SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Sensitive question.. Yipes.. Sorry!!

head first

Err.. Hi guys.. I truly apologise if this is a question that is VERY sensitive. Especially to those with big bikes...

Hmm...

What i wanna noe is..

Soft & subtle way = How much income do you guys (big bike owners) have to make per month to support your lifestyle? Especially those with own families, kids, and even those with a car.. Whoa..

Straightforward way = How much is your pay per month? :angel:

Me still living with my loving parents, 23, non-smoker, single (but happily attached, haha) , Super 4, pump in JB, income about 1K per month part-timer, studying.

Monthly trip to bikeshop to fork out $240. I give them the cash with squinting eyes and trying to look away.. Hahahaha...

Gonna start full-time work soon, and I was wondering how on earth you Big Boys do it.. Haiz... Sorry if i intrude into your financial life, but I really would want to own a Class 2 bike one day, and it would help if i get some tips..

Thanks for reading! :cheeky:

".......he who rides a bike, has a smelly chin."

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Err.. Hi guys.. I truly apologise if this is a question that is VERY sensitive. Especially to those with big bikes...

Hmm...

What i wanna noe is..

Soft & subtle way = How much income do you guys (big bike owners) have to make per month to support your lifestyle? Especially those with own families, kids, and even those with a car.. Whoa..

Me still living with my parents, 23, single (but happily attached, haha) , riding a Super 4, pump in JB, income about 1K per month part-timer, studying.

Monthly trip to bikeshop to fork out $240. I give them the cash with squinting eyes and trying to look away.. Hahahaha...

Gonna start full-time work soon, and I was wondering how on earth you Big Boys do it.. Haiz... Sorry if i intrude into your financial life, but I really would want to own a Class 2 bike one day, and it would help if i get some tips..

When I got my first Class 2 bike, I was earning $1.5K gross.

Of course, after installments, house bills, parents maintenance and marriage savings, wat was left was pretty little.

Technically, you can own a Class 2 bike at your current stage, albeit an older 2nd hand one.

And you can save quite a significant amount in monthly maintenance by DIYing some things.

But I would suggest you get your full-time job first, be stable in it, earn some more then consider carefully the merits of getting a bigger bike.

Hmm...

What i wanna noe is..

Me still living with my loving parents, 23, non-smoker, single (but happily attached, haha) , Super 4, pump in JB, income about 1K per month part-timer, studying.

me and my bite...combine pay 4k:dot:

Life sux..Take control ..and live it and pick yourselves up now.. die later

if the roads end ....i go off road

Honda Shadow ACE 400 1997

V-strom 1k

Dr 200

"Bikers Don't bleed, we mark our territory"...

"Bikers Don't leave our body behind , we just a smear on the road"

"Bikers Don't cry When we Die, we just let others do it on our behalf"

"Bikers Don't stop Riding,We keep cruzing after we Die"

i got my 1st class 2 bike GSX-R 750 k1 (used) when i'm in NS, i'm not a reg!

LEAF departure is B`cos of WIND pursit or TREE didn't ask her to stay?

U YEARN for wat u FANTASIZE den 2 realise who U should TREASURE...

å¶çš„离去是因为风的追足还是树没有挽留

你期望你所è¦å¾—, 但å´æ²¡æœ‰å‘现到你所真正ç惜的

http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~limtianc/achew_sig.gif

i was having abt 1.8k gross when i got my gsxr600. cost me $18k. downpayment 5k, installments per mth $320. after taking out installment, bills, home maintenance, it's still pretty comfortable for me

Me working for 15 years....liao..stil haven buy my dream big bike yet .. haha....

as long as u got a dream..u stil wake up next mornin wif a smile...

so dun hurry to change to big bike.. d idea is to enjoy every stage..b it 2b , 2a or class 2

1995 Rd135 (3months);1995-1997 Kawa K100 97-00 Honda Steed cool black;00-02 Suzuki Swift

02-05 Ford Focus;05-07 Nissan Sucky

07- Camry;jan 08 -feb 08 KRR ;feb 08-apr08 -- Cbr400 J model ;

mar08 - sept 08 Cbr400 R model ; may08 -oct08 KTM200; oct 08 - feb09 XR4 ; feb09-apr10 gixxer 750 Apr09 -June10 DR650;apr10-aug 10 Africa Twin; sep 10- current fazer 1k....Jan-13 FortyEight

when i got my 1st cl2 bike, i was earning $1.5k. i have to pay for the usual stuffs,i.e. installment, maintainence, housing loan, food, petrol... blah blah... which leaves me $0 at the end of the month... sometimes having to avoid spending $$ on lunch & dinner.... :cry:

now tat i own 2 cl2 bikes... basically nothing changed.... except installment x2, pay + $200, petrol goes up, baby needs $$$, more(much more) quarrels with my wifey... hahaha...

lesson learned: plan ur finance carefully, it's not just getting a bike... think of the future. with 1 more year of savings u can: 1) maybe afford a newer bike, 2) have more $ for expense and 3) get the current year new model instead of getting a "old mother chicken" and regret later.... :cheeky:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a48/Caramon22/8359ninjabanner.jpg

What place is this that is my world; what dark coil has my spirit embodied?

