SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

early settlement fees not transparent

Bike shops have been coming up innovative ways to make riders part with their money. This “Early Settlement Fee” is one of them.

In 2000 there wasn’t such a thing – in fact, when I paid off my bike back then with almost two years of installment left I INSISTED AND RECEIVED AN INTEREST REBATE.

In 2009 when I bought a bike, this loophole was effectively closed when along with the Hire Purchase Act which I had to sign, the bike shop insert an “Early Settlement Fee” agreement that I had to sign. Most buyers are too eager and probably thinking about their new rides to give much thought to the stack of papers the shops get you to sign. Little do they know that they have signed off most of their consumer rights, and given the bike shops pretty much free rein to penalize the buyer.

Months later when the want to early settle or sell off the bike independently the bike shops will gleefully rub their hands. Out comes the “Early Settlement Fee” or refinancing when you sell off the bike (more about refinancing further down).

A lot of people think the shops is financing the bike but that’s not really true – most loans the buyer takes are financed and fulfilled by financial institutions or banks. Bike shops make MORE money by charging you a HIGHER interest than what the bank or financial institution is charging them. Take a look at how cars are financed – both 1st hand and 2nd hand. The interest bike shops charge are ludicrous when you compare.

The problem is that we ALLOW the shops to take advantage of us. We don’t have a riders’ association or union that looks out for us.

When we start taking more personal and financial responsibility we can pressure the relevant parties, like the Singapore Motor Traders Association to do more for consumers/riders/buyers.

its the thing now, no one really look at the price tag of the bike now because 95% of the riders COI their bike

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/lotand/IMG_1124.jpg

Ride Defensively; always.

Class BB2BDC - 11AUG2010

Kawasaki KIPS -> 2010 ~ 2014

Aprilia RS125(09) -> 2014 ~ 2017

Class BB2ADC - NOV2016

Suzuki DRZ -> 2017 ~ 2018

Honda Revo -> 2018 ~

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I can inculcate young riders to save up and enjoy their ride later on because first they are young and the urge is surely there. bikes , babes and such but having been there and done all that, I can understand when most riders just sign the dotted line especailly when you have the shop seller urgin you sign here, there , next page, , this , that until you dont know what you have already signed.

In my true sense, I think that paying off a bike with its interest is sufficient.

Additional charges of "early settlement fee" is outrageous. What kind of loss do they sustain , in order to claim such a fee?

Very fortunate for me that no COI is involved.

Deal with a fair seller, not jump at the lowest price guys

In my true sense, I think that paying off a bike with its interest is sufficient.

Additional charges of "early settlement fee" is outrageous. What kind of loss do they sustain , in order to claim such a fee?

Very fortunate for me that no COI is involved.

Deal with a fair seller, not jump at the lowest price guys

That is how they make the sales. Usually with low(er) "machine" prices (or "OTR" for 2nd hand) than other shops without early settlement. Buyer is attracted by low prices upfront. Doesn't factor in early settlement fee, when added, will probably be higher than other shops with slightly higher initial price, but no early settlement.

Down the road, when you decide to sell off, the early settlement comes out. Typically, they offer to waiver the early settlement fee if you push in your bike at a low price for a trade-in to take out another bike with them. So basically, unless you decide to bite down and hold on to the bike, or risk a COI arrangement till all instalments are cleared, you will wind up paying more than otherwise buying a bike from another shop with no such penalty, but with a slightly higher starting price.

Smile! Tomorrow will be worse.

SBT #1149 Price List

I wish I can inculcate young riders to save up and enjoy their ride later on because first they are young and the urge is surely there. bikes , babes and such but having been there and done all that, I can understand when most riders just sign the dotted line especailly when you have the shop seller urgin you sign here, there , next page, , this , that until you dont know what you have already signed.

young ma, can play jiu play,can take jiu take.

somemore its 100,200+ per month, they will think 'aiya,so cheap only'. then you will see them selling it 1/2 year later

Class BB2BDC - 11AUG2010

Class BB2ADC - NOV2016

Honda Revo -> 2018 ~

That is how they make the sales. Usually with low(er) "machine" prices (or "OTR" for 2nd hand) than other shops without early settlement. Buyer is attracted by low prices upfront. Doesn't factor in early settlement fee, when added, will probably be higher than other shops with slightly higher initial price, but no early settlement.

