SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Sensitive question.. Yipes.. Sorry!!

head first

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good morninghttp://nsaney.com/pics/cat_wet.jpg

Life sux..Take control ..and live it and pick yourselves up now.. die later

if the roads end ....i go off road

Honda Shadow ACE 400 1997

V-strom 1k

Dr 200

"Bikers Don't bleed, we mark our territory"...

"Bikers Don't leave our body behind , we just a smear on the road"

"Bikers Don't cry When we Die, we just let others do it on our behalf"

"Bikers Don't stop Riding,We keep cruzing after we Die"

I think for TS, good planning will help if he really wants to get a class 2 bike.

It helps to have a spreadsheet out detailing your expenses for the month so you know how much you can commit per month.

Its not just maintenance, petrol & installments.

There will also be the irresistable temptation of mods, accessories and apparels.

Always.

So its always good to plan so you know where you stand and where you don't.

So true. Though with only a limited amount of income, I still managed to up my bike with a few mods here, few accessories there. Hahaha... Can't resist it. S4 some more. So easy to get mods. Hehehe..

Yup.. I appreciate so much for all ur help and pointers. At least it gives me a guide on the financial aspect on owning a class 2 bike. Well, reading up all the replies, I went to Ubi's CDC to book my class2 lessons last Friday. Like suddenly I have the 'power' like that.. Haha.. Dunno how to explain, but it feels great..

".......he who rides a bike, has a smelly chin."

So true. Though with only a limited amount of income, I still managed to up my bike with a few mods here, few accessories there. Hahaha... Can't resist it. S4 some more. So easy to get mods. Hehehe..

Yup.. I appreciate so much for all ur help and pointers. At least it gives me a guide on the financial aspect on owning a class 2 bike. Well, reading up all the replies, I went to Ubi's CDC to book my class2 lessons last Friday. Like suddenly I have the 'power' like that.. Haha.. Dunno how to explain, but it feels great..

tats e feelin i always have when its time to upgrade.. whaha

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs605.snc4/58582_425759858089_606683089_4979174_1311643_n.jpg

Is your S4 brand new?

I sold my S4 because I realise it only cost a bit more to get myself a cl2 bike. The diff is in the petrol and insurance. And tires. Cost wise, a brand new S4 equates to say 5 yrs old 600.

Someone said 2k to maintain a car and bike....to me, I think 2k is not even enough to maintain a car.

Email guay_hansen @hotmail.com

My blog at snowparang.blogdrive.com

http://www.pbase.com/snowparang/image/79866156/medium.jpg http://www.pbase.com/snowparang/image/95749015/original.jpg

in my view, a combine income of 8k is just nice to make both ends meet.

2 children, 1 house and 1 car = barely meet

Class 2B: 11 May 2001 | Class 2A: 06 Oct 2009 | Class 2: 21 Dec 2010

Class 3 : 26 Sep 2003 | Forklift Licence: 06 Dec 2005

2001-2001 : Honda NSR SP 150

2002-2002 : Honda XR 200

2005-2005 : Honda Wave 125S

2006-2006 : Honda TA200

2008-2010 : Gilera VXR 200

2011-2014 : Honda Cbr 600

2014-Current: Yamaha FZ1S

2010-Current: Kia Picanto OPC

Fwaahh... I didn't thought that when I said the Big Boys, its really the BIG BOYS. The Moderator replied to me first.. Waahh...

So honoured.. :cheeky:

Aniway, yeah, thanks so much for sharing ur experience, all of you.

I need to make only 2 more trips to the bike shop. Hehe..

Been riding my S4 for 2years this coming June. Was on my dad's Reliable RXK before this.

Well, technically, what one of you said regarding the purpose of me wanting a Class2 bike, well........... I would be lying if I told u guys it's not for show. Of course when u buy a bigger bike, your nose would be abit high, abit only.. Still remember the first day i rode my S4 back home from Eunos. Waaahhh.. The feeling is like.............. =)

Hehe.. But other than that, obviously its for the performance.

Definitely not for showing-off to friends or girls or guys even.

