SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Safety officer

ET

my advise to u is to finish your level b. work in safety line for a few years before u decide to further your study.. try taking tower crane course...i heard that earning five figure per month better than safety

boy boy ah,

ppl is passionate about a switch to safety career and you advise him to take tower crane course. liddat oso can :faint:

regards,

cstay66

hp 9459 5300

read my love-hate relationship with my wee.

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2305336&postcount=35

1987-kawasaki gto 110, 1990-honda rebel 250, 2004-suzuki vstrom dl650, 2009-yamaha fjr 1300, 2011-kawasaki er6f

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i am advising that there is an easy job, less responsibilties, earning $10K per mth doing tower crane....unlike safety...u work like dog, do SMS, organse safety meeting, write minutes of meeting, ensure housekeeping, ensure safety, entertain gov bodies coming to site......earn only 3K

boy boy ah,

ppl is passionate about a switch to safety career and you advise him to take tower crane course. liddat oso can :faint:

boy boy ah,

you call tower crane job an easy job, less responsibilities?? i think rocksteady will have something to say about that.

wat's wrong with doing safety and making 3k a month? must we be paid million dollars like our ministers to show how important are the things we do and who we are?

if your train of thot is along this line, you might be right.

but look at how screw up our garmen is by planting that thot in your mind, we know that it's a curse to be paid by that manner.

the value of our work and passion can never be measured by the dollars and cents we were compensated. i am a strong advocate for fair wage, not minimum wage.

if you are looking for big money, choose pap.

i am advising that there is an easy job, less responsibilties, earning $10K per mth doing tower crane....unlike safety...u work like dog, do SMS, organse safety meeting, write minutes of meeting, ensure housekeeping, ensure safety, entertain gov bodies coming to site......earn only 3K

regards,

cstay66

hp 9459 5300

1987-kawasaki gto 110, 1990-honda rebel 250, 2004-suzuki vstrom dl650, 2009-yamaha fjr 1300, 2011-kawasaki er6f

boy boy ah,

you call tower crane job an easy job, less responsibilities?? i think rocksteady will have something to say about that.

wat's wrong with doing safety and making 3k a month? must we be paid million dollars like our ministers to show how important are the things we do and who we are?

but look at how screw up our garmen is by planting that thot in your mind, we know that it's a curse to be paid by that manner.

the value of our work and passion can never be measured by the dollars and cents we were compensated. i am a strong advocate for fair wage, not minimum wage.

regards,

cstay66

hp 9459 5300

who call who mad dogs?

I just wanna say that it's not nice to label them as mad dogs.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

regards,

cstay66

hp 9459 5300

tower crane easy job and earn more money....safety job more headache cos u will have to prepare for audit check on your iso14000, then go site check safety......let me tell you a real problem on site nowday.....let assume you have a safety supervisor under your charge to assist you in your safety measure on site....do you think your safety supervisor will only do safety job only....if so dont dream...cos your safety supervisor will do those job request from Project manager first...safety job only when safety supervisor have the free time....so in the end if your site have many open side without barricade then u have to ans if MOM come and fine you.......so why take 3K job and work like dog....compare to tower crane earn $10K easy without stress and go home sleep well

boy boy ah,

tower crane easy job and earn more money....safety job more headache cos u will have to prepare for audit check on your iso14000, then go site check safety......let me tell you a real problem on site nowday.....let assume you have a safety supervisor under your charge to assist you in your safety measure on site....do you think your safety supervisor will only do safety job only....if so dont dream...cos your safety supervisor will do those job request from Project manager first...safety job only when safety supervisor have the free time....so in the end if your site have many open side without barricade then u have to ans if MOM come and fine you.......so why take 3K job and work like dog....compare to tower crane earn $10K easy without stress and go home sleep well

That's wad not a safety job all about...maybe its from your point of view based on what you see at site...Safety is very diversify..anyway, this thread is about people whom wans to know more about safety and whats the prospect and the expectation from it...maybe you wan to open a new thread about working in tower crane? you can promote more about it for those people interested in that line too!!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/nebulaz/KTM-Pink-1.jpg

HUA Hua hua....WADEVER..AR you STOOPID OR WAD? HUA hua hua version 2.....

