SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Honda PCX

EIDTSH

I did not say that. What I said was that J Costa can solve the problems stated about maximum speed and slow pick-up.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s170/mikerust/Variator/d0099181_2132199-1.jpg

Well, Assuming J costa did made a variator for PCX. I would say yes. PCX is out in Thailand for aprox 2 years. some of the rider actually did some research.

The variator was on of the restriction that honda put in for top speed restriction.

The accelaration part was supposed to be restricted by the ecu.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Assuming J costa did made a variator for PCX. I would say yes. PCX is out in Thailand for aprox 2 years. some of the rider actually did some research.

The variator was on of the restriction that honda put in for top speed restriction.

The accelaration part was supposed to be restricted by the ecu.

I have done a little research but am by no means an expert.

The variator does have a hexagonal appearance as you can see from this picture of one on my desk.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s170/mikerust/Variator/PA300598.jpg

The shape does appear to restrict the movement but the ramp shape may compensate for that. The only way to tell for sure would be to see if the wear on your pulleys goes all the way to the outside. I don't have a PCX of my own.

The ECU has an 8000 rpm rev limiter. But Vespas have rev limiters as well, so nothing unusual there. Don't forget the PCX has a 2-valve head so is not designed as a high rev unit. Yes the ECU maybe set up for economy rather than performance but I do not know of any "restriction" other than the revs. I have read on a Spanish forum that someone used an I-Map, which raises the rpm limit amongst other things, but has been unable so far to get more than 2 or 3 kph increase in speed over stock.

Standard PCX has a theoretical max. of about 122kph using a formula I found on the web.

J Costa gets 116kph (real) on their dyno.

On a standard PCX the key is to get the engine to rev to 6000 rpm on acceleration, which is where maximum torque is produced. Between 0 and say 75kph (real) about 80-ish on the speedo, above that the variator can do no more and it is up to the engine. J Costa does drop the revs off a bit at lower throttle as that is to raise the gearing for cruising. No one wants to ride around all day at a minimum of 6000!

All I know from Xavier, at J Costa, is that they arrived at their design and configuration on one of their dynos (which they also manufacture) to give the best compromise for road use.

I have done a little research but am by no means an expert.

The variator does have a hexagonal appearance as you can see from this picture of one on my desk.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s170/mikerust/Variator/PA300598.jpg

The shape does appear to restrict the movement but the ramp shape may compensate for that. The only way to tell for sure would be to see if the wear on your pulleys goes all the way to the outside. I don't have a PCX of my own.

The ECU has an 8000 rpm rev limiter. But Vespas have rev limiters as well, so nothing unusual there. Don't forget the PCX has a 2-valve head so is not designed as a high rev unit. Yes the ECU maybe set up for economy rather than performance but I do not know of any "restriction" other than the revs. I have read on a Spanish forum that someone used an I-Map, which raises the rpm limit amongst other things, but has been unable so far to get more than 2 or 3 kph increase in speed over stock.

Standard PCX has a theoretical max. of about 122kph using a formula I found on the web.

J Costa gets 116kph (real) on their dyno.

On a standard PCX the key is to get the engine to rev to 6000 rpm on acceleration, which is where maximum torque is produced. Between 0 and say 75kph (real) about 80-ish on the speedo, above that the variator can do no more and it is up to the engine. J Costa does drop the revs off a bit at lower throttle as that is to raise the gearing for cruising. No one wants to ride around all day at a minimum of 6000!

All I know from Xavier, at J Costa, is that they arrived at their design and configuration on one of their dynos (which they also manufacture) to give the best compromise for road use.

I'm not sure if I am interpreting the overseas forum correctly. The ECU restriction is not just about rev limits.

My interpretation is also they flatten rpm power curve.

It was said that they put 2 "restrictor "at both 30km/h and 80km/h part of the mapping.

Normally without restrictor it will plot a chart of 45deg graph (discription purpose. we all know in real life is not the case)

So with this 2 "restrictor" in place. the graph is supposed to be 45 deg to 30km/h then flat for a little while. then 45deg to 80 then flat for a little while again before going to the max of the power curve.

