SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

SBF Piaggio MP3 Cafe 2009

CCK

Here is one maroon with the original top box for you!

thanks bro. saw it on modernvespa liao. and that guy who owns that maroon mp3 has a clever mod to lock the topbox down without tightening the bracket screw.

great forum for MP3 owners, lots of knowledgeable members that can really help out the sotongs like me :cheeky:

tomoro collect my MP3 400 liao. WOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

:cheer:

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:angel: Hi! Some weeks ago, I saw an mp3 rider with a luminous yellow raincoat. Is he from this forum? Anybody knows where to buy that raincoat?

British police type long raincoat? That's me I guess. Imported from UK.

You can get the type that Singapore TP use from some of their suppliers. I went to visit one before at See Seng Industrial Supplier at King George's Avenue before they moved to some industrial estate last year. You can call them to see if they have stock:

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113142

He who hesitates is lost!

Guest chuinjie

hi guys.

i'm currently a X9 owner and i have a few problems with my bike. (did a complete overhaul in 2007, and cheanged everything else that i could.)

01) my fuel guage is forever faulty.

02) my rpm mysteriously would drop and the engine would stop once in a while.

03) a rear box that leaks in the rain.

so to all those out there who owns a mp3, i would like to know a few things about the mp3 400cc as i plan to get that soon.

01) how accurate is the fuel tank meter?

02) how did you guys run in the bike?

03) since the engine's max RPM is 9500, what is the rpm when you cruise at, say 90km/h?

04) what would really happen to the bike if i do not change my rollers and u-shoe after 2 years?

05) when do i know i need to change my rear (clutch) set?

06) does the 400 have both of the headlights switched on together?

as i ride the x9, i have information on how to properly maintain my bike. its just that these questions have been bugging me since day one and my trusty mechanic only knows how to service my bike but do not know the answers.

i hope you guys can enlighten me~

ps: is the 2009 version of the mp3 confirmed?

thanks,

regards.

two wheels, how is your first few days rding the MP3?

sorry for the late reply, haven't been on the forum for a while.

first impression is, it's VERY stable. although the front wheels do tilt and the bike can't stand on its own (if you don't activate the tilt lock), it doesn't tip over that easily or quickly while you're on it. you can go very slow, almost walking pace and the bike remains upright.

when i collected my bike i brought my wife with me. so with my 2A licence only a week old, a new 400 cc bike with a pillion plus zero experience on a 3 wheel scooter and since i could ride it home without incident, i think it is a very forgiving bike.

engine is quite punchy but still running in so haven't reach peak performance yet. i especially like the stainless steel exhaust, big, shiny and loud! :thumb:

the mp3 handles very differently from a bike. i can't explain it in words but you can't just lean and expect it to turn like a normal bike. you have to turn the handlebars more than you would on a bike.

one problem i keep getting is i tend to lean too much to get it to turn, and the main stand keeps getting scraped on the road. so far i scraped it over a dozen times already, although sometimes i know i'm pushing the limits but i've read enough reviews to be convinced that this is one bike that doesn't skid easily.

it is a big (read "fat") bike but with the top box, i can store up to four helmets. it has a "boot" that can be opened by remote control and the underseat storage is long enough to hold my pool cue case or tennis rackets.

the tilt lock is very useful as i usually activate it before i turn off the key. once locked, the bike stands on its own and i can get off and push it into the parking lot.

i tried turning on the tilt lock a few times when rolling to a stop. it's ok if your balance is good and can hit the button when the bike is almost perfectly upright but on one or two occassions i actually locked it while slanted. it is dangerous to move off like that so i had to unlock it and straighten the bike before moving off.

overall, it's a unique bike that draws a lot of curious looks. it's ugly to some but beautiful to others, including myself. very stable and utilitarian, suitable for a married guy like myself who still needs to do grocery shopping while refusing to buy a car and contribute to global warming.

Yo two wheels bro, thank you for your review!

The only thing holding me back is the issue of reliability...

Even the smallest spark can start a massive forest fire...

Quotable Quotes: If you ride a motorcycle often, you will be killed riding it. That much is as sure as night follows day. Your responsibility is to be vigilant and careful as to continue to push that eventuality so far forward that you die of old age first

Upz for your review 2 wheels. Currently i am very mad over the limited storage space of my runner. With an amazing storage space of 4 hem, this is the kind of bike which provides so much convenience. I believe I could easily keep 2 sets of rain coats, 2 hems, 2 pair of slippers, and 2 pair of riding jackets in the bike.

Class 2B: 11 May 2001 | Class 2A: 06 Oct 2009 | Class 2: 21 Dec 2010

Class 3 : 26 Sep 2003 | Forklift Licence: 06 Dec 2005

2001-2001 : Honda NSR SP 150

2002-2002 : Honda XR 200

2005-2005 : Honda Wave 125S

2006-2006 : Honda TA200

2008-2010 : Gilera VXR 200

2011-2014 : Honda Cbr 600

2014-Current: Yamaha FZ1S

2010-Current: Kia Picanto OPC

so to all those out there who owns a mp3, i would like to know a few things about the mp3 400cc as i plan to get that soon.

