SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Road Traffic Familiarisation (RTF) & Technical Seminars

Related Threads (creating this one to avoid conflict of interests, if any):

Just got a New bike? Go rounding to clock more mileage!

by @Qranc21

For the future and present 2B holders

by @aaronlovesyou

-------------

06122010.jpg

After Action Review - 11 DEC 2010 "Road Traffic Familiarisation (RTF) & Technical Seminar" session.

The Idea:

Not all of us have the chance to attend the new Expressway Familiarisation Ride now implemented in riding schools. It comes to mind that when we were new license holders we had a more difficult time adapting to local road conditions which in the day, is totally unlike that safe learning experience in the driving school circuit.

This self-devised RTF session is intended as a place for open communication between new riders and a means to improve vehicle knowledge (especially on responsible self-maintenence) and road safety awareness, namely, attempting to add a certain form of strategy to commuting to avoid commonly encountered road hazards, and how to deal with them.

We also get our hands dirty at Planet Motors as we inspect and conduct basic DIY repairs on our own motorcycles, or learn to under the supervision of the Planet Motors staff and owner. This both makes for a more pleasant, worry free riding experience, and highlights the commonly encountered issues from taking over used motorcycles.

Finally, who can forget the teamwork as we devise our own convoy tactics suited to our skill level and machine capabilities? The aim is simply to get from point A to point B to progress the daily itinerary, but can we do that without incurring any "compromised safety" incidents?

Attendance:

1. @xavw representing the 21st century commuting motorcycle with his fuel injected FZ150i

2. @asakura_hao88 with a just-bought-used 8 year old Honda Phantom as a "specimen" for sharing of (partly DIY) maintenance, mechanical awareness and some aspects of automotive theory

3. @Pandora's Kitten :3 representing the custom rebuilt, DIY-tuned Thai chopper as the ultimate, eventual result of working with the "Specimen" above.

Schedule:

First Stage (1100h - 1330h)

1. LTA Sin Ming (Icebreaking, New-vehicle Technical Inspection and Field Repairs to the "Specimen", just transferred ownership to @asakura_hao88)

2. The Devil's Bend (On-vehicle Icebreaking - staggered formation, road traffic & unfamiliar environment management)

3. SLE Eastbound (Expressway Familiarisation Ride, homemade edition, plus how to coordinate maneuvers and lane changes with other motorists without causing undue disruption in traffic flow, while working within legal speed limits)

4. Anchorvale (Pit Stop 1 - Lunch, AAR and riding theory forum at Anchorvale Mac. Plan for Second Stage)

First Stage Report:

I picked up a new set of tyres from HKL Racing Workshop at Bukit Merah then proceed to LTA Sin Ming to meet @asakura_hao88 and his new Honda Phantom. We did a vehicle inspection, took apart the side covers and found some stuck screws. While the mechanical condition is excellent, the rear suspension was wrongly configured - the left shock had minimum preload and the right one had maximum preload.

There was a very strange feeling from the rear brake pedal and improvised a repair.

We fixed it ourselves with a c-spanner from my toolkit and after certifying the crimson Phantom safe to ride, @xavw arrived on his brand new Yamaha FZ150i.

Proceeding in convoy out of Sin Ming, we learned a few tricks to operating the old but sturdy Thai chopper and proceeded without much fanfare to the Upper Thomson area. I demonstrated basic land navigation skills and also showed basic road traffic management techniques (I wave to cars to convey my awareness of them/my intentions), doubly important to ensure smooth passage of a motorcycle convoy through local traffic.

We then relaxed and cruised through Old Upper Thomson Road simulating a ride through unfamiliar territory and instructing in a practical environment how to look out for dangers on the road and how to react to them in a timely manner. (Monkeys, pedestrians, slow moving vehicles, blind corners, etc)

After that we took a detour through Mandai Road past the Pierce Reservoir (scenic area) just to get our convoy coordination right (remember, we have two new license holders and I needed to get the traveling formation and speed correct!) before hitting the SLE.

