SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Gearing Up - Are you ATGATT, MOTGATT or something else?

vyruz

Hey guys

The back protector thread (http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php/302187-Back-protectors-Do-you-use-any has brought up some interesting views on gearing up. Everyone has their opinion on what is sufficient gear, so perhaps it is better that we try to gather as many opinions to see what's what.

I propose a format where you identify what sort of bike you ride (if general, note down class), the purpose of your riding (leisure, transport, daily use etc), and list your gear down. If there is some gear you wear sometimes and not others, try listing them down as well.

I'll start:

Bike: Sportsbike - Class 2B

Purpose: Leisure only

Gear ATT (all the time):

1. FF Helmet

2. Gloves with armour

3. Shoulder and elbow armour (part of inner layer)

4. Standalone back protector

5. Jeans with armour

6. Riding boots

Gear SOTT (some of the time):

1. Full armour jacket

Cry 'Havoc'.....and let slip the dogs of war

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wah,thmbs up man for u

wads MOTGATT ?

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/lotand/IMG_1124.jpg

Ride Defensively; always.

Class BB2BDC - 11AUG2010

Kawasaki KIPS -> 2010 ~ 2014

Aprilia RS125(09) -> 2014 ~ 2017

Class BB2ADC - NOV2016

Suzuki DRZ -> 2017 ~ 2018

Honda Revo -> 2018 ~

I'll start:

Bike: Sportsbike - Class 2B

Purpose: Leisure only

Gear ATT (all the time):

1. FF Helmet

2. Gloves with armour

3. Shoulder and elbow armour (part of inner layer)

4. Standalone back protector

5. Jeans with armour

6. Riding boots

1. Full armour jacket

wa. rly up. ride safe!

Selling Aprilia Front, Rear Brakes & Dellorto 34mm Carb !

Selling Aprilia Parts!

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php/304715-WTS-Aprilia-Front-amp-Rear-Brakes-Full-Set-amp-Dellorto-34mm-Carb!

PM me for more info! :cheeky:

Most Of The Gear, All The Time :)

lols.litat aso can

haha

Class BB2BDC - 11AUG2010

Class BB2ADC - NOV2016

Honda Revo -> 2018 ~

the gear i put on depends on the location, type of riding and wat bike i'm on.. take for example i'm not goin to put on my riding jacket, full face helmet, gloves and boots for a 5min trip to 7-11 on my scooter.. but if i was riding to malaysia for some spirited riding on my sportsbike.. of cos i put everything on.. u can say accidents can happen anytime n anywhr.. but i believe we oso can make our decision based on how dangerous the circumstances r..

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/wayangxjr/contrast_siggy.jpg

Bike: Sportsbike - Class 2

Purpose: Commute and Leisure, with once in a while track

Gear ATT (all the time):

1. FF Helmet

2. Short gloves with knuckle protectors and reinforced palm

and err... well i'm not embarrassed to admit, the above are the only safety gear i put on for ATT. i must also say i always wear long pants and shoes minimum. berms and slippers are just.... really stupid for biking and i dun care who i offend with that statement.

1. Air mesh jacket with soft armour.

i will admit, practicality rules my minimum gear.

i have to put on and carry around a helmet anyway, so might as well make sure its an FF with dot/snell even if its going to be low price. wat practicality would i gain from an open face? nothing. safety gain of an FF? priceless.

short gloves are not difficult to carry around. so again, i dun see why i should be riding without them.

but other gear is when it gets impractical for me, no matter wat ppl say about 'riding for the fall'. i cant ride with proper boots all the time coz if i bike to work, i need my leather office shoes. jackets are too difficult to carry around, since i dun have a box. early in my class 2 biking i bought my air mesh jacket and had the attitude that i simply must wear it all the time for safety, but after the hassle of lugging it around everywhere i go, i gave up. so i limited my jacket to fri/sat nite out with other biker frens where i ride just to hang out and have little else to carry around. and if the jacket is a hassle, then lets not talk riding pants. and while i'm intrigued by the back protector, i also think it'll be the same hassle, altho i might get it for track sessions.

so there u go, where i stand. no reason to wear open face instead of full face. short gloves are not a hassle. and when u go out u have to wear clothes anyway, so make sure u at least cover up with long pants and shoes. i see no excuse for anything less than these, but anything more starts impeding on my practicality.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/689/siggyyy.jpghttp://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/203/hsmj.jpg

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

Bike: Sports Cub - Class 2B

Sport Bike - Class 2A

Purpose: Transport and Leisure

Gear MoTT (most of the time):

1. FF Helmet

2. Medium Length Leather Gloves

3. Above Ankle Riding Boots

1. Drystar (waterproof) Armored Textile Jacket (can get a bit hot inside.. haha)

2. Full Length Sports Boots

3. Perforated One Piece Leather Suit

Things Yet To Get:

1. A* mesh jacket.

2. tot of getting perforated leather jacket too..

