SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

STREET SMART

Spectrum

i myself have some experience ...

1. i had many encounters of near accidents when "reaching destination"

therefore i suggest riders should not be over excited that your trip is completing as u r going to reach...

2. Riding in the rain:

some riders don have rain coat when they ride. when it start to rain, they tend to go faster to avoid the rain or to seek shelter...

i have encounter riders rushing to the rain shelter on expressway, upon "reaching shelter" and skidded.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lane Positioning:

3 lanes on the highway - take the one determine by your speed.

Right lane is for over taking.

Riding Between Lanes:

Bikes have the advantage of riding between the lanes when the traffic is slow & Heavy.

Or to move to the front of the traffic lights when the lites are red.

No right or wrong - just that u take the risk.

Just be on high alert when between two cars.

Between lanes, u are riding on the white line... slippery when wet.

Emergency Brakes: Best is not to get into a situation when u need to do it.

Keep plenty of Space & look far, far ahead & anticipate the traffic.

Risk In Riding: As u discuss about riding safety... half the battle is won.

Your attitude determinds a high pencentage your suvival on the street.

Know where the danger lurks...and go enjoy your rides... I always do. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/2100spectrum/logo/Signature23.jpg

Home of the Hornets

Street Smart

There was an article on 22 Oct 2009, Straits Times.

A driver was found guilty of causing the death of a motorcyclist.

Accident happened along an expressway (SLE?). The driver changed lane from the rightmost to middle lane. In the process, knocking down the rider who was "on the ride side" of the center lane. The faller rider was subsequently ran over by a truck behind it and died.

Truck driver was found not guilty as it was not possible for the truck driver to avoid the rider.

If anyone has the article, please post it here.

The lesson is: there are drivers out there who change lane without checking their blind spots. And there are many such drivers, doing this everyday.

Questions are:

- What can you do to protect yourself from such hazards?

- What kind of common behaviour by riders are most vulnerable to such a hazard?

29 Mar:

2009 Yamaha FZ1 Fazer Owner's Review

loudexhaust.blogspot.com

www.RiderAsia.com Safety site for motorcycle riders

Negligence caused death of m-cyclist

Elena Chong, Court Correspondent

ST 22 October 2009

© 2009 Singapore Press Holdings Limited

P-plate motorist did not exercise proper care in switching lanes: Coroner

THE death of a motorcyclist on an expressway earlier this year was due to the actions of a probationary driver who had suddenly switched lanes and hit the rider.

As a result, Malaysian construction worker Sia Chong Shyang, who was riding along the right side of Seletar Expressway's centre lane, was flung from his motorcycle and then run over by a trailer. He died on the spot.

Yesterday, State Coroner Victor Yeo found that the 27-year-old's death on Jan 5 was due to the negligence of the first potential defendant, 33-year-old marketing manager Frank Hoewelkroeger.

The coroner said that while he was mindful that the motorcyclist was also run over by Mr Heng Hai Cheng's trailer, he was satisfied that the 60-year-old, named the second potential defendant, could not have avoided hitting the victim.

But as to whether any action will be taken against both men, Mr Yeo said he would leave it to the Attorney-General's Chambers.

Senior Staff Sergeant Colin Ong from the Traffic Police stated in his investigation report that Mr Hoewelkroeger, a permanent resident from Germany and a P-plate driver, was with his Singaporean wife in their car that morning, when he decided to filter to the centre lane from the right lane to avoid two cars which had stopped in front of him.

But he failed to exercise care while doing so, and sideswiped Mr Sia's motorbike.

This resulted in five vehicles, including two cars in front of Mr Hoewelkroeger's, being involved in a minor collision.

After the prime mover had run over Mr Sia, the driver - later established to be Mr Heng - was seen stopping 20m away before driving off.

Mr Hoewelkroeger testified last month that he made sure the centre lane was clear before he attempted to change lanes.

But the coroner said from the accounts given by witnesses, it appeared the motorcyclist was already travelling on the left of Mr Hoewelkroeger's car just before the collision.