There, we learned how to keep the convoy together at a modest speed coordinating our maneuvers with other road users and heavy vehicles. Where necessary we gave way to the other vehicles, as we would be the ones holding up traffic if we insisted on a tight formation all the way. Rather than acting as one rigid convoy, I prefer to bestow some individual initiative to the convoy members, with a simple rule of keeping line of sight to the next motorcycle in front, and being 100% aware of surrounding vehicles' intentions. Remember, the convoy leader is there to set the strategy, and the convoy members execute the tactical plan (individual maneuvers). This skill is applicable for larger convoys that don't have the benefit of the convoy being able to operate in one single body.

Before long, we had enough automatic coordination to travel at 90-95kph on Lane 2 with the normal passenger cars without obstructing anyone.

We arrived at Anchorvale MacDonalds under the hot afternoon sun where we realised the importance of having a bike cover... Don't like melted horses for dessert.

Second Stage - (1500h - 1700h)

1. TPE - KPE - Ubi: The new license holders try their hand at a Land Navigation exercise using pre-briefed instructions getting the convoy to the Ubi area.

2. Hodaka Motoworld: Review of safety riding gear, choice of helmets, discussion on tools and items (lube, etc) needed for DIY maintenence

3. Planet Motor Cycles: Using the "Specimen" bike we conducted a more thorough mechanical review of @asakura_hao88's. Discussion + practical on simple repairs using Planet's tools and technical expertise for more difficult tasks

4. Advanced Riding Theory - Vehicle physics, dynamics, riding theory and road safety website recommendations.

5. PIE Westbound - Expressway Familiarisation (2) in heavier traffic involving longer distance and individual riders breaking formation to return home. Demo on convoy control and "retargeting" whist riding to adapt to changing traffic conditions (practical recap of Road Traffic Mgt).

6. Go home safely!

Second Stage Report:

Most local convoys I attended involve a game of pickup where the convoy leader is quite relaxed but the convoy members are playing a dangerous game weaving through traffic. I set the standard in our formation that it's up to me to think ahead of the situation in such a manner, I am actually planning from the perspective of the LAST or SLOWEST bike in the group. So, if I do a lane change, the FZ and Phantom behind me can follow safely because I gave enough space between them and other road users to safely maneuver. However, I also stressed that safety awareness is also the INDIVIDUAL RIDER's responsibility, creating a double safety bubble of what fighter pilots call situational awareness. Small groups can be this flexible. Larger ones tend to use the modus operandi mentioned in the earlier stage report.

For this second stage, @asakura_hao88 led the way in a land navigation exercise which brought us efficiently to the next destination - Ubi, for a healthy period of window shopping and maintenance discussions. I was quite surprised to note the Motoworld staff recognised me as I used to regularly bring other forumers to the place for safety gear and lube purchases.

After that we proceeded to Planet Motors for a partly-DIY maintenence session, fixing more issues with @asakura_hao88's Phantom based on feedback obtained from the previous riding sessions.

And that we decided, was enough for a day - although I have much more motoring experience and theory to share with the audience, we do have all year (and indeed, next year as well) to progress through all of that :)

Next Session:

Because newbies are so important to any modern organisation, we should hear their suggestions and future motorcycling needs instead of me outlining the next week's itenary, which probably involves a pizza delivery (on the house) and a nice picnic by the sea :D

Next Sessions are open to:

New License Holders only (Aug '10 or later).

Because you deserve a fighting chance on the public road where everyone else is cutting here and there minding their own business (never noticing your P plate) :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your support, I'm a big fan of triangle plates :D

Back when I had one, having an experienced rider following behind when I go to and from work was a huge bonus. So these days I thought about returning the favour as often as I can :D

Video from today (may not be processed yet, I'm just posing link before zz)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njASvbuatA8

I agree on the bonuses of someone to accompany a newbie ride.. Lucky for me, I have a pool of good frens whom willing to show me the route and guide me thru everything including lane splitting..

Maybe sud include riding on rainy or wet rds.. Fr starters start with small group..

Problems arise from advancement of technology - it causes unnecessary misunderstanding among us humans.

Maybe sud include riding on rainy or wet rds.. Fr starters start with small group..
A good tip - we can do that once I have a seasoned newbie convoy (lol!). I did share some tips for this.

In the morning I discovered one of the HKL mechanics almost giving me a rear tyre pressure of 280 (on a 2B bike, wtf?). If I didn't insist on the use of a tyre pressure gauge I would probably have skidded all the way. Might be a huge, big-chopper sort of tyre but since the Phantom is still fairly light at 140kg, Honda recommends a pressure of 200 for a reason.

