little sense to most people compromising or losing a life over a cert. If u need to ride long and hard.. be sure it isn't over proving a point. Let not your ego or pride stand in the way of better judgement, for this has taken away the lives of many experienced riders. Fatigue kills... Judgemental errors may well be a leading cause for accidents for experienced riders. Keeping fresh for rides is the more pleasant and safe way in my opinion.

Exactly. That's the way a ride is supposed to be. I got to admit. After coming back from North Thailand, my riding skills have improved a lot. Also I learn to read other motorists behaviour better. I've come back changed.

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/414133.png

Here's an example of how HOV worked for me today.

I was riding home today, making a left filter at the junction and merging with light traffic at night, after a rain. In my rear there was a taxi at safe following distance which I was tracking, and another accelerating to overtake me on the two lane road. With the priority of tracking now on the overtaking taxi, I noticed a sudden flickering of hazard lights just as the taxi pulled parallel with me. My instinct was to start braking, and this happened just as the taxi started lane changing into my path (when the cabbie was doing this i picked up the pedestrian flagging the cab on the left). I followed through the braking by depressing the lever harder as the bike loaded its weight on the front and bit down on the wet tarmac. It was over in 2 seconds from reaction to end of action. There was a good 5 metres to spare as i came to a complete stop behind the cabbie who picked up his passenger while the other taxi in my rear passed us safely.

A vehicle moving at 50km/h travels 13.9m in 1 second. Reacting half a second early makes the difference between a possible impact and a safe stop and go. I didn't think much about this incident until I went home and did the maths :giddy: Thank goodness I started my braking half a second before the cabby pulled into my lane and started his, considering cars out-brakes bikes, especially when the road is wet.

HOV

Here's an example of how HOV worked for me today.

A vehicle moving at 50km/h travels 13.9m in 1 second. Reacting half a second early makes the difference between a possible impact and a safe stop and go. I didn't think much about this incident until I went home and did the maths :giddy: Thank goodness I started my braking half a second before the cabby pulled into my lane and started his, considering cars out-brakes bikes, especially when the road is wet.

HOV

:thumb:

Another disciplined practitioner of HOV reaps its benefits.

Good highlight on the half-second difference in reaction time.

So wherever possible and however possible, buy whatever reaction time you can get, be it staying further from the vehicle in front, looking out and read clues of impending danger, slowing down, etc etc.

29 Mar:

2009 Yamaha FZ1 Fazer Owner's Review

loudexhaust.blogspot.com

www.RiderAsia.com Safety site for motorcycle riders

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/2100spectrum/Street%20Smart/Streetsmart168.jpg

FALLING ASLEEP ON THE RIDE

Early Departure & the excitment of the ride gives us insufficent sleep.

Fatigue sets in.

Long boring stretches of highway on a hot afternoon are times we may just doze off.

Don't!

A few seconds sleep may be enough to crash your bike &

you'll be waking up with your face scraping the road surface.

That is if u wake up.

There had been numerous cases of Riders falling asleep &

crashing into barriers...

One biker I know crashed into a overhead bridge pillar

heading for ride after work..

He is alive but now hands cannot be used.

I had seen for myself a car in front of me along North South Highway...

just went for the left barrier... Wham!

But he is on a car.. and drove on with some damage.

WHAT IS THE SOLUTION?

When sleep creeps on u..

U need to take a Break! U Must!

Pull into the nearest rest area & go wash your face & stretch yourself for 10min.

In a group:

Let the Leader or last bike know u are pulling over

By moving your palm over your face.

And will catch up at the next designated rest point.

or

U may shoot ahead away from the group

And stop or slow down to join them after u are better.

Sometimes breaking away will help.

Or

In a small group... u may also volunteer to take the lead.

ON THE PLANNING STAGE...

Shorter stops in the mid afternoon may be good

Making the longer distances in early morning & evening when it's cooler.

RIDING THRU THE NITE

Riding thru the night will be a high risk venture.

Best avoided!

Not only u be fighing against your biological sleeping clock

Visibility in the nite will be poor...

And Coupled with slow reaction time...

U have a accident waiting to happen.

I do quite a bit of nite shift but get to catch some sleep in the day before work.

So I know how tired u can get..

Riding, u need 100% attention on the roads...

Will be difficult... and some go riding thru the nite after working the whole day.

Not very clever...

Ever wonder why the Newspapers reports bike

crashing out on their own in the early hours...

Stay Awake! Stay Alive!

Home of the Hornets

Street Smart

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys... just got my TP... have been reading Street Smart till page 13 and ongoing... still waiting for my bike to be ready... and hope i can remember as much as i can from this thread...

so far... thanx for the efforts for creating this thread... appreciated!!! :thumb:

MAR 2008 - JUN 2009 : Yamaha X1

JUN 2009 - DEC 2010 : Suzuki GSR 400

DEC 2010 - ????????? : Yamaha X1-R

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody. New 2b license rider here. Got my (CBR150) bike 2 weeks ago and I spent the past week to gradually read up all the (very educational) posts in this thread. Great work and very extensive collection of hints and tips on safe riding. In the end of course it is still up to the rider to take it in and apply it but at least the info is here for the those who really want to learn. I hope to attend the next HOV session and learn more from practical sessions.

Keep up the great thread!:thumb: