SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Safety officer

ET

I have been 6 years in construction but sad to say I have not seen any local safety officers, co-ordinators in all the company I worked for be it commercial or hdb projects.

Salary wise for safety personnel, newbie SCO working for consultant is abt $1.9k, SCO cum ECO abt $3.5k, SO abt $7k. N I liked the SO in my current company, done his job well but he is leaving the company too, n he said to me tat he will worked for another 5yrs before returning back to India.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Hope 1 day we can work together in the same project.

My company's EHS dept, only 2 out of 14 personnel are FT. So it would be very high chance you'll see all locals.

SafeSG.com - Bringing WSH Professionals Together

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hope 1 day we can work together in the same project.

My company's EHS dept, only 2 out of 14 personnel are FT. So it would be very high chance you'll see all locals.

Tats great bro, sg sud really cut down on ft, im sure we have lots of local talents who can fill in the slots

nowsday SAFETY OFFicer turnover rate is very very high cos my SO kena fire or force to resign...do u know how pai sey to be treated this way.....PM shouting at SO, even CHN worker shouting back at SO so SO is like mad dog on site....i have a friend working at Crane operator told me his site SO already change 8 times.....So my advise to all who want to join safety, think 3 times before u decide to become SO.

i work as PM for many year but i took up WSH level C and pass the course but regret taking it cos when i went to apply WSH officer regisration, i was interviewed for 1.30 hrs and in the end my application was rejected....so i suggest taking crane operator regisration cos it automatically register without interview....I have the WSH level C but i cant work as WSH officer...so in the end i give up and many of my classmate after passing the WSH level C but never register cos they want to save the $110. I heard from my classmate nowadays it is very hard to get Register of WSH officer.

See below you see so many registered Safety officer in singapore and u check newspaper so little many Safety officer job on ads. so many RSO so little job how? HOW?

http://www.mom.gov.sg/Documents/safety-health/List%20of%20WSH%20Officers.pdf

Goodboy88, ur a crane operator or safety personnel?

Edited by goodboy88

Hi goodboy88,

PM pai tang meh? why switch to safety officer?

what questions did they asked during the panel interview and what answer did you provide? the lack of safety experience or failure to provide a standard answer could be detrimental. if you can share, i can tell where you have gone wrong. it could benefit others as well.

there are a total of less than 5,000 registered safety officers, as seen in mom website. this is far less than the 16,000 safety officers target mom wants to achieve. with level c, mom want more ppl to take on safety officer roles. if they reject competent person who wish to be registered as safety officers, i trust they have a strong reason.

bear in mind, the workplace safety and health act has been extended to cover all workplaces and with less than 5,000 safety officers, we are seriously short handed.

at any one time, we have 4,000 to 5,000 registered construction worksites, big and small, 16,000 registered factories and yards with more than 100 workers, 500,000 shops, retails, restaurants, foodcourts, hawker centres, ??? hotel, ??? offices....

there is still room for safety officers, plenty.

you may get rid of one safety officer, but he will find job quickly in another place. no sweat.

i work as PM for many year but i took up WSH level C and pass the course but regret taking it cos when i went to apply WSH officer regisration, i was interviewed for 1.30 hrs and in the end my application was rejected....so i suggest taking crane operator regisration cos it automatically register without interview....I have the WSH level C but i cant work as WSH officer...so in the end i give up and many of my classmate after passing the WSH level C but never register cos they want to save the $110. I heard from my classmate nowadays it is very hard to get Register of WSH officer.

See below you see so many registered Safety officer in singapore and u check newspaper so little many Safety officer job on ads. so many RSO so little job how? HOW?

http://www.mom.gov.sg/Documents/safety-health/List%20of%20WSH%20Officers.pdf

regards,

cstay66

hp 9459 5300

read my love-hate relationship with my wee.

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2305336&postcount=35

1987-kawasaki gto 110, 1990-honda rebel 250, 2004-suzuki vstrom dl650, 2009-yamaha fjr 1300, 2011-kawasaki er6f

Ok let me share what they ask like

what is the effective date for WSH(construction) regulation or any other regulation.....

PM job hard to earn lah...cos nowsday lack of workers....so progress of work than slow....so i want switch safety cos dont need worry of status of project progress.....

Moreover PM do dirty job like to attend resident complaint...some complaint like your co worker woo maid.....

Sg have more than 5000 WSH officer...so u see newspaper how many WSH officer job available on ads? So that means that one job ads on WSH officer, 5000 WSH officer applying for it.

