SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Price is not an indication of safety, a reputable brand helmet that cost $800 does not mean it is much more safer than a cheap $40 motorcycle helmet.

I am sorry. I dont agree with you 200%. You are telling me a L.A.B open helmet is way better than a Arai full face helmet?

i have seen half-cap helmets with PSB stickers, while reputable brands like arai/shoei aren't approved by PSB but with DOT/Snell approval.

I don't think your comment is accurate.

Certain models from the big brands may not have PSB approval because the local agent did not apply and submit these models for PSB testing, and not because they are not approved by PSB.

I don't think your comment is accurate.

Certain models from the big brands may not have PSB approval because the local agent did not apply and submit these models for PSB testing, and not because they are not approved by PSB.

maybe thats the case. but what's the rational for sending DOT/snell approved helmets for PSB testings?

PSB testing is of a higher standard?

http://www.helpryans.com/images/banner1.gif
Stock is good...Choose your weapon wisely and enjoy it...you can have all the $$$$ to mod and in the end you can't make full use of it....

hello :) this r not my words. i cut n paste frm another webby. hehe... i prefer Snell or Dot approved helmet not PSB. i had my Arai FF helmet for 2 yrs without any summon issued by TP. anyway thumbs up for Snell or Dot approved helmet. they're the real deal.

Life is like a shooting star, it don't matter who you are,

If you only run for cover, it's just a waste of time.. :thumb:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s271/warriorconp/MyRide2.jpg

maybe thats the case. but what's the rational for sending DOT/snell approved helmets for PSB testings?

Singapore is not the only country that sets it's own safety standard for helmets and it's objective is purposeful as that give local riders a sense of confidence on those helmets that do not have SNELL endorsement but meets PSB testing standard.

Prior to May 2009, no flip-up helmets were tested by SNELL, so your safety net is PSB.

Being a very small, yet competitive market, we will miss out on some premium models as it does not make business sense for the local agents to submit such models for PSB testing.

With many fake ARAI FF helmets, the PSB sticker can double as an authenticity check especially when buying a used helmet.

End of the day, it is the rider's call. Do you feel safe riding around with a $600 helmet not from the local agent, and without a PSB sticker ?

PSB testing is of a higher standard?

DOT is the minimum standards for all helmets used in USA so it is no better or even inferior to PSB.

Singapore is not the only country that sets it's own safety standard for helmets and it's objective is purposeful as that give local riders a sense of confidence on those helmets that do not have SNELL endorsement but meets PSB testing standard.

Prior to May 2009, no flip-up helmets were tested by SNELL, so your safety net is PSB.

Being a very small, yet competitive market, we will miss out on some premium models as it does not make business sense for the local agents to submit such models for PSB testing.

With many fake ARAI FF helmets, the PSB sticker can double as an authenticity check especially when buying a used helmet.

End of the day, it is the rider's call. Do you feel safe riding around with a $600 helmet not from the local agent, and without a PSB sticker ?

because of that sticker and given a false sense of confidence.. that's very risky don't you think?

flip-ups weren't approved by SNELL previously because it failed the test because of the chin-bars, which they now have derieved a new standard for flip-ups.

safety net in the form of PSB testing? a cheapo 20bucks SUMO/LAB helmet already have the PSB sticker, what form of safety net that is?

i feel safer wearing a helmet that covers my head with or w/o the PSB stickers, so long it is SNELL/DOT approved.

DOT is the minimum standards for all helmets used in USA so it is no better or even inferior to PSB.

but at least DOT standards are recognised widely, compared to PSB which are recognised only in SINGAPORE. :sian:

http://www.helpryans.com/images/banner1.gif
Stock is good...Choose your weapon wisely and enjoy it...you can have all the $$$$ to mod and in the end you can't make full use of it....

always been sticking to Shoei since the day a friend related to me how her head was not crushed when a taxi rolled over her Shoei plus my own experience 3 years ago....

On a separate note if i am not wrong, CL is actually run by 4 brothers and there are a pair of twins in there, so dun get confused.. lolx

anyway, i miss wildcard.

just one of his insensate followers...

PSB is jus an excuse for the government to make money. Why Arai dont have PSB? In order to have PSB, the local agent must submit afew of that helmets from those batch for PSB testing and they will technically destroy those helmets. Local agent must pay a sum of money + sacrifice helmets for them to test. Lol so most of the expensive helmets is not worth to get the PSB done. :p

===============

ZX-150" OCT '07 - FEB '09

SPEC III" FEB '09 - APR '11

GSXR-750" APR '11 - DEC '11

FZ6S2" JAN 12 - JULY '12

FZ1N" JULY 12 - MAR '15

MONSTER 796" MAR '15 - ???

