SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Safety officer

ET

Hi cstay66.

Ive been following this thread since last june and find u v helpful towards everyone in this safety profession thread. And I hav some questions which I hope u could advice me too

I completed my lvl A cert last yr. Will be finishing my lvl b in May. Meanwhile I took the BCSS and bizsafe lvl 2 also. All along ive been working in the f&b line and tot of doing a switch into safety line. Which means I am like a fresh graduate looking for job. Thing is I will only b getting my lvl b in May. So is it appropriate for me to start looking and apply for safety coordinator jobs?? Most safety jobs requires exp needed. I know I dun hav it but more than willingly to give it a try and learn along.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi mike,

advice is cheap. some time free some more.

here is my worthless advice.

switching job needs guts. but you need opportunity oso.

we become karung guni man when the paper we chase brings no value.

your level b will enable you to work as a safety co-ordinator in construction.

so, unless you want to work in the construction, level b and bcss means nothing to you.

alternatively, you may go for level c which enables you to be registered as safety officer and you can choose to work with safety consultancy firm which in turn send you to work at various workplaces for experience and exposure.

i don't know how old and how earnest you are, but this should be the fastest way to switch to safety career.

anybody stopping you from applying for safety co-ordinator jobs? nay, singapore is a free country.

"is it appropriate..." - even if i am your father, i oso don't have the answer.

"most safety jobs requires exp...." - you have the answer. but i hope it does not stop you.

good luck.

regards,

cstay66

hp 9459 5300

read my love-hate relationship with my wee.

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2305336&postcount=35

1987-kawasaki gto 110, 1990-honda rebel 250, 2004-suzuki vstrom dl650, 2009-yamaha fjr 1300, 2011-kawasaki er6f

hi seah,

you flatter me lah.

in sinkapore, the older you get, the lower your value. the longer you work, the greater risk of being replaced.

when the younger ones are coming up stronger, and foreigners coming in cheaper, your future is bleak.

very sure that many of us will be on the reverse mortgage loan before we can fully pay up our hdb loan.

an ec cost 2 over million, a coe coming to 100k.

our gahmen working very hard to eliminate our future job of clearing tray.

no solution for our train breakdown amid high transport fare. (heard they want to increase somemore....tmd).

looking at the situation now and near, how not to be humble?

tissue paper 1 dollar, 1 dollar....tissue paper 1 dollar 1 dollar.....

Dear Sir,

I cannot agree with you more. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Somemore with some stupid idiot openly "supporting" that the transportation fees should be increased in order to improve services from the public transportation service providers, these so-called "public transportation service providers" bl00d-s*ckers will only be more daring to increase fares as much as they like (if they release press release this afternoon saying wef 0000hrs, tomorrow, every MRT trip is going to be increased by S$1 per station, we also LL and cannot boycott the trains, can we?), as and when they like, citing ONLY one reason -> Increase in operational costs.

Increase in operational costs??? Our problem??? Go tell your shareholders to take less bonuses and profits, then that will be able to cover your so-called "operational costs".

Ok, we shall not go too deep into politics here. Afterall, this is a thread on Safety Officers.

Honda Phantom TA200, FV5349A (19/04/2005 - 28/06/2006)

Honda Super 4 Vtec 1, FS6537H (28/06/2006 - 13/02/2007)

Yamaha FJR1300 ABS, FBB661H (13/02/2007 - 31/05/2008)

Honda VFR800 ABS, FBB 404 J (31/05/2008 - 15/08/2009)

ADIVA AD 200, FBD 36 C (15/08/2009 - 13/05/2010, 1430hrs)

Yamaha FZ6N, FBA 7274 B (13/05/2010, 1430hrs - 03/05/2016, 1840hrs)

Yamaha FZ8, FBF 61*9 T (07/05/2016, 1130hrs - )

hi mike,

advice is cheap. some time free some more.

here is my worthless advice.

switching job needs guts. but you need opportunity oso.

we become karung guni man when the paper we chase brings no value.

your level b will enable you to work as a safety co-ordinator in construction.

so, unless you want to work in the construction, level b and bcss means nothing to you.

alternatively, you may go for level c which enables you to be registered as safety officer and you can choose to work with safety consultancy firm which in turn send you to work at various workplaces for experience and exposure.

i don't know how old and how earnest you are, but this should be the fastest way to switch to safety career.

anybody stopping you from applying for safety co-ordinator jobs? nay, singapore is a free country.

"is it appropriate..." - even if i am your father, i oso don't have the answer.