Sorry, I mean its not nice of him to say safety personnel work like dog

it's not wrong that we singaporeans are labelled as dog.

even our mp requested that we should reflect on it and eat our pride.

we are indeed too obedient a nation and a people.

whatever the garmen said, we did exactly the same.

we may bark at it at times, but most of the time we bark the wrong tree.

in order to get out of this mess, we need put at least 30 dogs in the parliament when the next election comes.

may the lion roars and the dog barks louder. :cool:

regards,

cstay66

hp 9459 5300

sorry to hear about your condition.

may be you would like to seek advice from rocksteady how to become a tower crane operator.

may you find happiness in whatever you do.

regards,

cstay66

hp 9459 5300

my advise to all ppl thinking of doing safety to think twice cos there is no prospect from safety.....let me tell u another real situation safety officer facing in today market.....do you know why job ads keep on advertising for safety officer cos the turnover rate is very high....many safety officer ask to leave or force to resign cos they cant perform on site for example MOM come issue a fine on non conformance on your site, your boss ask you why kena fine...u tell your boss i dont have worker to do safety measure on site...your boss expect you do it yourself means that you are the only safety worker to put up barricade on open side so if u dont do it of course axe u loh...so safety officer job not stable keep on job hopping many company....

That's wad not a safety job all about...maybe its from your point of view based on what you see at site...Safety is very diversify..anyway, this thread is about people whom wans to know more about safety and whats the prospect and the expectation from it...maybe you wan to open a new thread about working in tower crane? you can promote more about it for those people interested in that line too!!

My advise to you after you finish your level b just dont go level c...cos many of ppl have level c (cert) and then apply fail to get Register Safety officer licence cos nowsday MOM panel interview very hard asking you many many questions from 8 interviewer for an hour , so many ppl have level c certification but doing safety co-ordinator job...why waste time taking level c where you fail to get register safety officer?

Tower crane cert better cos you pass the course and get automatically register tower crane licence without going through MOM panel interview.

I'm on my 3rd module for level b =)

it not worth to be Safety officer i have a few friends working Safety officer but resign or force to resign cos the Project manager act like ya ya pa pa ya means Project manager always shouting at safety officer for any safe area on site but never provide u any worker to do safety......so all my friend who have safety officer license are driving taxi..cos they say driving taxi more freedom (earning $4K) and can earn more than safety officer.....and many of them have safety officer license but dont want to renew it cos they change career to taxi loh....

sorry to hear about your condition.

may be you would like to seek advice from rocksteady how to become a tower crane operator.

may you find happiness in whatever you do.

yah, i nearly became a taxi driver during one stage of my safety career. but i did not, i broke away from it and be an insurance agent for 1.5 years instead. cos the market was really bad for safety officer.

but i return later to safety profession when things picked up. insurance line was a good line but it was in 2003 when the iraq war broke out and sars lasted for 5 months. i can't meet up with potential clients to sign on the dotted line and didn't collect my commission for that 5 months. but the good work that i have clocked in in the last one year still provided me for about 1.5k a month. too bad, my monthly expenses was too high for me to hang on. i broke away from insurance eventually. it's a pity and a shame. i should have started insurance when i was in school instead of spending my time catching spiders.

now i am back on in safety line again. who can tell if i will last or the economy will out last me?

i am glad that i am employed and enjoying my time as a safety guy.

it's never a shame to quit. cos our lives is full of up and down.

may you find peace and joy in whatever you do.:cheeky:

it not worth to be Safety officer i have a few friends working Safety officer but resign or force to resign cos the Project manager act like ya ya pa pa ya means Project manager always shouting at safety officer for any safe area on site but never provide u any worker to do safety......so all my friend who have safety officer license are driving taxi..cos they say driving taxi more freedom (earning $4K) and can earn more than safety officer.....and many of them have safety officer license but dont want to renew it cos they change career to taxi loh....

regards,

cstay66

hp 9459 5300

Sorry to sound offensive bro..