Moreover sg have so many training centre (SP,BCA,NP....) conducting WSH level C...so many ppl graduate with WSH level C cert every month.....

Hi goodboy88,

PM pai tang meh? why switch to safety officer?

what questions did they asked during the panel interview and what answer did you provide? the lack of safety experience or failure to provide a standard answer could be detrimental. if you can share, i can tell where you have gone wrong. it could benefit others as well.

there are a total of less than 5,000 registered safety officers, as seen in mom website. this is far less than the 16,000 safety officers target mom wants to achieve. with level c, mom want more ppl to take on safety officer roles. if they reject competent person who wish to be registered as safety officers, i trust they have a strong reason.

bear in mind, the workplace safety and health act has been extended to cover all workplaces and with less than 5,000 safety officers, we are seriously short handed.

at any one time, we have 4,000 to 5,000 registered construction worksites, big and small, 16,000 registered factories and yards with more than 100 workers, 500,000 shops, retails, restaurants, foodcourts, hawker centres, ??? hotel, ??? offices....

there is still room for safety officers, plenty.

you may get rid of one safety officer, but he will find job quickly in another place. no sweat.

Edited by goodboy88

so wat you wan young man? pm pai tang, rso pai cho. wat's left for you?

unless you have decided to become a crane operator (not an easy job to me though), suggest you start from level b - be a safety co-ordinator for a year or two. seem like there is no easy way out.

if question liddat asked by mom, you should score with ease. if your answer comes with a slight hesitation or delay at any one point, i will show you the door. this one is serious.

of course the level c course will not teach you when the bla bla bla regulations starts when, affect which industry, who will be responsible etc etc etc. and surely not the details of them all. you need to read up on your own. know the safety law inside out. rso is a lawyer job, you know. if not, who do you think empowers you to act as a registered workplace safety and health officer?

bosses everywhere will ask wat is the minimum law requirements? wat did the law say? how it affects me? why i should do it? don't do wat fine/penalty? you need to advise them like a lawyer or a law professor. you get me?

your value begins from knowing the law and the position/responsibility you carry and the power you discharge.

knowledge is power and with such power, comes responsibility.

of cos, knowledge can also mean you are puff up and have a lot of air.

Ok let me share what they ask like

what is the effective date for WSH(construction) regulation or any other regulation.....

PM job hard to earn lah...cos nowsday lack of workers....so progress of work than slow....so i want switch safety cos dont need worry of status of project progress.....

Moreover PM do dirty job like to attend resident complaint...some complaint like your co worker woo maid.....

Sg have more than 5000 WSH officer...so u see newsday how many WSH officer job available?

Moreover sg have so many training centre conducting WSH level C...

regards,

cstay66

hp 9459 5300

1987-kawasaki gto 110, 1990-honda rebel 250, 2004-suzuki vstrom dl650, 2009-yamaha fjr 1300, 2011-kawasaki er6f

ai yah i not young man lah... i work PM many years...to start from below of taking level b is hard for me since i already have level c. So it is like you have Degree in WSH than i advise u to take cert in WSH level b...dont you think you giving me wrong advice?

So your advise to all ppl taking WSH level C so they must read and remember all the Regulation by hard...so to prepare for MOM interview for RSO is it?

So WSH officer must be like lawyer on site...wow so hard life must know all regulation by hard and remember in their head....i suggest taking crane operator license better so dont need to know so much and can earn $10K per month.

so wat you wan young man? pm pai tang, rso pai cho. wat's left for you?

unless you have decided to become a crane operator (not an easy job to me though), suggest you start from level b - be a safety co-ordinator for a year or two. seem like there is no easy way out.

if question liddat asked by mom, you should score with ease. if your answer comes with a slight hesitation or delay at any one point, i will show you the door. this one is serious.

of course the level c course will not teach you when the bla bla bla regulations starts when, affect which industry, who will be responsible etc etc etc. and surely not the details of them all. you need to read up on your own. know the safety law inside out. rso is a lawyer job, you know. if not, who do you think empowers you to act as a registered workplace safety and health officer?

bosses everywhere will ask wat is the minimum law requirements? wat did the law say? how it affects me? why i should do it? don't do wat fine/penalty? you need to advise them like a lawyer or a law professor. you get me?

your value begins from knowing the law and the position/responsibility you carry and the power you discharge.

knowledge is power and with such power, comes responsibility.

of cos, knowledge can also mean you are puff up and have a lot of air.

my dear "not so young man",

i agreed with you that the hardest thing in life is to accept the reality and eat the humble pie.