'Given the unequivocal evidence of these drivers travelling behind the first potential defendant who had seen Mr Sia's motorcycle, I am not inclined to accept Mr Hoewelkroeger's version that he had checked that it was safe for him to filter from the right lane to the centre lane.'

He felt that Mr Hoewelkroeger should have stayed in his own lane or applied his brakes rather than make a sudden lane switch before ascertaining whether it would pose a danger to other road users.

The accident, he added, could have been avoided had Mr Hoewelkroeger kept to his lane and not suddenly swerved to the left before ensuring it was safe to do so.

He who hesitates is lost!

Very nice thread you got here, but I think it would be great to update the index with the links to the posts regarding the abovementioned topics. I know it's quite a hassle, but so is it trawling through all the posts to find the topics discussed!

+1 :) I agree' date=' but then again, so far i've read until page 6 and 99% of the posts are very enlighting and relevant still, cause they come as comments and sharings about the tip discussed. But yes, If we could go to a particular tip with one click it would make this thread even more practical.[/quote']

+1 on that, TS, pretty pls with sugar on it? pls do that? :lol::lol:

Well, the thing is, I posted here *after* I got my license. So no more driving school for me for now. Got my 2B mid August but I am not riding just yet, finishing on saving and should be able to get my bike in the next month or so.

- e-brake at speeds above 30 km/h

- counter-steering (I've read a lot about it on SBF but I feel that i won't get it until someone actually explains it to me on a bike..)

- control my future nike at low speed (1st gear) by doing some practicing with cones or some sort of S shaped course (large empty ooutdoor carpark should do)

- go for an advanced riding session or defensive riding session

sis, u can sign up for defensive riding course at any of the 3 driving centres regarding the e brake issue. they actually teach u how to slide to a stop - i've seen it before. i believe the bikes they are using are similar to pulsar 200 in terms of posture, height and weight so it's kinda serves both pruposes.

also, there are actually class 2a and class2 licenses here which allows for riders to ride up to 400cc and beyond. so you can still go for a 2a license just to have more training riding a bike, and since they are using cb400 (200kg), i think u shd be able to handle most bikes thereafter.

counter steering is not essential for normal riding, unless u intend to go through a corner very fast like professional racers. and it's something u can learn slowly once u get ur bike (since it's not THAT critical).

lastly, hope to see u for future HOV sessions! :smile:

Negligence caused death of m-cyclist

Elena Chong, Court Correspondent

ST 22 October 2009

© 2009 Singapore Press Holdings Limited

P-plate motorist did not exercise proper care in switching lanes: Coroner

THE death of a motorcyclist on an expressway earlier this year was due to the actions of a probationary driver who had suddenly switched lanes and hit the rider.

As a result, Malaysian construction worker Sia Chong Shyang, who was riding along the right side of Seletar Expressway's centre lane, was flung from his motorcycle and then run over by a trailer. He died on the spot.

Yesterday, State Coroner Victor Yeo found that the 27-year-old's death on Jan 5 was due to the negligence of the first potential defendant, 33-year-old marketing manager Frank Hoewelkroeger.

The coroner said that while he was mindful that the motorcyclist was also run over by Mr Heng Hai Cheng's trailer, he was satisfied that the 60-year-old, named the second potential defendant, could not have avoided hitting the victim.

But as to whether any action will be taken against both men, Mr Yeo said he would leave it to the Attorney-General's Chambers.

Senior Staff Sergeant Colin Ong from the Traffic Police stated in his investigation report that Mr Hoewelkroeger, a permanent resident from Germany and a P-plate driver, was with his Singaporean wife in their car that morning, when he decided to filter to the centre lane from the right lane to avoid two cars which had stopped in front of him.

But he failed to exercise care while doing so, and sideswiped Mr Sia's motorbike.

This resulted in five vehicles, including two cars in front of Mr Hoewelkroeger's, being involved in a minor collision.

After the prime mover had run over Mr Sia, the driver - later established to be Mr Heng - was seen stopping 20m away before driving off.

Mr Hoewelkroeger testified last month that he made sure the centre lane was clear before he attempted to change lanes.