Very accurate. Plus there is also a low-fuel light.

At no more than 75% of the top speed and try not to have prolonged periods of constant speed.

the mp3 handles very differently from a bike. i can't explain it in words but you can't just lean and expect it to turn like a normal bike. you have to turn the handlebars more than you would on a bike.

I don't find it very different in handling. Yes you've to push the handlebars more (especially at low speeds), but other than that it rides like other bikes. I got used to riding this bike within 50m of getting on it the first time.

Very accurate. Plus there is also a low-fuel light.

just to add to this, on the digital display, i have a mileage counter which i always reset whenever i top up, just to see how far a full tank goes. (my first tank abt 240, second tank 260, so far third tank still half full but already hitting 160.

anyway, when my tank hit reserve, the counter actually sstarts from "0" again, with the reserve tank icon showing. i think it's a great feature because now we don't have to guess how much fuel is left in the reserve tank.

the mp3 has a 2l reserve tank by the way, so can go roughly another 50km before you get down and push. :p

Great review by another new owner:cool:

I myself am:confused: on the crossroad between 250 vs 400 or get getting Class 2 for Fuoco.:confused:

With the new facelift MP3 model coming up, I guess the NEW 250 LT (Long Track?) can meet my need now as I want 14" rubber. It has new standard 14" rear, vertical front air vent (makes the bike look slimmer but meaner), foot brakes, rear back rest, higher shield, adjustable damping rear shocks.

Heard in Germany & Netherland, they can use car licence (no need Class 2!!) to own a new MP3.

I am still waiting for the new facelift to arrive our local shore.....

I myself am:confused: on the crossroad between 250 vs 400 or get getting Class 2 for Fuoco.:confused:

With the new facelift MP3 model coming up, I guess the NEW 250 LT (Long Track?) can meet my need now as I want 14" rubber. It has new standard 14" rear, vertical front air vent (makes the bike look slimmer but meaner), foot brakes, rear back rest, higher shield, adjustable damping rear shocks.

Heard in Germany & Netherland, they can use car licence (no need Class 2!!) to own a new MP3.

http://clabedan.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/09/28/piaggio_mp3_lt_1.jpg

think this is the new "facelift"...

somehow prefer the older design though...

hi two wheels:cheeky: . will b changin your nick to 3 wheels soon?

these past few past hav been rainin. how does ur mp3 performs.

i normally don even put on a rain coat n ride. i ditch my phantom all together.

e brakes r close 2none. i tried brakin v hard n i stil moved 3 car length. even though i was movin abt in 3rd 0r 4th gear. engine brakes r better. for auto bikes if there's no clutch. how do u engine brake?

there's still engine brake because on a belt drive cvt gearbox, the clutch doesn't disengage if the wheel is driving the engine. i can feel the engine brake working when i close the throttle, and then when the clutch disengages, i can feel the bike freewheeling, but that usually happens at very low speeds, less than 10kmh, probably less I'm sure.

rain? what's that? heheh... i still ride, just put on raincoat and pants and ride a little slower. but i definitely feel safer on the fat lady then on my previous hot chick, the gilera runner. my tyres are brand new so on wet roads they still grip pretty well.

as for the brakes, just remember what they taught in school. on rainy days just lightly engage them once in a while (without closing the throttle) just to keep them dry, otherwise when you really need them they will take a while to bite, and you know how vital that few miliseconds are.

on the mp3, like they say, three wheels are better than two. and the same goes for the brakes too. and i must say the front brakes REALLY bite!

a matter of personal taste, i guess. i got the 400 instead of the 250 or 500 (Fuoco) because of a few reasons:

400 vs 500

- Because the 400 has bigger underseat storage

- Has a sleek front with mean looking "eyes" (a few friends commented it looks like a Decepticon, and it's true)

- It has a butt as big as its nose, making the bike look more balanced visually when viewed from the side, compared to the tadpole-looking Fuoco

- And lastly, because i only have 2A licence. :faint:

On the plus side, the 500 is faster and looks more menacing (at least from the front) with its exposed metal frame and grills, 4 headlights and 1 cyclop light in the middle. Nice turn signal lights too. Stainless steel foot rests and dual round tail lights add to the sporty aesthetics.

400 vs 250

- Because it has a longer wheelbase (65mm longer due to bigger engine)

- Bigger rear wheel (althought future MP3s will all have 14" rear wheels)

- Has a nice big shiny Class 2-looking exhaust with deep bass-ey sound

- Make full use of my 2A licence :cheeky:

- Faster than the TP's MP3.. MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

been putting off getting an mp3 but with the new design coming up, i feel more pressed to get one before the new model arrives in singapore... prefer the older design more...

still torn between the 400 or 250, and need the opinion of you mp3 owners though, hope you can share your thoughts and feelings?

only thing i am contemplating is the trade-off between power and storage space. having that 14" tire, fuel consumption or a cooler exhaust doesnt matter much to me...