Improper industry practises and not improper engineering had caused the Phantom to have a bad reputation for skidding. It's the same for some bikes having a reputation for "eating oil" - who gave them the idea to put twice the amount of oil into a tiny engine? (overpressure = poof, overhaul) Use better oil with superior high temperature stability instead!

This is relevant because the Phantom is still a very popular beginner's bike. But greater skill is needed with this one due to special maintenance attention needed and various delicate skills required for the long wheelbase.

hi ts aka kitten,

can i join your session as per thread title? hope you can assist me on this part and also to make more new friends with same interest towards motorcycling.

i just bought 2nd hand phantom ta200 2 weeks back, have not been on the road for past 5 years, now i ride with my balls shrunk on expressway, maybe old liao guts also deteriorate, yesterday dr. koh also commented that and i fully agreed.

i think i require confidence leveling session in order to gain back my full confidence on the road with current singapore traffic conditions and other road users' habits, also to gain more technical knowledge for motobike. in fact, i rode a 1st hand phantom for 18 months from 2003, however that bike was new and this model requires low maintenance/servicing which I do not fully understand how to maintain this model.

hi ts aka kitten,

can i join your session as per thread title? hope you can assist me on this part and also to make more new friends with same interest towards motorcycling.

i just bought 2nd hand phantom ta200 2 weeks back, have not been on the road for past 5 years, now i ride with my balls shrunk on expressway, maybe old liao guts also deteriorate, yesterday dr. koh also commented that and i fully agreed.

i think i require confidence leveling session in order to gain back my full confidence on the road with current singapore traffic conditions and other road users' habits, also to gain more technical knowledge for motobike. in fact, i rode a 1st hand phantom for 18 months from 2003, however that bike was new and this model requires low maintenance/servicing which I do not fully understand how to maintain this model.

Would be glad to accomodate. I'll see when yesterday's crew want to meet up for the next session as Xmas is just around the corner.

In the meantime try to avoid heavily congested roads if you feel intimidated by local traffic conditions. Use the bike like a weekend car (off-peak commuting and weekend rides) to get used to operating the machine and slowly get to know how Singaporean motorists react to your presence.

Working with local traffic is like making friends - it may be the case that initially everyone is very fast and hyper-aggressive and it just takes some time (and chance meetings with more patient and skilled drivers) to get used to "the flow".

What you may do to increase your survivability in traffic is make you and the bike as visible as possible. If drivers notice you making a point to "look safe" you will experience less queue cutting/sudden lane changes etc. The Phantom is quite big physically (park beside a Harley Sportster and you'll see what I mean) and you have the defensive advantage. By visibility, I mean avoid being a Black Power Ranger on a black bike. You see a lot on the forums today complaining about close encounters but have they tried driving a car? Black Power Rangers on scooters, bicycles, motorcycles, even WALKING, can be invisible at certain times of day. I don't have thermal imaging to see them lol!

The other thing to do is try and look in your mirrors a bit more often, and check blindspots even if it's not strictly necessary. It may sound stupid but you make other motorists wary of you if you're monitoring your surroundings very closely, just like in a tactical scenario you will exercise more caution attacking an enemy installation if you see active, alert patrols on the perimeter.

These "active defensive measures" coupled with pre-ride planning to avoid the worst of the known congestion zones should give you a safety bubble to work with. Give it a try, maybe you'll also realise that increased situational awareness combined with a relatively low average speed is a rare luxury. For instance doing the "monitoring traffic conditions all round" thing is much much easier on a cruiser type seating position, than leaned forward on a speeding sports commuter or race replica bike.

Lastly I will say that even if you and I have had licenses for many years, there is so guilt in wanting to go back to newbie level and re-learn everything.

In the industry we often have refresher courses to keep everyone up to date on the latest developments related to our work. Refresher courses are just like looking at other vehicles to practise predicting their next moves. More than just due diligence, it does everyone a favour (and makes the driver feel good the car is being looked at lol!)

It's when we think we know everything and label other people newbies that we become a danger to society :D

lol it's from a certain funny British motoring show where the lead presenter comments that teenagers "in Power Rangers suits" love to blast through his neighbourhood making "PEHHHHH PEEHHHHHHH" noises. lol.

