SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

STREET SMART

Spectrum

Riders generally develop their own habits in dealing with tailgators。These range from

1. Changing lane (most reccomended but not always possible)

2. Slowing down gradually

3. Lane splitting to get to spaces ahead

4. Holding 2 seconds rule from vehicle in front

Option 1 is my preferred choice because you actually “get away” from the tailgating situation before it happens。 It is possible to get away from many tailgating incidents by judging who will tailgate u before they do。 By moving out of the way early,you can watch them go tail others。I don't always do this well,so I rely on the other 3.

Option 2 invites more middle fingers and horning than I can recount。 The driving centre teaches you this but I have some doubts the instructors themselves will practice what they preach。This method agitates drivers and should only be used when necessary, such as when approaching junctions or bends-the situation calls for speed reduction.

Option 3 carries more risk than the others,but it resolves the tailgating situation most quickly。 This is one of the more favoured options because its gives riders a sense of empowerment and control。

Option 4 requires a rider to have a lot of self control。 Its easy to get angry by watching someone tail u closely and not doing something about it。Most drivers will tail someone else in a faster lane if they realize that they can't "push" you to go faster. Beware of vehicles entering your lane from the sides to use the space to overtake。Use your safety distance to accelerate when necessary.

At all times, never feel pressured to close the gap between yourself and the vehicles in front。 Tailgating is a form of domineering behaviour。 By responding in a non escalating manner, you take the fun out of their game。 It is not fun tailing someone who keeps holding their safety distance or moves out of the way by changing lanes or lane splitting。If you do not respond with a challenge and lose your temper, the tailgator gets nothing out of you。

P-plate should be an attitude to safety and riding. There's always more to learn.

10417710_10152885054228332_2597706433133321618_n.jpg?oh=a3e4c65165b15e5d659161c304211563&oe=54FB0965

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tailgaters will see you tapping brakes, cut across while very close to you and cut back in with the possibility of jamming brakes while just in front.. hoho ho seh liao..

yeah... juz kena on way home... i on BKE going 95k++ liao... fu*ker tailgating so waiting for when i could i would move over to the left lane for him to overtake... (btw inner most lane was not heavy)... but before i could do that the mo'fo overtake me on my left (squeezing in front of a pick up truck and me) went infront of me and started to slow down... basket... lucky i was aware when i saw in rear view when he overtake otherwise goodness knows what i'd be doing right now instead of typing this!

Grounded... :/

yeah... juz kena on way home... i on BKE going 95k++ liao... fu*ker tailgating so waiting for when i could i would move over to the left lane for him to overtake... (btw inner most lane was not heavy)... but before i could do that the mo'fo overtake me on my left (squeezing in front of a pick up truck and me) went infront of me and started to slow down... basket... lucky i was aware when i saw in rear view when he overtake otherwise goodness knows what i'd be doing right now instead of typing this!

You did well and handled it good :thumb:

We will always meet tailgators otr. Developing an SOP (standard operating procedure) we are comfortable with and applying it consistently will help get us to our destinations in one piece, and in a good mood. Its never pleasant to get angry over incidents. Guess all riders can emphatize and remember the last time they regretted their high risk behavior when they got angry. The best SOP for a rider is one he can use all the time, execute confidently within his means and reduce his risks. Everyone needs their own SOP.

Only when you never lose your cool otr will you be always be in control of ur machine, and life. If you manage this 100% of the time, pm me to tell me how u do it :cheeky: I'm still trying to get the hang of it.

P-plate should be an attitude to safety and riding. There's always more to learn.

10417710_10152885054228332_2597706433133321618_n.jpg?oh=a3e4c65165b15e5d659161c304211563&oe=54FB0965

Now my turn to ask a question to the old birds out there. 2 myths I seek answers.

1. Being tailgated is very dangerous and we we need to deal with it immediately by taking drastic responses.

Do u remember seeing the kup kia being tailed by heavy vehicles over long preiods? Mr Kup seems at ease with the situation, and u seldom see them going down.

2 Keeping to the double yellow lines and allowing cars to overtake u in the same lane is very dangerous.

U lane split with the same safety distance? Double standards here?

Feel free to respond folks :thumb: Opinions please :cool:

Though its not recommended....

So far if i got tailgate at nite . .I see what car is behind me.. Generally you will know if they are really in a hurry (emergency). Some are jus plain Bengs trying to be farny....

Most of the time i'll change lane let them past.

If they try to squeeze inbetween the car / car or car/bike beside me within moments of closing in on me. I'll STILL let them past.

Only those with HIDs who tail gate....... I konw their mentality cos i drive too. They'll always think that HEADLIGHT BRIGHT BRIGHT. Front Car will siam them cos they cannot tahan..(recently a lot of Ah bengs like to on Position light with HID fog lamps)

SO........ I'll let them past. In the midst of letting them past. My Highbeam switches on along with my foglamp and I'll stay within 2car lengths away behind them locking in on the best position to produce enough "payback" that they brought upon other road users

"An eye for an eye and the world will go blind!"

DO NOT GO TO DOUBLE YELLOW LINE ... ITS MOST DANGEROUS.