3. and some riding pants..

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4081/4931040347_0bda87b07d_b.jpg

Bike: Naked/Street bike - Class 2A

Purpose: Leisure, Transport, Commuting

Gear ATT (all the time):

1. FF Helmet

2. Gloves with knuckle protector

3. Mesh Jacket with soft shoulder, elbow & back armour

Thats it for me. But i ALWAYS wear long jeans and my Doc Marten leather ankle cut boots. They're part of my street wear, so i dun see any practical reason to fully gear up... around Singapore anyway. :D

I'll wear the above to commute to work and also to go to town to meet up with my mates/gf. Its not really an issue as i'll put the gloves in my helmet and lock the helmet to my bike. Jacket i'll just fold it up and place in box or bag to carry it around since the armours are soft and it is'nt so bulky.

But for short trips,

Regardless whatever situation i'm in, i'll always wear my FF helmet, gloves, a pair of long jeans and my Doc marten boots when i ride. Thats the minimum i feel is the safety standard for myself. If im too lazy to wear my shoes, i'll just take public.

Intend to get better jacket with hard armour, riding boots and riding pants when i eventually do up north touring, but that is another story for another day. :D

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/3699/ref1.jpg

FF n gloves r e minium gear i guess

ff-helmet ma,cfm nid

gloves-aiyo,aso nt v big,can put inside ur ff when carrying e ff

:)

Class BB2BDC - 11AUG2010

Class BB2ADC - NOV2016

Honda Revo -> 2018 ~

As for people commenting on the gear I wear, if it's negative comments, I choose not to ride with them. Just like you wouldn't hang around "cool" people at school telling you that paying attention to the teacher is "lame", you wouldn't hang around riders who try convincing you that safety gear is not required. They seem to have not grasped the blindingly obvious fact that more injuries and deaths occur to riders on the public roads than on the track. http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php/images/smilies/icon-sian.gif Of course if they're just kidding around, then kid back! I try not to snap back with hard gear-up-or-die comments because many times they're just kidding around/making small talk.

Hope you don't mind me putting the quote from your other thread here :3

I'm open to suggestions on how to organise local trips with an emphasis on safety dress awareness without putting up the image of "gear up or die" as you said. The majority of my 'clients' can't even afford a firsthand motorcycle much less purchase a suit of riding gear that will be more than what their monthly salary can sustain (thus, sticking to class 2B, myself included).

Currently I'm at the level of timing the trips in such a way there is little to no exposure to traffic or bad weather. Being a small cute kitten I'm obviously not capable of telling people to go home :D

wad do u think ppl dun even bother to get a ff helmet, riding in at least long pants and shoes will even think about getting proper gears. and more extreme case like get bikes on installment and soon have to let go due to financial inability.

without ff, shoes and glove i sure feel naked and the even the engine of sp is too hot for me to ride in shorts. good that my pillion is understanding enough to wear all the gears for her during our trip. made me worried less for her. except her stupid decision on wearing sandals...

there was once i witness a rider self skid during a turn. sparks was flying and he rolled into the middle of the road, lucky midnight no traffic. when i hurried to helped him and asked, "are you ok?"

he proudly showed off his gears, "thanks to my gears, im unscratched."

for a more realistic view, just go and see those motivation slider before and after photos. think your skin can take tt?

Edited by shong

Hope you don't mind me putting the quote from your other thread here :3

I'm open to suggestions on how to organise local trips with an emphasis on safety dress awareness without putting up the image of "gear up or die" as you said. The majority of my 'clients' can't even afford a firsthand motorcycle much less purchase a suit of riding gear that will be more than what their monthly salary can sustain (thus, sticking to class 2B, myself included).

