SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Helmet and Tinted visors issues

So the Moral of the story, dun trust the bike shops! BTW alot of people who bought visors from Ah Boy have actually bought unapproved visors as Ah Boy will asure 'sure pass' visor. Get a clear visor & wear your sunglasses. I can't wear sunglasses + clear visor. Still no prob for me on sunny days. It's up to your to ensure your own safety. It's for your own good fellow bikers!

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Raptor@May 8 2005, 01:08 PM

In the end.. the point is.. did LAB twist your arm and insist that you buy the visor??

Neither did he insist that you listen to his sales pitch about the visor and that it meets the regulations.

He did not.. you willingly took out your own money, under no duress or threat, and paid him smiling, thinking you had a good deal.

And now kena book... cry father cry mother, want to blame LAB. As good as being caught whislt high on drugs then insist it is the drug pusher's fault and you are innocent.

I am not siding the TP or LAB. The point is.. the law is not new. Every rider knows about it. Even though they know they can get booked and fined.. some will still wear for whatever reasons they may have.

Some people just love to give their hard earned money to the TPs.

hey hey hey i think u don get it. its not cry mother cry father i just don know why i got booked for a visor tat ah boy claims its approved. i not saying i going to appeal or complain or...watever. i just don understand cos i been using tat visor for the past 1 year without any problems...stopped at junctions beside countless TPs in the end they nvr say anything. perhaps cos its day time? hope u not trying to find fault wit me. im already using a clear visor liao.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq68/ghost_04_/SIN%202009/4748b439-d86b-4bf3-a212-e1be01c6664c.jpg

stay calm and carry on...

when u got booked, at tat moment u definitely will be swearing and cursing at the shop tat sells u the visor cos they said its approved. unless u old bird u understand. but this one my 1st time buy 1 year later 1st time kena. its all our natural reaction at tat very moment only man..

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq68/ghost_04_/SIN%202009/4748b439-d86b-4bf3-a212-e1be01c6664c.jpg

stay calm and carry on...

Think it's because they must have gotten the machine recently if not one year ago u might have been summoned already. Anyway it's Singapore that we are living in so we just got to obey the law of the country. Anyway local banks also don't allow people to wear helmets into banks for safety reason. Some things are just there for our safety and also the safety of others. Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

i bought a helmet in BKK & the visor that came with it..wah..cant see a thing if you were to see it from the outside! its reflective!

knowing that its definitely going to fail the TP test in S"pore, i asked for a clear visor there & then. the clear visor cost about 25% of the helmet.

Don't mess with old farts. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.

Proud owner of an Opel Combo 1.7 DTI

for those who are using the NOLAN tinted visor pls take note........ the visor is 37% tinted and it FAIL will the test.

I happened to be near LAB when some officers were there doing the checking.... I ask a friendly officer if he could check my visor (at 1st he was reluctant by telling to send in for testing) and the result was only 63% of the light passes through.

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea if that tint o'meter gadget can be tuned to measure non-light transmittance? i.e. vice versa of its original function? coz the other day this TP tested my visor..first time it showed 85%...upon seeing that, he shielded the gadget away from me and did some adjustment to the gadget and tested again.. this time it read 42%.

And is there any shops where we could test the % of light transmittance on our visors? If so pls assist to state them. I'd like to revalidate that test before deciding to pay or appeal.

I just need to be sure im not being played by that TP who was probably having a bored day and needed to issue summons. I have worn, rode past and been seen by other TPs with that visor for like 10 months..never an issue till that day. Hope someone could provide me with some concrete answers. Thank you!

Originally posted by NaZ23@Jun 19 2005, 10:36 PM

And is there any shops where we could test the % of light transmittance on our visors?

those shops selling solar films for cars, eg. V-Kool, should have them.

Originally posted by nE0@Apr 4 2005, 06:10 PM

You sure?

My visor alone costs that much...

Yeah i am sure a $100 open face can protect as good as my ram 2 maybe not the ram 3( FF). Yeah i know a visor can cos $150 but is it better 15X...or even twice as good? alot of the money is going into brand!, weight...

• 2 months later...

im wearin ogk ff4 and today got a tp told me tat the visor not approved. he told me i shd get sunglasses. na beh. i wanted to ask him 'u give me money to buy izzit?'. im wearin glasses. if need to buy sunglasses must get prescriptive lens. not cheap sia. but the tint is due to the mercury film leh. so if i suay suay kanna remove the film can oredi izzit?

if bikers cant have slightly tinted visors, then how come cars can have their windows tinted? isnt it kindda biased? CRAP!!

If I am not mistaken, Singapore cars can have their back seat windows tinted, but they must also be able to allow 70% light. For the front side, they aren't allowed to have tinted windows, and the protective film (that pasted thing, I don't know what's the actual name for it) that you paste on the top of your windscreen or the dront door windows, can't exceed 9". Lovely Singapore, ain't it ...

Drive : Proton Saga 1.3M SJN plate (11th June 10 - Present)

Ride : Honda S4 Revo FBC plate (12th July 08 - Present)

Former Ride : Phantom TA200 FV plate (9th September 05 - 12th July 08)

Originally posted by Mars@Jun 23 2005, 07:55 PM

Yeah i am sure a $100 open face can protect as good as my ram 2 maybe not the ram 3( FF). Yeah i know a visor can cos $150 but is it better 15X...or even twice as good? alot of the money is going into brand!, weight...