Track? Touring? Err.. Never in my life. But who knows, somewhere in the future... Furthest is Malacca to my grandma's. After that experience, I told myself never again to Malaysia, unless on a tour coach.. Haha..

Ya, I know I should start working first before investing on a class2 bike.. Thanks to all of you who suggested so.. Thank you guys so much...!

the first day i rode my g4 was the day i was hoping the poor thing doesnt die on me half way. got it cheap since it was in a horrible condition when i got it, but i spent quite a pretty penny getting it usable again. its still a work in progress.

a cb400 is more than enough for singapore roads. that little guy can out accelerate any other car that you will normally see on the roads to get out of sticky situations, so performance wise yeah its enough.

you can already comfortably head up north with your current bike. our folks riding Bajaj Pulsars (180cc bikes!) managed to reach Melacca without major incident.

its been two years? i assume that your hire purchase agreement has already been terminated? if you are thinking of selling your s4, id advice against it. if you have a big bike it would be good to have another smaller bike as a fall back bike, just in case your other bike has problems.

i suppose you could buy one brand new and rest assured that it will have no problems unless you cause them, but i believe that the satisfaction of reservicing an old bike back would be greater. either way its up to you whether or not you want to get a new bike or not.

good luck on your career prospects. study hard!

Bajaj Pulsar 180 - UG3 (2007 - )

Suzuki GSXR-400 (2008 - 2009)

Piaggio Vespa GT 200L (2009 - 2011)

Yamaha YBX 125 (2010 - )

Yamaha FZ S1 '05 (2011 - )

to me,

youth only comes once. F**k money and live ur dreams b4 u cant.

If u have $100, spend 95.

Thats the kind of living i am talking about. Whats the point of living under a tight belt?

When u are ready for parenthood marriage etc. Then sit down and think and plan.

And thats the way the cookie crumbles.

Gilera Runner 06` 04/07 - 11/07

Toyota Axio- 11/07 - 02/08

Mitsubishi Lancer Ex - Current to ??/??

Honda Cb400 Vtec 1 06/08 - 02/09

CBR600RR '08 12/09 to ????

Is your S4 brand new?

I sold my S4 because I realise it only cost a bit more to get myself a cl2 bike. The diff is in the petrol and insurance. And tires. Cost wise, a brand new S4 equates to say 5 yrs old 600.

Someone said 2k to maintain a car and bike....to me, I think 2k is not even enough to maintain a car.

Err.. No lah.. An FR bike. Been with it for almost 2 years this June.

'Cost a bit more...."? What do you mean?

a cb400 is more than enough for singapore roads. that little guy can out accelerate any other car that you will normally see on the roads to get out of sticky situations, so performance wise yeah its enough.

you can already comfortably head up north with your current bike. our folks riding Bajaj Pulsars (180cc bikes!) managed to reach Melacca without major incident.

its been two years? i assume that your hire purchase agreement has already been terminated? if you are thinking of selling your s4, id advice against it. if you have a big bike it would be good to have another smaller bike as a fall back bike, just in case your other bike has problems.

i suppose you could buy one brand new and rest assured that it will have no problems unless you cause them, but i believe that the satisfaction of reservicing an old bike back would be greater. either way its up to you whether or not you want to get a new bike or not.

good luck on your career prospects. study hard!

Yaaaa... That was what I was thinking too. Cos I don't think that I would be selling/trading my current bike for a bigger one. I don't even think that it will be of a high value anymore cos it's an FR plate. Will be heading to the bike shop one last time on 12th June. Then the bike would be 'legally' mine.

Err.. Right? Something like that la. Hahaha..

The thing is, the COE expires June 2009. So........ Ya.......... I was thinking of renewing it, and just keeping it. A 2nd, fully paid bike, is definitely useful to accompany my mum to Sheng Siong, or the wet market. =) Hahaha..

Thank you for your advice and pointers.. I sincerely appreciate it. And thank you for your motivation.. :cheeky:

You are so fortunate to be able "make enough money to be able to buy any of the bikes available in the market today".. Good for u! :thumb:

I wish I would be able to go down the same road as you did. Hmm.. Regarding the Needs vs Wants......

