SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] General Queries From Newbies

Binteng

Gen 1. Bike in not so good condition definitely and dropped before. Gen2 abit difficult to see if there is any leak because of different fork design.

Anyway fork leaks may not be obvious. Pumping will only show leak if the forks soup in all the way like going through a hump.

Edited by sawfly

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kill switch is link to the transmission case. High beam neutral indicator lights could be just the bulb fused. But anyhow, the lights are just indicators. If its a gen1, it also means the bike is 20 years old. And 20 years is a long time to abuse a bike...

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

My take is that if the kill switch has a problem and lights are not replaced when needed, it's probably not well maintained after the last time he rode it. He say 2 months no problem but how long ago? If no problem then why got idle problem now?

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

Normally won't die when well warmed up unless the consumables like air filter not changed or tuning is off.

Depends on whether the shop he get from reputable or not. Sg alot of black shops for cars and bikes. Regarding your drop question, if it's dropped in an accident, I'm not too sure of the machine frame still OK. U will need to check the other parts of the frame and wheels to be sure.

Does not matter who abused the bike bro. Matters only who is taking over. To put things in perspective. If the fellow cannot sell the bike himself and has to push it to a shop to take in, he is likely going to get only 200 to 300 for it.

Bro seriously learning about different kind of machine defects is fine but do consider other options. if a machine shows signs of being unsafe, just look for another bike.

Don't have official documents for price or transaction. For me was cash and carry and nowadays no logbook.. He may not even have other documents..

He could be trying to get this lemon off his hand...if you say he got the bike not for long. Put it this way. It won't be easy to find a phantom with coe less than $2000 and still well maintained waiting to be sold in this current market. PQP is already 4000+ and even those well maintained gen 2 phantoms which coes are expiring are going to the scrapyard soon. If you really want a phantom for the next 9 years and prepared to spend approx another 2000sgd to make it ridable, then probably this could work out for you.

Simply put.. U buy the bike or any bike.. Prepare to spend money on repairs. Do also think about how long you plan to ride this bike or if you are upgrading. How much do you plan or willing or able to invest in this machine?

It is an affordable bike because of the low fuel consumption and the minimal consumables u have to change regularly (eo spark plug air filter brake pads and rarely tires ). That's assuming that the bike you bought is problem free and don't have to replace major components.

800sgd seems only enough for an overhaul. Assuming that your changing the consumables at time of purchase, at least 200sgd will be gone minimum. Personally I already spent more than that as I have to do an overhaul, change the clutch plates and replace the cam chain tensioner. Thats 500 additonal. I can't say for for 800 sgd Is enough but u do have to consider your money in terms of purchase price, money placed into corrective and preventive maintenance on purchase, and also a ready sum of spare cash. (if you are a new rider I would expect that u would have expected the insurance to be rather high as well >500sgd)

He mentioned he also had the rear tyre changed. He also had a new seat. He said he is student n basically just want an affordable bike. So I suspect he had the basics changed enough to have the bike running.

I probably have to budget 1K if I get the bike. The insurance is not part of this 1K. Maybe another 500 extra for emergency settlement? Then ride slow n safe n get a camera as extra insurance for dispute?

Another 150 for knee guard, riding jacket n camera.

Put it this way, you probably won't find a TA200 which has 9 years of COE left, well maintained and problem free selling for just $2,600 now.

Like I told my friend, if I am to sell my TA200 now, I probably need to add $4,300 (COE) into the selling price first and then subsequently the machine price (i think the bike is worth) to get the final selling price. Nevermind how much I paid for my COE, its only stupid if I were to sell my well oiled machine without factoring the new costs I need to have another.

Having said so, and like in my earlier posts mentioned, I 've saw some suitably (I won't say well, cos I think most just did the bare requirement) maintained TA200 Gen 2 whose owners are contemplating to scrap in light of the $4k+ COE PQP prices. To them, to continue on a 10 year old bike for $4k, is less appealing than riding a brand new bike since COE prices are not much of a difference.

To draw from my own experience when I first bought my lemon

1. I was on public transport for all my life before I pass my 2b (for over 25 years)

2. I was super gan cheong and just wanted to ride the moment I got my licence.

3. My budget was tight then.

4. I was a newbie and know nothing about bikes except for the time when I rode and practiced at the driving centre.

5. I was too noob, (and lazy to find out) to even know that there was a Singapore Bike Forum during that time. Despite the fact that I was "clever" enough to search for a bike in the used bike category...and how I managed to hunt down Madman and his mods...

The consequences of all these factors?

1. I bought my lemon at quite an unbeatable price at that time.

2. I rode it immediately to show a rider buddy, who frowned immediately when he saw the bike. First question he asked me, "You got no better choice ah?"

3. Speedo not working. Seller said speedo cable spoilt and he too lazy to change. And he said less than $20 for a new cable. I brought it to workshop that following weekend. The drive assembly where the speedo cable is attached to the front wheel was mashed up. $60 to get one from a scrapyard.