Currently I'm at the level of timing the trips in such a way there is little to no exposure to traffic or bad weather. Being a small cute kitten I'm obviously not capable of telling people to go home

No problem, Cat ;)

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Promoting awareness is probably the best we can do. Just keep the topic of gearing up alive, and I think some riders will rethink their approach. Those that are on the fence about whether to gear up or not can listen to points raised/options available, and make their own choice. Those that are strongly on the you-can't-tell-me-what-to-do side are free to ignore posts on safety gear and go about their merry way. :thumb:

As for a "dress code" for local trips, I have no idea :) What would you like to see as a minimum? Helmet, gloves and decent shoes? Or helmet, long pants and decent shoes? I think both are reasonable requirements (though I'm a fan of gloves). As long as a few of us come to a consensus, and list it down as 'recommended' in the trip plan, I think that should be ok. I'm more than happy to support a move to make some things compulsory, but we should then be prepared for a much smaller gathering.

There seems to be two main complaints to gearing up: (i) cost, and (ii) inconvenience (I'm ignoring the ridiculous third category - "I won't get into an accident because I have amazing skills"). For (i), I can see their logic but have trouble understanding in some cases. For instance, if you say you can't afford gloves but regularly smoke, go out clubbing etc, is it really true that you can't afford gloves, or is it more an issue of where you rather spend your money? If it's the latter, then it probably falls in category (ii) - inconvenience. Inconvenience is an acceptable complaint for day-to-day riding, but not for organised riding trips IMO.

Those that are strongly on the you-can't-tell-me-what-to-do side are free to ignore posts on safety gear and go about their merry way. http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php/images/smilies/icon-thumbsup.gif

Indeed, we can't convince everyone to play by the book.

However from last Sunday's team performance it can be rightfully said that a more stringent approach to convoy organisation is compulsory for any sort of long-term group activity. I can accept long pants, jacket and covered shoes as basic common sense riding necessities for light duty commuting.

However nabil and I recently appear very interested in advanced riding techniques and more or less should end up in the sports touring interest group category. And here and there bits and pieces of MOTGATT start appearing due to common sensical reasons.

The same way I would expect everyone to have had done their due diligence with machine condition, fuel levels etc, so the convoy need not stop and wait for one or two persons to settle their "personal issues", safety dress would be considered a personal responsibility.

But of course those in flipflops will never get to experience riding shotgun with the leading duo -> I'll put them in the "VIP" middle section with a speed limit of 60kph :D

Nor would I invite them along if I wanted to do any sort of special event.

and more extreme case like get bikes on installment and soon have to let go due to financial inability.

True but I have no interest in discriminating between the rich and poor. If they have their own two wheels they're entitled the same respect as anyone else sharing the same challenges on the road as I.

Showing the "high risk" demographic some tender loving compassion is the right way to encourage them to take up a semi professional attitude in future. Shafting them is just a good way to ensure you will see Hayabusa riders in slippers.

Purpose: Daily Use

Gear ATT (All The Time):

1. FF Helmet

2. Alpinestar SPX Gloves

3. Mesh Jacket with shoulder/elbow/back protector

4. Jeans

5. Knee guard

6. Shoes

Yamaha RXZ, Kawasaki ZX KR150, Yamaha Spark135, Honda CB400 REVO NC42, Suzuki DRZ400SMK8, Aprilia RS125, Suzuki GSXR600K9, Honda RS150R

Click on the bike models for Information/Servicing/Maintenance on Kawasaki KR150, Honda CB400 Revo, Suzuki DRZ400SM and Suzuki GSXR

Facebook HONDA CB400 REVO

Can't post a new thread ?? Read HERE

SBF Garage Sales Act ---> Read HERE

The same way I would expect everyone to have had done their due diligence with machine condition' date=' fuel levels etc, so the convoy need not stop and wait for one or two persons to settle their "personal issues",[/quote']

LOL.

*zing* :thumb:

bike: scrambler class 2b, roadbike class 2a

AOTT

full face helmet

covered shoes

MOTT

leather gloves with protector

riding boots (close to AOTT)

SOTT

mesh jacket with armor

mesh pants with armor

(ii) - inconvenience. Inconvenience is an acceptable complaint for day-to-day riding, but not for organised riding trips IMO.

but lets say hor, you are heading to an organised riding trip after a busy day at work, then it would also be inconvenient, right?

boring rider. with a boring bike.

too old to want to appear interesting anymore.