The forum says that this is to retard the bursting accelaration that the original ECU and the offset crank design engine.

Regarding the offset crank design. It is supposed to be one of the current innovation for engine.

According to Honda, this allows the engine to rev easier, produce more power and have lesser wear and tear on the engine parts, in comparison to traditional engine design.

I don’t know anything about any ECU restrictions. There are none on the J Costa dyno graph. There is a drop in HP between 15 and 27 kph, about 11%, my interpretation of that is that is to point at which the clutch locks up thus reducing rpm a bit. Don’t know as the rpm is not on the dyno chart. There is no dip at 80 kph. If anything was to happen at 80 kph indicated that would be the bit where the variator runs out of influence as transmission is now in it’s “highest gear” (108/8000*6000=81)

I am familiar with offset grinding cranks to increase stoke but I see no reason to do that on a production engine as the engineer would simply design in what stroke he wanted. Offset cylinder on the other hand such as the new CBR250, is reported to have

http://0.tqn.com/d/motorcycles/1/G/u/N/0/-/CBR250R_Power-Unit_Conceptual-Diagram-of-Offset-Cylinder_lr.jpg

where the crank is offset towards the front of the engine, would make sense as it reduces piston friction on the power stroke and as PCX seems to be designed with economy in mind that would make sense. However Honda makes no such claims for PCX.

One thing I did glean from the Spanish forum is that a guy put on an I-Map piggy-back ECU, which effectively removes the rev limit, and he only got 2-3 kph difference in top speed.

I don’t know anything about any ECU restrictions. There are none on the J Costa dyno graph. There is a drop in HP between 15 and 27 kph, about 11%, my interpretation of that is that is to point at which the clutch locks up thus reducing rpm a bit. Don’t know as the rpm is not on the dyno chart. There is no dip at 80 kph. If anything was to happen at 80 kph indicated that would be the bit where the variator runs out of influence as transmission is now in it’s “highest gear” (108/8000*6000=81)

I am familiar with offset grinding cranks to increase stoke but I see no reason to do that on a production engine as the engineer would simply design in what stroke he wanted. Offset cylinder on the other hand such as the new CBR250, is reported to have

http://0.tqn.com/d/motorcycles/1/G/u/N/0/-/CBR250R_Power-Unit_Conceptual-Diagram-of-Offset-Cylinder_lr.jpg

where the crank is offset towards the front of the engine, would make sense as it reduces piston friction on the power stroke and as PCX seems to be designed with economy in mind that would make sense. However Honda makes no such claims for PCX.

One thing I did glean from the Spanish forum is that a guy put on an I-Map piggy-back ECU, which effectively removes the rev limit, and he only got 2-3 kph difference in top speed.

The jap honda PCX website did mentioned about the offset crank. I was reading the release docu about the pcx.

Anyway, I think the future for PCX will be interesting. I must admit I curious what KITACO did on the Piggybag ecu.

The jap honda PCX website did mentioned about the offset crank. I was reading the release docu about the pcx.

Anyway, I think the future for PCX will be interesting. I must admit I curious what KITACO did on the Piggybag ecu.

Pick up is slow

Adven,

This just in from a J Costa customer.

On 17 January 2011 07:59, Dxxxxx Sxxxt <...........> wrote:

Hey Mike,

My belt only has about 1600k on it so we stayed with it. Wow...what an initial improvement in acceleration. Acceleration from 30k to 70k was my primary motivation, so I am a happy camper so far. Also, smoothness comes to mind. It is a completely different bike. Spools up smoothly and very quickly. Install was a snap...30 minutes at the Honda dealer and 200Baht. Unit is a little expensive, but my and my girlfriend's life are much safer now that we can pass on rural two-lane roads without wondering if we are going to make it in time.

Will drop you a line once I have had time to ride for a while. Later....

• 3 weeks later...

To all riders,

I am selling a about a week old bought PCX honda grey color for sale. Mileage is only 100 plus. Reason for me to sell is because buying a Harley road king. I bought this PCX at $7680/- Willingly to sell at $7000/-. Just call or sms me at 98797887 if interested in this bike.