1. i am currently riding a 150cc phantom and feel the strain (like not enough power) in my engine when it goes towards/above 100km/h. how does the 250 fare in this aspect?

2. would go for the 400 if it had the same storage space of the 250s, but alas. if i want to fit 2 half-helmets, a set of spare clothes + slippers, a set of rain gear, a medium size laptop bag, is it possible?

the storage space of the 400 is shallower due to the bigger engine. but i can still put 2 sets of raincoats in the shallow part in front (under the rider). the deeper part (under the pillion) can hold an open faced helmet and further behind in the boot, you can hold another full face.

if you don't mind spending a bit more i'd recommend the topbox. you can store another two full face helmets in there. your pillion will also have something to rest on as it can be quite tiring for him or her so sit upright with kiddy-sized footrests.

i saw an mp3 on the road today and it didn't have a topbox on, although it has an XEvo 400-style backrest. still, the pillion looked like he didn't have much support as he still has to hang on to the grab bars.

as for holding all the stuff you mentioned, i think you can still store them but will be a bit squeezed. i'd suggest you either get a topbox with the 400 or a 250 if you like it bare.

but don't regret if you see another 400 on the road, and then you see and hear that exhaust and see the bike pulling away from you. heheheh.

been putting off getting an mp3 but with the new design coming up, i feel more pressed to get one before the new model arrives in singapore... prefer the older design more...

still torn between the 400 or 250, and need the opinion of you mp3 owners though, hope you can share your thoughts and feelings?

only thing i am contemplating is the trade-off between power and storage space. having that 14" tire, fuel consumption or a cooler exhaust doesnt matter much to me...

1. i am currently riding a 150cc phantom and feel the strain (like not enough power) in my engine when it goes towards/above 100km/h. how does the 250 fare in this aspect?

2. would go for the 400 if it had the same storage space of the 250s, but alas. if i want to fit 2 half-helmets, a set of spare clothes + slippers, a set of rain gear, a medium size laptop bag, is it possible?

1. Getting to 100km/h on my 250 is a breeze.
  2. To fit all that in a 250, you'll need a top box assuming you are also carrying your laptop as well.

My advice is go for the 400 and if you need more space, get a top box. I didn't fit the top box for mine coz I like it as it is. I took the 250 coz there were only the 125 and 250 in sg then. But I don't regret it. Clocking 25,000 kms already on mine within a year.

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww45/blackpiper/YNWA2.jpg

Guest chuinjie

aw.. new model.. already?? so fast.. like the look of the "old" ones better..

1) so whats the current price of the 400 now? anyone can divulge?

2) anyother experts can provide me answers to the rest of the unanswered question?

thanks,

regards~

aw.. new model.. already?? so fast.. like the look of the "old" ones better..

1) so whats the current price of the 400 now? anyone can divulge?

2) anyother experts can provide me answers to the rest of the unanswered question?

thanks,

regards~

1) Just call up any bike shop and say you're interested in getting one. They will tell you.

2) i just got my bike two weeks plus ago, so I definitely am no expert, but I shall try to answer them all, even if you must take it with a pinch of salt. :p

Your questions:

- Very accurate. When I pump full tank it shows F, when it's empty it shows E - every single time!

- With much difficulty, it's so cramped in there we can hardly walk, let alone run.

03) since the engine's max RPM is 9500, what is the rpm when you cruise at, say 90km/h?

- I assume RPM means Race Police Motorcycle. Since the max speed of the MP3 400 is roughly 150km/h so if you cruise at 90km/h you should be able to race at least 5,700 police motorcycles. very easy because in Singapore you can hardly see more than 2 police motorcycles together at one time.

04) what would really happen to the bike if i do not change my rollers and u-shoe after 2 years?

Nothing will happen to your bike, but your shoes may need changing, especially in our humid weather where your feet tend to get a little sweaty, smelly and moldy. why do you wear "u" shoes anyway? are you a horse?

05) when do i know i need to change my rear (clutch) set?

When the noisy Chinatown trishaws with fat tourists on them clock better 0-100km/h times than you.

06) does the 400 have both of the headlights switched on together?

No, but they can definitely switch off together.

I hope I answered all your questions so go ahead and book your MP3! :thumb:

haha 2 wheels your replies are really good although e person would stil be full of ??? :cheeky:

but really i need more advise on its performance in the rain

i ok with my phantom but haven been riding in e rain:pity:

My humble advice; ride super damn carefully in the rain. I took my predicament that I was in with a 'handful of salt' when I thought this bike could withstand all circumstances. If you read my threads some time ago, you will know. I now pay more attention on the road especially during and after rain. But on a nice dry day, it's one of the best thing to ride

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww45/blackpiper/YNWA2.jpg

i agree with blackpiper. how safe a bike is depends on how safe the rider is.

no bikes come with "safety guaranteed" labels. the mp3 may have one extra wheel but that extra wheel is not a magic wheel.

so the best advice is to ride safe and not fool yourself into thinking your skidding days are over once you buy an mp3.

as long as you ride responsibly and safely the MP3 is a gem to ride. and you will appreciate why the extra wheel is there.