Purpose: Daily Use

Gear ATT (All The Time):

1. FF Helmet

2. Alpinestar SPX Gloves

3. Mesh Jacket with shoulder/elbow/back protector

4. Jeans

5. Knee guard

6. Shoes

:clapping: :bow:

Do you sweat much under the jacket and FF? I don't mind going full gear early in the morning or at nights, but cannot stand full gear in the sun (so have been avoiding riding in the sun).

Shoes - above or below ankle?

but lets say hor, you are heading to an organised riding trip after a busy day at work, then it would also be inconvenient, right?

As in, you wouldn't have full gear on you because you went straight from work? Not really IMO. I would try to wear as much gear to work in that case, pack the rest, but go to the riding trip geared up. Not too inconvenient because it isn't happening everyday. I mean, it's kinda like going for a run or to the gym after work. You wouldn't rock up with your work shirt and leather shoes, right? :)

When I ride to the office, I try to come in before 730am so the traffic is lite and the temp is moderate. I wear my kevlar jeans, airmesh or leather jacket, gloves, boots and 3/4 helmet. I neatly pack my dress shirt and slacks and change once in the office. Going home, I dont care how much I sweat so just cram the shirt/pants in the panniers.

I have more issues with the bad exhaust fumes smell, and the rain.

However from last Sunday's team performance it can be rightfully said that a more stringent approach to convoy organisation is compulsory for any sort of long-term group activity. I can accept long pants, jacket and covered shoes as basic common sense riding necessities for light duty commuting.

However nabil and I recently appear very interested in advanced riding techniques and more or less should end up in the sports touring interest group category. And here and there bits and pieces of MOTGATT start appearing due to common sensical reasons.

I absolutely, positively, concur. It is quite clear that, in group riding at least, the choices of individuals affect the group as a whole. For instance, I'd rather not start my Sunday morning helping a riding group colleague find his toe somewhere on the PIE.

Yes, everyone has the choice to gear up to the level of their liking. That said, if you're going to sign up for a group ride, you're implicitly agreeing to the Ts & Cs of the ride organizer. If a dress code is specified, you have two choices: dress accordingly or don't turn up. Imagine you organize and throw a fancy dinner party, thinking how fun and cool it's going to be when everyone turns up, and I rock up in my food-stained home singlet and ripped shorts. Not very nice, is it? :)

Cat & nabil - you guys should check out this DVD entitled Ride Like a Pro. I've started watching it and it has some pretty nice tips and tricks for advance riding techniques. I'm hoping to put it into practice sometime soon at a carpark nearby using my tennis-ball-halves as cones!

When I ride to the office, I try to come in before 730am so the traffic is lite and the temp is moderate. I wear my kevlar jeans, airmesh or leather jacket, gloves, boots and 3/4 helmet. I neatly pack my dress shirt and slacks and change once in the office. Going home, I dont care how much I sweat so just cram the shirt/pants in the panniers.

I have more issues with the bad exhaust fumes smell, and the rain.

Oh, and I forgot, an older American guy in my office rides in every day wearing full leathers, ff helmet, gloves, ATGATT. So it can be done, just need somewhere to mop up from all the sweat.

Oh, and I forgot, an older American guy in my office rides in every day wearing full leathers, ff helmet, gloves, ATGATT. So it can be done, just need somewhere to mop up from all the sweat.

Full leathers. OMG. I briefly considered a vented leather jacket like the Dainese Laguna Seca and RS Taichi GMX Motion Vented, but quickly gave up that idea after wearing them. But obviously your post is proof that it can be done.

Is your work shirt crinkly when you get to work? Or maybe you've got shirts that don't crinkle easily? As for your American colleague, how does he deal with the sweat? Are there showers at work? Or does he just rely on natural drycleaning? :)

Bike: Class 2 Sportbike

Purpose: Track days and leisure ride 3-4 times a month

Gear ATT:

1. FF helmet

2. Clover RS-4 race gloves (love the extra armour on the outside of the wrist)

3. Mesh or perforated leather jackets with armour

4. Jeans

5. Sport touring or race boots with torsion control to reduce chance of ankle injuries

Sometimes:

1. Dianese back protector

Track use don't need to say.

Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing.