SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] General Queries From Newbies

Binteng

Thanks again to the Phantom Knights. Esp matthias76, sawfly and tanarthur.

Appreciate u taking the time Matt. Kudos n cheers to the camaraderie.

no problem bro. as long u treat buying a second vehicle like buying a resale house with that kind of attitude won't lugi for a beginner one!

operate a vehicle in a way that you benefit other road users pls - and meanwhile, stop whining! be responsible and be safe.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

I have a bike, but haven't passed my TP, yet. More difficult than I thought, so I have been stocking up on tools to repair my bike. The first thing I am looking to do is to change out the sprockets, chain, CCT, and replace the brake pads. I own the service manual (and the necessary tools) and want to know if anyone would care to join me/help with the repairs. I have done repairs to cars and have helped friends with their dirt bikes, but it's new territory doing a bike alone. If you have the time and a bit more experience, I would definitely appreciate the company. PM if you have time on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Cheers!

Hi,

I have a bike, but haven't passed my TP, yet. More difficult than I thought, so I have been stocking up on tools to repair my bike. The first thing I am looking to do is to change out the sprockets, chain, CCT, and replace the brake pads. I own the service manual (and the necessary tools) and want to know if anyone would care to join me/help with the repairs. I have done repairs to cars and have helped friends with their dirt bikes, but it's new territory doing a bike alone. If you have the time and a bit more experience, I would definitely appreciate the company. PM if you have time on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Cheers!

This invitation is tempting. But are you saying you own a TA200 and you have a TA200 service manual?

Hi all!

Would like to know the estimated market value for 9-year old TA200, please?

Someone just offered to purchase my 9-year old FZ-plate TA200. Below are some details off the LTA page:

Year Of Manufacture: 2005

Original Registration Date: 28 Nov 2005

COE Expiry Date: 27 Nov 2015

Road Tax Expiry Date: 27 Nov 2015

Inspection Due Date: 27 Nov 2015

The bike is mostly stock. Have a Givi box & the Eagle passenger-footrests.

Bought first-hand. No accidents. No major issues. Odometer reading @ 89974 km.

Have not been riding too much in the past year or so. Driving a lot more with having to ferry my daughters around.

Was planning to simply renew the COE next year & keep it around. Just because...

But now that it might find a decent owner, may decide to let the trusty bike be adopted by someone who will use it much more.

How much it is worth? Since I just renewed the insurance in late November for $200+, is there a refund of sorts if the bike is sold off?

Hi all!

Would like to know the estimated market value for 9-year old TA200, please?

Someone just offered to purchase my 9-year old FZ-plate TA200. Below are some details off the LTA page:

Year Of Manufacture: 2005

Original Registration Date: 28 Nov 2005

COE Expiry Date: 27 Nov 2015

Road Tax Expiry Date: 27 Nov 2015

Inspection Due Date: 27 Nov 2015

The bike is mostly stock. Have a Givi box & the Eagle passenger-footrests.

Bought first-hand. No accidents. No major issues. Odometer reading @ 89974 km.

Have not been riding too much in the past year or so. Driving a lot more with having to ferry my daughters around.

Was planning to simply renew the COE next year & keep it around. Just because...

But now that it might find a decent owner, may decide to let the trusty bike be adopted by someone who will use it much more.

How much it is worth? Since I just renewed the insurance in late November for $200+, is there a refund of sorts if the bike is sold off?

Really depends on the machine condition. If your bike is in good condition (both aesthetically as well as internally), I (do not represent the majority) might still pay 1500 to about 1800 for the machine price. Thats about the same machine price I paid for my existing ride. But if you push into a bike shop, the trade in price will be much worse, some may offer as low as 200 to 300 (harping on the point that your COE is almost dead and not renewed).

Condition (mostly aesthetic) is a vital point for sales between private persons. If the aesthetics are horrible (rusting parts everywhere), you will have a hard time convincing whoever is trying to buy your bike that the internals are maintained properly as well.

Hello everyone, I was just wondering that where does all phantoms go for servicing. Surely, not everyone will be taking their bike to planet or unique. Are there smaller shops around with good mechanics who can service the bike and rectify small problems here and there.

Please pour in your suggestions.