===============

will a 35 dollar helmet save our head better or arai with dot certificate.

Why do so many riders have this impression ?

The tests carried out by Snell, PSB or whoever are common regardless of the brand, model, price of the helmet. So if a helmet passed the test, it means that it has met the safety standards regardless it cost $35 or $3500.

As for DOT standard, manufacturers are not required to send their helmets to NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) for testing because DOT is based on manufacturers' self-certification. Simply it means that anyone can put a DOT sticker on their helmet even if the helmets do not meet any of the DOT standards especially if the helmets are sold outside of USA.

PSB is jus an excuse for the government to make money. Why Arai dont have PSB? In order to have PSB, the local agent must submit afew of that helmets from those batch for PSB testing and they will technically destroy those helmets. Local agent must pay a sum of money + sacrifice helmets for them to test. Lol so most of the expensive helmets is not worth to get the PSB done. :p

thats correct. government agencies are like that, no cert no go.

look at the hundreds of dangerous kuku riders out there.

they got their licence didnt they?

and yet they cant ride properly but are allowed on the roads.

muayhaha

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4128/demimoore2fi.jpg

hi guys, just want to share my experience over at chiap lee just now.. i wanted to buy a helmet from there. i brought my money.. the helmet is selling for $580. but everyone in the forums said they bought at $550. and i dont mind the $30 defference, seriously. because i really wanted to have a arai ram 3 since the day i passed my bike. but both the salesperson was really 'bo chap'. no one attend to me at first. until i ask the price of the helmet. the spectacle guy and 1 old guy was in charge of the shop.. the uncle was literally shouting at me, 'what you want'. and the specky guy dont even bother to get up from his seat in front of his computer.

i just get out of his shop and just ride away. sorry, this is not to ruin the shop's reputation..i heard some of the guys in this forum saying that chiap lee gives exellent service and stuffs. but to me, they really dont care about their customers unless they ride those expensive bikes and wears expensive gears..

just my 2cents opinion.:cool:

paiseh, i will let them know.

my understanding is that they dont mean it.

this old employees hv been with chiaplee for 20-30yrs so the style is very 1970s.

a bit of shouting here and there.

the one opposite lab, the uncle give superrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr succcccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy service. word

i also have the same service from you. "what u want, don't have, don't know, don't buy lor"

but last time the service was good.... now....hai~~~

no matter how big or how ex ur bike, still the same...

ok if i get such attitude from him, i promise you i will give him a piece of my mind

i never have any problems at chiap lee, ever.

why?

becos i know the big Boss for over 30 yrs.

the big boss is their father, a generous man. he handed over the business over to the sons years ago. Mind you, the rude ones are the sons (uncle) not the employees so good luck in passing the msg :p .... they are overly supicious and never understand what is customer service.

anyway, i miss wildcard.

just one of his insensate followers...

Yes very generous man.

He handed biz to eldest, second and third sons more than 25 yrs ago.

Then finally handed another shop over to the two youngest sons who are actually twins.

Anyway, if it's the sons who are rude, then i cant say much, it's their family business.

No point in me teaching them how to conduct their business.

Consumers have the right to choose who to go to.

I havent been to visit the Old Boss for quite a while already.

Maybe i should go to his house this weekend and say hello if i have time.

Its individual i believe..

we dun have to ride at 200kph..

what if we were to ride at road speed limit and other road user ride/drive at 200kph and crash into us?

Those Who Don't Know Pain

Can Never Know True Peace

• 5 years later...

really bad service at Chiap Lee! Went to check out Arai Ram 4... ask to try but was told "u confirm buying then can try". I replied don't try how I know it suits me, he said no trying for all Arai helmets.

Went to Chong Aik, got great service fm them. Bought a Shoei instead.

Blardy Chiap Lee! very angry that they give Arai a bad name. I hope those who receive bad service fm them shud boycott them also.

• 3 weeks later...

Have patronize CL for 2 decades and never had problem with their service :cheeky:

1991-Katana125 1992-GN125 1993-Terminator250 1995-Intruder400 1996-ZX-7RRP1 & Charade1L 1996-Vulcan800 1998-Accent1.5L 2001-CorollaXLI 2002-TDM900 2005-Phamton150 2006-FJR1300 2007-KLE500 & WRX JDM 2010-Spark135 & Legacy GT 2012-Focus SW & Sylphy 2015-V Strom 650XT & D Tracker, 2016-Cross Country & RS4 125, 2017-Moto Guzzi V7ii Stone