But the coroner said from the accounts given by witnesses, it appeared the motorcyclist was already travelling on the left of Mr Hoewelkroeger's car just before the collision.

'Given the unequivocal evidence of these drivers travelling behind the first potential defendant who had seen Mr Sia's motorcycle, I am not inclined to accept Mr Hoewelkroeger's version that he had checked that it was safe for him to filter from the right lane to the centre lane.'

He felt that Mr Hoewelkroeger should have stayed in his own lane or applied his brakes rather than make a sudden lane switch before ascertaining whether it would pose a danger to other road users.

The accident, he added, could have been avoided had Mr Hoewelkroeger kept to his lane and not suddenly swerved to the left before ensuring it was safe to do so.

:eek: that's one freak accident.

applying HOV - could we have known NOT to stay there under the same circumstances?

1) if he had stayed along the center of lane he would have a lil bit more time to react.

2) and bikers should try NOT to be infront of trailers.

3) Dun stay in drivers' blindspot

4) Dun travel too fast relative to surrounding vehicles

5) was he actually lane splitting? right side of centre lane?

Edited by JackOHJack

Be Safe & Wreckless

Sin Ming Editor 1 day jail, $2k fine for pillion death!

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5326937&posted=1#post5326937

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I subscribed to this forum a long time back but I believe this is my first post as I had been driving since (3 years on the road, no accident, touch wood!)...

However I do intend to go touring (someday, sometime...) so I am still taking my 2A (and eventually 2). Probably will get something like a Super4 in the meanwhile to improve riding skills.

I find that after taking 2B license, I now pay much more attention to motorcyclists on the road. Why? After experiencing the "nakedness" of a motorcycle I tend to keep a lookout for them on the road.

Maybe Class 3 subjects should include a module where the driver-to-be is pillioned on a motorcycle to let them experience how vulnerable they are.

However, there's one thing in particular that some riders do which I feel is quite dangerous. At night, when the traffic is relatively clear, some riders still insist on riding in between lanes (lane splitting?). Sometimes, the positioning of the bike and the car behind is so "zhun" until the car and bike becomes one object... as in the headlight of the bike becomes the headlight of the car behind him, and because of the glare from the headlights it becomes impossible to seperate the two vehicles.

So perhaps, at night when traffic is clear, please ride in the center of the lane as you will be distinct from the vehicle behind.

I also agree that riding too much to the left (or right) of the lane is just asking for the car behind to overtake in the same lane.

Hope to join you guys someday on one of your road trips... 2A on 22/12/09 :)

My bike is stock! Please don't jio me! :angel:

Super lightweight lithium batteries for sale! http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php/347746

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi guys,

I subscribed to this forum a long time back but I believe this is my first post as I had been driving since (3 years on the road, no accident, touch wood!)...

However I do intend to go touring (someday, sometime...) so I am still taking my 2A (and eventually 2). Probably will get something like a Super4 in the meanwhile to improve riding skills.

I find that after taking 2B license, I now pay much more attention to motorcyclists on the road. Why? After experiencing the "nakedness" of a motorcycle I tend to keep a lookout for them on the road.

Maybe Class 3 subjects should include a module where the driver-to-be is pillioned on a motorcycle to let them experience how vulnerable they are.

However, there's one thing in particular that some riders do which I feel is quite dangerous. At night, when the traffic is relatively clear, some riders still insist on riding in between lanes (lane splitting?). Sometimes, the positioning of the bike and the car behind is so "zhun" until the car and bike becomes one object... as in the headlight of the bike becomes the headlight of the car behind him, and because of the glare from the headlights it becomes impossible to seperate the two vehicles.

So perhaps, at night when traffic is clear, please ride in the center of the lane as you will be distinct from the vehicle behind.

I also agree that riding too much to the left (or right) of the lane is just asking for the car behind to overtake in the same lane.

Hope to join you guys someday on one of your road trips... 2A on 22/12/09 :)

good luck for your TP test and hope to see you at the next HOV session once you get your Super 4 :)

Grounded... :/

• 4 weeks later...

