SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Q&A] SBF CB400 Official Q&A Thread 2009 (PLS ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!)

PaLmEr

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[Q] hi bros, a bit noob on bikes thus seeking your advice. would it be better to buy a:

Ver S at $1800

COE till end of this year

OR

Spec 2 at $4000

COE left 2 more years??

You should be just looking at COE as a buying criteria. Even the one with 2 yrs COE an selling at $1000 only..it doesn't make sense to buy it if it's a problematic one. The other thing to factor in is that are you going to renew COE and keep the bike for long and willing to maintain it for as long as it serve. Price should not also be a buying criteria as you expect to pay more for a well maintained and great condition bike regardless of it's age but rather how it's taken care off and used.

Spare parts is another criteria but since most Super4 shares similar parts..that shouldn't be an issue.

Don't rush into buying..most important is that the bike you buy must be in reasonable good condition, well maintain by previous owner/owners, preferably accident main frame damge free and last but not least..reasonable price and budget left enough to do up a bit for safer riding.

Stupid Hurts!.:giddy:Speed doesn't kill, mistakes does :faint:

BEER!...it's cheaper than fuel now! DRINK!..DON'T RIDE!

thanks ah pek for your advice.

Sorry bro..there was a typo error I just realised..it should read.. " You should NOT be just looking at COE as a buying criteria.".

Additional info : If the bike is good and COE is reasonable to as long as want to keep the bike for, then the named price is to be considered.

• 2 weeks later...

Q] hi guys, i have a 2 probs with my spec 1. When moving off, i tried to half clutch and maintain my throttle, for the first 1-2 secs, it moves off quite slow (like very little petrol going in), then after that 1-2s cn feel the petrol going in as per normal. Its not as responsive. Is that normal?

[Q] 2nd question, here comes the nightmare. In all gears when i rev, be it 1st gear or top gear, below 5000rpm is quite smooth (although feels very slight jerky) but when i rev it above 5000 rpm, my bike starts to cough consistently like as if my exhaust got something stuck inside.

Even tho my rpm can still go up, but after hit 5000 rpm, it will go up very slow even after open vtec. Like got air stuck (bop bop bop). It starts to cough at exactly 5000 rpm and above. I think my 1st and 2nd prob are tied together.

I sent for carb servicing, change diaphram (damn i dont know how to spell it), change engine oil, spark plugs, oil filter, air filter quite recently. The mech told me then it may be my cdi. If its true, any shops to recommend for a good deal? This 2 probs happened after i sent for carb servicing and change diaphram. Someone pls advise this new cb400 rider. Thank you.

Edited by Shah_bb

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[Q] Hi Guys,I am currently riding CB400 Super Four Vtec 1 registered 2001 it is in its 15th year now. Mileage probably be at 200K plus(Faulty Speedometer)

I have recently sent my bike for top service and replaced certain parts that have gone bad. Such as pistons and my coolant pump etc.

I was informed by the mechanic during the repair that my CDI was going bad but could still be used. As i have spent a lot on other repairs ($3k) i decided against replacing the CDI thinking i can do it on another time but however upon testing the bike i found that the bike didn't respond as it should.

Symptoms: when throttling(moving off) or after clutching in there is a slight delay before power gets through and when it does it will stutter.

Vtec still opens at 7k as per normal and when in high rev it was smooth.. Once you close throttle and open it again you can feel the stutter too...

I went back and was told it was because the CDI wasn't providing enough power for the bike to throttle cleanly.

I was also informed that because Vtec 1 cdi is no longer in production i would have to convert to either vtec 2 or vtec 3 cdi in which the whole meter would have to be replaced. Cost will be a lot too at least another ($2k)

I was also offered a local cdi but i didn't think it would be worth it since it won't last long.

I am not sure if the prob is due to the CDI or a poorly tuned carbs(According to mechanic he has tuned it)

Has anybody faced this problem before and is it worth to repair or just sell it? Hope someone can shed some light in this

Thank you

Warmest Regard

Ezzat Fahmy

Q] hi guys, i have a 2 probs with my spec 1. When moving off, i tried to half clutch and maintain my throttle, for the first 1-2 secs, it moves off quite slow (like very little petrol going in), then after that 1-2s cn feel the petrol going in as per normal. Its not as responsive. Is that normal?

[Q] 2nd question, here comes the nightmare. In all gears when i rev, be it 1st gear or top gear, below 5000rpm is quite smooth (although feels very slight jerky) but when i rev it above 5000 rpm, my bike starts to cough consistently like as if my exhaust got something stuck inside.

Even tho my rpm can still go up, but after hit 5000 rpm, it will go up very slow even after open vtec. Like got air stuck (bop bop bop). It starts to cough at exactly 5000 rpm and above. I think my 1st and 2nd prob are tied together.