"most safety jobs requires exp...." - you have the answer. but i hope it does not stop you.

good luck.

hi Mr tay,

tks for ur reply. im 31 this year and i believe its still not too late for me to start again.

yes, i plan to look for coordinator jobs in construction industry, meanwhile take my bridging and lvl c. thats y i told myself i need a platform to start of with, without it, its gonna b difficult for me to do my lvl c since i got no hands on experience.

its only right that jobs ads ask for exp for safety coordinators, cos if they state that no exp is needed it will be more weird right. nevertheless, i will try to find a coordinator job in construction to start off with. meanwhile doing my lvl c, hopefully by the time i finish my lvl c i hav abt 2 yrs exp in safety line. than mayb i shall decide which industry im gonna specialized in, like what u said consultation firm might be a gd place to get exposure. tks ya.i will keep ur piece of (worthless) advice in my heart.

Hi,

Im currently working as a process technician in oil and gas and hope to become some safety personnel in oil and gas industry. Are there any 8-5 safety coordinator jobs i can take while im doing the part time safety degree in SIM. I only have diploma in chemical and pharmaceutical technology cert. I have another 1.5 years to complete.

I worked as a process tech for half a year and wanted a switch because i find the shift work makes it hard to go for my classes. Can anyone advice me on this ?

I think we should have a whatsapp group. :cheeky:

hi apricon,

finding a job is tough.

finding an 8 to 5 job is even tougher.

finding an 8 to 5 job thru this forum is like hearing pap declares that every true blue singaporean will receive a one million dollar angpow for this coming cny. it will never happen.

wish you good luck in finding that 8 to 5 job.

Hi,

Im currently working as a process technician in oil and gas and hope to become some safety personnel in oil and gas industry. Are there any 8-5 safety coordinator jobs i can take while im doing the part time safety degree in SIM. I only have diploma in chemical and pharmaceutical technology cert. I have another 1.5 years to complete.

I worked as a process tech for half a year and wanted a switch because i find the shift work makes it hard to go for my classes. Can anyone advice me on this ?

I think we should have a whatsapp group. :cheeky:

regards,

cstay66

hp 9459 5300

1987-kawasaki gto 110, 1990-honda rebel 250, 2004-suzuki vstrom dl650, 2009-yamaha fjr 1300, 2011-kawasaki er6f

Hi Mike,

Taking the first step is the hardest. I remember 6 years ago, when I tried to step into WSH industry, it took me 1 odd year to land a job. I did not know what course to take, running around taking safety courses like a headless chicken.

After the big step into the industry, though having experience as a fire fighter, I had a slight culture shock. My first day is to walk into a demolition site. The first 3 years as a Safety Supervisor was tough. Salary was lesser than my subcon's Bangladesh safety Sup, I had nobody guiding me for anything and was expected to do lots of things besides safety. I had to fight for my rights, fight for control measures to be implemented, work long hours (beyond what's allowable in Employment Act) and often looked dirtier than a normal construction worker on MRT.

There were multiple occasions that I broke down and nearly gave up. The only thing that kept me going was the passion, the passion and promises I told myself when I was selected to step in as a safety sup.

I believe I've said this a couple of pages before, but I'll need to say this general statement (not aiming at you or anybody) again - If you're looking at the money, look elsewhere. There are better prospects in other industry. In this career change, you will not see money in short term. At the top of your career in this industry, you won't be rich, just enough to lead an ample, simple life. The only thing that may give you job satisfaction, is that you may have prevented tragic loss of lives, injuries and potential heartbreaks of many families. But then again, not many people will see that you've done a good job because our achievements are often not visible.

SafeSG.com - Bringing WSH Professionals Together

Hi WarForGe.

tks for taking the trouble to comment on my post. its indeed inspiring to read what u have gone thru.

I admit that initially I was indeed attracted by the remuneration package that safety line attracts, but after I started on my course since April last yr, heard some of the real life experiences and stories from the helpful trainers change my mindset towards me achieving my goals.

throughout the 9 mths that I've been in touch in the safety thingy, I started to reflect back on what has happened before to me, or to people around me. i remember more than a decade ago, when i was ard 12 yrs old, my mum was diagnosed with kidney failure and needed kidney dialysis thrice daily. Bcos of this reason my dad had to move bk to SG to work. With little qualifications my dad had, he could only find a job in a stainless steel company. throughout the yrs there he managed to get promoted to asst supervisor there than one day he had an accident while working. He was lifting half a roll of stainless steel sheets when suddenly the lanyard snapped and the metal fell on him. I still remember how my mum looked and reacted when she received the call. dad was hospitalized for 1 mth, MC for 2 mths. although insurance company paid for all bills and dad's company still pay his salary, but i realize that deep inside its the fear that my dad couldnt get bk to work again that worried my mum. well, yrs passed and my mum is no longer ard now, \but my dad still feels kind of pain whenever the weather is cold and age is also catching up with him.

i shared this story is not to get any emphathy or anything, but bcos after i learnt abt safety, i tot, if this accident could have been prevented?. Workers injury compensation might come into place also.. but than safety was indeed not so well-known to people before Govt push this WSHA in place in 2006.

