SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

New 'high-end' 2b bike: KTM 125 Duke

mechwira

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

saw one cruising along west coast road passing Ginza Plaza today. Is Dirtwheel gona bring in the 250cc model? NIce balance design.

*人 在 江 湖 *敲 锣 打 鼓 *

嘴讲兰派爽! The World would be a better place if karma exists.

Bike Review of KTM Duke125 by EVOIIIGSR - Aug 2011

Greetings fellow KTM Duke125 fans

As much as many of you who salivate at the photos and videos of the KTM Duke125 at its official website and the upcoming Singapore launch of the KTM Duke125 in East Coast on 20 August 2011, so did I.

Never have I been excited to see a class 2b bike launch since the day I got my class 2b licence in Aug 1994.

17 years ago - 2b bikes looks pathetic compared to recent years.

I was very much honoured to be invited by KTM Singapore to visit their showroom to do a test ride on their new KTM Duke125 and write a short review.

First look:

The bike looks big and at the same time small. Confusing? Yes! For a 2b bike its definitely have the full size look of that a class 2a bike. The rear tyres is 17 inch with a width of 150. The rims, brake system, suspension, digital meter and styling all screams out - QUALITY BLING BLING STUFFS!!!

I mean if you gonna pay serious money, you would not want to have nothing less.

17 years ago, a brand new Aprilia RS125 Replica would set you back for SGD10K on the road. And now it would set you back close to SGD20K on the road for some one with less than 1 year of riding experience.

So if the KTM Duke125 is less than SGD12K, then in my humble opinion its a reasonably priced machine.

Remember you are young only once and my regret is that I cannot afford to buy an RS125 back then. Impressing the ladies in school was the top priority. Having a cool motorcycle is the key to get dates. Hehehe!

It also means freedom to go anywhere you like, hang out in town till late, riding to Changi Village for late nite supper with the bapoks, hang out outside Hard Rock Cafe, hang out at the crowded S11 kopitiam and hang out at the infamous Jalan Kayu "not nice anymore" Roti Prata etc etc.

I can imagine myself pulling up to one of these spots and be the centre of attraction (especially from Mat and Minah Saman) and no other bike would have a better effect than the KTM Duke125.

At traffic stops, other motorist may even mistaken it as a class 2 bike.

First ride:

I turned on the key and was pleased to see the digital display comes to live. Its a welcoming sign, as if the bike is greeting you. Pressed on the starter button and the bike purrs to live with ease. First thing I noticed is that the exhaust note is not as soft as a typical Japanese class 2b bike. Frankly, after having owned and ridden many brands and makes of class 2a and 2 bikes, the original exhaust sound is too mild for my liking. I hope LV or GPR or Arrow pipes could help on that. Better still, KTM very own finger licking good -Akraprovic!:cheeky:

The clutch action is light and the pick up is smooth. Underpowered was my first impression but then again I read that she is actually a high revver. So there I go, revving it up. She is very compliant when revved hard. I think this girl likes it when you squeeze the throttle as if you are in a race! Well KTM did say that their bikes are Ready to Race!:cool:

Remember, do not be gentle! Ride it as if you stole it! :faint:

Agility. This bike is light and so flickable. The handle bars position is just right even for my height of 1.77m and the suspensions took my 85kg body weight with stride. Its definitely easy to master for those who just got their class 2b riding licence. I believe this bike is also good to gain experience with. Its not intimidating as the "crazy horse" KTM 200 EXC but I do secretly wished KTM would come out with a 200cc 2-stroke Duke. It would seriouly put Honda Super4 kingship of the roads to jeopardy. :angel:

Braking. Top notch! Two finger braking for stoppies are easy. Rear brakes a bit soft though but that is good to prevent rear side skidding during rain, I guess.

Wheelies. Did not manage to do it. Maybe need a bigger rear sprocket or smaller front sprocket but I strongly suggest that you do not do it if you just passed. Or maybe I was way too heavy! Need the pros to do this one.

10 mins into the ride and I felt very comfortable. I felt that I know the bike for a long time. You will feel that the bike conforms to you. Just like that old pair of authentic Levis jeans. 501 Button-fly of course!:faint:

Regret to say that I cannot ride this baby home. After dismounting the bike and have a second look at it ... I really feel like putting a deposit for one. But a quick reality check, with 3 kids, a car loan, home loan, a 2011 KTM dirtbike loan, Hari Raya round the corner, another loan is not the priority in my list of things to do. Sigh! :cry:

But if the COE goes drops to SGD2, I would re-consider. I mean, this bike has a reported 40km/l consumption and for my age the insurance will be very affordable and frankly the road tax is peanuts! :dozed:

So whether you are a newbie or an old wrinkly bird, this bike is worth a look and maybe it can bring out the youth in you! :thumb:

Cheers! :)

Evo

PS: Evo is a motorcyles enthusiast who at one time owned so many bikes that he has to parked some of them in his HDB flat to save on parking charges. But that insanity has cured and his wife hope that it would not relapse. No animals, human or motorcycle was harmed during the test ride and if resemblence of anybody known referred to in the review, it is purely coincidental or that somebody is really confused.

HOW ON EARTH do you park your bike in your flat?? Take lift?? Carry up steps? LOL

Class 2B: 12 Oct 2011

Eun Hee - Roadwin R125: 15 Oct 2011 -

omg,saw 2 alrdy at west area both FBF plate

look nice

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/lotand/IMG_1124.jpg

Ride Defensively; always.

Class BB2BDC - 11AUG2010

Kawasaki KIPS -> 2010 ~ 2014

Aprilia RS125(09) -> 2014 ~ 2017

Class BB2ADC - NOV2016

Suzuki DRZ -> 2017 ~ 2018

Honda Revo -> 2018 ~

HOW ON EARTH do you park your bike in your flat?? Take lift?? Carry up steps? LOL

Bike Review of KTM Duke125 by EVOIIIGSR - Aug 2011

Greetings fellow KTM Duke125 fans

As much as many of you who salivate at the photos and videos of the KTM Duke125 at its official website and the upcoming Singapore launch of the KTM Duke125 in East Coast on 20 August 2011, so did I.

Never have I been excited to see a class 2b bike launch since the day I got my class 2b licence in Aug 1994.

17 years ago - 2b bikes looks pathetic compared to recent years.

I was very much honoured to be invited by KTM Singapore to visit their showroom to do a test ride on their new KTM Duke125 and write a short review.

First look:

The bike looks big and at the same time small. Confusing? Yes! For a 2b bike its definitely have the full size look of that a class 2a bike. The rear tyres is 17 inch with a width of 150. The rims, brake system, suspension, digital meter and styling all screams out - QUALITY BLING BLING STUFFS!!!

I mean if you gonna pay serious money, you would not want to have nothing less.

17 years ago, a brand new Aprilia RS125 Replica would set you back for SGD10K on the road. And now it would set you back close to SGD20K on the road for some one with less than 1 year of riding experience.

So if the KTM Duke125 is less than SGD12K, then in my humble opinion its a reasonably priced machine.

Remember you are young only once and my regret is that I cannot afford to buy an RS125 back then. Impressing the ladies in school was the top priority. Having a cool motorcycle is the key to get dates. Hehehe!

It also means freedom to go anywhere you like, hang out in town till late, riding to Changi Village for late nite supper with the bapoks, hang out outside Hard Rock Cafe, hang out at the crowded S11 kopitiam and hang out at the infamous Jalan Kayu "not nice anymore" Roti Prata etc etc.

I can imagine myself pulling up to one of these spots and be the centre of attraction (especially from Mat and Minah Saman) and no other bike would have a better effect than the KTM Duke125.

At traffic stops, other motorist may even mistaken it as a class 2 bike.

First ride:

I turned on the key and was pleased to see the digital display comes to live. Its a welcoming sign, as if the bike is greeting you. Pressed on the starter button and the bike purrs to live with ease. First thing I noticed is that the exhaust note is not as soft as a typical Japanese class 2b bike. Frankly, after having owned and ridden many brands and makes of class 2a and 2 bikes, the original exhaust sound is too mild for my liking. I hope LV or GPR or Arrow pipes could help on that. Better still, KTM very own finger licking good -Akraprovic!:cheeky:

The clutch action is light and the pick up is smooth. Underpowered was my first impression but then again I read that she is actually a high revver. So there I go, revving it up. She is very compliant when revved hard. I think this girl likes it when you squeeze the throttle as if you are in a race! Well KTM did say that their bikes are Ready to Race!:cool:

Remember, do not be gentle! Ride it as if you stole it! :faint:

Agility. This bike is light and so flickable. The handle bars position is just right even for my height of 1.77m and the suspensions took my 85kg body weight with stride. Its definitely easy to master for those who just got their class 2b riding licence. I believe this bike is also good to gain experience with. Its not intimidating as the "crazy horse" KTM 200 EXC but I do secretly wished KTM would come out with a 200cc 2-stroke Duke. It would seriouly put Honda Super4 kingship of the roads to jeopardy. :angel:

Braking. Top notch! Two finger braking for stoppies are easy. Rear brakes a bit soft though but that is good to prevent rear side skidding during rain, I guess.

