SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] DRZ 400 SM

biting_point
Go to solution Solved by exygon,

yea, first post from me in 2011, Happy New Year cheers everyone :D

Yamaha RXZ, Kawasaki ZX KR150, Yamaha Spark135, Honda CB400 REVO NC42, Suzuki DRZ400SMK8, Aprilia RS125, Suzuki GSXR600K9, Honda RS150R

Click on the bike models for Information/Servicing/Maintenance on Kawasaki KR150, Honda CB400 Revo, Suzuki DRZ400SM and Suzuki GSXR

Facebook HONDA CB400 REVO

Can't post a new thread ?? Read HERE

SBF Garage Sales Act ---> Read HERE

INFORMATION/MAINTENANCE OF SUZUKI DR-Z400SM

Engine 4-stroke, DOHC

Bore x Stroke 3.54 x 2.46 in. (90 x 62.6 mm)

Compression Ratio 11.3:1

Fuel System Mikuni BSR36, single

Cooling Liquid

Ignition Electronic, CDI

Lubrication Dry sump

DIMENSIONS

Length 87.6 in. (2,225 mm)

Width 33.7 in. (855 mm)

Height 47.2 in. (1,200 mm)

Weight 321 lbs. (146 kg)

Ground Clearance 10.2 in. (260 mm)

Wheelbase 57.5 in. (1,460 mm)

Fuel Capacity 10 litres including reserve

Seat Height 35 in. (890 mm)

Transmission 5-speed constant mesh

Final Drive RK520KZO, 110 links

Suspension Front: Inverted telescopic, coil spring, oil damped

Rear: Link type, coil spring, oil damped

Brakes Front & Rear: Disc

Tires Front: 120/70 R17 M/C 58H tube type

Rear: 140/70 R17 M/C 66H tube type

The Suzuki DR-Z400 is a dual purpose motorcycle. It is powered by a single-cylinder, 398 cc four-stroke engine. Its reliability, low price and decent performance have made it a popular dual-sport choice around the world.

Mix in street-legal capabilities and unmatched handling. For exceptional performance on the street, the DR-Z400SM offers remarkably smooth performance, along with a rush of torque across the powerband. For crisp handling, it features a lightweight, compact design, complemented by advanced suspension front and rear, including an RM250-derived inverted fork

The Suzuki DR-Z400SM is an excellent bike for beginners / commuters - cheap to run and maintain, easy to drive in town

(The above is extracted from sources from the internet)

Can go to thumpertalk.com or supermoto.sg for more related information, deals and tips

What is neccessary to be done or fixed on a stock DRZ400SM:

MCCT- Manual Cam Chain Tensioner where u can manually adjust the cam chain instead of the OEM ACCT (Automatic cam chain tensioner)

Factory automatic adjusters can back out when the throttle is suddenly closed at higher rpms.

This allows the cams to momentarily go out of time and can result in bent valves and/or serious engine damage!

Hydraulic tensioners have a tendency to put too much tension on the chain guide under high rpm/high oil pressure conditions, resulting in premature cam chain wear.

Installation of a Manual Cam Chain Tensioner will allow you to maintain the proper, constant cam chain tension necessary for reliable hi-performance riding and it will not backout.

PAIR System- If u have a aftermarket exhaust fixed, best to remove the PAIR system, or else will cause popping and unsteady deceleration, removing it won't give more power, may give a little better response and will give better smoothness.

Stainless Steel Brake Hose- Enhance braking feel.

Rubber hoses or mild steel fittings are cheap but we all know how rubber hose bulges under pressure, allows brake fluid to absorb water vapour from the atmosphere and that mild steel fittings rust.

BRAKING Disc- More friction coefficient, Better resistance to the heat, More initial braking power, More feeling on the lever, Better handling, Less weight, Thicker than stock disc.

UNABIKER Radiator Guard- Provide awesome side impact protection and help prevent radiator fold-back during a crash.

Axle Sliders- Protects front fork and rear swing-arm.

SME Rear Axle Slider Block- Additional protection with concurrence with the axle sliders, protects swing-arm, rear disc, sprocket.

ThumperTalk Skid Plate- Extra protection specially if for off-road purposes.

3X3 Air Box Mod- De-restrict the air flow and better performance with an aftermarket Air Filter. Remember to re-jet the stock carburetor to match the A/F ratio.

CFC Case Shields- Extra protection for Ignition and clutch covers.

The stock magnesium DRZ engine cases are both thin and brittle.

As a result, they are very vulnerable to damage (cracks & impact punctures) from the bike's shift/brake lever and rocks when the bike falls.

Handguards- Prevent clutch and brake levers from breakage/bent during a drop or crash.

Exhaust Slider- APA Muffler Slider is made from a specially formulated thick, tough, plastic material that resists wear and helps protect your muffler in the event of a crash, much like a frame slider does.

The slider clamps on securely and the material has built in lubrication molecules that let them slide and not grip the pavement like a soft piece of rubber would.

Road Racers are enjoying the benefits of Muffler Slider protection when they fall off. It can not easily slide off.