To me, Ive wasted too many yrs of my youth and now i hope i could really be part of a team that helps pple ard. Im taking in abt les than 2k a mth(inclusive of part time wages) and im still happy with it. Wealth is not measured by how much u earn a mth, but how much u r able to save and accumalate every mth.

so to me, im getting more and more interested in this, and ur story does inspire me, especially that sentence 'The only thing that kept me going was the passion, the passion and promises I told myself when I was selected to step in as a safety sup.' im still new to this road of safety and i believe whith what u said, passion is what keeps u ging strong, especially the satisfaction u get when u hav prevented an accident...

tks again.... and i will bear ur advice in mind too... till then all the best ya.

to cstay66

my advise to you is that since you have been working in f&b line for so many years why you cant to switch to safety....safety job is not easy, moreover you have to work under hot sun, rain, muddy soil, site canteen like 3rd world and as compare to f&b the environment is better cos aircon, free food & drink

if you are fresh looking for safety job i think it is hard for you to find a safety job cos you need to compete with many foreigner with safety cert + site experience and they asking even lower salary....

if you intend to further your lvl c there is a lot of foreigner also taking it....you need to work for at least 2 years in safety line once you graduate from lvl c in order you can register for safety officer which is stated clearly in the WSH (safety officer) reg.....A lot of ppl just finish lvl C and apply register Safety officer were rejected by MOM till to lack of 2 year exp from time of grad of lvl c and many of them waste $110 (UNFUNDABLE).

Currently newly Register safety officer taking only $3K and the market is lower by the time you finish lvl c and you need to clock 2 year later then you can apply Register Safety officer.

Moreover safety job required you to work from 8am to 7pm six days (MON TO SAT) week with annual leave of only 7 days...so u compare other industry which have better benefit....

Edited by goodboy88

hi boy boy,

thanks for your posting.

trust your posting is more for those who are looking for a career switch to safety line.

i have done that long long ago.

i am glad i have made that switch.

and i believe that there is still benefits for those who wish to make that career change.

it's not easy though.

but hey, who says it's going to be easy?

they say: life is tough. i say: compare to what?

to cstay66

my advise to you is that since you have been working in f&b line for so many years why you cant to switch to safety....safety job is not easy, moreover you have to work under hot sun, rain, muddy soil, site canteen like 3rd world and as compare to f&b the environment is better cos aircon, free food & drink

if you are fresh looking for safety job i think it is hard for you to find a safety job cos you need to compete with many foreigner with safety cert + site experience and they asking even lower salary....

if you intend to further your lvl c there is a lot of foreigner also taking it....you need to work for at least 2 years in safety line once you graduate from lvl c in order you can register for safety officer which is stated clearly in the WSH (safety officer) reg.....A lot of ppl just finish lvl C and apply register Safety officer were rejected by MOM till to lack of 2 year exp from time of grad of lvl c and many of them waste $110 (UNFUNDABLE).

Currently newly Register safety officer taking only $3K and the market is lower by the time you finish lvl c and you need to clock 2 year later then you can apply Register Safety officer.

Moreover safety job required you to work from 8am to 7pm six days (MON TO SAT) week with annual leave of only 7 days...so u compare other industry which have better benefit....

regards,

cstay66

hp 9459 5300

Safety Officer $3k only, I rather stick to tower crane 1st

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

If you tink ya tower crane job is gd, so be it..its ur choice , ur destiny....no need to compare with safety jobs...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/nebulaz/KTM-Pink-1.jpg

HUA Hua hua....WADEVER..AR you STOOPID OR WAD? HUA hua hua version 2.....

Lucky wen I finished NS, I took up all the safety certs exclu SO, crane certs, I have better choices rather than stuck in one field

There are plenty of safety certs out dere but the one u need to be a safety professional is the one u might not have...

Safety is very diversify field that covers all industry... dun know if you can be stuck in one yet...all depends on your interest...like i said b4..please..just stick to your crane certs n leave this thread ...cheers

There are plenty of safety certs out dere but the one u need to be a safety professional is the one u might not have...

Safety is very diversify field that covers all industry... dun know if you can be stuck in one yet...all depends on your interest...like i said b4..please..just stick to your crane certs n leave this thread ...cheers

U sound professional with ur words but ur kinda snobbish to ask ppl to leave this thread, is this Nebulaz Safety Thread Pte Ltd?