I believe there is going to be more and more PR/foreigners who are driving in Singapore. These are on top of those from malaysia. With this, it might mean a new additional road phenomenon we need to be aware of while riding.

PR and foreigners who are relatively new to driving in Singapore, are likely going to carry along their previous driving behaviour from their previous resident country, until they are fully immersed and have adapted to local road behaviour.

What this might mean to us is that we might need to anticipate a new breed of behaviour, for us to remain safe.

This is not a message against foreigners and PRs. This is merely acknowledging an existing phenomenon. It works both ways: if I were to drive/ride/walk in a foreign country, I will also be "blur" about local traffic behaviour.

Just two days ago, I saw a lorry containing construction workers on it's back, driving along PIE. It was non-peak hour so traffic was light and the lorry was driving along at about 70kmh. Every thing on the expressway was normal, except that there was a long queue of cars strung out behind the lorry. Why?

Because instead of driving along the extreme left lane where the commercial vehicles normally drive, the lorry was driving on the extreme right lane.

The lorry driver was not overtaking. It was just cruising along and made no intention to go back to the left or middle lane, even when opportunities permit.

I overtook and pulled up along side and took a peek into the lorry cabin. The driver looks to me, like a young chinese national. And he is oblivious to the whole commotion he is causing behind. By the way, in china, they are left-hand drive :angel:

In the Straits Time on 10 Dec, page B4, a trucker, who happens to be a foreigner, was sentenced to be guilty for causing the death of a pedestrian through negligence.

29 Mar:

2009 Yamaha FZ1 Fazer Owner's Review

loudexhaust.blogspot.com

www.RiderAsia.com Safety site for motorcycle riders

Like you said, we want to be careful with this topic of foreigners driving in SG.

As much as I agree on the fact that if you come from another place you might bring in with you habits and a certain driving behavior, at the end of the day I am not too comfortable with reading here that we should be careful with this specific "population" of drivers.

To me, whether the driver looks Chinese, from SG or Shanghai, blond headed or black, I don't care. If his plate number says Malaysia or SG, I don't care.

Whenever I'm on the road, everybody is a potentially bad driver.

Especially if I'm on a bike. So I see everyone as a potential threat, anyone could have a moment of fatigue, loose their focus, answer the phone, or just forget that they actually are in the wrong lane.

So really, German PR causing the death of a biker or 5th generation local Singaporean being responsible for it, that's not the point. The point is, a driver didn't check his blind-spot properly before changing lane and it caused someone's death. I doubt this had to do with the fact that he is used to drive on the right or left side or that he is not used to SG traffic.

At the end of the day, it's all about what is advocated in this thread: be smart and cautious, never assume other road users will do the right thing :)

Pulsarians Singapore on Facebook:

The Page: http://fb.me/SingaporePulsarians For general news and info

The Group: http://fb.me/groups/pulsarianssg/ For all the interaction

between Pulsarians, maintenance tips, accessories, trips & meet-ups and of course live answers to all your questions !

Endlessloop suggests that we need to look out for a new road phenomenon-the constant influx of immigrants as a result of our immigration policies and its impact on our roads :deal:

O'Ren suggests that the implicit riding attitude advocated in this thread to date thus far, that all road users are a threat is sufficient to handle this new road phenomenon. :deal:

In reconciliation, both are contributing in the spirit of discussion thus far. However, we need to consider what the inherent attitude advocated in this thread is based on. Street Smart is partly about creating new knowledge on what to look out for on the road, and what to do in response. Perhaps some clarity may be sought by keeping this in mind, while we affirm old values at the same time :thumb:

Edited by Pplater

P-plate should be an attitude to safety and riding. There's always more to learn.

10417710_10152885054228332_2597706433133321618_n.jpg?oh=a3e4c65165b15e5d659161c304211563&oe=54FB0965

By the way, in china, they are left-hand drive :angel:

bro, u mean right hand drive right? :cheeky: as in they drive on the right side of the road?

Like you said, we want to be careful with this topic of foreigners driving in SG.

At the end of the day, it's all about what is advocated in this thread: be smart and cautious, never assume other road users will do the right thing :)

i think what endlessloop bro meant was that we have to have some kind of a mental configuration and understanding to these "new" drivers.

what do we do when we see a taxi driver?