Down the road, when you decide to sell off, the early settlement comes out. Typically, they offer to waiver the early settlement fee if you push in your bike at a low price for a trade-in to take out another bike with them. So basically, unless you decide to bite down and hold on to the bike, or risk a COI arrangement till all instalments are cleared, you will wind up paying more than otherwise buying a bike from another shop with no such penalty, but with a slightly higher starting price.

but thats how they learn, if im the boss, i am more then happy to let COI

Class BB2BDC - 11AUG2010

Class BB2ADC - NOV2016

Honda Revo -> 2018 ~

• 1 month later...

This is very true.

Glad I read this thread before I visited several shops shopping for a new revo. Reminded myself not to get too excited over the new revo but ask questions, especially about the OTR prices and other hidden prices.

1 of the shops kept insisting that the early settlement fee was only few hundred dollars despite I ask about how the shop calculate this 'few hundred dollars'.

I left the shop and gave my business to another shop without this fee instead.

• 2 weeks later...

I can feel you man but most shop also have this already but sometimes no choice buy already ma. My friend kena $1800 before from other place but heng his motor last quite long never really fork out any maintenance $.

IMO if you feel that the motor condition is good its ok.

------------

Edited by guangwei

17 Nov 2011 - April 2013, NSR150 SP

12 June 2013 - 23 Jan 2015, CBR400RRR

23 February 2015 - 29 February 2016, YZF R6 2006

12 March 2016 - 12 May 2017, CBR1000RR05

July 2017 - Jan 2019, YZF R1 2008/CBF150

Aug 2019 - Current SYM Joyride 200

That's why some of them are driving sports cars!! Pisses me off. Living on other peoples hard earned cash!

Good thing I found planet motors to do my servicing. Irks me if I have to go back to the same shop to do servicing as well as installment.

anyway just a thought, not sure about other shops, these shops only allow cash payments when it comes to installment. Anybody want to give an idea why only cash?

Ride fast..ride safe..don't crash...

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

experiencing the same issue here with my shop. left $282 x 38 months = $10,716.

was quoted $1,300 for early settlement.

so if want to settle early, gotta full cash $10,716 + $1,300 = $12,016.

i have yet to check the contract but it means either i mark up my selling price, or i ride for 3 more years.

kena knock by the shop! in future, do be careful when taking loans!

what a ripoff these ah beng/ah seng bike shops.......lol

You mark up your selling price, smart buyer will also know how to calculate how much its worth, and why should they be paying for the interest on your loan?

better u ride for 3 more yrs

• 3 weeks later...

I am paying 208 $ a month, 36 months installment, paid 1500$ as down payment and bought FZ16 on 18th April 2013. I am welcome to pay early settlement anytime. Even now n then i go to AS Phoon for minor repair or maintenance issues, very friendly and helpful mechanics.

lol my post was deleted

17 Nov 2011 - April 2013, NSR150 SP

12 June 2013 - 23 Jan 2015, CBR400RRR

23 February 2015 - 29 February 2016, YZF R6 2006

12 March 2016 - 12 May 2017, CBR1000RR05

July 2017 - Jan 2019, YZF R1 2008/CBF150

Aug 2019 - Current SYM Joyride 200

i think best is for biker to read before sign any document. buying bikes is not like buying HP or TV.

That why when i sell my bike, i always advise buyer to go bank if they need to loan and that is the best way out also less problem for me. :)

Edited by 736cc

Current Ride:

W650 Cafe Racer

FXSTC Softail Custom

TW200 Tracker

Zephyr ZII Custom

CB750K

CB400four

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n166/sgstreetbiker/IMG_0627_zps0816850b.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n166/sgstreetbiker/EBC0B2D1-5DB8-412B-BE85-D4E7DE4F0247-9859-000001DA1BB41B2E.jpg

Bank will give loan? But at higher percentage right?

Have to inquire them on vehicle loans, direct with finance coy oso good since you don't deal with the middle man eating up money aka 'Admin fees', its just a lil more troublesome.