There are always yayapapaya PMs, shouting at the whole world. Are you telling my sub-con bosses to resign as bosses of companies because of RI/TOP my PMs/Directors shouting and screwing their whole family? Mind you, they are not small companies bosses.

If the PM fail to provide safety workers, then obtain it from other means. You're not gonna sit there and cry because no workers right?

Fear not, you're not the only one that have to hands on. I've hands on putting up barricades, join ECM pipings, covering up openings, painting notice boards, washing dirty truck tyres, etc. I could have waited for manpower but I chose to get the job done there and then, before foreseeable consequences happens.

Quote you another scenario, if you see poor housekeeping, while conducting inspection; that will cause tripping hazards, are you going to wait for workers to come and take away few pieces of 4x2 timber? Or can you put on your gloves and carry them aside? Waiting can take up to 30 minutes. Taking them aside may just take you 1 minute + burn off some calories.

As for taxi driving, you're so sure won't get scolding and/or complaints from customers?

And are you so sure all WSHOs are earning less than $4k? There are taxi drivers that take home $7k. There are also WSHOs that are taking home $7k. But both kinds are rare and I'm fairly sure they are working their asses off, day in-day out. Have you seen taxi drivers involved in road traffic accidents due to fatique?

On the topic of TC operators, of course good money. But have you spoken to TCOs that have to clock crazy amount of OT just to take that amount home? Have you seen those big grown man weeping, because they have not communicated with their kids for months? Have you seen the families of TCO who had fallen from height/crashed their TC due to fatique?

Conclusion:

To each his own, don't force your mindset into others' mind.

Just give due advice on what you're absolutely sure of. Unless you want that fella to come back to you 5 years later and blame you for "helping" him make the wrong choice.

PS:

This also reminds me of Bryan Wong/Mark Lee's tagline from Behind Every Job (美差事, 苦差事), "what are the joys and sorrows of your occupation?"

You've said the sorrows, while my joy is seeing everyone going home safely. What's your's?

SafeSG.com - Bringing WSH Professionals Together

my advise to all ppl thinking of doing safety to think twice cos there is no prospect from safety.....let me tell u another real situation safety officer facing in today market.....do you know why job ads keep on advertising for safety officer cos the turnover rate is very high....many safety officer ask to leave or force to resign cos they cant perform on site for example MOM come issue a fine on non conformance on your site, your boss ask you why kena fine...u tell your boss i dont have worker to do safety measure on site...your boss expect you do it yourself means that you are the only safety worker to put up barricade on open side so if u dont do it of course axe u loh...so safety officer job not stable keep on job hopping many company....

my 2 cents is unless you urself have worked as a safety professional and gone thru most of the werk itself, then all ya comments may be valid...but if you are not even part of the safety committee or involved in safety in ya company, i have nuthing to say....cheers!

cool down guys.

there are always ppl who see difficulties rather than opportunities in life, at times.

wat goodboy88 trying to do is to portray the negative perspective of safety career.

nothing wrong with that though we hope that he could be more balance in his view.

did i share with you how my lawyer and doctor friends who gave up their practice?

well, the more important thing is that they are happy ever after.

regards,

cstay66

hp 9459 5300

let me tell u a real life example. have u ever see or encounter worker jumping from 20 storey building to another building...then your PM dont support you to impose a fine on the worker who put his life at risk.....or.... if your PM smoking on site whereas you tell your worker no smoking on site.....

cool down guys.

there are always ppl who see difficulties rather than opportunities in life, at times.

wat goodboy88 trying to do is to portray the negative perspective of safety career.

nothing wrong with that though we hope that he could be more balance in his view.

did i share with you how my lawyer and doctor friends who gave up their practice?

well, the more important thing is that they are happy ever after.

bro

let assume that there is 100 opening side of each lift landing which required barricade...dont tell me you one person can put up all barricade....your ya ya pa pa ya PM will shout at you WHY NO BARRICADE ON LIFT LANDING OPENING...and he dont provide u worker to put up barricade...how do u feel?

