SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] General Queries From Newbies

Binteng

That "Tik Tik" sound happened to me once. My Battery was full.

I sent down to the workshop and because the uncle didn't really know how to speak english, all I got out of it was that my bike's starter had carbon in it. Or something like that. But I saw him took out some cylindrical thing from underneath the seat and started cleaning it. He put it back into the bike and it was able to normally electric start again.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cylindrical thing is starter motor if carbon dirty or worn will not spin

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

The bike could be started this morning. Contemplated riding to Singapore Expo for the PC Show since I was already on leave...but worried bike might have problem during or after the journey.

Rode to the mototiam at Yishun Ind Park. Weirdly enough, the "Tik, Tik" could be replicated after I killed the engine & tried restarting the bike again. The mechanic mumbled something about starter carbon finished & not earthed (grounded) properly/enough.

The cylindrical thingey that was mentioned in one of the earlier post was disassembled & something inside it (ring-like, with a screw thingey) was replaced. Only took photos of the (empty) packaging.

http://i.imgur.com/hFTRsr5l.jpg

Cost me $65. Worth it for the peace of mind.

He replaced the carbon brush for the starter motor. good to hear it's all good!

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

Thank you for all the replies to my original query. Love the quick responses & reassuring shared wisdom.

Thinking of renewing the COE when it expires end of next year. But, PQP is already at $4000+ though & I tend to drive much more than I ride these days... :sian:

wait and see first.. I suppose to renew by July but I'm going to do a 5year and scrap after a year.. Too bz to follow up and still need vehicle for the moment

tik tik...sometimes the starter motor unable to engage the engine...

thus by changing gears..u can do it..

similar to this trick is to engage gear and push bike..then start engine.

I used to do that when I had the tik tik sound.

But the mechanic advised me not to do that as it will affect the engine.

I used to do that when I had the tik tik sound.

But the mechanic advised me not to do that as it will affect the engine.

that's what's they say for push starting too. always wondered the basis of this but dunno why. anyway tik tik is just the starter relay clicking only leh..

Anyways guys, where can I stick the Probationary sticker on my Phantom?

For the front, I pasted it on the mud guard. No idea where to paste it on the back D:

If got box on box if not behind sissy bar/rear seat

Hey guys. My cousins are organising an outing to JB next week. One of my cousin needs to go repair his car radio at the workshop opposite Plaza Pelangi.

I was just wondering, how safe is it for me to bring my phantom, or in general, other bikes in? What do I have to look out for where do I Park, etc.

Also, anything I can do to my bike while I'm there? Change some small stuff like lights, chrome cover, grips, paint jobs, etc.

And also, I'm planning to go to Malacca for a 1 day trip. Anything I should look out for?

Edited by ZenMan

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys.

My Phantom is in the hospital now. What happened was, I was riding pretty fast on the expressway. Suddenly my engine died, so i had to pull over to the extreme left and proceeded to start my bike on the road shoulder. Fortunately, it was able to start But when I ride now, there's this little rattle coming from the engine.

Sent my bike to the workshop. As usual, we conversed in mandarin, and I could only understand so much XD But what I got out from it was something to do with:

1. Me riding too fast

2. The piston

3. Something about the engine "xia" (down in chinese) or something like that.

Anybody knows what may be the cause of this?

Drop your gear too fast from high to low... I hope its not your con rod/ gears that are cracked...

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Hmm.. Now that I think about it, when the engine died, I clutched in and dropped the gears while trying to filter to the road shoulder. While changing gears, there was a "grac" sound

*Update*

I decided to proceed with a Top Overhaul.

A list of items changed/tuned:

1. Piston

2. Pison Link

3. Cam Chain Tensioner

4. Timing Chain

5. Clutch Plate

6. Gasket

7. Gasket Valve

8. Rejet/Wash Carburetor

9. Front/Rear Sprocket

10. Chain

Was quoted quite a decent price. Bo bian have to proceed :(