4. Front brake screaching sound. Seller say brake pad almost botak liao. Change brake pad $14 have liao. Workshop say front brake pump kit is a goner. $45 to change just the pump kit, $110 for a new reservoir assembly.

5. The right chrome cover had a squarish cut. Seller said it was to accommodate a breather he installed last time, and he transferred it to his new bike. He said if I don't like the cut, can go get a new one, plastic thing very cheap although he don't know how much. I went to Chong Aik and bought a new piece - $40.

6. Rode for less than 2 weeks and braking (after I change the front brake pump kit) i find myself wobbly (imagine uncle frying char kway tiao). Go to workshop, mech told me fork seal crack liao, and need new seals - $70. He also recommend changing the steering cone as he feel a grinding when turning the handle ($60).

7. Change the tires in less than 1 month of riding. This is my fault entirely. I saw "hairs" at the side of the tires when I went to see the lemon and assumed that only newer tires will have "hair". Only much later then I know actually there is a "wear" marking on tires. Tires were $180 back then.

8. Rode for almost a year, and being the noob that I was (trusting that 3000km then EO change), without factoring wear and tear, abuse bike suffered, I felt warm engine oil spilling onto my calf one day. Stopped my bike and check - voila!!! oil flowing out of the honeycomb like honey... Send to mech, told me need to take out everything and replace the honey comb. Cost - 100% of what I paid for the bike (including COE and all repairs that I had paid for since I took over).

The short summary to a long post, and I quote my reply to my riding buddy "cheap mah. And my budget very tight leh..."

side tip: always ask for price and do not allow mechanics To do any work until you explicitly ask them to do so. some shops make changes for you without telling you or asking u permission. also, be around at all times during work on the motorcycle.

I guess this also means that the bike shop usually attend to you promptly and the work will not take long. =)

rarely that is true. unless they totally have no customers. good work doesn't come fast most of the time. my point is dont get pressurised by the shop. don't also allow the shop to pressurise your decision to get the bike.

as me and Matthias were trying to emphasize, look at other options. only go for a mechanic check up if you decide this bike is the one.

don't rush into getting a bike. the market out there is full of second hand bikes which probably have better conditions to compare with.

What do you mean by 'basic getting places to view the bike "?

Its very easy to pass vicom vehicular inspection. The inspection only check for head lights pollution and brakes only. I won't use it as a sign of a problem free bike.

I went places to places on foot many years ago when I didn't have a bike and had to search for a deal. don't let the mere inconvenience hold back a greater priority.

Nope. Like u say. Not gonna give up. For the Greater Priority.

ps: He also not comfortable signing deposit receipt n any other paperwork n prefer cash over internet instant transfer. He has 3 bikes oredi n said it is the norm, confirm via sms. Is this the norm?

Tell him to meet you at LTA for the transfer then. You can't ride without insurance, he can't ride the bike since he has terminated the insurance on that bike. So the best way is for him to pass you the key when you hand him the cash at LTA when you do the transfer.

Lets take a look at the bike before you decide further on the buying/selling procedures. Who knows it may not be really a good choice in the first place.

P.S> FInd it strange tho, if he has 3 bikes already, why he can end up with this lemon?

a honest seller shouldn't have an issue with black and white. He should in fact benefit from a written statement. If you find it fishy, walkaway.

There are so much cons about this bike. Better to give it a miss. Many phantoms out there. Many other choices of 2b bikes too. Slowly go look around. Don't rush to buy cause cheap and regret later. There should be a few in the garage sale "used bike" section. Also can look at sgbikemart.

Let's just ride....

I AM BACK!!!!!

Need an advise from u peeps...currently am riding a Honda wave and COE ending dis coming January..

Would like to look for a 2nd hand Phantom but I was discouraged by my regular mechanic to purchase a Phantom.

As mentioned by him, most phantom have gearbox issues especially when changing at gear 5 & 6. How true is this?

HAHAHA...so phantom has a bullet proof engine just like my Honda Wave..

I wouldn't go so far to claim it bullet proof. But given the minimum amount of maintenance, there is hardly any chance of it going down. The torque and engine chassis are quite matched compared to the rest of the more powerful bikes. Clutch plates are probably what most people would change, but it has a lot to do with riding habits.

Need an advise from u peeps...currently am riding a Honda wave and COE ending dis coming January..

Would like to look for a 2nd hand Phantom but I was discouraged by my regular mechanic to purchase a Phantom.

As mentioned by him, most phantom have gearbox issues especially when changing at gear 5 & 6. How true is this?

actually hor, some mechanics I know don't like to do phantom. the big issues need to do big job but the time and money in return don't match.

HAHAHA...so phantom has a bullet proof engine just like my Honda Wave..

it's almost the bullet proof because the engine design is so old and established, the parts are common among some bikes especially the xr200 (from what I read xr250 is just a bigger bore size). these bikes were already around for a long time.

the second reason is that the dimensional tolerances for the engine parts seems to be quite high. it's very coarse engineering detailing, probably that are versions of the engine in China being built (I heard so)