Visibility - $3.50 reflective vest from Mustafa and $2 worth of reflective tape

29092010(010).jpg

Reflective tape can be a big help if you have a big box. Use it to attract some attention.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_J0_GWO1Bgk4/SUekxILjsOI/AAAAAAAABHo/lEsvCWqno30/s400/Bluffer.bmp

Class 2B - 26/03/2009

Class 2A - 01/06/2010

Class 3 - 10/07/2009

Rides(s)

1) Honda TA150 - 20/04/2009 to 31/08/2014

2) Honda CB400 Ver S - 12/07/2014 to ???

I'm sure the new guys appreciated your time and effort in all these voluntary works. Given the fact you initated all these on your own, puts most of us 'senior' riders to shame.

I see no opportunity for naysayers to pounce in here, if so, they are just being selfish.

Keep it up!:thumb:

Anyone can ride a bike. Being a biker, is a state of mind.

Looking forward to the next session!!! Sadly i can't make it this saturday.. =(

@xavw is attending defensive riding, which should be both great stress relief and useful learning for some more 'advanced' situations.

I know someone who is intending to pass TP just before the New Year, you two can accompany me when it's time to search for a suitable 125cc commuter for him.

In case he wants to buy a used bike, here's a small used bike buying guide :D

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php/309602-Motorcycle-Buying-Guide-Used-Bikes?p=6838011#post6838011

Edited by Pandora's Kitten :3

Bottle - part of my kopitiam engineering :) Eventually I'll post about the subject in the hands on section. I'm working on various other DIY improvements for other peoples' ancient Phantoms first to prove the kopitiam engineering theories!

Today (20 Dec 2010):

I had a nice 1 vs 1 technical session with @drifting_mp3 in Bedok where we got the chance to make use of the "used motorcycle inspection checklist" I wrote during lunchtime today. Restored optimal performance of this old Phantom in a matter of minutes, DIYed some basic repairs and a referral to Planet Motors for the more delicate bits (part of risk management - not confident, don't fix!).

http://172.31.254.244/farm6.static.flickr.com/5129/5276685362_edb1917735_b.jpg

We also had a chance to do a practical on dealing with aggressive drivers (actual ones) using defensive riding and situational awareness skills.

20122010(016).jpg

Edited by Pandora's Kitten :3

hi kitten,

i now more comfortable with my ride as i start to have better understanding of my bike, but still i hate the current attitude of many drivers on e-way especially the bulky vehicle, like bus and lorry, these idiots always on lane2 obstructing my view ahead and the traffic flow on lane1 is fast and heavy which make me unable to overtake.

hence, most of the time, i am like stucked behind those bus or lorry, hesitating my decision to overtake on the right or left because i cannot appreciate the traffic situtation ahead.

@vvss - kudos to you for picking the safe option to try and wait for a safe passing opportunity. However on 3 lane E-ways the goods vehicles usually take up 2 lanes leaving the fast lane with a hazardous speed difference.

In such cases I will indeed keep my cool and try to siam those aggressive lane-cutters if they ever appear. Defensive riding is useful, all round situational awareness even more crucial. Anyways so long as the traffic is moving at a reasonable pace I do not mind teaming up with a smaller goods vehicle to make my life easier until the e-way opens up to a 4-5 lane section. It's up to you to find a technique to either weave past lanesplitting or aim to decisively overtake a few vehicles at a time (like the attack submarine tactic sprint & drift). I prefer waiting for an overtake opportunity like you do, because it minimises risk and I can get good pick up at almost anytime.

My best defense against being 'gridlocked' is to try and plan ahead if possible to avoid these problem areas. And of course watch out when someone is coming in to your blind spot very closely! No one is immune to bad drivers, but if you see them, get out of their way and let them be somebody else's problem :)

• 2 weeks later...

great effort to plan so much. nice

Edited by Dafanshu

Class 2B: 11 May 2001 | Class 2A: 06 Oct 2009 | Class 2: 21 Dec 2010

Class 3 : 26 Sep 2003 | Forklift Licence: 06 Dec 2005

2001-2001 : Honda NSR SP 150

2002-2002 : Honda XR 200

2005-2005 : Honda Wave 125S

2006-2006 : Honda TA200

2008-2010 : Gilera VXR 200

2011-2014 : Honda Cbr 600

2014-Current: Yamaha FZ1S