Sorry to sound offensive bro..

There are always yayapapaya PMs, shouting at the whole world. Are you telling my sub-con bosses to resign as bosses of companies because of RI/TOP my PMs/Directors shouting and screwing their whole family? Mind you, they are not small companies bosses.

If the PM fail to provide safety workers, then obtain it from other means. You're not gonna sit there and cry because no workers right?

Fear not, you're not the only one that have to hands on. I've hands on putting up barricades, join ECM pipings, covering up openings, painting notice boards, washing dirty truck tyres, etc. I could have waited for manpower but I chose to get the job done there and then, before foreseeable consequences happens.

Quote you another scenario, if you see poor housekeeping, while conducting inspection; that will cause tripping hazards, are you going to wait for workers to come and take away few pieces of 4x2 timber? Or can you put on your gloves and carry them aside? Waiting can take up to 30 minutes. Taking them aside may just take you 1 minute + burn off some calories.

As for taxi driving, you're so sure won't get scolding and/or complaints from customers?

And are you so sure all WSHOs are earning less than $4k? There are taxi drivers that take home $7k. There are also WSHOs that are taking home $7k. But both kinds are rare and I'm fairly sure they are working their asses off, day in-day out. Have you seen taxi drivers involved in road traffic accidents due to fatique?

On the topic of TC operators, of course good money. But have you spoken to TCOs that have to clock crazy amount of OT just to take that amount home? Have you seen those big grown man weeping, because they have not communicated with their kids for months? Have you seen the families of TCO who had fallen from height/crashed their TC due to fatique?

Conclusion:

To each his own, don't force your mindset into others' mind.

Just give due advice on what you're absolutely sure of. Unless you want that fella to come back to you 5 years later and blame you for "helping" him make the wrong choice.

PS:

This also reminds me of Bryan Wong/Mark Lee's tagline from Behind Every Job (美差事, 苦差事), "what are the joys and sorrows of your occupation?"

You've said the sorrows, while my joy is seeing everyone going home safely. What's your's?

Chill, chill, gentlemen.

Let's not get too offensive at each other.

To Mr goodboy88,

Please cool down and listen to me calmly. I am not aiming at you or whatsoever. So please do not get too offended.

Since you have shared so many of your personal experiences, please allow me to share my humble experiences. I am working in a well-known USA MNC chemical import/export company, with a warehouse and a "synthetic DNA" manufacturing laboratory. I am taking care of the EHS matters for the company.

I used to think like you and feel frustrated like you, cos the company does not support me and does not give me the resources (reason being the sales figures this year are not good, no budget, etc...) to implement whatever EHS stuffs that I would like to implement. To the extend that sometimes, I feel so ashamed/pai seh to tell others that I am from a USA MNC where the Corporate Office in USA "claimed" to embrace EHS and put safety as their top priority.

I was feeling dispaired and frustrated like you.

But when I was speaking to my MD who came from India to take charge, he said this to me when I was talking to him in his office, "Meng Hwee, we do not wait for things to happen. We make things happen.". These were his exact his words to me which struck me very deeply and I will always remember them forever.

So like WarForGe said, sometimes, we just need to spend another few minutes to get things done, make things happen, rather than stand there and wait for things to happen.

You may say that, "You (seahmh) can say only, so easy. You all try to come to work in the construction industry where I am receiving all the sh*t and experience them for yourself lah."

I do agree that I may not be able to experience the sh*t and frustrations you have went thru, cos I have never been in the construction industry before.