I don't know how much better a $100 visor is compared to a $10 LAB one, but I sure wouldn't want that piece of plastic 3cm from my eyes to shatter into razor sharp jagged pieces. :giddy:

Do they issue the S$50 summon on the spot or they just take down your details on a piece of paper and than send the summon to your home?

I just got my first S$50 "lottery" today but was dumbstruck I was not given summon on the spot. This is the first time I have been stop by and Traffic police and penalize.

125km/hr to 0km/hr in 1 sec will make mince meat. Ride slowly to show off your bike, Ride slowly to save your life.

Ex-Girlfriend:

Phantom TA200 (Blue) FV7889U

Piaggio Hexagon (Ducati Yellow) FM4183T

Piaggio X9-250cc (Blackies) FT4920S

Honda Wave-R (Bright Bright Yellow) FZ4494Z

Current GF (IN USA),

Ford Taurus 3.0L (Blue)

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/8164/562/1600/RX-78-wallpaper.jpg

• 1 month later...

i oso got one time the TP stop me for black visor,....

but i would say i lucky .. the tp ask me either i break my tinted visor or summon??

i quickly say break.... hehehe i just go back wth lots of dust in the eye..

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/inflames85/funny.gif

• 1 month later...

Wat abt those like OGK strip off shields? Does tat constitute it into a visor when used? To me using it wud be similar to like wearing sunglasses though easier to take off with juz a flip of da visor when riding into dark area like carpark n flip dwn when its bright agn. Though to take it off completely wuld b to stop da bike n remove helmet and strip it out but much convenient than to take off sunglass when riding into dark areas, i mean have any one tried to take off and put on sunglass while riding, im sure u knw its quite a stunt to execute it?

Learned Past Living Present Think Future

i was waitin fer e lights to turn green when a tp stop nxt to me n enquire bout my tinted visor..

i gave him e blur look.. he jus pointed at my p plate n ask me to go chgn to a clear one..

heng sia.. haha..

:sweat:

ä¸è¦ä»¥ä¸º,一脸冷漪,åªä¼šæ²‰é»˜,我åªæ˜¯ä¸æ‡‚得表达我自己..

apr 05: Nsr150Sp FS323Y

nov 06: Cbr400rrr FP5868A

aug 07: Spec II FV7169P

sep 08: Spark135 FBD***P

• 4 weeks later...

actually TP also see face one. If your dressing and bike like ah beng...surely will be kuai lan. I was stopped by a QX police petrol car(written amk south) in amk and summon me for reckless driving. like that also can. But if an old ah-pek riding RXK with 100% tinted visor, will tp stop and booked him?

If TP and those on petrol police dun report things back, this shows they never do work. Another reason also maybe once they have enough quota in hand...maybe can ROC (Relax one corner) till their duty over and report back.

I have seen police petrol car in car park top level parked there with windows open and policeman inside. Maybe parking at top level no people and they can concentrate on their work better??? :smile: :smile: :smile:

2000-2001 NSR125R(FM 1024)

2001-2003 CBR400RR(FJ 0182J)

2004-2005 TA150 phantom(FS 9740)

2005-2005 GSXR400RP(3 months)

2005-2006 CB400 VerS(FP 6619)

2006-2006 TA200 phantom(3 weeks)

2006-2007 Piaggio X9 (FU 8448)

2007- current Mitsubishi Lancer CS3 & TA150 phantom

Be fast on corners, not straight road

Originally posted by GreeKo@Nov 20 2005, 12:18 PM

Wat abt those like OGK strip off shields? Does tat constitute it into a visor when used? To me using it wud be similar to like wearing sunglasses though easier to take off with juz a flip of da visor when riding into dark area like carpark n flip dwn when its bright agn. Though to take it off completely wuld b to stop da bike n remove helmet and strip it out but much convenient than to take off sunglass when riding into dark areas, i mean have any one tried to take off and put on sunglass while riding, im sure u knw its quite a stunt to execute it?

can someone reply to this?

Life is not the amount of breath u take, but the moments that take ur breath away.

It is not how hard you fall, its how fast you get up.

nsr150 : december 2004 - 16th March 07

S4 Vtec1 : March 2007 - March 2008

cbr1000rr '04 : March 2008 - June 2011

wave125 '03 : July 2009 - ????

strip or not strip it's considered tinted coz it's stuck to the visor right? Go by the law, save your $50 for a very good meal anytime! Thought strips would mostly be worn by racers on racing track due to oil patch that get stuck which will hinder their vision... why would you want to use strip on normal riding road? Worth to think it over, clear lens or $50 to the government...

• 5 months later...

i wear glasses and use the CTE tunnels daily, especially going north in the early mornings where the sun goes in the face. That means i have to put on my sunglasses, take them off and change to clear lens, then stop BY THE SIDE OF THE CTE at the end of the tunnel to put on the sunglasses again? Ridiculous!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Loontoot/Funny%20Pics/adminuser4mw.gif

<CMO> Quality IT Services for homes & businesses.

<CMO> 3M Products from U.S.A