Wheelies. Did not manage to do it. Maybe need a bigger rear sprocket or smaller front sprocket but I strongly suggest that you do not do it if you just passed. Or maybe I was way too heavy! Need the pros to do this one.

10 mins into the ride and I felt very comfortable. I felt that I know the bike for a long time. You will feel that the bike conforms to you. Just like that old pair of authentic Levis jeans. 501 Button-fly of course!:faint:

Regret to say that I cannot ride this baby home. After dismounting the bike and have a second look at it ... I really feel like putting a deposit for one. But a quick reality check, with 3 kids, a car loan, home loan, a 2011 KTM dirtbike loan, Hari Raya round the corner, another loan is not the priority in my list of things to do. Sigh! :cry:

But if the COE goes drops to SGD2, I would re-consider. I mean, this bike has a reported 40km/l consumption and for my age the insurance will be very affordable and frankly the road tax is peanuts! :dozed:

So whether you are a newbie or an old wrinkly bird, this bike is worth a look and maybe it can bring out the youth in you! :thumb:

Cheers! :)

Evo

PS: Evo is a motorcyles enthusiast who at one time owned so many bikes that he has to parked some of them in his HDB flat to save on parking charges. But that insanity has cured and his wife hope that it would not relapse. No animals, human or motorcycle was harmed during the test ride and if resemblence of anybody known referred to in the review, it is purely coincidental or that somebody is really confused.

Olla,

Splendid review! Yeah all of us live young only once! Make good use of the time!!!!

Duke is killing me..especially the upper cc...im loving it!!

Cheers

*Adrenaline Rush*

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

a friend of mine took a test ride on the duke 125 and was impressed. not surprising considering its been getting such great reviews here by locals, and even european bike mags.

Interestingly, he said the distributor claimed the duke 200 may arrive as early as march. thats much much earlier than i anticipated.

and even more interestingly, i found news about a duke 350:

According to reports out of India, KTM Chief Executive Officer Stefan Pierer has announced the Austrian manufacturer will produce 200cc and 350cc versions of its youth-oriented 125 Duke. Unfortunately for us in North America, the two new Dukes will appear destined for emerging markets such as India, Brazil, Thailand and Malaysia.

Speaking with the Indian press, Pierer says KTM is partnering with Bajaj Auto to develop the 200 Duke in 2012 with the 350 version to follow in 2013. Bajaj is one of India’s largest home-grown automotive manufacturers and a part-owner of KTM, and also helped develop the 125 Duke. Pierer says the 200 Duke will be introduced at the 2012 Delhi Auto Expo.

“During the Delhi Auto Expo next year, we will be launching the first 200cc Duke bike in India. We expect to sell 25,000 to 30,000 units in India in the first year of launch,” Pierer said. “After one year, we will launch the 350-cc Duke in India.”

Despite selling almost 7,000 KTM 125 Dukes in Europe, the 200cc and 350cc versions appear to be reserved for emerging markets in southeast Asia and Brazil.

Now here is the official news from KTM that the bike will be launched in the 2012 Auto Expo, which is the most speculated automobile event in the entire sub continent. Mr. Stefan Pierer, CEO of KTM Sport Motorcycle AG revealed this much awaited launch. He said, “During the Delhi Auto Expo next year, we will be launching the first 200 cc Duke bike in India”.

He also revealed the future plans of the company. “We expect to sell 25,000 to 30,000 units in India in the first year of launch” he said.

And here we come to the interesting part of this write up. Guess what? Mr. Stefan Pierer revealed that KTM Duke 350 will follow the Duke 200’s foray into the Indian market.

Both the KTM Duke 200 and 350 which are set for Indian market will be manufactured in Bajaj’s Chakan plant, as in the case of the Duke 125 which is exclusively exported to the European market.

The launch of the Duke 350 would make it the bike apart from Royal Enfield to come up with this displacement here in India. (Refers to the decent performing models which were launched in India).

KTM is making use of Bajaj’s plant with the intentions of exporting these models to other countries which include Brazil, Thailand and Malaysia.

now i'm getting really interested. a duke 350 in 2013 is something i would seriously consider getting.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/689/siggyyy.jpghttp://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/203/hsmj.jpg

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

• 4 weeks later...