SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Race Fairing rearset question

While browsing the numerous books and websites on fairing mods being done to ordinary sportbikes, one thing came into my mind: Legality.

Would a bike with a modified rearset be allowed by SG regulations if I were to ride my bike on the road?

My intention was to change my rearset, eliminating the pillion seat altogether, as well as to have a rear with a drastic shape change that its totally different from OEM manufactured ones.

Anyone with an insight on this? I wanna ride and race "solo", if you know what I mean :smile:

Co-Moderator for IT -inerary forum

Biker nerd • Windows • Apple Mac • Android user

"Kick up your sidestand bro, let's ride..."

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Followed to the letter,

Bodywork modifications cannot alter the OEM shape of the vehicle. For example, where cars are concerned, the additions should not protrude out of the basic dimensions of the car. Imagine the stock car, now imagine a box. The additions should not be beyond these imaginary lines. This even applies to spoilers.

Loosely,

Some alterations are allowed, however not in writing, but by mercy.

My suggestion:

Keep the shape as close to stock as you can.

As for the rearsets, there should not be a problem removing the pillion pegs, as long as you do not have a pillion of course!

I have heard stories of fines being issued for aftermarket rearsets, but honestly think it's bullshit. Cars can change pedals but we cannot? Pure Dung. Rearsets customize ergonomics making the bike easier to control and thus safer. However, there are ridiculous rearsets that are made just for style. Please avoid these. Go for something functional instead of "bling". So go ahead!

Ill be honest and say that my bike ain't 100% road legal.

The trick is to keep your nose clean, be alert and aware of what roads you use, at what time. In short, be an angel, riding "radically", will get you noticed even more.

Let's get away with it guys - Ride Smart. Ride Safe.

hAnG lOoSe,

Hartholomew Mamola

The REV Club

For riders, by riders, NOT SOME GREEDY F*CK OUT TO MAKE A BUCK

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/image.php?u=23316&dateline=1271137474&type=profile

Followed to the letter,

Bodywork modifications cannot alter the OEM shape of the vehicle...

However, there are ridiculous rearsets that are made just for style. Please avoid these. Go for something functional instead of "bling". So go ahead!

Hmm, "Ride Smart, ride safe, then worry when you will get pulled over by ROV". Sheesh :sian:

I'm a peace-loving road biker, but my bike has got to have certain aspects of it changed if I were to bring it out for track use 75% of the time.

One thing's for sure, I aint gonna have a pillion and I definitely want something functional...I was thinking: GP style rear cowl like em Aprilia 125's -- would you describe this mod as "functional" in your opinion?

http://i8.tinypic.com/4zwgkuu.jpg

However, there are ridiculous rearsets that are made just for style. Please avoid these.

Uh huh, i'm not going down that path. I'll leave that to the others who like to flaunt their bikes.

Cheers.

Hmm, "Ride Smart, ride safe, then worry when you will get pulled over by ROV". Sheesh :sian:

I'm a peace-loving road biker, but my bike has got to have certain aspects of it changed if I were to bring it out for track use 75% of the time.

One thing's for sure, I aint gonna have a pillion and I definitely want something functional...I was thinking: GP style rear cowl like em Aprilia 125's -- would you describe this mod as "functional" in your opinion?

Uh huh, i'm not going down that path. I'll leave that to the others who like to flaunt their bikes.

Cheers.

Hi RedBeacon,

"Hmm, "Ride Smart, ride safe, then worry when you will get pulled over by ROV". Sheesh"

I do not know how you meant this, but I detect some sarcasm in it. Is this directed at me? It looks like you have quoted the short phrase I posted and made it looked as if I was recommending you to be ignorant, until the law catches up - then worry when you will get pulled over by ROV". Sheesh

Apologies if I misconstrued it.

hAnG lOoSe,

Hartholomew Mamola

The REV Club

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/image.php?u=23316&dateline=1271137474&type=profile

redbeacon: I think you can get away with the Aprilia 125 look since the RS125 has that shape for some of the production years. But you still need to keep the lights and mirrors on the road.

Hartholomew: I don't think he meant sarcasm. Maybe he's just having a bad day.

RXZ NSR150SP SV650 CBR400RR GSXR1000 FZ6S VFR800 CBR1000RR R1200GS

Galant ES 2.4A Civic Si 2.0A

I do not know how you meant this, but I detect some sarcasm in it. Is this directed at me? It looks like you have quoted the short phrase I posted and made it looked as if I was recommending you to be ignorant, until the law catches up - then worry when you will get pulled over by ROV". Sheesh

Apologies if I misconstrued it.

Relax Hart, I don't think he meant any sarcasm towards you. My guess is, he was probably lamenting about the strict regulations in Singapore. You know, like sillypore and fine city... :cheeky:

Cheers.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii159/gnayed/n641300248_3172135_77.jpg

I do not know how you meant this, but I detect some sarcasm in it. Is this directed at me? It looks like you have quoted the short phrase I posted and made it looked as if I was recommending you to be ignorant, until the law catches up

Whoops. Apologies for the digression there sir. It's just that I hate 'em one-minded law enforcers in white. Grrr...

rhema83: You're right, I could get away with that look. But I'm going to have to retire my lil' beacon one day. A rear cowling is what I will need for my next one.

Whoops. Apologies for the digression there sir. It's just that I hate 'em one-minded law enforcers in white. Grrr...

Well, not all of them are like that bro beacon....They're just doing their job. For all you know, some of them could be track-fanatics like you & me... (Winks To Hart) :cheeky:

:slapforehead:

Redbeacon said: "Whoops. Apologies for the digression there..."

No worries mate, as long as you did not mean it the way I thought you had.

Anyway,

Yes, I think that the one-seat rear race cowl is deifinitely functional!