My lost is yr gain

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

is there any update on price, overall bike performance, recommendation, personal feel, accessories etc etc?this thread is really quiet...really thinking of getting this bike as my bike coe ends on sept..deep ****...coe so high..

2004-2009 Kawasaki KR150

2009 - 2015 Yamaha Fino

2015 - Honda PCX 150

Just got this bike today. Smooth ride! Very quiet, very good acceleration, maintaining speed at 60-70 on slopes isn't a problem. Comfortable riding in town area and the idle stop is magic. Like the looks (even with the 42l box behind.) I'll enjoy this ride for a long time.

Just got this bike today. Smooth ride! Very quiet, very good acceleration, maintaining speed at 60-70 on slopes isn't a problem. Comfortable riding in town area and the idle stop is magic. Like the looks (even with the 42l box behind.) I'll enjoy this ride for a long time.

this scoot is the major reason why i'd decided to sell my car and pick up a 2b lic! I find it really very nice. Coupled with the fuel economy, this bike seemed to be the best for city riding..i'm hoping to get my lic in 2 mth's time and i'd head over to get it.

@iliramove: how much did you pay for the bike in total? if not convenient, can pm me..and would it be too much to ask if you have time for kopi/tea, so i can take a closer look at it? I'm paiseh to go to a motor shop to ask..since i've got no lic yet.. =)

Thanks!

BMW R1200GSLC 2014 (20smiles/miles)

Mini Cooper S Clubman 2011 (10smiles/miles)

Hi Kelena,

You've got message.

I've actually looked at a few scooters and narrowed down my choice to Daelim S3 and this bike. I rode on both before and finally decided to get the PCX.

Although some might say S3 would be more advanced in technology and all, I think it's down to personal preference. The PCX has a lot of technology invested in it too in my opinion. Idle stop, ACG brushless starter, PGM-Fi, V-Matic transmission and the beautiful beautiful body line... (Can't beat that now can you?)

The S3 felt more rough in terms of ride and it might be higher in top speed, but who needs to go crazy on a 125cc scooter competing with homicidal Volvo-driving moms? Just joking :)

In the end, the PCX claims a 45km/l fuel consumption so, that's a winner for me. Hassle free and you can just concentrate on riding, rather than maintaining it :)

Just my two cents worth of opinion.

Sent from Tapatalk

I got it from AS Phoon. Since last year October 2010. Machine price is around $5K. OTR is about $8K now. AS Phoon interest at 5% per annum.

Mine is a white PCX. Service at Boon Siew.

I got it from AS Phoon. Since last year October 2010. Machine price is around $5K. OTR is about $8K now. AS Phoon interest at 5% per annum.

Why don't you service at ASP? is there any difference?

Sent from Tapatalk

PCX have warranty service with Boon Siew. ASP also ask to service at Boon Siew. Probably PCX quite new and they dunno how to service. Although abit expensive but Boon Siew have very good service and its very comfy to have sofa and drinks while you wait and watch ur bike get serviced thru a TV.

Dont pump SPC and dont pump Shell.

You pump SPC will have some funny click sound in the engine and also no power.

You pump Shell will be smooth ride with power but super hot and engine drink fast also.

I always pump Esso synergy 8000. No click, got power, very smooth and engine not hot.

If in JB, I always pump Petronas 97. Cheap and Powerful.

Never tried Caltex.

Dont pump SPC and dont pump Shell.

You pump SPC will have some funny click sound in the engine and also no power.

You pump Shell will be smooth ride with power but super hot and engine drink fast also.

I always pump Esso synergy 8000. No click, got power, very smooth and engine not hot.

If in JB, I always pump Petronas 97. Cheap and Powerful.

Never tried Caltex.

I pump Caltex 98. It's ok and smooth. I also agree that Petronas 97 is the best choice in Malaysia. If I'm driving my car to Malaysia, I always pump that.

Would you mind sharing what's the costs for servicing at BS?

Sent from Tapatalk