Well, that's a definitely a tough decision to make. I believe nobody in SG would really need a big bike. Even for touring, or going to track, I believe that it is also a 'want' too.. Nobody really needs to go to track or go to Genting on a monthly basis.. BUT to each his own. I may be wrong here.. :cheeky:

I dunno.. Definitely the lure of it is really tempting. But then when i see those lao jiaos at the checkpoint pushing the bike with their feet during traffic jams, I'm really glad my bike is only a S4. Cant imagine what it's like for a 60kg guy like me to push/straddle a busa. Good god. :giddy:

I got my class 2B license waaaay back in 1999 Jan. And it took me until 2 years ago to get a class 2 bike. I know (and it seems like you know too) that owning a cl2 sports bike is expensive. Brand new and the bike price would kill, buy a second hander, the parts would kill you. Crash either one and you would be wishing that you died in the crash.

Lets take a conservative estimate okay?

Monthly stuff

Installment - $300

Parking - $17 (HDB MSCP)

Fuel - $300 (might be less, depends on your trip distance)

Annual stuff

Road Tax - $300 ($500 if you were stupid enough to get a litre plus bike like me!)

Insurance - $600

Misc stuff

Tyres - $400plus

Engine oil + filter - $100plus

Brake pads - $100plus

You still with me yet? Based on the above, more than $600 would go towards your cl2 dream. But that is not all, you gotta set aside at least $150 everyonth for the the inevitable running costs like tyres, pads, servicing, etc. The remaining amount of money would go towards the yearly road tax and insurance.

Is that too much to ask for that hour or so of local riding? If it is a worthwhile price to pay, welcome to the club.

Riding a big bike is really fun, trips up north, track days... but there is a price to pay for it.

to me,

Thats the kind of living i am talking about. Whats the point of living under a tight belt?

Yes, there are many Singaporeans who did what you mentioned. Thats why we often get to see 1 year old bikes on lelong because the rider ran into finiancial difficulties and can't pay when road tax and insurance season comes by. Good for buyers, sad for sellers.

to me,

This is so true.

At a much older age, married life and my first kid in July, I looked back in life and see so much dreams unfulfilled.

If only I had abandoned reason and took the risk....

But when I look at it again, I realized its not as bad as it looked. I can still fulfill most of my dreams. What I can't, I can only hope my son will carry it on.

I'm still young (27), my life is pretty much stabilized as much of the hard parts in life has passed me (marriage, house, commitments).

All while still financially stable (a few loans here and there but all short-term and nothing to tie me down the rest of my life).

So, you can take a gamble to fulfill some of your dreams in your youth.

But doing that and spending the rest of your life in huge debts is not feasible either.

This is so true.

At a much older age, married life and my first kid in July, I looked back in life and see so much dreams unfulfilled.

But when I look at it again, I realized its not as bad as it looked. I can still fulfill most of my dreams. What I can't, I can only hope my son will carry it on.

I'm still young (27), my life is pretty much stabilized as much of the hard parts in life has passed me (marriage, house, commitments).

All while still financially stable (a few loans here and there but all short-term and nothing to tie me down the rest of my life).

So, you can take a gamble to fulfill some of your dreams in your youth.

But doing that and spending the rest of your life in huge debts is not feasible either.

As much as we want to safeguard ourselves in life,

I guess there is a time for us to really take the plunge on certain decisions of life...I mean, not to disregard thinking thoroughly about it but there are times when you just have to follow what you feel...

If I have not bought a bike... definitely I would have been able to go for holidays to europe, south america, USA, canada... and yeah, fulfil my dreams of travelling...

but sometimes, i guess, you just have to follow your heart... but of course, with open eyes...

I mean, why buy a bike then... why have your own private transport then? why even get married then?

There are things as much as we like to thoroughly think about, we can only fathom fully once we take that step and not look back...

and just move on forward and plan the days ahead with the new responsibilities we have once the decision was made...

The bottomline... live within your means...

I know of people earning 5 figure but is still in serious debt...

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/4/26/129167583988157915.gif

Suzuki Saoirse - "Freedom"

"My biggest error? Something that is to happen yet."