U sound professional with ur words but ur kinda snobbish to ask ppl to leave this thread, is this Nebulaz Safety Thread Pte Ltd?

well, up to you to decide..you say wad you wanna say...wont play ya game anymore...if you wana contribute abt safety issues up to you..if you wana barge in here n bragging about your crane certs, up to you too...probably should change to Rocksteady Crane Thread Pte Ltd...

Edited by nebulaz

anyway, upz to those guys whom interested to learn more about safety from the people here...cheers

yes tower crane job pay around $6k

Good fer you.....goodboy88 whom just join with 2 post only(Suspicious)...cheers..

Different people have different goals, work for different results..

I am part of the group of idiots that works below market rate, fueled by passion, work hard (not only work smart), have own sense of (worthless) job satisfaction and willing to go beyond call of duty. Bread and butter is sufficient, no need for high end roti and gu you. Motorbike to travel, no need for BMW or Lexus.

There are other groups, who work for monetary gains (the more the merrier), work smart (Tai Ji away as much duties as possible), always draw clear line of responsibilities, curry flavors, office politics, etc.

To each his own, let's end the worthless debate above.

PAP or WP, the debate can never end.

End of the day, I am proud of what I am. (Good for me)

Are you? If you are, good for you. That's all you need to answer to yourself, no need to answer to others.

SafeSG.com - Bringing WSH Professionals Together

cool down nebu, this is a public thread and forum. :cool:

all are welcome.

it is with ppl coming together, advertisers see the benefits of advertising here and thus keeping this website alive and kicking.

as safety is everyone's business, like we always claim.

crane and lifting operations got to do a lot with safety and so do many other job types.

if we can deal with "shits" (like we always claim) at work, we can handle anything under the sun.

rocksteady and those not so steady are welcome.

regards,

cstay66

hp 9459 5300

Can I ask a newbie question?

May I ask currently, what are the standard required 12 sections of a Safety Management System that we are supposed to prepare?

Sorry, please do not flame me. I am inexperienced, thus asking and seeking advices from the many very experienced RSOs here.

Would appreciate that if you do not wish to help, please also do not flame me, cos I am really inexperienced. :)

Thank you.

Honda Phantom TA200, FV5349A (19/04/2005 - 28/06/2006)

Honda Super 4 Vtec 1, FS6537H (28/06/2006 - 13/02/2007)

Yamaha FJR1300 ABS, FBB661H (13/02/2007 - 31/05/2008)

Honda VFR800 ABS, FBB 404 J (31/05/2008 - 15/08/2009)

ADIVA AD 200, FBD 36 C (15/08/2009 - 13/05/2010, 1430hrs)

Yamaha FZ6N, FBA 7274 B (13/05/2010, 1430hrs - 03/05/2016, 1840hrs)

Yamaha FZ8, FBF 61*9 T (07/05/2016, 1130hrs - )

hi warforge,

wow, you sound so passionate about what you are doing.

but seriously, are you under some kind of stress?

take care bro.

life is not just about work and work satisfaction, at the end of the day, we go back to our loved ones.

money is not everything, but even our loved ones love money.

pap and wp are just illusion. but i kind of dreaming how pap behaves when they become the opposition party.

nothing wrong with curry favour, it is a flavour the world adored.

nothing wrong with office politic, not playing the game does not mean you will be safe and will not be "game over". play it right and you will be granted the next and higher level.

oh, about the motorbike, with coe so high, many will join you riding motorbike.

looking forward to a motorbike kingdom in the making.

Different people have different goals, work for different results..

I am part of the group of idiots that works below market rate, fueled by passion, work hard (not only work smart), have own sense of (worthless) job satisfaction and willing to go beyond call of duty. Bread and butter is sufficient, no need for high end roti and gu you. Motorbike to travel, no need for BMW or Lexus.

There are other groups, who work for monetary gains (the more the merrier), work smart (Tai Ji away as much duties as possible), always draw clear line of responsibilities, curry flavors, office politics, etc.

To each his own, let's end the worthless debate above.

PAP or WP, the debate can never end.

End of the day, I am proud of what I am. (Good for me)

Are you? If you are, good for you. That's all you need to answer to yourself, no need to answer to others.

regards,

cstay66

hp 9459 5300

hi mr seah,

if you are talking about the cp79, and the construction regulations, you are referring to the 14 elements in the safety and health management system.

sorry me from construction, and i only familiar with construction, some more the old old batch one, very experience one but kinda of not very updated one, quite moldy oledi...

if quote wrongly, don't flame me.

Can I ask a newbie question?

May I ask currently, what are the standard required 12 sections of a Safety Management System that we are supposed to prepare?

Sorry, please do not flame me. I am inexperienced, thus asking and seeking advices from the many very experienced RSOs here.

Would appreciate that if you do not wish to help, please also do not flame me, cos I am really inexperienced. :)

Thank you.

regards,

cstay66

hp 9459 5300