i was once asked to take a job which is half my previous pay package and i took it with stride and i really don't like the feeling of it. but what could i do? the economy was not on my side and there were mouths to be fed.

was it a no no to take a certificate course when you already had a degree? i don't know. but i had a cousin who once hid his master degree and showed only his diploma when he needed a job so badly during a time when jobs were scarce. it could be hard for some to stoop. it all depend on how hungry you are.

regarding how well-versed you need to be with the regulations? my take is that if you know not the law, how to understand the requirements, if you understand not, how to advise, if you cannot advise properly, how you expect the ppl to follow? even if you are a hands-on rso, how you know you need to provide what barricade, at where and when? etc etc.

i once asked an uncle who used to parked his bike next to mine at the same carpark what job was he doing. he said he is currently a foot reflexologist. he used to operate cranes in construction. i said why he didn't continue. he said he old liao, eye not so sharp, cannot make it oledi. i said to him "you don't look that old".. he smiled smiled and said "outside look good, inside chui liao." it's time to move on.

ai yah i not young man lah... i work PM many years...to start from below of taking level b is hard for me since i already have level c. So it is like you have Degree in WSH than i advise u to take cert in WSH level b...dont you think you giving me wrong advice?

So your advise to all ppl taking WSH level C so they must read and remember all the Regulation by hard...so to prepare for MOM interview for RSO is it?

So WSH officer must be like lawyer on site...wow so hard life must know all regulation by hard and remember in their head....i suggest taking crane operator license better so dont need to know so much and can earn $10K per month.

regards,

cstay66

hp 9459 5300

Sometimes, it's bread and butter.

Sometimes, it's passion and interest.

I really must salute those childcare teachers, who made the news headlines recently.

Got diploma got degree, work like mad and kanar left-right-up-down by parents, yet take lesser than my banglah supervisors.

If you think your $$ is pai tan, then what about them? They clean sh!t, literally, and take less than 1/2 your pai tan $$ (or less than 1/5 of your said TCO $$).

I'm quite sure they never went to university with the dream to clean sh!t, It's all passion and interest.

Whatever you're doing, be it work, game, hobby; you need passion and interest. Otherwise a tiny setback will send you packing.

Edited by WarForGe
sh!t got censored.

SafeSG.com - Bringing WSH Professionals Together

for your info i know a lot of RSO are driving taxi cos they say RSO job nowsday dying loh....

my dear "not so young man",

i agreed with you that the hardest thing in life is to accept the reality and eat the humble pie.

i was once asked to take a job which is half my previous pay package and i took it with stride and i really don't like the feeling of it. but what could i do? the economy was not on my side and there were mouths to be fed.

was it a no no to take a certificate course when you already had a degree? i don't know. but i had a cousin who once hid his master degree and showed only his diploma when he needed a job so badly during a time when jobs were scarce. it could be hard for some to stoop. it all depend on how hungry you are.

regarding how well-versed you need to be with the regulations? my take is that if you know not the law, how to understand the requirements, if you understand not, how to advise, if you cannot advise properly, how you expect the ppl to follow? even if you are a hands-on rso, how you know you need to provide what barricade, at where and when? etc etc.

i once asked an uncle who used to parked his bike next to mine at the same carpark what job was he doing. he said he is currently a foot reflexologist. he used to operate cranes in construction. i said why he didn't continue. he said he old liao, eye not so sharp, cannot make it oledi. i said to him "you don't look that old".. he smiled smiled and said "outside look good, inside chui liao." it's time to move on.

its their choice wad to do in life... we all have a choice.. just do wads best for us dats all ..no regrets..If you tink safety is good as a career, go for it... nobody pointing a gun to anyone head to die die join safety...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/nebulaz/KTM-Pink-1.jpg

HUA Hua hua....WADEVER..AR you STOOPID OR WAD? HUA hua hua version 2.....

Read the following article on taxi driving:

http://www.therealsingapore.com/content/singapore-driving-taxis-usually-last-resort

Last Friday, around 10pm, I picked an interesting New Zealander at Changi Airport. After loading his single haversack into the trunk of my taxi, we set off to his hostel at Thomson Road, with him seated at my side. He seems like a friendly chap with a constant smile on his face and being a chatty cabby myself, we began an interesting conversation on the journey.

