SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

STREET SMART

Spectrum

Hi guys, I've been reading this thread from the beginning, really interesting.

Just a question, is it weird to ride a RXZ with a full face hemelt?

ever seen a fino with full face, commented from the rider: safety 1st.

but some full face r like open face, jaw part so frimzy.

Accident can happen anytime, anywhere.

However ask yourself, do you want to fall at 120km/h or 60km/h?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my experience, 2 sec rule dont apply, all drivers OTR abide by 1 sec rule or lesser. u apply 2 sec, implying an opportunity for someone to cut btw u, making ur 2 sec to 0.5 sec, n if he jam brake, u know what happen next.

if someone tail u, u apply 3 sec or more rule, that fellow is gonna cut from ur blind spot n over take dangerously.

i disagree. i think 2 sec or even 3 sec rule is very useful. it's no big deal to let other vehicles overtake/cut in/change lane. the 0.5 secs, you mentioned can always be adjusted back to 2 secs, just need to slow down and give space.

2 sec/3 secs gives the rider more chance to read the road and predict what others will do, it gives more space to allow for rider to do things like lane change safely. and in wet weather, 2 secs is not enough.

the diff between car and bike is that rider will fly, or wheels can lock and skid if jam brake too hard.

I think there's a few posts in this thread about riding "with the flow" , that helps to keep 2 seconds or more - I myself like to keep 3 sec between my bike and the vehicule in front.

That's mostly because my bike has a rear drum brake that is as efficient as my telkinesis when I ride at 90km/h.

I do agree with Arthur, a gap invites others to cut in, but then again, in Singapore, people will cut in when there's just enough space for their front wheels and expect you to let them through, so it doesn't make a difference.

More space gives more reaction time, more options to swerve or change lane, more braking efficiency, and a more relaxed ride :thumb:

@swashylahs, a full face helmet is always COOL. Don't let the melon-wearing haters tell you different ! It's not the ride, it's the gear that makes a rider :lol:

Pulsarians Singapore on Facebook:

The Page: http://fb.me/SingaporePulsarians For general news and info

The Group: http://fb.me/groups/pulsarianssg/ For all the interaction

between Pulsarians, maintenance tips, accessories, trips & meet-ups and of course live answers to all your questions !

i disagree. i think 2 sec or even 3 sec rule is very useful.

the thing i'm trying to point out is dont leave a big gap; leaving big gaps, u're inviting chance for ur tail to cut ur blind spot, n if u're not watching ur tail, u'll be in for a scare.

similarly dont leave too small a gap; u know what happen next.

thus my last paragraph; no right or wrong, OTR, it's ever changing, aka no fixed rules. what u learn in school is a guage, OTR, u react accordingly.

Just wish to ask the brothers here. I almost got into an accident yesterday evening arounf 7pm around bukit timah road. A BMW turn from minor to major road into my way ( I am going straight on major ). I horn him but he still turn out. I had to make an abrupt left swing to avoid hitting him but i make sure i swing to the divider line and not to the next lane. I was going at around 40 kmh.

Should i had brake to allow him to cut into my lane? But i afraid cars behind would hit me from behind. Or should i install louder horn?

encountered same situation, bmw at bt timah road somemore.

he saw me, execute his turn, dispite he can rev up to speed, keep his snail pace. i horned n swerve to right lane, spotted oncoming vehicle, but couldn't be sure, swerve back n jam brake.

on the red light, pissed off n rode beside him, horn him to look at me, his gf turned, but he f care, horn him 2nd time, he looked n turn away, can't be bothered i rode off.

i'm using hella, loud enough for u? driver still dont care. so it's really what u see n how u react, there's no fix rule.

i see some talk about cocoon of space n i have mixed experience.

no doubt cocoon of space is good to travel, however when the vehicle behind lags too much, it becomes an opportunity for speed demon to become ur tail.

Each to his own I guess. Riding small bike, rev also not so powerful. Find it's safer to give way to vehicles than die die don't let them cut in. I rather get to my destination in 1 piece than be pissed at others or feel righteous.. No point anyway.

And about horning I also give up.. Rather focus on avoiding danger than horning. Mixed effect.

hmm, i haven't actually mastered HOV yet. but i find myself getting more and more reckless with my riding despite having a skid about 2 months ago.

my basic principal when i ride is to move to any area that has alot of space. more space, more area to move, to evade and predict traffic.

so far, no near misses. i am quite lucky to say i havent met any ******* drivers....YET. Could be because i driven most of my life in Malaysia where it pays to be more alert abit.

and if there's tailgater, i normally lanesplit to infront of the next vehicle. let the bugger tailgate all he wants.

my only area of weakness is not noticing bikes. i had like 2 occasions where i was surprised by a bike acclerating next to me and i didnt even notice it until he was right beside. kinda dangerous.