Remove the kickstand safety switch. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

If the kickstand is down the bike will not start.

On jumps and bumps the kickstand will bounce around momentarily killing your engine.

Thus I remove kickstand sensor.

Remove the clutch safety switch. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

If the clutch isn't pulled in, it will not start.

This just one more electronic switch to break from nowhere, so I remove this safety device.

What I have done on my Suzuki DRZ400SM:(DO THESE AT YOUR OWN RISK)

PERFORMANCE

- Leo Vince Endcan

- Arrow Header

- Racewerk Hard Break In

- Clutch safety switch removed

- Side-stand safety switch removed

- Pair System removed

- Helmet Lock removed

- 3X3 Air Box Mod with mesh removed

- K&N Air Filter

- Re-jetted Mikuni BSR36 carb

- MCCT

PROTECTIONS

- Lightspeed carbon parts(Frame Guard, Front sprocket cover)

- Motivation Slider (Front & Rear)

- CFC Case Shields

- UNABIKER Radiator Guard

- Radiator Mesh

- APA Exhaust Slider

- SME Rear Axle Slider Block

- Motivation Bar-end Sliders

- ThumperTalk Skid Plate

ACCESSORIES

- EASTON 35mm Handlerbar with Clamp & Hardware

- HEL Brake Hose (Front & Rear)

- BRAKING Brake Pads

- BRAKING 320mm SK Front Disc

- BRAKING OEM Caliper Bracket for 320mm Disc

- BRAKING Rear Disc

- DRC Edge-2 LED Tail Light

- DRC Signal Light

- Acerbis Front Fender

- Blue Tinted Mirror

- R1 Throttle Tube

- PLaylife Grips

- ZETA Engine Oil Dipstick

- Zeta Unbreakable Clutch & Brake Lever

- Sunline Gear Shifter

- Supersporx Sprocket

- DID X-ring chain

- Pirelli DIABLO tires

- Juzzwheel Customised Decal

- Osram Nightbreaker H4 Headlight Bulb

- Rim sticker

- Lizard Skin

- New Slim IU unit

SERVICING

- NGK Iridium Spark Plug CR8-EIX

- Motul 300V Factoryline 4T Engine Oil

- OWS 3 in 1 Treatment

- Radiator & Coolant Reserve using Engine ICE

- Special Fuel Additives Used

- Latest Fuel Consumption: 25 km/L

Bike Servicing/Maintenance

Basic servicing like service carburetor every 6 months and yearly servicing can keep the bike in good running condition.

Engine Oil: Semi-syn change every 2000km

Fully-syn change every 4000km

(Can + up to 1000km for fully/semi syn)

Oil Filter: Change every 2-3 EO change

Air Filter: Service once a year or every 20,000km

Coolant: Flush at least once a year

Brake Hose: Bleed every 14-18 months

Fork Oil: Change every 2 years or 20000km

Change spark plug when faulty, spark plug can last at least 10000km.

Change chain and sprocket at least once a year, can last more than a year if u clean and lube your chain periodically.

Other basic maintenance can be done periodically.

Please do not quote me or argue about my servicing intervals.

You might have different servicing intervals due to different riding conditions, different riding techiques or track racing.

This is a just a guide for newbies.

Yamaha RXZ, Kawasaki ZX KR150, Yamaha Spark135, Honda CB400 REVO NC42, Suzuki DRZ400SMK8, Aprilia RS125, Suzuki GSXR600K9, Honda RS150R

Click on the bike models for Information/Servicing/Maintenance on Kawasaki KR150, Honda CB400 Revo, Suzuki DRZ400SM and Suzuki GSXR

Hey guys!

Anyone know where and rough damage to get the KTM headlight and fender, wanna change for my drz.

And where is a good place to look for levers and handguards?

Please bear with me! Im super new to motards and just switched over from sportsbikes. :D

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/danielsin2/800_3108.jpg

visit ah seng at mayo st, biketech 21 at dunlop st, chong aik at desker rd, unique motorsports check it out.

can see motorworld n ideal motor at kaki bukit too :D

Guys any idea where i could send my full delta to get back its showroom shine?

My Elbow grease wif brasso and other metal polish solution aint bringing the metallic/chrome bling back... =(

Also, jus wanna know any one using an arrow header wif delta end. Is it good to mix and match ur flow system?

Any comments?

Thanks guys...

It�s always, "Which tyre is good on WET?" Why not ask, "Which road is good when WET?"

"My Ride, My Pride"

Guys any idea where i could send my full delta to get back its showroom shine?...

maybe seng kwang can do it

Hey guys, where is the best shop that does all these MCCT, 3x3 air box mod etc? And where is the best shop for accessories? thanks

unique motor, ah piow at TPY, ah seng mayo st, Abboy kallang bahru

accessories: ah seng at mayo st, biketech 21 at dunlop st, chong aik at desker rd, unique motorsports, motorworld n ideal motor at kaki bukit too

visit ah seng at mayo st, biketech 21 at dunlop st, chong aik at desker rd, unique motorsports check it out.

can see motorworld n ideal motor at kaki bukit too :D

Thanks dude!