Either u Speed up find a spot and let the car go if not

=> still stay on the lane and TRY to find another empty slot and get out of the way .........

Thats only my opinion... dont quote me ah!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/anodise5757/project57/Hornbulbfoggiesbanner2013_zps6e758ef1.jpg

Click Here --> <CMO> Premium Products - HELLA, Philips & Osram

if all safety precautions like slowing down when reaching road junctions and accident still happens, the driver behind must be daydreaming..

this is exactly wat happen.. the driver daydream.. den the ger rider PPlate stop at junction kana buang..icu for few days.. tt's y now i abit scared sia will see rear mirror..if something not right throw bike siam..

and at side for tailgating..i'll always let those "Gan Tou Tai"(in hurry to get reborn) go first..chiong so fast for wat? let u go lo...no hurry anyw =x

Gooner For Life

Wat u see might not be wat u get...

Preception is reality

tailgaters will see you tapping brakes, cut across while very close to you and cut back in with the possibility of jamming brakes while just in front.. hoho ho seh liao..

I never just tap the brakes. In fact, I simultaneously tap the rear just a bit and add a bit of throttle so that I do not slow down, but instead move ahead a meter or two from the guy.

I find a good way to stay off tailgaters is to keep off the right lane unless I'm turning right or overtaking.

My other trick is to deliberately slow down, opening up the space in front of me, then rolling the acceleration to go forward faster than our friend behind, and preferably change lane too.

He who hesitates is lost!

Exercise due diligent while on the road. There are always factors beyond our control while on the road. That is risk a biker has to recognise.

Ride safely and World Peace.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/SV650_photos/P1140039.jpghttp://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/SV650_photos/P1130008.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x215/czh2002sg/handphonedriving.jpg

Handphone Driving-How to Spot Them

The SMSing Type

1. Tends to make abrupt steering inputs to centre the car

2. Makes Abrupt Braking inputs to correct following distances

3. May not hold a straight line even on a straight highway.

4. May delay moving off from traffic lights or drive very slowly compared to surrounding traffic.

This is due to taking the eyes off the road to text and checking his/her surroundings once in a while, as opppsed to an attentive driver who makes subtle and constant steering inputs and speed regulation.

The Talking Type of handphone driver-This type is harder to spot.

You sometimes pass them and notice them talking without prior suspicion.

1. With both eyes on the road, they tend to stay centre.

2. Seldom makes abrupt steering and braking inputs, but more likely to show delayed reactions.

3. More likely to show poor road awareness-driving slowly in fast lane or lane changing without due care.

Drivers who put on make up or read maps fall into the first category, the smsing kind as the eyes are taken off the road.

Also, as riders or drivers, when we are going to new places and spend more attention looking at the sign boards, we increase our risks associated with the smsing kind of drivers. Microsleep on the road also results in the combination of the above symtoms.

Looking at pretty things while you're riding also has the same effect.

Edited by Pplater

• 2 weeks later...
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x215/czh2002sg/Default.jpg

One of the most under-rated and under-utilized, but one of the most effective and essential piece of gear.

Recently I pillioned a fallen rider who was wearing the standard armoured jacket, full face and gloves to the hospital. Such gears, if u must insist, is the highly recommended but seldom seen set of gears for local riding or tours. The rider suffered deeps tears on the knee which took more than a month to heal although no surgery or stiching was required. The rider painstaking cleaned her knees everyday with sodium chloride and applied dressings to bandage the wound as instructered by the doctors.

Today evening, i pillioned another rider to the police station to make a report. This rider was wearing the same set of safety gear, but plus knee guards.

In both accidents, the riders' gear absorbed full damages. In both accidents, the rider was not at fault and could not have prevented the accident through rider's action. However, the rider without knee guard faced more than a month's inconvenience on public transport, having fat people banging into her injured knee, spending several hours a day travelling both ways to work, and endured much pain and suffering. The second rider only has a sprained wrist.

I have been riding locally for a couple years with mesh armoured jacket, full face and gloves. I'm getting my knee guards asap. I've seen 2 broken knees with torn ligaments from rider friends and pillioned 2 riders, one with deep cuts and one without. I've seen first hand how knee ligament injuries can cost upwards of $10k to fix, on top of many months of physio and psychological trauma. Ask any athelete and you will understand the knees are the most important to mobility. You could hurt your ankles or thighs and still hobble. But hurt your knees, and chances are u hobble with much difficulty. I've seen how knee guards can reduce injuries. I'm convinced the knee guard is the most under-rated but most effective safety gear for the rider. A knee guard with external strap on is easy to wear (you don't have to slip your leg through it), is cheap (less than $50), and is effective in absorbing the first impact's damage even if it flies off in a violent accident. The first impact is what causes the deepest and most distressing injury to the rider.

Just think about the first time u had an accident. Did you hurt your knees? While we ride safe and hope for the best, in times when we have performed what is humanly possible to prevent accidents but failed, we depend on our gears to reduce the suffering and pain. Your knee guards is your best bet to helping you walk to the motortiam to fix your bike without having to bring crutches along or being hospitalized and having your friends ride it to fix it for you.