February 2011 - March 2012 = Phantom TA 200

March 2012 - August 2013 = Suzuki Impulse 400

Present = BMW (Bus, MRT, Walk)

922913_10151689291867959_1156170833_n.jpg

hmm, i haven't actually mastered HOV yet. but i find myself getting more and more reckless with my riding despite having a skid about 2 months ago.

my basic principal when i ride is to move to any area that has alot of space. more space, more area to move, to evade and predict traffic.

so far, no near misses. i am quite lucky to say I haven't met any ******* drivers....YET. Could be because i driven most of my life in Malaysia where it pays to be more alert abit.

and if there's tailgater, i normally lane split to in front of the next vehicle. let the bugger tailgate all he wants.

my only area of weakness is not noticing bikes. i had like 2 occasions where i was surprised by a bike accelerating next to me and I didn't even notice it until he was right beside. kinda dangerous.

I think checking your rear view mirrors more frequently can help. Especially on the expressways, where a bike can catch up with you super fast and stay in your blind spot without you really hearing it.

I often see bikes coming from far, but then I "loose" them: i know they must be in my blind spot and true enough, here is the bike overtaking me by lane splitting in acceleration.

On the road you can afford to check the mirrors only when something in the traffic changes (although i don't recommend it), but on the highway, you need to check every few seconds. Especially when all is fluid or cars are jammed: this is when bikes get to be faster or more adventurous in lane splitting.

Also, some bikes have really poor headlights and during the day, you can only see them when they are close enough in your rear view mirror.

Anyway, all this helps me not to e surprised by bikes, it used to happen to me just like you described it, but when I started checking my mirrors a bit more frequently, bikes don't take me by surprise anymore.

HOV is not easy to "master", I think it comes with lots of practice and self discipline. As you keep at it you'll get better, and the way you describe your riding focus, you're probably already better than you think :thumb:

between Pulsarians, maintenance tips, accessories, trips & meet-ups and of course live answers to all your questions !

Each to his own I guess. Riding small bike, rev also not so powerful. Find it's safer to give way to vehicles than die die don't let them cut in. I rather get to my destination in 1 piece than be pissed at others or feel righteous.. No point anyway.

And about horning I also give up.. Rather focus on avoiding danger than horning. Mixed effect.

Yup, I prefer to give way if someone tailgating me, provided safe n not difficult to lane change. However, for cars that insist on cutting in or lane change suddenly without warnings I will horn like mad. After a while I can detect such misbehaving cars by their front wheels and their inching over the lane and horn early most of the time.

I urged you to horn (but at same time slow down) because if some of these drivers are careless and you get knocked down, there will hopefully be some witnesses who saw the whole thing (because of your horning). Don't fade away quietly I always tell myself esp. if you are not in the wrong. Secondly, it's a disincentive for drivers to engage in such practices becoz no one likes to be horned at. So you are helping yourselves and other riders. Lastly, I feel that having a finger ever-ready to horn makes a rider more alert. It's a psychological thing. Being passive means you will become more and more reactive in dealing with dangers which in the long run is a bad thing in my opinion. Hope this helps and ride safe! :cheers:

HOV Motorcycle Safety Workshop 23 July 9.00 am to 3.00 pm

===========================================

The HOV Motorcycle Safety Class is here again.

Date: 23 July 2011 Saturday

Time: 9.00 am to 3.00 pm

Venue: 5 Shenton Way, UIC Building, #B1-10/12, Singapore 068808

Go hear for details and to register:

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php/194551-Hazard-Oriented-Vision-%28HOV%29-Safety-Ride-30-Aug?p=7159555#post7159555

29 Mar:

2009 Yamaha FZ1 Fazer Owner's Review

loudexhaust.blogspot.com

www.RiderAsia.com Safety site for motorcycle riders

Just giving my 5 cents of comment.

1) Look out for cars from Slip road / U-turning

YOU might be in the right of way, but car thought they are fast.. But they are fast in banging your side or your back.

2) Lane split

Look out for car's behavior, they will show you.. (swift left and right, get away/keep on squeezing, get away)

Look out for bikes NO matter how far they are away from you. They might just lane split into your front or your back. Give way if you are not a fast lane splitter..

I'm also a accident-free rider for the past 3~4 years.. I would say, learn from people's experiences instead of yours. Because you do not wish to go thru all those that people has went thru.. :)

Kindly read thru at least the intro section first before decide to post any comments.... thanks... :cool:

Please proceed to this website/web link if you guys have any technical issues on Kawasaki Kips/KR150, I'll update the 1st POST as and when there's a new question. Newbies questions on the top as well. :)

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6285055#post6285055

• 2 months later...