Hello everyone, I was just wondering that where does all phantoms go for servicing. Surely, not everyone will be taking their bike to planet or unique. Are there smaller shops around with good mechanics who can service the bike and rectify small problems here and there.

Please pour in your suggestions.

Small problems can usually DIY. Thats how user-friendly a TA200 is. You can basically change out all the small parts yourself without much issues. There are smaller shops around, but they are usually manned by 1 or 2 mechs whom are already occupied by a lot of other jobs.

Shops that I've been to for oil change/ minor servicing

1. Ah Teck Enterprise - Choa Chu Kang Ave 1 (friendly 1 man show mechanic; prices not very competitive but mech is a responsible person)

2. Motoworld - 10 Kaki Bukit Road 1#01-08 6844 0078

3. Aunty Shop Ubi aka Champion Hobby - 1 Kaki Bukit Road 2, 417835 6604 6637 (large selection of TA200 accessories)

4. Ah Koon - 61 Lengkok Bahru (1 man show, also carries large selection of TA200 accessories)

5. Unique Motors - (check advertiser board for outlets) Best advantage is that they allow credit card payments. So you earn points while spending on your TA200.

6. Republic Motors - (check advertiser board for address) Honest people. Offers every now and then.

Hi you can get whatever insurance left back when u cancel it. Your bike must be in great condition. I am looking to buy one off an uncle just before he scrap it next year.

Really depends on the machine condition. If your bike is in good condition (both aesthetically as well as internally), I (do not represent the majority) might still pay 1500 to about 1800 for the machine price. Thats about the same machine price I paid for my existing ride. But if you push into a bike shop, the trade in price will be much worse, some may offer as low as 200 to 300 (harping on the point that your COE is almost dead and not renewed).

Condition (mostly aesthetic) is a vital point for sales between private persons. If the aesthetics are horrible (rusting parts everywhere), you will have a hard time convincing whoever is trying to buy your bike that the internals are maintained properly as well.

Thank you, ber & matthias76!

I am not looking to sell my ride for the highest price. Wasn't even planning on selling... Just want to feel out the "market price" so know what to propose.

I recently bought a well maintained TA200 Custom (Gen 2) with remaining 2yrs of COE for $2.5K...I feel it's a good buy.

I can still have de option of reviving it for another 10yrs plus de Gen 2 version is more sought after.

It's a pity pushing our Phantom to bike shop as most of them only renews 5yr of COE due to the steep price. Thus, more Phantom will be obsolete by then...

I recently bought a well maintained TA200 Custom (Gen 2) with remaining 2yrs of COE for $2.5K...I feel it's a good buy.

I can still have de option of reviving it for another 10yrs plus de Gen 2 version is more sought after.

It's a pity pushing our Phantom to bike shop as most of them only renews 5yr of COE due to the steep price. Thus, more Phantom will be obsolete by then...

Which may not be such a bad thing for the rest of Gen 1/2 owners. Maybe after another 10 years or some, TA200 may be so rare that it can be called a classic bike....mwahahahaha.... Case in point would be the Seiko 6309 7040 (turtle case Diver). This was one of the basic workhorse model diving watch in the late 70s/early 80s. Nothing fanciful but definitely cheap and reliable. Fast forward to today, you will find it hard to get one even if you try to bid it off the internet. For some which are maintained properly (not the usual Frankenstein ones), the price can go as high as 800USD, and even so again, you may not be able to find one.

Not that I am concern about the possible resale price of my bike in 10 years time. I'll probably be more concern about the COE price by then...

For the interim time, spare parts are aplenty since so many are going to the scrapyard. Pity? Yes. All bad? Not really.

Asking about the bulb, h6m? I am looking to have it changed to led, it is really too dim.

I wanted to but scared of TP. AFAIK led/HID headlight sure fail especially if it's cold white. Well you can swap it out before inspection but the challenge is always when you will get stopped on the road.

Truth be told, Singapore roads are well-lit and you hardly come across any stretch that is poorly lit, unless its within a private estate, or the street side trees are not pruned. Still, having a brighter light is always better.

My solution is to go for a pair of fog/auxiliary lights. I wire them to both an independant switch as well as my pass-light/high beam button to flash drivers who are day dreaming. Inspection comes, I just cover it with 2 pairs of army sock and LTA can't fault me liao.