Prayne de crabug ahm rinedere be-yogt iglo kes gron!!!

when i got my 1st class 2 bike, its a used 9mth old R1.

it cost me near 20K otr.

my pay was only $1.5k gross and it didnt help that bike monthly installment was $452 per mth. haha

neway, i managed to survive. u got to sacrifice ALOT of things, such as partying, holidays, etc.

but frankly ask urself. u wana buy a class 2 bike for what purpose?

1) show off to frenz/family?

2) daily tpt?

3) touring?

4) track?

if ur answer is 1 & 2. den seriously, heed my advice, save ur cash. get a small bike.

if u're into touring and/or track, dun forget to put aside roughly $1K to get the proper equipment; gloves, helmet, jacket, pants, etc.

*ps. $1K is subjective. total price will depend on what kind/brand of gears that u wana get :)

one more thing. bigger bike comes with bigger risks. if u meet any mishaps/accidents/breakdowns, the repair bills may cost u an arm/leg for ur bike and/or for u the rider..

cheers :)

'90 DT200RR | '95 Skipper 125 | '94 RXZ 135 | '99 WRE 125 | '80 Super 150 | '99 KTM200EGS

'91 NC30 | '00 GN250EY | '03 YZF-R1 | '00 Y125Z | '04 X-1 | '06 R6

'07 GSX1300R

PC3USB | Ti-Force Sumo | BMC Race | Discacciati | Swage | Venhill | ZG | Motovation | Ariete | Michelin PilotRoad 2 | SPY Alarm

To add my statistics. My monthly gross is about 2.5k, bonuses excluded. I've got a litrebike for track/weekend use and a 400 motard for daily use. I'm comfortable only because i have no financial commitments apart from bike installments, hp bill and accident insurance premiums.

If i have family/kids to take care of, house bills etc then i probably wouldn't be comfortable.

Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing.

i wondering.. if next time i earn 1.2k++-- , only need to pay installment + self expense(no other commitment) . is it enuff for a cl2 20k+ sportbikE?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs605.snc4/58582_425759858089_606683089_4979174_1311643_n.jpg

i wondering.. if next time i earn 1.2k++-- , only need to pay installment + self expense(no other commitment) . is it enuff for a cl2 20k+ sportbikE?

maintainance??:faint:

Life sux..Take control ..and live it and pick yourselves up now.. die later

if the roads end ....i go off road

Honda Shadow ACE 400 1997

V-strom 1k

Dr 200

"Bikers Don't bleed, we mark our territory"...

"Bikers Don't leave our body behind , we just a smear on the road"

"Bikers Don't cry When we Die, we just let others do it on our behalf"

"Bikers Don't stop Riding,We keep cruzing after we Die"

I think owning a bigger Class 2 bike (900cc+) is similar to owning a small car.

Expect to burn 1k+++ every month on installment, petrol, maintenance and parking.

So take your pick: An R1 or a Perodua Kancil.

Only one cost stays the same. Parking for 1000cc and 50cc is the price:D

Some maybe earn

Some earn >3K, but find Cl2 siong because the pay is being used up elsewhere.

My humble advice is to get your financial footing well first before buying Cl2.

No point buy spanking new bike, but when top up petrol, servicing kbkb. Scrimp and save also not enough.

The ride is like only 1hour of your daily life, but if you are going to suffer for the other 23hrs, then doesn't makes sense rite...

I make enough to be satisfied for now, and I ride a Cl2. (No big deal. Anyone can do it.) But I got it 2nd hand because it makes the most financial sense to me. Makes me happy.

Hardcore

Planet Motorcycle Supporter:thumb:

I make enough to be satisfied for now, and I ride a Cl2. (No big deal. Anyone can do it.) But I got it 2nd hand because it makes the most financial sense to me. Makes me happy.
Getting a 2nd hand one is the easiest way to own a cl 2 bike. Personally, I hate the idea of paying installment and buying from bike shop. So save up and aim low first, until you can afford it.

Btw, I'm not sure what you mean by cl 2 bike. Cos there is a lot of diff in owning a 1998 CB1000 and a 2008 CBR1000. In fact some cl2 are cheaper than a newer super 4.