" " female driver?

" " msia driver?

" " chinese driver?

" " siao kia (slang for reckless/ crazy) rider?

" " TP?!

" " Taligator? (intentionally spelled)

:lol: it's like if i see a taxi driver behind me/ to the right side of me, and 'suddenly" someone in front wave their hand, i MUST prepare! :lol::faint:

or like if there is a up slope, don't stop behind a vehicle!

kind of like additional tips and unwritten personal rules to be more aware etc.

but what u say surely covers everything, for if we treat every driver as a taxi/ female/ PRC/ msia/ TP/ siao kia/ Taligator driver, den we are essentially doing the same thing? :smile:

Be Safe & Wreckless

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5326937&posted=1#post5326937

Endlessloop suggests that we need to look out for a new road phenomenon-the constant influx of immigrants as a result of our immigration policies and its impact on our roads :deal:

O'Ren suggests that the implicit riding attitude advocated in this thread to date thus far, that all road users are a threat is sufficient to handle this new road phenomenon. :deal:

In reconciliation, both are contributing in the spirit of discussion thus far. However, we need to consider what the inherent attitude advocated in this thread is based on. Street Smart is partly about creating new knowledge on what to look out for on the road, and what to do in response. Perhaps some clarity may be sought by keeping this in mind, while we affirm old values at the same time :thumb:

Thanks for the reminder P-Plater, will keep it mind :cheeky:

between Pulsarians, maintenance tips, accessories, trips & meet-ups and of course live answers to all your questions !

Whenever I'm on the road' date=' everybody is a potentially bad driver[/b']

+1 Same as how I feel when on my bike. Every driver out there should be treated with extreme caution as they have the capacity to severely injure or kill you.

Treat no driver with contempt and be extremely cautious on the road. I believe that would help minimize the (high) risk while on the bike.

Class 2B

FW TA200

Safety above all

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/2100spectrum/Street%20Smart/Streetsmart170.jpg

Street Smart #170

When the going gets tough... The Tough Take Cover..

December weather... NE Monsoon and all the water from South China Sea is dump on our land.

What matters to us most is this weather is hazardous to our riding.

Just a few gentle reminders... for a safe ride.

1. Most slippery when... the 1st part of the rain as all the girt floats up the road surface.

2. Poor Visibility effects all the motorist on the road! Not just u... so have a good lookout... & have a rag handy to clean your visor

3. Distance is your Protection - Stopping distance is increased & everyone sees everyone later.

4. Go take cover when the weather gets bad... a cup-of-tea at the coffee shop may just save u from crash!

And come out after the rain is all over... Rain storm usually last for 30mi

Edited by Spectrum

Home of the Hornets

Street Smart

Cars Changing Lanes Hitting Biker

U need to read the traffic... The cars around u.

Gap in front of u..

Cars from other lanes may cut in...

And many signal as they turn... am sure some of us does it sometime.

So.. U not gonna to have much warning..

Be ALERT! and give yourself space to maneouver if someone cuts into your lane.

Slow down will means lesser chance of skidding in hard braking.

Home of the Hornets

Street Smart

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/2100spectrum/PartyEnds.jpg

Merry Christmas to All

:icon-bouncefire: :icon-bounce: :icon-bouncefire: :icon-bounce: :icon-bouncefire:

It is a time of joy & merry making.

It is also a time to be cautious when u are on the roads after "Party Time"

Those that had one too many drinks May Not see so well..

That means they may just Not Stop at red lights.

And U will be a blur to them...

Best not to be on the roads during this season late into the night.

:happy23: :drunk:

And if u are drinking... leave your bike at the party or home & take public transport.

Home of the Hornets

Street Smart

• 2 weeks later...

Just wish to ask the experienced riders here. I was on the expressway which is 3 lanes and i was on the middle lane riding at 90kmh. Did not go to the 3rd lane as many slow lorries and buses there. All 3 lanes are full of vehicles.

Got a Opel car behind me high beam at me. I can close up the 15m gap in front of me but did not do so as i try following the 2s rule.