Ill go hop around this weekend and have a look!

Anyway, anyone letting go their KTM headlight and fender? :D

IMO, stay stock on your headlights to prevent your wires from haywiring..

decorate it with stickers instead..

I've mod so many things on my bike, the headlight is still stock..

if you insisted, I may have a friend that maybe selling his KTM headlight 09 in black soon..

IMO, stay stock on your headlights to prevent your wires from haywiring..

decorate it with stickers instead..

I've mod so many things on my bike, the headlight is still stock..

if you insisted, I may have a friend that maybe selling his KTM headlight 09 in black soon..

Hmm, by saying haywiring you mean messy? or the electrical circuit gets screwed?

How much roughly is he asking to let it go? :D

Hmm, by saying haywiring you mean messy? or the electrical circuit gets screwed?

How much roughly is he asking to let it go? :D

i used to have the KTM headlight on mine before. it seems that when you fix the KTM headlight, it is required to cut the wires to fit the connector head of KTM and if not done properly, could have chance of short circuit, loose connection etc etc.......i chged mine back to the original which i find it looks better, to me.

"when you open your mind to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth........" - Walter Bishop

thumb-yamaha-semakin-di-depan.jpg

Hi guys.. besides H&B top box, what other boxes is more suitable for our DRZ?

coocase, shad?

I used to use kappa k35. For me ots jus nice. Not too big n not too small. Just nice to fit my motard helmet n mesh armour jacket.

"when you open your mind to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth........" - Walter Bishop

I used to use kappa k35. For me ots jus nice. Not too big n not too small. Just nice to fit my motard helmet n mesh armour jacket.

Thanks dude.. Anyone got any idea on shad( sh40) or coocase( 36 liters). Wanna put a motard helm and raincoat

Thanks dude.. Anyone got any idea on shad( sh40) or coocase( 36 liters). Wanna put a motard helm and raincoat

Shldnt be any prob dude. If my 35 litres can fit, ur 36 or 40 shldnt b ay prob..

For those who upgraded their front brakes to the QTM package from a local dealer ie, oversized 320mm Braking rotor, Brembo 4 Pot caliper with the QTM caliper relocator... please check to make sure your rotor is engraved with "STX55D" on it.

If not you have been using a OEM replacement 310mm Braking rotor which gives you lesser braking power than your stock Nissin caliper due to rotor surface area that is in contact with the brake pads.

In short... you might have been shortchanged... you paid for a 320mm rotor but they give you a 310mm rotor which is much cheaper.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o104/angelo_neo/IMG_1208-1.jpg

FAA licenced motorcycle mechanic :angel:

Add me: http://www.facebook.com/raptormotorsports

now i know why ppl calling me to ask abt the brake rotor issues..

I believe it's a misunderstanding from the bike shop..

not many ppl know abt the difference btw the 2 types of rotors (310mm VS 320mm)

now there's STX (bi-directions) and SK (uni-direction) 320mm rotor for DRZ..

SK is the newer version..

hi Bro, side track a bit,

I need some advice from you, is it very normal to have loud "tuck" sound when you engaged first gear for DRZ?

LC 125 - 1993

LC 125 - 1995

Aprilla RS 125 - 1998

Honda Civic EG9 - 1999

Mitsubishi Lancer CK4 - 2001

Nissan Sunny B14 - 2001

Nissan Primera - 2002

Nissan Sunny N16 - 2003

Nissan Sunny N16 - 2007

Honda Civic FD & DRZ 400 SM:thumb:

I need some advice from you, is it very normal to have loud "tuck" sound when you engaged first gear for DRZ?

I think is normal for all 400cc bike....mine also the same......:)

Class 2B - 23 Sep 2008

Class 2A - 10 Nov 2009 Suzuki DRZSMK6 (DEC 09 - MAR 12)

Class 2 - 01 Feb 2011 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S (Mar 12 - Jan 16), Ducati Hypermotard 821 (Jan 16)

Class 3 - 06 Nov 1998

Class 4 - 25 Feb 1999

Class 5 - 16 Dec 2008

now i know why ppl calling me to ask abt the brake rotor issues..

I believe it's a misunderstanding from the bike shop..

not many ppl know abt the difference btw the 2 types of rotors (310mm VS 320mm)

now there's STX (bi-directions) and SK (uni-direction) 320mm rotor for DRZ..

SK is the newer version..

The issue here is about paying for a brake upgrade package which includes a 320mm oversized rotor but getting a 310mm rotor instead.

If you were the customer... would this be acceptable to you?

To put it crudely... its like paying for a Ferrari and getting a Toyota Vios instead.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o104/angelo_neo/IMG_1208-1.jpg

FAA licenced motorcycle mechanic :angel:

Add me: http://www.facebook.com/raptormotorsports

yes, normal, the bigger CC you go, the bigger tuck sound u'll have....

To put it crudely... its like paying for a Ferrari and getting a Toyota Vios instead.

wah bro, that's a major shortchanged sia......n bery obvious.....which shop is that?