Redbeacon said: "It's just that I hate 'em one-minded law enforcers in white. Grrr..."

Nobody can deny, there are some of those that exist, but as they say: "it takes all kinds..." There are definitely some much more "realisitic" ones still around, although I have yet to meet an ROV of such manner...

Shark said: "For all you know, some of them could be track-fanatics like you & me... (Winks To Hart)"

You got that right!

hAnG lOoSe,

Hartholomew Mamola

The REV Club

• 2 weeks later...

bro by rearset do u mean ur

tail fairing or

ur footrest & brackets? rearset normaly refer to racing footrests

my fren once got summon for using one seater.. it says there

"pillion seat missing" or sth like dat.

as far as i know, seating configuration in vehicle canot be change. like if a car is meant to be five seater, u canot bin the passenger seat to make it into two seater. same like other vehicles.

why not make a one seater, but standby a simple pad that can make as a pillion seat. i've seen in magazine they use suction cup like the one paste on bathroom wall. dunno how effective.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4081/4931040347_0bda87b07d_b.jpg

KeraKing,

Was your friend that got summoned carrying a pillion?

I ask because we all know that there are some bikes out there that come with a single seat cowl to cover up the pillion seat.

I have been stopped by ROVs so many times on my 636 which had a race tail. Never got questioned at all, probably because I was not carrying a pillion.

hAnG lOoSe,

Hartholomew Mamola

The REV Club

or was that due to some other reason mr mew mew

Don't just break your laptimes, SHATTER them!!

Insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results - Albert Einstein, a German born theoretical physicist widely known as one of the greatest of all time

Very funny Amba,

Tamade Hun Dan,

I still got booked for not having a mud flap yo!

hAnG lOoSe,

Hartholomew Mamola

The REV Club

bro by rearset do u mean ur

tail fairing or

ur footrest & brackets? rearset normaly refer to racing footrests

my fren once got summon for using one seater.. it says there

"pillion seat missing" or sth like dat.

as far as i know, seating configuration in vehicle canot be change. like if a car is meant to be five seater, u canot bin the passenger seat to make it into two seater. same like other vehicles.

why not make a one seater, but standby a simple pad that can make as a pillion seat. i've seen in magazine they use suction cup like the one paste on bathroom wall. dunno how effective.

Ai yai yai...yah I meant rear cowling. Didn't get that bike part right.

Try that on this one-seater!

http://i7.tinypic.com/4ucr8ee.jpg

(Disclaimer: Suction cups not included with bike pictured above)

-

I do have a friend who was booked for having a single sitter on his Busa recently... The most ridiculous thing is that he was using the original Suzuki Hayabusa hump.... The reason given was, "if ur bike is registered to carry a pillion, u must have a seat behind for the pillion, even though u dun intend to fetch anyone.......

Lame......

99-01 > Mito 125, NSR 150

01-03 > Honda VFR 400 NC30, Aprillia RS250

03-05 > '02 YZF R1

05-07 > '05 Suzuki 600 K5, Wave 125, Nuovo 110

07-08 > '03 T-MAX [5GJ]

08-10 > '07 T-MAX [5VU], '08 T-Max [4B5], 08 R6

05-10 > DUCATI 749 Dark Mono

10-11 > CBR 1100XX, 2010 Busa

13-14 > RC51 SP2

14-16 > Ninja 400R, Z1000SX, MT09 Tracer

Followed to the letter,

Bodywork modifications cannot alter the OEM shape of the vehicle. For example, where cars are concerned, the additions should not protrude out of the basic dimensions of the car. Imagine the stock car, now imagine a box. The additions should not be beyond these imaginary lines. This even applies to spoilers.

Loosely,

Some alterations are allowed, however not in writing, but by mercy.

My suggestion:

As for the rearsets, there should not be a problem removing the pillion pegs, as long as you do not have a pillion of course!

I have heard stories of fines being issued for aftermarket rearsets, but honestly think it's bullshit. Cars can change pedals but we cannot? Pure Dung. Rearsets customize ergonomics making the bike easier to control and thus safer. However, there are ridiculous rearsets that are made just for style. Please avoid these. Go for something functional instead of "bling". So go ahead!

Ill be honest and say that my bike ain't 100% road legal.

The trick is to keep your nose clean, be alert and aware of what roads you use, at what time. In short, be an angel, riding "radically", will get you noticed even more.

Let's get away with it guys - Ride Smart. Ride Safe.

Waaah, answered just like a pro.... seems like ur ex job scope is still swirling around in ur head huh! :) Cheers...

99-01 > Mito 125, NSR 150

01-03 > Honda VFR 400 NC30, Aprillia RS250

03-05 > '02 YZF R1

05-07 > '05 Suzuki 600 K5, Wave 125, Nuovo 110

07-08 > '03 T-MAX [5GJ]

08-10 > '07 T-MAX [5VU], '08 T-Max [4B5], 08 R6

05-10 > DUCATI 749 Dark Mono

10-11 > CBR 1100XX, 2010 Busa

13-14 > RC51 SP2

14-16 > Ninja 400R, Z1000SX, MT09 Tracer

I do have a friend who was booked for having a single sitter on his Busa recently... The most ridiculous thing is that he was using the original Suzuki Hayabusa hump.... The reason given was, "if ur bike is registered to carry a pillion, u must have a seat behind for the pillion, even though u dun intend to fetch anyone.......

Lame......

I couldn't believe this. Are they for real? What was the fine bro?

simple.. seat wif suction cup.

look like easy to make and customize.

duno how reliable or comfortable..

but can easily keep, in case kana question by tp u juz take it out from somewhere.. tadaa. pillion seat.

wat u guys think?

suction cup pilion seat.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4081/4931040347_0bda87b07d_b.jpg