Should i

1) try to filter to the 3rd lane to join the slow moving vehicles ?

2) try to keep left of my lane to allow the Opel car to overtake me ?

3) close up the 15m gap

4) remain where i am and tap my rear brake to warn car behind ?

Thanks.

I'm not experienced at all, but I would say:

1. No reason why you should do that if you're riding within traffic speed, moving with the flow

2. I would avoid doing that, that's the best way to get in trouble (car tries to squeeze past you, other bike in your blindspot etc..)

3. 15m sounds a bit much, I would reduce it a bit, to calm down the driver behind me - depending on weather conditions, I assume they are good.

4. I guess that can work too...

The question is that if i close the 15m gap, i would be only at about 1 second behind the vehicle in front.

If the vehicle in front jam brake, i would surely crash into that vehicle. If i observe 2 s rule, the car behind would be frustrated. If i filter to the 3rd lane, i would be too slow sharing the lane with slower moving vehicles. What should i do ?

The question is that if i close the 15m gap, i would be only at about 1 second behind the vehicle in front.

If the vehicle in front jam brake, i would surely crash into that vehicle. If i observe 2 s rule, the car behind would be frustrated. If i filter to the 3rd lane, i would be too slow sharing the lane with slower moving vehicles. What should i do ?

U could close the gap slightly as following distances tend to become shorter in heavy peak hour traffic. But this will compromise stopping distance. Sometimes closing the gap slightly can be a good decision, but be mindful of front collisions.

If you observe 2 second rule when everyone else around you is observing 1 second rule, you will, as you say, frustrate the rear driver. But if you have no better position to move to, then you don't have many better places to slot yourself into anyway. And Mr In-A-Rush can't do much to you anyway. Holding can be a good decision.

If 3rd lane vehicle speed is similar to first lane, why not move in? Sometimes lane 3 can be faster than lane 1 because everyone is in lane 1 and 2. Overtaking by lane 3 or staying in it to gain rear space can be a good decision.

When all else fails, try to lane split. Accept high risk for a moment and get to an empty space in front. This depends on your risk acceptance level. But lane splitting too, can be good decision when temporary high risk is traded for relative space and safety in front of hoggers. Sadly, it is often abused :deal: :angel:

In essence, your decision depends on the situation around you. Always come back to this question "Can I make better decision to enhance my safety?" Keep this mind, and you are more likely to execute a better manoeuvre.

Edited by Pplater

P-plate should be an attitude to safety and riding. There's always more to learn.

10417710_10152885054228332_2597706433133321618_n.jpg?oh=a3e4c65165b15e5d659161c304211563&oe=54FB0965

Just wish to ask the experienced riders here. I was on the expressway which is 3 lanes and i was on the middle lane riding at 90kmh. Did not go to the 3rd lane as many slow lorries and buses there. All 3 lanes are full of vehicles.

Got a Opel car behind me high beam at me. I can close up the 15m gap in front of me but did not do so as i try following the 2s rule.

Should i

1) try to filter to the 3rd lane to join the slow moving vehicles ?

2) try to keep left of my lane to allow the Opel car to overtake me ?

3) close up the 15m gap

4) remain where i am and tap my rear brake to warn car behind ?

Thanks.

1) This will mean u get away from the Taligator asap. ok ah.

2+3) I will keep to the left 1/3 and close in a little bit so the driver can speed up, try to overake, den suddenly realise there is a car in front of me.

Sometimes if a bike is in the center of a lane, the car behind cannot see what is in front of the bike, mysteriously.

Moving slightly to the left will allow the driver to see more of the vehicle in front of you.

4) Can, but don't do it immediately after he flashed high beam. Just try to do it naturally.

Some drivers will take it as a retort and try to be MORE OFFENSIVE. It's like someone raising their voice at a customer service representative, if the csr raise their voice as well, sure volcano explode.

How about changing to lane 1 to overtake the vehicle in front of u so the Taligator will meet the HOGger? :cheeky:

lane split is also possible, but depends on ur comfort zone.

Be Safe & Wreckless