New to SBF... Just wanna say that this thread is really great for those who are safety-minded.

Just a note about knee guards from a medical perspective. They are great for protecting your knee against many forms of injuries but they certainly do not offer much in terms of protection of your knees against ligamentous injuries. These injuries result from translational forces acting in opposite directions on your thighs and calves. They do not often occur as a result of direct trauma to the knee. eg soccer players and basketballers often get them as they change their direction rapidly during a game. In a road traffic accident, your leg hits the floor and twists but your thigh lags behind a bit and the ligaments in the knee holding them all together fail and give way.

That said, knee and shin guards are great in protecting the lower limb against lacerations and abrasions (ie superficial wounds), possibly even direct impact fractures such as that of the patella (kneecap). Best way to avoid ligamentous injuries is still to avoid being in an accident altogether.

New to SBF... Just wanna say that this thread is really great for those who are safety-minded.

Just a note about knee guards from a medical perspective. They are great for protecting your knee against many forms of injuries but they certainly do not offer much in terms of protection of your knees against ligamentous injuries. These injuries result from translational forces acting in opposite directions on your thighs and calves. They do not often occur as a result of direct trauma to the knee. eg soccer players and basketballers often get them as they change their direction rapidly during a game. In a road traffic accident, your leg hits the floor and twists but your thigh lags behind a bit and the ligaments in the knee holding them all together fail and give way.

That said, knee and shin guards are great in protecting the lower limb against lacerations and abrasions (ie superficial wounds), possibly even direct impact fractures such as that of the patella (kneecap). Best way to avoid ligamentous injuries is still to avoid being in an accident altogether.

Good info.. Think tats how i tore my ACL... -_-.....

Well.... i guess best is NOT to ride anymore...

Then again..... WTH.. hahahhaha

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/anodise5757/project57/Hornbulbfoggiesbanner2013_zps6e758ef1.jpg

well said sbf rui...

Protective gears can only minimize injuries. They can never fully eliminate them.

Best is still for us to avoid accidents. Thats why we all browsing this thread to learn from each other.

Anodise57 recovered from his knee injuries and it was he who started giving me leads for knee guards :thumb:

Yo.... ZH i think e insiration came from 2wheeler.... He's always don them eversince I knew him... Maybe look ugly but who cares...Ultimately when something happens....U don want pp come to u and "I told u so".......

• 3 weeks later...
Yo.... ZH i think e insiration came from 2wheeler.... He's always don them eversince I knew him... Maybe look ugly but who cares...Ultimately when something happens....U don want pp come to u and "I told u so".......

I got the idea from BBDC :angel:

BTW, I will donate a pair to HOV for samlpe

Edited by 2_wheeler

:cheer::cheer::cheer:

Wa, now then i see this thread, upz la, read le can feel power up eh? :lol:

And there i was crapping in front of the masters! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

:clap::clap::clap:

Learnt a lot from the posts here, am considering the HOV ride! :thumb:

Be Safe & Wreckless

Sin Ming Editor 1 day jail, $2k fine for pillion death!

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5326937&posted=1#post5326937

Yes yes, I've joined the "knee guard" club with 2_wheeler already! :cheers:

I feel so assured with the knee guards on whenever I rider around. And I don't think I need to say anymore about its benefits! It's really great!

And, JackOHJack... See you on the HOV ride on Sunday 9am! :thumb:

Biking is something that everyone can learn and enjoy! :goodluck:

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp344/s4dreamer/Laos%20n%20Cambodia%20Trip%2011%20to%2028%20May%202009/Poipet-Cambodia1.jpg

A motorcycling safety video advocating the use of riding gears, made by Singaporean riders for the local riding community

A motorcycling safety video advocating the use of riding gears, made by Singaporean riders for the local riding community

sianz... cannot access from work coz is listed as "streaming media" by the filter system

will check it out when i get back home...

updated 21:33hrs

just watched it... pretty darn cool!!! 2 :thumb::thumb: up!

Edited by antartica

• 3 weeks later...
I find a good way to stay off tailgaters is to keep off the right lane unless I'm turning right or overtaking.

My other trick is to deliberately slow down, opening up the space in front of me, then rolling the acceleration to go forward faster than our friend behind, and preferably change lane too.

Getting rid of Tail-Gaters

The best way of getting rid of them is to KEEP CLEAR OF THEM

Either by changing lane or pulling away if u have the power.

"His message is always I'm in a hurry...

U need to move out of my way.."

SO we'll just do that & get on with our life.

It is important to keep a constant scan behind that we

do not hold traffic behind.

Even we are travelling at Legal Limit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/2100spectrum/logo/Signature23.jpg

Home of the Hornets

Street Smart

one more type of road user we definitely have to watch out for are the

"Weavers"...

these buggers think that by zipping about lanes will get them to their destination just that little faster but every (unnecessary) lane change is great danger to themselves and those around them.

i guess the only way to avoid them would be similarly to tail gaters, and to let them have their way and as they usually would travel faster than speed limits without second thought, we could slow down a little and let them move on but do watch out for people in front of you having to suddenly slow down for them