SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Archived - 2009] PK Official- Questions for Newbie

zero_degrees

regarding the plug...

it looks weird in the sense that the bent electrode(earth side) is clean and the other parts are sooty..did you clean the plug tip??

.i am not comfortable with the soot...if it gets worse and wet then the combustion needs to be improved...

the conventional wisdom to check plug colour is as follows..

dry and whitish/yellowish......lean

brown...okay

black and wet ...rich

so i can only conclude that the combustion is going towards the rich side.

to those who wish to change different plug types..u have to understand

plug specification..what i mean is that what is good for race bikes is not neccesary good for phantom too..IMHO.:cheeky:

i did not clean it mepkoh. So i should tune it anti clockwise? how much of a turn do you reccomend?

also, i cant find a place that sells a spark plug gap tool. Even ah boy do not carry it. where can i find one?

Dragstar 400 classic & Zx6r

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i did not clean it mepkoh. So i should tune it anti clockwise? how much of a turn do you reccomend?

also, i cant find a place that sells a spark plug gap tool. Even ah boy do not carry it. where can i find one?

yeah..adjust by quarter of a turn ..anti i think...clean spark plug before u ride..thne check after 200km ride??..and confirm whether it is working..

do not adjust too much too lean mix....ur not so young bike will do that for u eventually...hehe..auto to lean.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time:dot:

hi, i have observed some unqiue sign from my bike, could you all explain to me what is happening.

my ride:ta150

Condition: regulary taken care

Whenever i ride to school or back from school(around 30mins) mostly on the expressway(speed 90-110), after exiting the expressway my bike would start to have pop pop pop sound from the exhaust and seems to feel less power regardless of which gear i am in. The sound will not be observe on the expressway, only after exit!

From what my brother explained, is because i cruised for quite a moment then the exhaust metal parts get expands that's why got this sound. As for the powerless part, he say is my psychology problem.

hi, i have observed some unqiue sign from my bike, could you all explain to me what is happening.

Whenever i ride to school or back from school(around 30mins) mostly on the expressway(speed 90-110), after exiting the expressway my bike would start to have pop pop pop sound from the exhaust and seems to feel less power regardless of which gear i am in. The sound will not be observe on the expressway, only after exit!

From what my brother explained, is because i cruised for quite a moment then the exhaust metal parts get expands that's why got this sound. As for the powerless part, he say is my psychology problem.

sounds like backfiring...

http://photos.friendster.com/photos/78/20/5760287/2_900727903l.jpg

diy is my answer if u cannot find one..

wires,pins, plastic sheet,anything that is flat or round ...agak measure/ccompare with steel ruler..

the accuracy of using steel rule is +-..1/64 inches..how much in mm?/u go figure out.:cheeky:

o

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time:dot:

diy is my answer if u cannot find one..

wires,pins, plastic sheet,anything that is flat or round ...agak measure/ccompare with steel ruler..

the accuracy of using steel rule is +-..1/64 inches..how much in mm?/u go figure out.:cheeky:

o

Think can just by a steel wire of the dimension that i want from a hardware stall. Thanks for the head up.

Should be backfiring or your air valve is spoilt.

is it possible for a noob to remove

the whole top box plus frame?

e33 btw..

With the correct tools, yes. The shop shouldnt charge you alot to remove it either but the problem is getting them back afterwards. Also, note the holes after removing

done it b4. :) i removed everything from mine. i took out top box, side box and frame. cause i was changing my rear fender. haha. :) DIYed it. :)

My boxes, both sides and top, together with the rack are installed DIY.

If you need help can PM me, I will see what I can do.

Respect to the both of you.

hey guys,

i am going to buy a Phantom TA200, i would like to check with u all wad do i have to look out for when i go view bike...? I am quite pathetic in a sense where i cannot find any friends to go view bike with me, they just tell me that TA200 very easy to inspect, just listen to the engine, but then again, i am green as this, so i don't even know how to listen... and wad are the other things i should look out for...

Hope to hear from all soon, i am really quite desperate... =X

i know these kind of questions have come out before, but i could not find back the exact same post...

Thanks...

hey guys,

i am going to buy a Phantom TA200, i would like to check with u all wad do i have to look out for when i go view bike...? I am quite pathetic in a sense where i cannot find any friends to go view bike with me, they just tell me that TA200 very easy to inspect, just listen to the engine, but then again, i am green as this, so i don't even know how to listen... and wad are the other things i should look out for...

i know these kind of questions have come out before, but i could not find back the exact same post...

Thanks...

there are too many things to name. I suggest you do the transfer at planet motors at ubi and ask ah chong to do an inspection and quote the parts that needs a change. He can settle everything else for you over there i believe. Then you can negotiate with the buyer if there is any(prevent getting carrot too). Do not try this with other motorshops and if anything breaks down.. dun blame the mechanic.

hey guys,

Thanks...

if u viewing at north area can let me know. i can follow u to view together. :)

hey guys,

Thanks...

Do a search using Yahoo on buying a 2nd hand bike.

That's what I did.