He told me that he purposely came over to Singapore for a week of holiday after his business seminar in Australia. He felt extremely safe here, not like other South East Asian countries or the United States. He further revealed that whenever he takes taxis in New York, there is a 95% chance that the cabby is a new immigrant, who hardly speaks English but it’s a reverse here. Life is easy for N.Y. cabbies, he said, as they do not have to ply the streets for 6-8 hours a day and most of the time they sits around waiting for a call booking. Then, without his asking, I began to ran a brief commentary of the reality of taxi business and life of a cabby here for his understanding.

I told him that all taxi drivers here are Singaporeans, as taxi vocational license is be given to Singapore citizen only. I don’t know of any other jobs here that has this requirement, where foreigners are not allowed to take up this vocation. Even in strategically important agencies like Temasek Holding, which is responsible for investing billion of dollars of public money, it does not require Singapore citizenship for their Number 1 position. Therefore, either taxi driving is the most privileged job in Singapore or it’s the last resort for redundant Singaporean workers. Of course, the former is not true.

I think the over 100,000 Singaporean with vocational taxi license, are all eligible voters. This large number of voters together with their family members, are politically important to the incumbent government and therefore cannot be taken lightly. They must be pampered and their vocation protected at all costs, not like other profession with small numbers. Therefore, to lose the astronomical number of cabby’s vote is suicidal but ironically, most cabbies never have good words for the PAP. I’m sure their votes are likewise.

“Driving a taxi in Singapore is usually the last resort when a person can’t find another suitable job because of old age or after retrenchment.”

On the ground and in reality, driving a taxi in Singapore is usually the last resort when a person can’t find another suitable job because of old age or after retrenchment. It’s not a glamorous or ultra lucrative job. More than half the earnings of a taxi driver goes to the taxi companies as rental and fuel. A taxi driver do not enjoy things like paid annual leave or holidays. Apart from this setback, this is the only job I know where you had to pay for not working.

A typical taxi driver, drives for 10 hours a day and earns about $12 an hour. There is no medical benefits, no CPF and no pension…..Yet you can find plenty of taxi drivers here with a diploma or university education. The taxi companies do all they can to get every taxi rented out to drivers, regardless of the demand on the street. As long as rentals are collected promptly, they do not care how the drivers survive. Can you blame them? No. All companies operate to seek maximum profit, just like the way the PAP runs this place. And every year, SMRT and COMFORT report double digit earnings growth, just like the PAP with impressive GNP.

Now, my point is, Singaporeans are lucky to have some well educated cabbies. Presently, the minimum academic qualification to become a taxi driver here is a Cambridge University “O” level certificate as advertised by Comfort. In other countries, educated citizens would be employed as “professionals” in various organizations. But in Singapore, PAP helps all companies with supply of plentiful cheap foreign talents to help fill those “professional” positions, so Singaporeans can be freed up to work as cabbies.

And nowadays, more educated Singaporean are becoming cabbies, ladies included, as a result of this large influx of foreign talents who had taken the jobs which otherwise Singaporean can do and surely not because a joker says that a cabby earns $7k a month. I think many jobs in the IT industries, nursing, sales & marketing, just to name a few, are filled by cheap FT, leaving educated Singaporean to consider taxi driving as a viable career. It’s always better to be a cabby than jobless though with a diploma in hand, right?.

My passenger was impressed with my commentary and allowed me to have a photo shot of him for this posting. Unfortunately, he left without a tip for me except my sour throat.

James Lim

* The author is a 65 years old Singaporean Cabby. He blogs at http://cabby65.blogspot.sg

for your info i know a lot of RSO are driving taxi cos they say RSO job nowsday dying loh....

regards,

cstay66

hp 9459 5300

i think this suku can ignore him. cry father cry mother, work SO cannot tahan ppl scold, proclaim work as pm but stress. always tried him utmost to put ppl down. i suspect he himself is working in safety line, try put others down so that lesser ppl can compete with him.

anyway, if you got "liao" dont need scared ppl will and can over run you, only low self esteem ppl cry like you, old man

Dear senior and experienced RSOs here,

May I ask a question?

It is stated on MOM website that "...The qualification accepted prior to January 2008 is the Safety Officer Training Course (SOTC) (now discontinued). Applicant with this qualification is required to submit the "Risk Management Test for WSHOs" Certificate." (MOM 2013).

May I ask if any one of you knows where one person, with such "prior to January 2008 certificate", can attend and take this "Risk Management Test for WSHOs" test?

Would prefer one training provider which is recognised and accredited by MOM, to avoid the disappointment of MOM not recognising this "Risk Management Test for WSHOs" Certificate after taking and passing the test.

Please do keep your flamings (if any) and any unconstructive comments to yourself.

Thank you.