Email guay_hansen @hotmail.com

My blog at snowparang.blogdrive.com

http://www.pbase.com/snowparang/image/79866156/medium.jpg http://www.pbase.com/snowparang/image/95749015/original.jpg

Fwaahh... I didn't thought that when I said the Big Boys, its really the BIG BOYS. The Moderator replied to me first.. Waahh...

So honoured.. :cheeky:

Aniway, yeah, thanks so much for sharing ur experience, all of you.

I need to make only 2 more trips to the bike shop. Hehe..

Been riding my S4 for 2years this coming June. Was on my dad's Reliable RXK before this.

Well, technically, what one of you said regarding the purpose of me wanting a Class2 bike, well........... I would be lying if I told u guys it's not for show. Of course when u buy a bigger bike, your nose would be abit high, abit only.. Still remember the first day i rode my S4 back home from Eunos. Waaahhh.. The feeling is like.............. =)

Hehe.. But other than that, obviously its for the performance.

Definitely not for showing-off to friends or girls or guys even.

Track? Touring? Err.. Never in my life. But who knows, somewhere in the future... Furthest is Malacca to my grandma's. After that experience, I told myself never again to Malaysia, unless on a tour coach.. Haha..

Ya, I know I should start working first before investing on a class2 bike.. Thanks to all of you who suggested so.. Thank you guys so much...!

Err... Yah...

Bro arsie said something about getting a Kancil vs R1..

That made sense. But the thing is, I cant stand being in a car. Even in a lift sometimes i get dizzy. Quite claustrophobic. Haha.. Weird.

Yup, the thing is that, today, my expenses are only to myself and my parents. I seriously wonder how am I gonna manage once I start it on my own. Rice is pricier now. 10 years time? When i'm 33? Waaah..

I personally aim to get a GSX 750/1000 by the end of this year. Who knows.. Hope this thread is still going by then. Hahaha.. Then I can look back and bow down to everyone who replied to this thread.. =)

Financial mistakes are very costly, don't make the mistake of going small downpayment and long installments. A vehicle is use for transport and leisure, if you're paying out of ur nose just to upkeep it, then wat's the point. Life have more things to worry about than just a machine.

Buy a bike that suits you the best and fits into your budget, don't end up busting all your savings on the newest '08 models just to be cool. not worth it..good luck in making your choice!

I used to drool at the big bikes when I got a small bike. Then I saved like hell and bought a few big bikes one after another.. a 600, two 750s, and lastly a CBR1000RR.

Ya, its nice to own big bikes... feel like a king on the road. Enjoy the envious stares etc and it can quite a chick magnet too.

I guess I make enough money to be able to buy any of the bikes available in the market today...yet the DRZ400SM is the best bike I have ever owned.. up till today. Simply because it serves my needs very well... both as a track bike and a daily transport bike.

In the end... it really boils down to Needs versus Wants which can sometimes drive people to over commit financially. If you have to drastically change you current lifestyle to own the bike... you are over committing financially. I will never allow that to happen. You need to ask yourself.... do you need that bike or do you just want that bike.

Good luck on your decisions and bike hunt. :thumb:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o104/angelo_neo/IMG_1208-1.jpg

FAA licenced motorcycle mechanic :angel:

Add me: http://www.facebook.com/raptormotorsports

as long you make a decent amount, i am sure most can "afford" a class 2 bike.

it just depends how long is your loan.

which is why you see so many young people riding all the latest sportbikes.

for all my previous bikes, i never took any loans.

few years back, i was only able to full pay a '05 R6. (was supporting a car too)

i envy those who could buy the R1 that time.

but i do feel better when i know my bike is fully paid for and not on any installments.

also for cars, usually i downpay around 50-60% and take a max of 3 years loan. this "loan" is pretty cheap at 2.5-2.8%, i can get much better returns from the market with the money.

good advices here!

im thinking of buying a r6..

but now im in ns and also working part time outside..

bring back $1k per month (ns allowance and part time salary)..

i really find it hard to control my temptations to buy a big bike..

but wats keeping me back is the fact that im in still in ns and my spark 135 is still under installments. i dun wan to burden myself with 2 installments.

my dream is still to buy a r6 FULL CASH! hahha! still got a long way to go to save!

thanks for all the advice.. really useful!

To think back on owning an 07 now and previously 04 R1, if not of the turning point of my life, i would have kept my 01 instead with fully paid up bike.:cry:

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5048/10304130.jpg

"But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth."

i tink the installments for big bikes are the ones that are killing the riders..

its really better to have a higher downpayment and low installments rather than the other way round!

its easy buy a bike but hard to keep it running!