But what I trying to say is that, yes, we can b*tch about it, yell it out, but at the end of the day, it is up to us to make things happen rather than wait for accident(s) to happen.

I hope you do not get offended with what I have said.

Peace.

Honda Phantom TA200, FV5349A (19/04/2005 - 28/06/2006)

Honda Super 4 Vtec 1, FS6537H (28/06/2006 - 13/02/2007)

Yamaha FJR1300 ABS, FBB661H (13/02/2007 - 31/05/2008)

Honda VFR800 ABS, FBB 404 J (31/05/2008 - 15/08/2009)

ADIVA AD 200, FBD 36 C (15/08/2009 - 13/05/2010, 1430hrs)

Yamaha FZ6N, FBA 7274 B (13/05/2010, 1430hrs - 03/05/2016, 1840hrs)

Yamaha FZ8, FBF 61*9 T (07/05/2016, 1130hrs - )

let me tell u a real life example. have u ever see or encounter worker jumping from 20 storey building to another building...then your PM dont support you to impose a fine on the worker who put his life at risk.....or.... if your PM smoking on site whereas you tell your worker no smoking on site.....

well , during my course of duty, I did see a few serious cases and even fatality after the injured succumb to his injuries while on the way to hospital....not a good feeling cause safety enforcement and system was tight but tings happened due to individual carelessness...wad u describe is what the safety guy is facing day in day out...and unless the management willing to take action and be responsible, things will not change....its a matter how good you present and convince the management to accept safety as a core value...

Actually, I see myself as a sales person.. selling safety.

I have to convince buyers to buy-in my products, convince them it is useful, etc.

As a matter of fact, I was in IT sales before joining construction industry.

I've tried selling products that are redundant, expensive and it (the product) has similar products out there that can be gotten for free.

Talk about shame, there was an experience that is deeply engraved in my memory.

I have to go through 4 days of IT-show (not my first show experience), repeating myself hundreds of times (literally), talk through microphone like an idiot to sell the said product.

There were many people who told me, it is useless piece of expensive sh*t. There were people who told me they can turn a normal $10 thumbdrive into what I sell for $99. There were people who are kind enough to listen to my 5mins of bullsh*t then thank me nicely and walk away.

For the entire 4 days, me and my poor 4 part timers have to endure to repetitive sales talk and scoldings from my boss. End of the show, we sold 3. Not even sufficient to pay my part timers, not to mention my salary and the booth rental. The following Monday, my boss sacked me for poor sales (at the same time I handed him my resignation letter too). Nasty things were said to me and I was on the verge of crying out.

I was thinking to myself, "hello dear boss, apart from the damn product, I've earned you more than $20k nett profit from other services I was in charged of within the last 1 month.. this is how you repay me.."

Thinking back, I was a bad sales person for that product. I didn't believed in that product from day 1. I didn't have the slightest confident that it will sell. I put in energy and effort to sell it but I forgotten to put in the most important thing, passion.

There are down time for me in my safety experience too. But if I want to do something, I do it with passion and pride. It doesn't matter if nobody appreciate it. It doesn't matter if papaya scold me for it. Take it with a pinch of salt and move on.

I've also f**ked my supervisors upside down before, for the slightest fault. The only difference is, I tend to find out the whole story and apologies to them when it's my fault for jumping the gun; because I've been in their shoe before. After that, a hand shake and kopi session, we're still brother brother.

SafeSG.com - Bringing WSH Professionals Together

I have been 6 years in construction but sad to say I have not seen any local safety officers, co-ordinators in all the company I worked for be it commercial or hdb projects.

Salary wise for safety personnel, newbie SCO working for consultant is abt $1.9k, SCO cum ECO abt $3.5k, SO abt $7k. N I liked the SO in my current company, done his job well but he is leaving the company too, n he said to me tat he will worked for another 5yrs before returning back to India.