Most motorcycles accidents involve a short trip associated

with shopping, work, friends or entertainment.

50% of Crashes happen within the first six minutes.

So be extra careful when starting off.

The Factors are Attention & Concentration.

Transition from House to Bike, Office to Bike is High risk.

How focuses are u on the traffic hazards or is your mind somewhere else?

Every time U swing your leg over the Bike.

Take time to direct your Mind to the Task.

To focus on the road & traffic ahead.

Wipe things of your mind & tune in to the bike & ride.

Coach Outlet

Coach Bags

Coach factory outlet

Most motorcycles accidents involve a short trip associated

with shopping, work, friends or entertainment.

50% of Crashes happen within the first six minutes.

So be extra careful when starting off.

The Factors are Attention & Concentration.

Transition from House to Bike, Office to Bike is High risk.

How focuses are u on the traffic hazards or is your mind somewhere else?

Every time U swing your leg over the Bike.

Take time to direct your Mind to the Task.

To focus on the road & traffic ahead.

Wipe things of your mind & tune in to the bike & ride.

Nice say :thumb:

That's why I always say, I'm a different person when I'm seated on my bike compared to sitting in a kopi tiam chit chatting with you.. :)

Kindly read thru at least the intro section first before decide to post any comments.... thanks... :cool:

Please proceed to this website/web link if you guys have any technical issues on Kawasaki Kips/KR150, I'll update the 1st POST as and when there's a new question. Newbies questions on the top as well. :)

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6285055#post6285055

• 4 weeks later...

Hello peeps!

I have been following this thread and its really an eye opener to new riders like myself. I am wondering when the next HOV class will be? I would really reallyyyy appreciate if there was another soon. Its about 3 months since the last one, usually how long is the gap?

Thanks!

Class 2B: 12 Oct 2011

Eun Hee - Roadwin R125: 15 Oct 2011 -

• 6 months later...

Hi guys. I kena an accident recently, bike skidded. Injured my knee and elbow. Want to hear your opinion on the reason for my accident.

I brake using the front brakes and it just suddenly skidded.My handlebar become unstable and my bike just go down. It never happen before in my 3 yrs riding career.

Could it be :

1) Front tire thread thinning

2) Rain

3) Brake technique - but i never use hard braking, just normal braking.

4) Bike problem i.e fork, handlebar

5) Heavy rear, i using panniers on my phantom.

Hello peeps!

I have been following this thread and its really an eye opener to new riders like myself. I am wondering when the next HOV class will be? I would really reallyyyy appreciate if there was another soon. Its about 3 months since the last one, usually how long is the gap?

Thanks!

Have not seen one organized in a while, will try to contact the organizer directly and post here if anything

Hi guys. I kena an accident recently, bike skidded. Injured my knee and elbow. Want to hear your opinion on the reason for my accident.

I brake using the front brakes and it just suddenly skidded.My handlebar become unstable and my bike just go down. It never happen before in my 3 yrs riding career.

Could it be :

2) Rain

I don't think any of us can tell you for sure, you're the one to know best as you lived it. Other factors could be a patch of oil or sand on the road at that place ?

If you didn't brake suddenly and hard, and you were not cornering, it could be that.

And how come you injured yourself: no protective gear or it was a really bad fall ?

• 2 weeks later...

Could it be :

2) Rain

Guess would need more detail of your situation to indentify the reason for your skid.

Were u cornering? Your tires may have thread.. but too old.. the rubber is hard & don't grip the road well. Time to invest in a new set of rubber.

Good suspension means good road holding...

A set of good shock absorbers will give a more comfortable and ensure your your wheels stays in contact of the road surface most of the time.

Generally, when u lose your front wheel(Skid)... u crash.

U can skid on your back wheels and still remain stable...

part of the training @ Bukit Batok Advance Riding course(recommended)

So use more of your back in u are on slippery surface.

But more important is to look well ahead & do all your braking before u enter a slippery patch(avoidance is best).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/2100spectrum/logo/Signature23.jpg

Home of the Hornets

Street Smart

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I want to thank all the contributors for your sharing of experience and tips; it has certainly sharpened the safety aspects of the riding community; especially for newbie like me who whom have just acquired my 2B 2 weeks ago and started my riding in the real world.

The shared experience and tips have greatly enhanced my appreciation towards safer riding attitude and wearing protective gears despite I am riding a humble wave. The importance of HOV has even extended to my driving styles. Nowadays, I observe and study the road conditions more, anticipate and identify hazards early and respond accordingly.

Once again, thanks everyone for sharing and may everyone has a safe ride.