I sent for carb servicing, change diaphram (damn i dont know how to spell it), change engine oil, spark plugs, oil filter, air filter quite recently. The mech told me then it may be my cdi. If its true, any shops to recommend for a good deal? This 2 probs happened after i sent for carb servicing and change diaphram. Someone pls advise this new cb400 rider. Thank you.

I have the same problem too. I just posted asking the same question.

The bad news is CDI for vtec 1 no longer in production, i was told the only way to go is to convert to vtec 2 or 3 CDI which means the meter key will have to be replaced and its going to cost at least $2k.

[Q] Hi Guys,I am currently riding CB400 Super Four Vtec 1 registered 2001 it is in its 15th year now. Mileage probably be at 200K plus(Faulty Speedometer)

I have recently sent my bike for top service and replaced certain parts that have gone bad. Such as pistons and my coolant pump etc.

I was informed by the mechanic during the repair that my CDI was going bad but could still be used. As i have spent a lot on other repairs ($3k) i decided against replacing the CDI thinking i can do it on another time but however upon testing the bike i found that the bike didn't respond as it should.

Symptoms: when throttling(moving off) or after clutching in there is a slight delay before power gets through and when it does it will stutter.

Vtec still opens at 7k as per normal and when in high rev it was smooth.. Once you close throttle and open it again you can feel the stutter too...

I went back and was told it was because the CDI wasn't providing enough power for the bike to throttle cleanly.

I was also informed that because Vtec 1 cdi is no longer in production i would have to convert to either vtec 2 or vtec 3 cdi in which the whole meter would have to be replaced. Cost will be a lot too at least another ($2k)

I was also offered a local cdi but i didn't think it would be worth it since it won't last long.

I am not sure if the prob is due to the CDI or a poorly tuned carbs(According to mechanic he has tuned it)

Has anybody faced this problem before and is it worth to repair or just sell it? Hope someone can shed some light in this

Thank you

Warmest Regard

Ezzat Fahmy

I suggest you asked around a few reputable bike shop that's very familiar with S4 for 2n-3rd opinion. If these ppl from this shop is so DAMN SURE..asked them to GUARANTEE you if you fork out the money. For me..I think it HAS NOTHING TO DO with the CDI.

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys, my internet here in China is terrible so searching is difficult.

but is there a fuel filter on the 2002 CB400?

I've seen reference to a fuel tap filter and inline fuel filter but no part number.

Would anyone happen to have these? and how often do these need to be replaced or cleaned? any DIY threads?

thanks!

hi guys, my internet here in China is terrible so searching is difficult.

but is there a fuel filter on the 2002 CB400?

I've seen reference to a fuel tap filter and inline fuel filter but no part number.

Would anyone happen to have these? and how often do these need to be replaced or cleaned? any DIY threads?

thanks!

Orgiginal stock bike do not have..it's additional. This thing is not necessary unless your fuel kiosk petrol is always dirty or contaminate with rust residues. This fuel filter may be less helpful than more sometimes especially when it clogs.

• 3 weeks later...

The bad news is CDI for vtec 1 no longer in production, i was told the only way to go is to convert to vtec 2 or 3 CDI which means the meter key will have to be replaced and its going to cost at least $2k.

Hi, i'm facing the same issues, spec 1 too..

Did u managed to find any solution? Anyone else can share their expertise as to what the causes might be?

Did u managed to find any solution? Anyone else can share their expertise as to what the causes might be?

http://www.gumtree.sg/a-motorcycles-scooters-motorbikes/admiralty-woodlands/aftermarket-cb400-vtec-1-cdi/1001676796220910675461209

• 1 month later...

Hello, I am writing from Spain and I have a CB400SF vtec spec1 2001 with 66.880km.

Few kilometers until you can hold the engine?

Here there are not many bikes like mine so I can not compare but if there are many CB600F hornet and CBR600F from different years of 100,000km passing easily

For there in Singapore and Japan there CB400SF vtec passing of 100,000km?

If so is there any website where I can see pictures of Speedo?

Thank you

a greeting

Hello, I am writing from Spain and I have a CB400SF vtec spec1 2001 with 66.880km.

Few kilometers until you can hold the engine?

Here there are not many bikes like mine so I can not compare but if there are many CB600F hornet and CBR600F from different years of 100,000km passing easily

For there in Singapore and Japan there CB400SF vtec passing of 100,000km?

If so is there any website where I can see pictures of Speedo?

Thank you

a greeting

https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=CB400SF+vtec+speed+meter&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=951&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi16qqR7Y3OAhVDL48KHc8fCRgQsAQILA

Hi thanks for answering Ah Pek, I mean if there CB400SF vtec that have more than 100,000 km?

And if there are pictures of odometers where you see more than 100,000km registered at the marker?

a greeting

Not sure why you wanna see an Odometer with that kind of mileage clocked and why would anyone wanna show that really. I doubt you can find one but can always try. ;)