Some important things to look out for are

1. Whether the bike goes straight, if not, either accidented, classis/forks bent or at best steering cone ball bearings gone. Do not buy. :eek:

2. Press the front suspension forks down check to see if they are oily after that. If they are, oil seal is gone, ask for discount for repairs. If suspensions don't even bounce back, :lol: this bike is badly cared for, you may want to look at other bikes.

3. Listen to the engine sound. Hard to explain here. :cheeky:

4. Check the chains and sprocket gears, if they are not well maintained, the rest of the bike is probably not well maintained either. :(

5. Check Engine oil if little or no oil, it's not well taken care of, the engine probably in bad shape. Seriously Reconsider. :nono:

6. Check inside petrol tank if rusted again ask for discount. :D

The rest of the nitty gritty stuff like scratches, seat leather, tyre wear, you go and read up on your own lah.

Motorcyclist are the nicest people on the road, try not to kill us.

there are too many things to name. I suggest you do the transfer at planet motors at ubi and ask ah chong to do an inspection and quote the parts that needs a change. He can settle everything else for you over there i believe. Then you can negotiate with the buyer if there is any(prevent getting carrot too). Do not try this with other motorshops and if anything breaks down.. dun blame the mechanic.

do i have to make a booking or wad...? then do i have to pay...? and when u said settle everything else means the transfer fee & insurance...?

do i have to make a booking or wad...? then do i have to pay...? and when u said settle everything else means the transfer fee & insurance...?

can call to check everything at 9am onwards anyday except sunday. From what i believe.. yes.

btw, just changed my airfilter and my fc from 31km/L increased to 34km/L. Heh. Nothing else changed.

Edited by Hydher

hey all.... jus to ask if some one have occur this problem.........my engine have currently getting hotter and hotter easily.. for a ride from BISHAN to CHINATOWN the exhuat pipe is quite hot... if not like usual..... can some one advice wat wrong with it?? hahaa... is it the air filter/spark plug/engine oil ? or need to do overhual???

TA 200'02 | JUN 2008 - JUN 2010

S4 SPEC3'07 | JUN 2010 - MAY 2012

FZ6 S2'07 | MAY 2012 - CURRENT

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af70/heskeydal/signature1.jpg

getting hot ah....

low EO? dirty EO?

lean mix..

fins choked??

wrong plug..ie plug heat range.??

yeah maybe your filter decided to have extra opening....holes...to cool it.

herm.... so it does not seem like a overhual ting ???

not necessary overhaul.....old bikes auto to lean mix with time...

if it is lean mix...the engine is performing perfectly ..good FC.

but this is bad for engine..hahahaha.

this is a result of air being sucked into the inlet valves without going through the carb..

solution is to tighten all joints leading to cylinder, decarbonise valves if necessary..sometimes reed vlave need to be replaced.

adjusting the mix or incresing idling will not solve problem....this is what i would term as a temp fix...high FC....and eventually fouling the valves..

Overhau definitions:this description is being used all the time....maybe it is time to end some misconception ...

bikes need to be ovehauled when she reaches 100km..a minor overhaul..

this include the following...clean and resets/change valves, cams, timing belts...new head gaskets. check piston and cylinders for damage/change if neccessary

check small ends of piston bearings/rings..chnage if neccessary.so this is a cleaning and setting adjustment..inspection. change worn parts.

at 200km major overhaul...replaced valves/seat, pistons head/rings, small ends/large ends bearings..

grinding of crank shaft bearings...and icludes all the adjustment detailed in minor overhaul

this is change parts and regrind shaft bearings..where the life is over.

this is how i understand by overhaul..

sometimes people say top overhaul..to me this = minor overhaul..

overhaul is usually a breakdown preventive maintenance practice.

after the first major overhaul ..the cycle repeats it self..

the cost of a major overhaul cost is about 2/3 of a new engine...so the practice is to scrap engine when 2nd major overhaul is required...

anyone has diferent ideas what overhaul is?? hope to hear from u all.

underatnds that SBS buses scrapped at 5million km...after several changes in engines..

the practice of overhaulling varies with practices..

the above is just a general practice.

understood... but 100km is jus a rough estimation>??? or standard guide?

mepkoh, you meant 100k km and 200k km respectively?

understood... but 100km is jus a rough estimation>??? or standard guide?

heskeydal, all these are "rule of thumb" figures for preventive maintenance. There's no hard and fast number. If the engine "time up" before the kms are hit, it still needs to be fixed.

mepkoh, you meant 100k km and 200k km respectively?

heskeydal, all these are "rule of thumb" figures for preventive maintenance. There's no hard and fast number. If the engine "time up" before the kms are hit, it still needs to be fixed.

thank you for highlighting the typo error..yes 100,000 km =minor overhaul

200,000 km major overhaul..

Hi,

Recently I start to hear a squeaking sound coming from under the bike when moving. Sometimes it's there and sometimes not.

Any idea if this is something to be worried about? Thanks

Just to update this old posting, yesterday bikeshop found that the ball bearing on the rear tyre is worn out, so this could be the cause of the sound.