Meng Hwee.

Honda Phantom TA200, FV5349A (19/04/2005 - 28/06/2006)

Honda Super 4 Vtec 1, FS6537H (28/06/2006 - 13/02/2007)

Yamaha FJR1300 ABS, FBB661H (13/02/2007 - 31/05/2008)

Honda VFR800 ABS, FBB 404 J (31/05/2008 - 15/08/2009)

ADIVA AD 200, FBD 36 C (15/08/2009 - 13/05/2010, 1430hrs)

Yamaha FZ6N, FBA 7274 B (13/05/2010, 1430hrs - 03/05/2016, 1840hrs)

Yamaha FZ8, FBF 61*9 T (07/05/2016, 1130hrs - )

if you are the old timer rso, you need to take a risk management course for wsho in poly to make up the lack of it when you attended the sotc when risk management is not one of the module.

https://www1.np.edu.sg/cet/crm/home.aspx?id=52295722-89c7-df11-b0ae-0010184d147a

if you didn't take the rm course for wsho, you will not be allowed to renew your wsho registration.

Dear senior and experienced RSOs here,

May I ask a question?

It is stated on MOM website that "...The qualification accepted prior to January 2008 is the Safety Officer Training Course (SOTC) (now discontinued). Applicant with this qualification is required to submit the "Risk Management Test for WSHOs" Certificate." (MOM 2013).

May I ask if any one of you knows where one person, with such "prior to January 2008 certificate", can attend and take this "Risk Management Test for WSHOs" test?

Would prefer one training provider which is recognised and accredited by MOM, to avoid the disappointment of MOM not recognising this "Risk Management Test for WSHOs" Certificate after taking and passing the test.

Please do keep your flamings (if any) and any unconstructive comments to yourself.

Thank you.

Meng Hwee.

regards,

cstay66

hp 9459 5300

if you are the old timer rso, you need to take a risk management course for wsho in poly to make up the lack of it when you attended the sotc when risk management is not one of the module.

https://www1.np.edu.sg/cet/crm/home.aspx?id=52295722-89c7-df11-b0ae-0010184d147a

if you didn't take the rm course for wsho, you will not be allowed to renew your wsho registration.

Thank you, Sir, for your prompt advice.

I am definitely old-timer who needs to attend the risk management course for wsho.

Thank you so much.

I will go have a look at the link you provided.

Cheers. :)

Hi, all,

Just want to share with all.

I know there will be little or almost none here, but just in case, if there are some safety personnels here with the "old" type of WSH Certificates like me and need to attend this Risk Management Test for WSHOs" Course and Test in order to get the certificate.

Please refer here.

https://www.wshc.sg/wps/themes/html/upload/cms/file/RM.pdf

You may wish to contact me at 8two88 9one66.

I will tell you more about this as I have found out some information from a lecturer in SP who is in charge of this course.

All other unneccessary, non-constructive, flamming, lousy, insulting, etc... comments, please keep to yourself.

Thanks.

Meng Hwee.

Anyone worked with or in Yes Construction before? Just had an interview with them..

Bikes Owned: LC125 RXZ135 GSXR400RP CB400VS CB400Spec2 SV650 02CBRF4i FZ1000 CBR929 05YZF-R6 CBR150 HondaSonic125 Yamaha_CygnusX125 KymcoGrandink_250 Hornet_250 04_Yamaha_Tmax Silverwing 400 FZ6_S2 GSXR600K7

Current bikes: NIL

Gear 4th

http://45.media.tumblr.com/f183dbd75b05df79cf6f77dba98d7339/tumblr_o1sqbk4h8Z1s5rcozo1_400.gif

They are my sub. Used to be bad, slightly improved now. Hope you can make them better.

You're joining them as?

Wont be joining them just took up an offer from ISS as safety coordinator. Stationed at SGH. Finally opened the door to safety. Actually working for main con or sub con better? Can I say main con is better as safety guys we actually audit our sub con and make sure they comply?

Bikes Owned: LC125 RXZ135 GSXR400RP CB400VS CB400Spec2 SV650 02CBRF4i FZ1000 CBR929 05YZF-R6 CBR150 HondaSonic125 Yamaha_CygnusX125 KymcoGrandink_250 Hornet_250 04_Yamaha_Tmax Silverwing 400 FZ6_S2 GSXR600K7

Current bikes: NIL

Gear 4th

http://45.media.tumblr.com/f183dbd75b05df79cf6f77dba98d7339/tumblr_o1sqbk4h8Z1s5rcozo1_400.gif