Ayrton Senna

s4 change oil 4 bottles at a time..which may reach 60-100+..if u give her the best of course more..spark plug if u give iridium which may cost 25 each..reach another hundred..jus contributing wad i know..i don own one.

3.2L for oil filter (OF) change and 3L for no OF change.

May 2005 - July 2007: Honda Phantom TA200 (FU 3*** S)

July 2007 - Dec 2016: Honda CB400 Spec III (FBB 7***X)

Dec 2016 - Aug 2017: Yamaha FZ1N (FBD 4***E)

Aug 2017 - Present: Kawasaki Z1000SX (FBF 6***B)

Boono :cool:

Hey TS, if u dun like touring on bikes then there is really no point in getting a CL2 bike. Wasted on Sg 90kmh e-ways.

May 2005 - July 2007: Honda Phantom TA200 (FU 3*** S)

July 2007 - Dec 2016: Honda CB400 Spec III (FBB 7***X)

Dec 2016 - Aug 2017: Yamaha FZ1N (FBD 4***E)

Aug 2017 - Present: Kawasaki Z1000SX (FBF 6***B)

Boono :cool:

This is so true.

On the other side of the coin, if you HAD abandoned reason, you might not have what you have now. Many people make foolish decisions in their youth & take years & years to recover from it. Life is good with what you have now, be content & look ahead, not back :)

BlackDawn aka kiamh

"There is no man more free than the one who doesn't give a damn what society thinks of him"

Hey TS, if u dun like touring on bikes then there is really no point in getting a CL2 bike. Wasted on Sg 90kmh e-ways.

Depends on what you are riding. My 1200cc VTwin is an extremely competent city ride, with torque everywhere on the powerband to react to city traffic, but totally not suited for touring.

Oh, to the forummer who asked if $2k can support a Cl2 bike AND a car? THAT IS FINANCIAL SUICIDE.

BlackDawn aka kiamh

"There is no man more free than the one who doesn't give a damn what society thinks of him"

Alternatively, upgrade your pay and become immune to the running costs. :lol:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/arakyo/16012011003.jpg

Do Not Tailgate Me!

Didn't say I didn't like touring. Just that I've not had the opportunity to do so....YET. Sure.... I did tried out once (not even sure it counts as touring) to my grandma's at Malacca. No doubt it was fun and a whole new experience to savour. But I can't feel my butt once I arrived. That's why I told myself not again. But who knows in the future if I have the opportunity to do so.....or if suddenly my grandma decide to move further up to Ipoh. =)

Oh.. And to Bro AKG.. Yup. I'm still with ya. And makes my head spin thinking about it.. Hahaha.. See how la eh.. So it took you a number of years to own a class2 bike.. Intresting. Thanks for the mathematical breakdown. I'll definitely keep those figures in mind..

• 1 month later...

used to hav a r606 wif me when im stil a reg.. installment 485 a mth.

after ord.. 485 seems soooo much .. sell it off and paid full cash 8k for ST11.. happy wif current bike as no need to scratch head for installment anymore.. and i can go tuoring wif it.. and fuel economy.. 1 stone hit 3 bird.. :cheeky:

b4 i ord i was alrdy tinking whether can i cope wif 485 a mth for my r6..

kinda hard decision for me to sell as me and my gf love it alot.. but since i does go touring sure shd be along wif me.. and dun wan her to suffer behind me as i ride.. wan to giv her a more comfy ride up north.. so ST11 is my choice..

used to hav a r606 wif me when im stil a reg.. installment 485 a mth.

after ord.. 485 seems soooo much .. sell it off and paid full cash 8k for ST11.. happy wif current bike as no need to scratch head for installment anymore.. and i can go tuoring wif it.. and fuel economy.. 1 stone hit 3 bird.. :cheeky:

b4 i ord i was alrdy tinking whether can i cope wif 485 a mth for my r6..

kinda hard decision for me to sell as me and my gf love it alot.. but since i does go touring sure shd be along wif me.. and dun wan her to suffer behind me as i ride.. wan to giv her a more comfy ride up north.. so ST11 is my choice..

ya touring....i juz love touring...